|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mizuno MX_23

Mizuno MX_23

Sh$$$$t... I bit a bullet... I 've tracked 2 sets, one ended today at 11 AM but then I had to travel to NY for a business trip. It started out at $99.99 for 5i-PW plus a White Hot putter which I don't really need. So, when I left at 8:30AM this morning, I put in $140 as my max... later I learned that someone else also bid $140 in the end ($10 shipping) , but since I put in $140 way ahead of him/her/AC-DC, I won the bid... If they play as good as you guys said then I will put my Cally X-16 on eBay which I have kept as my guess set
    Will let you guys/girls/AC-DC know when I have a chance to try out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MX23-White Hot putter.JPG 
Views:	450 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	2739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exsar Blue R shaft.JPG 
Views:	418 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	2740  

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Sh$$$$t... I bit a bullet... I 've tracked 2 sets, one ended today at 11 AM but then I had to travel to NY for a business trip. It started out at $99.99 for 5i-PW plus a White Hot putter which I don't really need. So, when I left at 8:30AM this morning, I put in $140 as my max... later I learned that someone else also bid $140 in the end ($10 shipping) , but since I put in $140 way ahead of him/her/AC-DC, I won the bid... If they play as good as you guys said then I will put my Cally X-16 on eBay which I have kept as my guess set

Man, whoever owned those clubs before sure likes to bang their irons around. Those things have some serious dents, dings and scratches. I have no doubt that you will like the performance and feel much better than the Cally X-16 irons.

BTW, if you haven't tried them, the Callaway X-12 irons with Firm RCH 99 graphite shafts are the best I've ever tried. Huge distance and incredible feel.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    You,ll throw rocks at everything else. They look nicer then the pictures, as the flash hurt the picture. MX-23,s are as good as they get. That putter looks interesting.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    You,ll throw rocks at everything else. They look nicer then the pictures, as the flash hurt the picture. MX-23,s are as good as they get. That putter looks interesting.
    And he'll hit them so well that he'll end up buying a 4 iron with same shaft later on.

Congrats Pky. Once you try GFF you will never go back to Crappaway. I predict in six months or less you will be getting fitted for the latest GFF JPX 800 (or equivalent).
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Congrats Pky. Once you try GFF you will never go back to Crappaway. I predict in six months or less you will be getting fitted for the latest GFF JPX 800 (or equivalent).
    Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC... I hope they would perform for my swing. Can't wait to hit them at the range

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    And he'll hit them so well that he'll end up buying a 4 iron with same shaft later on.
    I truly enjoy the long irons in the mx forged line, it keeps me coming back for more. I saw a 2 iron mx 20 that I may have to buy. Just to see if I can hit that.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

You did good, Pky. I do believe you will enjoy the feel of these irons.

I am not so sure that the Exsar blue shafts are going to work for me as they are about 60 grams lighter than what I've been playing (DG S300); I got quick and lost tempo the 1st time out. Will give them a few rounds before making judgment.

Speaking on graphite iron shafts I have tried, the Aldila NV MLTI 105 Pro has been the closest to steel in performance (mid trajectory), and feel for my swing tempo; the moderately higher weight seems to make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    You did good, Pky. I do believe you will enjoy the feel of these irons.

I am not so sure that the Exsar blue shafts are going to work for me as they are about 60 grams lighter than what I've been playing (DG S300); I got quick and lost tempo the 1st time out. Will give them a few rounds before making judgment.

Speaking on graphite iron shafts I have tried, the Aldila NV MLTI 105 Pro has been the closest to steel in performance (mid trajectory), and feel for my swing tempo; the moderately higher weight seems to make the difference.
    Most steel shafts are in the range of 95-105g and I believe they are too heavy for me. Hopefully the shaft that come with these clubs would work well for me. I think my OEM Cally graphite shaft is about 75g.

Question: any special care for GFF head ? vs. cast iron head. Thanks

Most steel shafts are in the range of 95-105g and I believe they are too heavy for me. Hopefully the shaft that come with these clubs would work well for me. I think my OEM Cally graphite shaft is about 75g.

Yes, wrap them in cotton wool between rounds, place them on the mantle piece where you can gaze longingly at them when unable to get out and play and take them to bed with you at night. WARNING:Your wife might find this a bit strange and will be a little put out at first but in time she will come to understand the magic of GFF.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yes, wrap them in cotton wool between rounds, place them on the mantle piece where you can gaze longingly at them when unable to get out and play and take them to bed with you at night. WARNING:Your wife might find this a bit strange and will be a little put out at first but in time she will come to understand the magic of GFF.
    Yeap !!! I got the picture

The MX 23's I just bought do not have the thick chrome plating of my MP 14's so I think they should be a good bit more durable. The only thing is if the ones you just got have started to oxidize in the sweet spot areas on the faces is to make sure you wipe them dry and maybe wipe in a little WD 40 to keep the rust down. A bonus I discovered with mine is that they are about 1/2" over standard and the lies are a bit flatter than my others. Flatter lies means shorter people might be able to put better hits on them. I may have to get my other irons bent a bit.

The MX 23's I just bought do not have the thick chrome plating of my MP 14's so I think they should be a good bit more durable. The only thing is if the ones you just got have started to oxidize in the sweet spot areas on the faces is to make sure you wipe them dry and maybe wipe in a little WD 40 to keep the rust down. A bonus I discovered with mine is that they are about 1/2" over standard and the lies are a bit flatter than my others. Flatter lies means shorter people might be able to put better hits on them. I may have to get my other irons bent a bit.
    I just got back from GolfMart. They have two new indoor hitting areas with the launch monitors and LCD screens. The device is about 18 inches high and sits in on the other side of the ball about two feet in front. A little green light goes on indicating the ball is in the correct position and is ready to be hit.

Anyway, I tried the following irons:

Ping Zing
    Cobra Oversized Norman model
    Adams Irons (Dave's set)
    Titleist 990

The Cobra Norman model sure looked good but I didn't like the Rifle 6.0 shafts. Distance was poor.

The Ping Zing distance was OK but the feel just wasn't there.

The Adams felt great but lacked in distance.

Titleist 990s were superior in every category. What's really strange is that I got the best distance out of this iron yet it has the weakest loft. I think it has something to do with the DGS 300 shaft being better suited for my swing. The additioanal distance increase with the 990 was substantial. I was hitting the 8 iron right around 150 yards yet the other irons only got around 135 to 140.

The biggest difference is feel. The Titleist 990 irons feel WAY better than the rest. The Adams felt great in a different way but didn't feel as solid.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I just got back from GolfMart. They have two new indoor hitting areas with the launch monitors and LCD screens. The device is about 18 inches high and sits in on the other side of the ball about two feet in front. A little green light goes on indicating the ball is in the correct position and is ready to be hit.

Anyway, I tried the following irons:

Ping Zing
    Cobra Oversized Norman model
    Adams Irons (Dave's set)
    Titleist 990

The Cobra Norman model sure looked good but I didn't like the Rifle 6.0 shafts. Distance was poor.

The Ping Zing distance was OK but the feel just wasn't there.

The Adams felt great but lacked in distance.

Titleist 990s were superior in every category. What's really strange is that I got the best distance out of this iron yet it has the weakest loft. I think it has something to do with the DGS 300 shaft being better suited for my swing. The additioanal distance increase with the 990 was substantial. I was hitting the 8 iron right around 150 yards yet the other irons only got around 135 to 140.

The biggest difference is feel. The Titleist 990 irons feel WAY better than the rest. The Adams felt great in a different way but didn't feel as solid.
    Some irons just feel better with certain shafts. I put the same shafts at the same lengths in my MP 14's and Titleist 755's. The Tit 755 PW is 47*, 9 is 43* and 8 is 39*. The old Mizunos are PW-50*, 9-45* and 8-40*. I hit the Mizunos a couple of yards farther and think that maybe the look and feel of the heads enables me to beat down on them a bit more delofting the shots or something like that.

Some irons just feel better with certain shafts. I put the same shafts at the same lengths in my MP 14's and Titleist 755's. The Tit 755 PW is 47*, 9 is 43* and 8 is 39*. The old Mizunos are PW-50*, 9-45* and 8-40*. I hit the Mizunos a couple of yards farther and think that maybe the look and feel of the heads enables me to beat down on them a bit more delofting the shots or something like that.
    I think you're on to something in regard to the look of the iron enabling you to swing differently. The 990 iron just looks like I can go after it. Also, I really liked the look of the Cobra Oversize Norman Grind iron and I think I would have liked them more with a Dynamic Gold shaft.

Take from a short guy; once you've gone flat you won't go back. It will allow you to really go after the ball without fear of a big yank or hook to the left. My wedges are 4* flat the rest are 2.5 to 3*.

Pky, like Mongrel says for care, and I will add to make sure grooves get cleaned out before putting them up after a round or anything used on the fairways will get trapped in there and start eating away.

I'm liking the look of the new Bridgestone irons

Name:	j40.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	2743  

[/B]

Take from a short guy; once you've gone flat you won't go back. It will allow you to really go after the ball without fear of a big yank or hook to the left. My wedges are 4* flat the rest are 2.5 to 3*.

Pky, like Mongrel says for care, and I will add to make sure grooves get cleaned out before putting them up after a round or anything used on the fairways will get trapped in there and start eating away.
    I'm around 6' but have semi-knuckle-dragger arms. My typical score-f*cking shots are pulled short irons. Like hitting a 260 yard drive in the center of the fairway and yanking the 9 iron left into double bogey territory. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I guess I really should go get some lies checked but am at the mercy of whoever is working the shop that day and I'd rather check and bend myself but don't have the machine.

I don't know if its my set up but your pictures do not display either at home or at work. All I get is "attached image" and white space.

I don't know if its my set up but your pictures do not display either at home or at work. All I get is "attached image" and white space.
    It may be because I used Firefox as the search engine.

It may be because I used Firefox as the search engine.
    I've been using Firefox and upload pix here without problems

I've been using Firefox and upload pix here without problems
    I never said I had a problem uploading them. Mongrel said he can't see them. Can you see the photos I've uploaded? The last one was of the new bridgestone iron and Mizuno iron.

I never said I had a problem uploading them. Mongrel said he can't see them. Can you see the photos I've uploaded? The last one was of the new bridgestone iron and Mizuno iron.
    I went to the Gallery where they came up. The new Bridgestone and Mizuno irons don't look as good to me as older models. I see 3 Balls has a couple of sets of Bridgestone cavity backs that look interesting. Didn't the Aussie Bee Brothers (Appleby and Allenby) play them? I like the rear cavity weight bars better in the MX irons. Just based on basement chipping and hitting a few off the mat in the simulator, it looks like you can bend shots by coming into either the toe or heel side of that bar and hit it straight on for a straight shop. The feel of control is extraordinary.

[/B]

Thanks... will do

I believe I did see them

Apart from the titanium insert the iron head design looks very similar. The place where I bought the MP58s had Bridgestone irons, J38's I think, and I was eyeing them up too but the guy reckoned Mizuno were the superior forgings. Who was I to argue with his expertise?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Apart from the titanium insert the iron head design looks very similar. The place where I bought the MP58s had Bridgestone irons, J38's I think, and I was eyeing them up too but the guy reckoned Mizuno were the superior forgings. Who was I to argue with his expertise?
    You got the right set of irons. I agree with some of the other people who have commented that they are the best looking irons Mizuno has come out with in a long time. Let's face it, to be competitive these days you need some kind of insert in the cavity and the Mizuno one looks pretty classy.

That has happened to me ever since the forum upgrade.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    That has happened to me ever since the forum upgrade.
    Sometimes upgrades aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Looks almost indentical to the old TourStage Z-101, a classic, with a more satin finish.

You've got to love Craigslist. I'm bargaining with a guy right now to buy 3 brand new wedges for $140. Ping XG Sand Wedge, Ping XG Lob Wedge and a Ping Tour-S Satin 56 wedge, all with DGS 300 shafts.

You've got to love Craigslist. I'm bargaining with a guy right now to buy 3 brand new wedges for $140. Ping XG Sand Wedge, Ping XG Lob Wedge and a Ping Tour-S Satin 56 wedge, all with DGS 300 shafts.
    FD... I have not used Craigslist... Is it a local thing?

FD... I have not used Craigslist... Is it a local thing?
    No, go to the website and choose your city. It's like a giant classifieds section in the newspaper only it's free to post ads (for the most part). It's been around since 2005. I've bought some golf clubs for ridiculous prices. Be careful if buying Taylormade as their are many fakes out there.

No, go to the website and choose your city. It's like a giant classifieds section in the newspaper only it's free to post ads (for the most part). It's been around since 2005. I've bought some golf clubs for ridiculous prices. Be careful if buying Taylormade as their are many fakes out there.
    He lives in Delaware. There are some potentially great golf equipment bargains on its Craigslist right. Several COMPLETE SETS of both Affinity AND Acuity golf clubs for under $75 including bags. An extremely rare Titleist DCI 5 iron for $24. And left handed iron sets? My God. Must be something about Delaware's water supply but there are more left-handed sets advertised there than on Ebay. Now its a bit different down to the south in Baltimore where I am. Here, you gets your choice of multiple vintage sets of irons in original vintage leather bags. Like "These were my (take your pick) father's/grandfather's/Uncle George's clubs he bought when he got back from (take your pick) Korea/Viet Nam/Desert Storm. The irons are inevitably forged, coated with rust, and with grips of leather protected by a thick coating of greenish black mold. Prices will range from $99 to $439. Most common makes-- Spalding, Wilson, Top Flite.

He lives in Delaware. There are some potentially great golf equipment bargains on its Craigslist right. Several COMPLETE SETS of both Affinity AND Acuity golf clubs for under $75 including bags. An extremely rare Titleist DCI 5 iron for $24. And left handed iron sets? My God. Must be something about Delaware's water supply but there are more left-handed sets advertised there than on Ebay. Now its a bit different down to the south in Baltimore where I am. Here, you gets your choice of multiple vintage sets of irons in original vintage leather bags. Like "These were my (take your pick) father's/grandfather's/Uncle George's clubs he bought when he got back from (take your pick) Korea/Viet Nam/Desert Storm. The irons are inevitably forged, coated with rust, and with grips of leather protected by a thick coating of greenish black mold. Prices will range from $99 to $439. Most common makes-- Spalding, Wilson, Top Flite.
    Very funny. My experience with Craigslist is that most of the golf equipment is brand name and there are great deals to be had.

I do think it's funny when the seller goes into great detail as to why they are selling the clubs or how they are personally attached to them. Why do I care if the clubs were played by the seller's grandpa? I could care less about the old geezer. Or, why do I care if he's selling them because he needs stiff rather than regular shafts? Hey dude, I'm interested in the clubs not your biography, family roots or golfing nuances.

Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC...I will look into this

Received my 5i-PW MX-23 set yesterday, some "brown" spots where the club face is hit, I assume it's normal for forged clubs? anyway to clean them up? is it a sign that the outside chrome is wearing out?

Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC... will test them at the range this weekend

Received my 5i-PW MX-23 set yesterday, some "brown" spots where the club face is hit, I assume it's normal for forged clubs? anyway to clean them up? is it a sign that the outside chrome is wearing out?

That's normal for forged blades but less common with cavity backs with a satin finish. I don't know why but the satin finish models seem to wear better. You need to go to the FD school of buying and selling clubs. Never buy a set without photos of the faces, especially if they are forged. There are many other tricks of the trade I share in my 12 volume disk set for only $149.99 plus $32 shipping. Order now and you get a free pumpkin carving tool. But wait, that's not all, order in the next hour and you'll get FD's Top Ten GR Match Shots on DVD.

Where its brown, the chrome HAS worn off. I think there is a thin layer of nickel behind the chrome plating that serves as a protective barrier for the raw steel. This is normal. I bought my MP 14's with browned out PW, 9 and 7 iron but they hit fine. I just make sure to wash them off after use and dry them immediately after washing. You could always apply a little WD 40 or equivalent after washing and if the clubs are going to set unused for awhile. The 4 through 7 MX 23's I bought still have their faces intact and I will probably end up having to get a full set to get the 8 through wedge. Over the weekend I hit them some. At the range I was carrying the 7 iron 160-170 off the rubber and with their crappo Nike range balls. This is 10 yards farther than normal with my other irons. Out on the grass field, I hit some 7's over 190 yards which is almost unreal. Because of the shafts and lofts, I hit them a good bit lower than either the MP 14's or Tit 755's.

Where its brown, the chrome HAS worn off. I think there is a thin layer of nickel behind the chrome plating that serves as a protective barrier for the raw steel. This is normal. I bought my MP 14's with browned out PW, 9 and 7 iron but they hit fine. I just make sure to wash them off after use and dry them immediately after washing. You could always apply a little WD 40 or equivalent after washing and if the clubs are going to set unused for awhile. The 4 through 7 MX 23's I bought still have their faces intact and I will probably end up having to get a full set to get the 8 through wedge. Over the weekend I hit them some. At the range I was carrying the 7 iron 160-170 off the rubber and with their crappo Nike range balls. This is 10 yards farther than normal with my other irons. Out on the grass field, I hit some 7's over 190 yards which is almost unreal. Because of the shafts and lofts, I hit them a good bit lower than either the MP 14's or Tit 755's.
    Why don't you guys act like 12Sandwich and get the Mizuno Comp-EZ irons for under $100. To me they look better because there's no notch or undercut, they have less offset and are more streamlined. At the same time they feel fantastic and are extremely forgiving. The best part about the Comp-EZ is the shaft, Dynamic Golf Plus. It's one of the best shafts I've tried. Just so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by famousdavis; 10-12-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Why don't you guys act like 12Sandwich and get the Mizuno Comp-EZ irons for under $100. To me they look better because there's no notch or undercut, they have less offset and are more streamlined. At the same time they feel fantastic and are extremely forgiving. The best part about the Comp-EZ is the shaft, Dynamic Golf Plus. It's one of the best shafts I've tried. Just so.
    I may snag a set of those but all this damn talk about them seems to be driving prices up over a couple of weeks ago. I like the undercut soles on the 23's so far. Proof will come when I have the opportunity to hit them off tightly mown fairway lies. I really don't need all the offset but so far have not pulled them a whole lot and no snap hooks.

I may consider Comp EZ set if I hit MX-23 well this weekend

I may consider Comp EZ set if I hit MX-23 well this weekend
    I think I'm going to pick up a set of Mizuno Comp-EZs as well. It's a great looking iron, forged and forgiving. I think it's significantly more attractive than the MX line of clubs. Maybe we could start a Mizuno Comp-EZ club where we hold monthly meetings, attend cook outs and just sit around talking about how great our clubs are. Of course, membership would require proof of Comp-EZ ownership or sponsorhip from someone who owns the clubs until the sponsee can procure a set of his own.

I think I'm going to pick up a set of Mizuno Comp-EZs as well. It's a great looking iron, forged and forgiving. I think it's significantly more attractive than the MX line of clubs. Maybe we could start a Mizuno Comp-EZ club where we hold monthly meetings, attend cook outs and just sit around talking about how great our clubs are. Of course, membership would require proof of Comp-EZ ownership or sponsorhip from someone who owns the clubs until the sponsee can procure a set of his own.
    Sound like a plan

After the glowing recomendations from 12 Sandwich I picked up a set of Comp EZ from 3 balls last week. Paid $86 plus shipping for 3-pw with r300. They arrived yesterday and they are in pretty reasonable condition with only normal bag wear and no brown sweet spot wear. I haven't had the chance to hit them yet but will do on Saturday. I plan to make a combo set with my mx 25's which have been working well. I love the long and mid irons of the 25's but am not quite as happy with the short irons. The head size, offset and topline are very similar with the comp EZ so the combo should work out well. Lighter, higher flighted shafts in the 25's and slightly heavier in the short irons. Sounds like a goer. Lofts are the same in both sets.
    So that qualifies me for the club FD. I will report my findings at our next meeting.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

After the glowing recomendations from 12 Sandwich I picked up a set of Comp EZ from 3 balls last week. Paid $86 plus shipping for 3-pw with r300. They arrived yesterday and they are in pretty reasonable condition with only normal bag wear and no brown sweet spot wear. I haven't had the chance to hit them yet but will do on Saturday. I plan to make a combo set with my mx 25's which have been working well. I love the long and mid irons of the 25's but am not quite as happy with the short irons. The head size, offset and topline are very similar with the comp EZ so the combo should work out well. Lighter, higher flighted shafts in the 25's and slightly heavier in the short irons. Sounds like a goer. Lofts are the same in both sets.
    So that qualifies me for the club FD. I will report my findings at our next meeting.
    So what qualifies as as long/mid/short irons these days?

So are you thinking MX25 3-7 and EZ Comp 8-PW?

Now where the f#ck am I?

We really should all get a room.
    I'm still on a extended honeymoon with the Comp-EZs. The great shots just keep coming. I could go on how in a best ball, I mopped up so many many birdies. It was kind of cool everyone in my group felt compelled to compliment me and shake my hand on a great game, they claim I had.
    The Ezs inspire so much confidence, it's a major part of the appeal, they truly are ez to hit. Like a errant drive, the other day I had enough time for nine after work, I'm left with 140 yards and trees directly in front of me. The logical thing to do was punch it under, and take your licks. I decided to open up a 9 iron and hit it hard. It goes tick as it clips some leaves at the very top, and I'm expecting to be 30 or 40 yards short, only to be shocked that the ball was on the fringe, easy chip, one putt par.
    The bad part is the Comp-EZ was made from 1999 to 2001 and there not plentiful, or easy to find in good condition. It's one set I would buy new in a heartbeat, if they were still available new.

If you bought those from 3 Balls off Ebay, then you outbid me. Damn it. Too many people must be reading this forum. Sh*t. Yes, I'm looking for an 8, 9 and wedge to combo with the MX 23's and the Comp EZ's sound like the ticket.

I bet he doesn't. Once he hits those Comp-EZ long irons, he will ask himself, why? They are truly that easy to hit.

I bet he doesn't. Once he hits those Comp-EZ long irons, he will ask himself, why? They are truly that easy to hit.
    You seem to confuse the issues yourself... sometime you say Comp EZ is the best, the other times MX-23 is the best... so in all honesty, which is better for you ?

You seem to confuse the issues yourself... sometime you say Comp EZ is the best, the other times MX-23 is the best... so in all honesty, which is better for you ?
    The mx-23 I've played since they were introduced, almost a decade. I've been hard pressed to find anything better, until I went backwards, and tried the club, the mx-23 replaced. The mx-20 was in between, the mx-23,25,20 are all very similar. The Comp-ez is very similar in size, but a more attractive club, and the sole is entirely different. Much more narrow, but has all the feel, and forgiveness of the mx line. The shafts are very nice, and maybe as fd feels kind of special. Which club is better? If your used to a wider sole, then the mx line. The narrow sole is more my speed, as I move some real estate, and take a fair size divot. Both of them will make you all mushy inside on a good strike.

If you bought those from 3 Balls off Ebay, then you outbid me. Damn it. Too many people must be reading this forum. Sh*t. Yes, I'm looking for an 8, 9 and wedge to combo with the MX 23's and the Comp EZ's sound like the ticket.
    Yes I thought I might be bidding against a GR member. I'm glad you are a cheapskate and stopped at $84. i had my maximum set way higher than that as i didn't want to miss out on that set with those specs.
    There are quite a few sets around but you may have to pay a little more. i saw an excellent condition set for $264!!

I think the 7 iron could go either way. If they are as easy to hit as 12 Sandwich says they might outclass the 25's entirely.

I think the 7 iron could go either way. If they are as easy to hit as 12 Sandwich says they might outclass the 25's entirely.
    I would never use a 7 iron that goes both ways. Is that what PK refers to as AC/DC?

I would never use a 7 iron that goes both ways. Is that what PK refers to as AC/DC?

The set you picked up I believe where r300 with sensicore. I had them saved as well. I was considering bidding them to a 100, I forgot. I'm glad one of us got them.

The set you picked up I believe where r300 with sensicore. I had them saved as well. I was considering bidding them to a 100, I forgot. I'm glad one of us got them.
    Personally, I don't think you should be paying more than $80 for a set of Comp-EZ irons.

Personally, I don't think you should be paying more than $80 for a set of Comp-EZ irons.
    Your right. I think that set was on 3 balls for $90

That is correct. It's sort of a small world isn't it when at least 3 members of GR are watching the same auction.
    I reckon golf forum discussions sell more clubs than all the advertising budgets.
    There are some serious ho's out there in forum land.

I should explain that the sole on the comp-ez appears smaller. It actually is the slotted weight at the bottom that exaggerate the look of the sole, on the mx line. It's not really part of the sole, but it was blended in with the sole, making it look larger. I think it was done to move some weight a little lower. There really is very little difference in the way they play.

I need to here about the wet spot you got on a pure shot Ky. How did you hit them?

I need to here about the wet spot you got on a pure shot Ky. How did you hit them?
    Thanks for asking... It was quite windy yesterday and today but I said what the heck... I took 5i and PW of my beloved Cally 2002 BB and MX-23 to a local range. After hitting a large bucket, it's clear that the MX-23 irons are 1/2 to 1 club longer than my Cally 2002 BB.. It's not that important to me because I don't think it's a HUGE advantage... However, there is no doubt that the forged MX-23 has a G-spot... when I hit that G-spot it's "buttery sweet" like not hitting it at all... Now I know what that feel likes... so it's a keeper... I also got the new Nike bag for it, so I am looking for more fun in golf now...

Thanks for asking... It was quite windy yesterday and today but I said what the heck... I took 5i and PW of my beloved Cally 2002 BB and MX-23 to a local range. After hitting a large bucket, it's clear that the MX-23 irons are 1/2 to 1 club longer than my Cally 2002 BB.. It's not that important to me because I don't think it's a HUGE advantage... However, there is no doubt that the forged MX-23 has a G-spot... when I hit that G-spot it's "buttery sweet" like not hitting it at all... Now I know what that feel likes... so it's a keeper... I also got the new Nike bag for it, so I am looking for more fun in golf now...
    Quite windy here also early yesterday afternoon. Instead of going to the rubber mat range, I found my 40 acre rec&parks field vacant which was cool because I could hit 360* iron shots and drivers on the east/west plane. I hit a bunch of Tit 755 8 irons and MX 23 7 irons both with and against the wind and into crosswinds with my targets being kid-spec baseball infields. I hit the Tits pretty high and the wind will get them a bit but not balloon a well struck shot. The MX 23's I hit much lower but was amazed that into the wind the damn 7 iron was still carrying almost 170 when hit good. Downwind I hit several 195 to 200 yard 7 irons which is totally insane. The really bizarre thing is that I have a little left bias with the MX irons and into a headwind it didn't seem to affect the ball more than a yard or two. I hit about 10 of them with the wind blowing right to left hard from about 180 out. There were people just to the right of the backstop so I aimed at the pitcher's mound in the center of the infield. I tugged all 10 a bit to the left but only 3 of the ten ended up on the dirt portion just in front of first base. Balls were a mongrel-mixture of crappy pellets I've found in fields including various Topflites, Callaways, Wilsons, Ultras, couple of Nikes, a Pro V1 and NXT Tour and my lone remaining AD 333. Its like the club doesn't seem to care what it hits. I'm beginning to realize why people play MX sets starting with 5 or 6 irons.
    Last edited by mongrel; 10-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Quite windy here also early yesterday afternoon. Instead of going to the rubber mat range, I found my 40 acre rec&parks field vacant which was cool because I could hit 360* iron shots and drivers on the east/west plane. I hit a bunch of Tit 755 8 irons and MX 23 7 irons both with and against the wind and into crosswinds with my targets being kid-spec baseball infields. I hit the Tits pretty high and the wind will get them a bit but not balloon a well struck shot. The MX 23's I hit much lower but was amazed that into the wind the damn 7 iron was still carrying almost 170 when hit good. Downwind I hit several 195 to 200 yard 7 irons which is totally insane. The really bizarre thing is that I have a little left bias with the MX irons and into a headwind it didn't seem to affect the ball more than a yard or two. I hit about 10 of them with the wind blowing right to left hard from about 180 out. There were people just to the right of the backstop so I aimed at the pitcher's mound in the center of the infield. I tugged all 10 a bit to the left but only 3 of the ten ended up on the dirt portion just in front of first base. Balls were a mongrel-mixture of crappy pellets I've found in fields including various Topflites, Callaways, Wilsons, Ultras, couple of Nikes, a Pro V1 and NXT Tour and my lone remaining AD 333. Its like the club doesn't seem to care what it hits. I'm beginning to realize why people play MX sets starting with 5 or 6 irons.
    Sound like you enjoy the finding of the G-spot
    My Cally 2002 BB is 2* upright. I wonder if I should have my MX-23 adjust to 1-2* upright by Dick's Sporting Goods?

If memory serves you have the 2002 BB irons with graphite? I found the same thing with those irons in that they really don't provide much distance. For me the uniflex shaft just didn't seem to cut it. If they had Dynamic Gold in them they'd probably work better.

If memory serves you have the 2002 BB irons with graphite? I found the same thing with those irons in that they really don't provide much distance. For me the uniflex shaft just didn't seem to cut it. If they had Dynamic Gold in them they'd probably work better.
    You are correct... all of my irons have R-flex graphite shaft. I've tried steel shafts but they were/are too heavy for me. If I knew how best to reshaft irons then I would buy True Temper GL-75 (I think it's the same wt as my graphite) and do it myself. I think steel shaft would bring down trajectory and more distance

Sound like you enjoy the finding of the G-spot
    My Cally 2002 BB is 2* upright. I wonder if I should have my MX-23 adjust to 1-2* upright by Dick's Sporting Goods?
    The sweet spot does seem rather large. That hunk of metal on the back with the slot between it and the cavity is the motor that supplies the ooomph. Hit it anywhere in front of that and you are good to go. I think it is a ball width or more wide. You should take your irons, BB and MX 23, in somewhere and hit balls off a lie board and have the 23's bent to where you are hitting them center-face centered behind that hunk of metal. Besides the lies, the lie board will identify any problems with the irons' lengths.

It gets better as you find the g spot. Your going to like the distance, and I'm sure your finding them pretty easy to hit.
    It would be nice if you had a regular flex steel club to try. Your not talking a lot of money to reshaft 6 clubs, but your obviously acclamated to graphite. It may be worth finding a 6 iron in reg steel to try.
    Your on the path to enlightenment.

It gets better as you find the g spot. Your going to like the distance, and I'm sure your finding them pretty easy to hit.
    It would be nice if you had a regular flex steel club to try. Your not talking a lot of money to reshaft 6 clubs, but your obviously acclamated to graphite. It may be worth finding a 6 iron in reg steel to try.
    Your on the path to enlightenment.
    Thanks... I may find True Temper GS-75 steel shaft and reshaft my 5i for trial... What do you guys/girls/AC-DC think?

Thanks... I may find True Temper GS-75 steel shaft and reshaft my 5i for trial... What do you guys/girls/AC-DC think?
    It seems to me that the lighter the steel True Temper shaft, the stiffer it plays. The hosel bore diameter in your graphite shafted MX 23's is .370" while the steel hole is .355". I think the GS 75's only come in .370" so you are OK there. Instead of having one of your clubs reshafted, you might consider buying a 6 iron with regular flex steel shaft off Ebay for the same or less than the cost of one re-shaft. The standard steel shaft for the 23's was the Dynalite Gold that weights about 115 grams or so. That shaft has a low flex point and relatively soft tip designed to hit it higher although the ones I got with the R300 version hit much lower than my two other sets with Dynalite Gold SL's that weight around 101 grams.

I just achieved the single greatest craigslist purchase of all time. Details to follow.

It seems to me that the lighter the steel True Temper shaft, the stiffer it plays. The hosel bore diameter in your graphite shafted MX 23's is .370" while the steel hole is .355". I think the GS 75's only come in .370" so you are OK there. Instead of having one of your clubs reshafted, you might consider buying a 6 iron with regular flex steel shaft off Ebay for the same or less than the cost of one re-shaft. The standard steel shaft for the 23's was the Dynalite Gold that weights about 115 grams or so. That shaft has a low flex point and relatively soft tip designed to hit it higher although the ones I got with the R300 version hit much lower than my two other sets with Dynalite Gold SL's that weight around 101 grams.
    Thanks Mongrel... I will look out for a 6i/Dynalite Gold SL' R-flex to try.

I am just off the phone talking to a PGA prof who used to work at DuPont CC , now a teaching Pro at Inniscrone CC in Avondale PA (You should play this course when you have a chance). he's working at a local Dick's Sporting Goods in a golf shop. He asks me to bring in the MX-23 set so that he could watch my swing, me hitting a lie board etc... then he can determine how lie/loft need to be adjusted. I told him that in general I hit a ball on a high side, he thinks that he could deloft the clubs 1-2 degree to make the trajectory more penetration....

I am just off the phone talking to a PGA prof who used to work at DuPont CC , now a teaching Pro at Inniscrone CC in Avondale PA (You should play this course when you have a chance). he's working at a local Dick's Sporting Goods in a golf shop. He asks me to bring in the MX-23 set so that he could watch my swing, me hitting a lie board etc... then he can determine how lie/loft need to be adjusted. I told him that in general I hit a ball on a high side, he thinks that he could deloft the clubs 1-2 degree to make the trajectory more penetration....
    Is that course the links style design just west of Route 1? That's a great idea to go to him at Dicks. I don't know about delofting those 23's since the factory standard lofts are already jacked up. Your hitting those high could be due to the regular flex graphite shafts and I'd bet your trajectory would come down with light weight steel. The only irons I've ever had that hit lower were the Palmer Standard forged blades that I got with the heads bent 2* strong and, believe it or not, were set up that way for a girl. (granted she was the #1 on the Duke women's golf team at the time.)

Inniscrone CC in Avondale PA (You should play this course when you have a chance).
    I was thinking of the Wyncote links course on the other side of Route 1. I've driven by it a hundred times but never exited to check it out. Then there's the funky looking Loch Nairn with the 20 foot wide fairways lined with 50 foot pine trees to the north in New Town Square at the northern terminus of the Pennsylvania Autobahn. My father always promised that we would meet up half way and play that sometime but he didn't make it.

FOR $125 I got:

New Scotty Cameron Catalina oil can putter (1998) model
    Ping eye 2 irons
    Titleist 905r driver(like new(

To be continued

FOR $125 I got:

New Scotty Cameron Catalina oil can putter (1998) model
    Ping eye 2 irons
    Titleist 905r driver(like new(

To be continued
    you are lying thru your teeth for that price, unless those are stolen good

I was thinking of the Wyncote links course on the other side of Route 1. I've driven by it a hundred times but never exited to check it out. Then there's the funky looking Loch Nairn with the 20 foot wide fairways lined with 50 foot pine trees to the north in New Town Square at the northern terminus of the Pennsylvania Autobahn. My father always promised that we would meet up half way and play that sometime but he didn't make it.
    Yes, Wyncote is off route 10, it's a links style, I play there a few time, very good golf course
    http://www.wyncote.com/

Inniscrone is east of Wyncote, off Rt 41 in Avondale. If we don't hit straight and play smart this course would eat us alive, a lot of forced carry shots, The guy works at Dick's is a teaching pro here
    http://www.inniscronegolfcourse.com/...816&page=45305

Loch Nairn is close to Longwood Gardens - have not played it yet

Mongrel is dead on about the lighter weight true temper shafts playing stiffer then rated as far as flex. I had a set of GS 75 in stiff in some mx-23, 3-pw. They played pretty stiff, and I've played px shafts and like them. I have some GS 95 in some mp-37 5-pw in regular, and they play more like the s300 that were in there. The GS shafts and the SL dynalite shafts have S3 proprietary metal that plays stiffer. I think mongrel says try the dynalite gold shaft in regular, it's one of my favorite shafts in the mx-23. Plus it has a gorgeous ballflight. You got put a hard swing on them to hit them to high. You'll love that shaft. Don't worry about the weight, don't change the lofts, just make sure there 46* deg on the wedge and throughout the were there supposed to be, and if your under 6 foot most people need a flatter lie, not more upright. Everybodys different though.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 10-18-2011 at 04:57 PM.

....Ping Eye 2 Plus BeCu Lob Wedge (mint condition)
    Taylormade R510 TP with Fujikura Speeder shaft, like new
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 16 deg with Steel shaft
    Ping Anser 3 bronze putter, like new
    Ping Hoofer bag blue and black
    Taylormade Titanium Orange Driver, 10.5 Degree, Bubble shaft
    Vokey 56 Raw Steel Wedge, rusty but good condition

To be continued.....

PS: Not stolen, the guy was simply selling some clubs he got from his father.

....Inside the hoofer bag:

One Maxfli revolution ball (used and dirty..sigh)
    Several tees
    two ball markers
    A book on playing by the rules (some pages are bent...gasp)
    A quarter...Yeah!
    A club cleaning brush
    Cleaning towel that needs to be washed (the horror!)
    That's it. I wanted him to throw in this hickory shafted club but he wanted to keep it. Stingy fellow.

MX-23 Heads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BOC:US:1123

This GR stirred up the MX-23 club and someone was willing to pay $75 for 6 heads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BOC:US:1123

This GR stirred up the MX-23 club and someone was willing to pay $75 for 6 heads
    I was watching that but I need 8, 9 and wedge and that set was missing the wedge so I passed it by.

....Callaway Steelhead 10 degree driver, RCH 99 Firm shaft
    ....Sharpie Pen...black but no longer working

Is that course the links style design just west of Route 1? That's a great idea to go to him at Dicks. I don't know about delofting those 23's since the factory standard lofts are already jacked up. Your hitting those high could be due to the regular flex graphite shafts and I'd bet your trajectory would come down with light weight steel. The only irons I've ever had that hit lower were the Palmer Standard forged blades that I got with the heads bent 2* strong and, believe it or not, were set up that way for a girl. (granted she was the #1 on the Duke women's golf team at the time.)
    I took my 5i-PW MX-23 clubs to see a PGA pro friend at Dick's over lunch hr, he taped 5i and PW and asked me to hit a mat then several balls after that. Then he re-taped the bottom and asked me to hit a lie board several time,,, dead on at the center for both 5i and PW, so no lie adjustment needed, but I asked him to adjust the loft of all clubs 2* stronger to bring the trajectory down some more. He also made a few correction with my swing (1) butt end of my club, even with 3W should be pointed to the left of my zipper, at least 2 inches left and my body leans to my right a little more, other than that he thought that fundamentally my swing is quite good... and yet he's still teaching golf at Inniscrone CC in Avondale PA, off Rt 41

I took my 5i-PW MX-23 clubs to see a PGA pro friend at Dick's over lunch hr, he taped 5i and PW and asked me to hit a mat then several balls after that. Then he re-taped the bottom and asked me to hit a lie board several time,,, dead on at the center for both 5i and PW, so no lie adjustment needed, but I asked him to adjust the loft of all clubs 2* stronger to bring the trajectory down some more. He also made a few correction with my swing (1) butt end of my club, even with 3W should be pointed to the left of my zipper, at least 2 inches left and my body leans to my right a little more, other than that he thought that fundamentally my swing is quite good... and yet he's still teaching golf at Inniscrone CC in Avondale PA, off Rt 41
    I'm surprised the pro would agree to bend them 2* strong. Those damn things are already jacked up loft-wise. The set-up change he suggested to you should help you deloft the clubhead at impact which would knock the trajectory down a bit all by itself.

I'm surprised the pro would agree to bend them 2* strong. Those damn things are already jacked up loft-wise. The set-up change he suggested to you should help you deloft the clubhead at impact which would knock the trajectory down a bit all by itself.
    I asked him to do it because I hit a ball quite high, so lower trajectory would be good for me... will test them again next weekend

I asked him to do it because I hit a ball quite high, so lower trajectory would be good for me... will test them again next weekend
    If you hit a high ball, you really should be experimenting with steel shafts.

If you hit a high ball, you really should be experimenting with steel shafts.
    I agree... but I am tired of testing now

I forgot to mention there was a can of Copenhagen in one of the pouches as well as a sunflower seed shell.

I forgot to mention there was a can of Copenhagen in one of the pouches as well as a sunflower seed shell.
    What is the loft and shaft of the 905R?

What is the loft and shaft of the 905R?

Loft is 10.5 Degrees and the shaft is the Fujikura Speeder by Titleist.

Loft is 10.5 Degrees and the shaft is the Fujikura Speeder by Titleist.
    Cool. I have a 9.5 and an 11.5 but think a 10.5 would be optimum for me. Never got on with Tit Speeders too well but they seem to be popular since every used Tit driver I see at the Golf Galaxy is priced 20-30% higher than the same head with different shaft. Go figure. Maybe that shaft would suit me in regular but they all seem to be stiff.

I should explain that the sole on the comp-ez appears smaller. It actually is the slotted weight at the bottom that exaggerate the look of the sole, on the mx line. It's not really part of the sole, but it was blended in with the sole, making it look larger. I think it was done to move some weight a little lower. There really is very little difference in the way they play.

Hmmm, I think I'll be inquiring about these. Pretty good deal and the guy also has some other clubs for sale. This will be a good induction into the Comp-EZ club.

Name:	craigslist mizuno comp.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	2748  

Hmmm, I think I'll be inquiring about these. Pretty good deal and the guy also has some other clubs for sale. This will be a good induction into the Comp-EZ club.
    Fd it's obvious you got issues. Are you employed? You seem to have a full time job as a club ho extraordinaire. In the few years I've been on this forum, you've moved 100s of clubs, maybe thousands.
    I have at times seen the potential as a mover of Japanese steel, or exotic BeCu, or Titanium. But nowhere near what you've accomplished.
    By the way I have Craigslist pro on my iPhone

....Ping Eye 2 Plus BeCu Lob Wedge (mint condition)
    Taylormade R510 TP with Fujikura Speeder shaft, like new
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 16 deg with Steel shaft
    Ping Anser 3 bronze putter, like new
    Ping Hoofer bag blue and black
    Taylormade Titanium Orange Driver, 10.5 Degree, Bubble shaft
    Vokey 56 Raw Steel Wedge, rusty but good condition

To be continued.....

PS: Not stolen, the guy was simply selling some clubs he got from his father.
    I'm the high bidder on some Taylormade forged 300 iron set, with s300 sensicore shafts. The Miura bug is biting, and I'm wanting a set with ns shafts, but I may have to sell some Ping BeCu stuff. I think I'm going to list a Ping pal 2 becu putter, and a red dot becu lob wedge, square groove. I have a orange dot becu 2-sw set I like, and would rather keep. I sold some Cleveland wedges the other day. I've been slacking lately.

I'm the high bidder on some Taylormade forged 300 iron set, with s300 sensicore shafts. The Miura bug is biting, and I'm wanting a set with ns shafts, but I may have to sell some Ping BeCu stuff. I think I'm going to list a Ping pal 2 becu putter, and a red dot becu lob wedge, square groove. I have a orange dot becu 2-sw set I like, and would rather keep. I sold some Cleveland wedges the other day. I've been slacking lately.
    I have 2 sets of the 300's. When I'm striking the ball well i love to play them. I have rifle 5.0 flighted in them and they are still one of the best cb's ever made IMO.

Fd it's obvious you got issues. Are you employed? You seem to have a full time job as a club ho extraordinaire. In the few years I've been on this forum, you've moved 100s of clubs, maybe thousands.
    I have at times seen the potential as a mover of Japanese steel, or exotic BeCu, or Titanium. But nowhere near what you've accomplished.
    By the way I have Craigslist pro on my iPhone
    It doesn't take very long to do a quick search on craigslist for the clubs I'm looking for. Maybe 5 minutes and then I'll contact the seller. If we can meet I do it at lunchtime or have them meet me at work. The latest purchase I made for $125 I believe will bring in around $500. I think I'll get $175 for the Cameron putter, $125 for the BeCu lob wedge and maybe $200 for the rest.

A sneak peek at the Ping i20 iron. You should feel honored to be one of the first to see its greatness. This was accidentally captured on the Golf Channel by mistake. Someone from Ping R&D accidentally left one of these on the table and it was mistakenly captured on camera. These are indeed great times.

Name:	ping i20.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	2749  

A sneak peek at the Ping i20 iron. You should feel honored to be one of the first to see its greatness. This was accidentally captured on the Golf Channel by mistake. Someone from Ping R&D accidentally left one of these on the table and it was mistakenly captured on camera. These are indeed great times.
    Those were pictured in the Golf Warehouse catalog I got two months ago.

Thread Information