|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

36 hole matchplay strategy

Hi All,

My first post on here an was hoping for some advice, am playing a 36 hole final matchplay against a 9 handicapper ( I play off 11). The match will be played off scratch.

I have only been back playing bout 10 months and haven't played this many holes in one day since I was a kid. He is large guy with some knee problem or something so he will be in a cart.

Any advice much appreciated

Hi Cj_1980

Welcome to the forum. These are my favourite matchplay strategies. They are for 18 hole matchplay but I'm sure they would be equally effective over 36 holes.

- On the first tee, after shaking hands, I always try and stand near my opponent. 95% of the time I'm taller, and any intimidation is good intimidation.

- I tend to wear tighter fitting clothing to appear more together, fit, and strong. I try to stay clean shaved and composed, as if I'm in control.

- If possible, I take a 3-wood or a long iron off the first tee after my opponent has hit driver. This tells them, "I hit the ball too damn far to hit driver, I'll leave that to you." May not be true, but thats the attitude.

- I give up my honors whenever possible. This establishes a feel that I'm in the control of the match, and they'll hit when I want them to.

- I always discretely leave a towel over my irons on a par 3 just in case my opponent is curious as to what club I hit or am going to.

- I concede putts by hitting the ball to them, not declaring, "That's good." I don't know why, but this just lets the guy know I'm not overly impressed with his shot/chip/putt.

Hope these strategies help in your match. Let us know how it goes.

Kiwi
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Sounds like a fun day ahead. My suggestions:

Review match play rules so that if the opportunity arises, you can use the rules to your advantage.

36 holes will be a long day,,eat a good meal 1-2 hours before tee time, and then bring something to eat and drink as you play. You should also get a cart, just to eliminate fatigue.

I wouldnt worry too much about gamesmenship, just focus on your game, your shot and the situations you find yourself in.

Dont take many risks early, and beat yourself. If the handicaps are fair, both of you will make mistakes, so dont get down if you do make a mistake and lose a hole. Hit first given the opportunity. Applying pressure with a good shot always is an advantage.

In important tournaments, most amateurs will be nervous on the first tee, so expect early nerves for both, and try not to leave yourself challenging downhill, sidehill putts in early holes,,20 ft uphill is much better, until you play a few holes.

Pressure to win if you are ahead will exist, so play a bit slower than normal, think thru every shot, and remember that also if you are down a few holes, so take nothing for granted until you have actually won or lost.

Just play your game, and no matter the winner, there will always be another day,,afterall, it's not a job, it's supposedly for fun so have fun and enjoy the challenge no matter the outcome.

Leave your phone on and have people call you every 30 minutes. This will tell your opponent that you are a VIP and this match is just a trifle in your important life. On the phone, say things like, "This match is scheduled till about about 5pm, but I should be home around 3. This guy I'm playing is a choker."
    Ask about his wife, then say you banged her. It can really throw a person's putting stroke off.
    Beg for every putt inside of 10 feet. Hey, you never know. Also, never concede any putt even it's inside a foot. A good response if questioned is "With that crappy putting stroke, you're putting everything in the hole."
    Make him move his marker on almost every putt. Chances are he'll forget to move it at least once.
    Always make him move out of your peripheral on the tee. Tell him to stand behind a tree 30 feet away from the box. If questioned, either say "I have a sensitive sense of smell" or "I don't want anyone to see me playing with someone like you."
    On the first tee, give him a Jim Harbaugh bone-crushing handshake/back-slap. Be ready to counter punch.
    Good luck and let us know how it went.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by RFetters View Post
    Sounds like a fun day ahead. My suggestions:

Review match play rules so that if the opportunity arises, you can use the rules to your advantage.

36 holes will be a long day,,eat a good meal 1-2 hours before tee time, and then bring something to eat and drink as you play. You should also get a cart, just to eliminate fatigue.

I wouldnt worry too much about gamesmenship, just focus on your game, your shot and the situations you find yourself in.

Dont take many risks early, and beat yourself. If the handicaps are fair, both of you will make mistakes, so dont get down if you do make a mistake and lose a hole. Hit first given the opportunity. Applying pressure with a good shot always is an advantage.

In important tournaments, most amateurs will be nervous on the first tee, so expect early nerves for both, and try not to leave yourself challenging downhill, sidehill putts in early holes,,20 ft uphill is much better, until you play a few holes.

Pressure to win if you are ahead will exist, so play a bit slower than normal, think thru every shot, and remember that also if you are down a few holes, so take nothing for granted until you have actually won or lost.

Just play your game, and no matter the winner, there will always be another day,,afterall, it's not a job, it's supposedly for fun so have fun and enjoy the challenge no matter the outcome.
    I take it you don't win a lot in matchplay.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

If he is in a cart and a big guy with a bad knee, he will probably try to play quick. You are walking so enjoy the scenery and play a little slower. Concentrate on halving early holes. If he is having problems putting and your short game is on, purposely miss some greens by a little bit leaving yourself easy up and downs. He will try to can some birdy putts and inevitably 3 putt to give you the hole. Better yet, have a friend with a range-finder drive a cart and be your mobile caddy. After you've hit a good tee shot and your opponent not so good, ride quickly up to his ball to check out his lie and then walk slowly to your ball. Do this every hole you can. This would get on my nerves real quick.

I love these matchplay guidelines....
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

I assume by saying he was large you meant he was fat. It's ok to say someone's fat. What's the point of sugar-coating it, it isn't like everyone around a fat guy doesn't realize it. We all know how they got that way.

Fortunately for you fat guys are particularly vulnerable in matches. They obviously lack discipline and have very low self-esteem.

Here's what you do. Start by acting as though the match is mostly a social thing for you and engage in non-stop conversation. Try to confine it to two things, great food/restaurants and dieting. Done properly, this guy will quit at the turn and go in and order at least two lunches for himself while you go into the bar to celebrate.
    GR lives...

As mentioned in Kiwi's post, a clean shave is the key. The closer the better. It's best to shave on the first tee box. None of that electric crap either, I'm talking full lather, straight razor is optimal.
    If you are down early, mention to your opponent that it's a kid in St Jude's wish that you beat him in this match. then give an embarrassingly high pitched sobbing fit, followed by awkward silence for the remainder of the match. Congratulations in advance.
    Last edited by Home-slicer; 10-18-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Warning: The following is a desparation move and not to be attempted by those with chronic medical problems including hypertension, cancer, shingles, fibromyalgia or hangnails.

If you are down a bit approaching the final nine holes and your opponent is striking it well and rolling it pure, you may want to consider the Garrigus Move. This is a simple act that requires you to defecate a small amount without removing your trousers and undershorts leaving an amount of feces clinging to your underwear that will emit odor until removed. Be sure to wear dark slacks so stains don't show. This was Garrigus' mistake because he had khaki pants on and the stain showed through. After you've done the deed, be sure to keep upwind of your opponent on every shot he takes if at all possible. Remain silent and say nothing about what will seem to be an apparent problem. If you end up losing anyway, before you shake his hand in congratulations, pretend to slip your right hand into your pants. If you ever have to play him again, you've done the perpetual psych.

If you play smart you'll probably win. Expect him to do the unexpected. If you grind the whole way thru you'll win. I'm unbeatable over 36 holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I take it you don't win a lot in matchplay.
    Just the opposite,,

I take it you dont have many friends on the course though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post

- On the first tee, after shaking hands, I always try and stand near my opponent. 95% of the time I'm taller, and any intimidation is good intimidation.

Kiwi
    Where do you play your matches, North Korea? :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    If you play smart you'll probably win. Expect him to do the unexpected. If you grind the whole way thru you'll win. I'm unbeatable over 36 holes.
    You are hard to beat over 18 holes too. Apparently I can only do it when you don't have your own golf clubs. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Just the opposite,,

I don't play matchplay to make friends and play nice. I'm there to dominate. Not just some simple 2 and 1 victory, I'm looking to embarrass my opponents and make them fear me on the course and in the parking lot.
    With a little attitude adjustment, you too could someday become half the competitor I am.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Just the opposite,,

When it comes time for the club championship there are no friends. This is the chance to gloat and have your name on the trophy all year - something the rest of the membership can only covet. On the first tee be friendly but not familiar. Be sure your opponent knows you are serious and will not alter your personality to accommodate his friendly or caustic behavior. You are unsinkable, just like Molly Brown. If he says something to throw you off like "should we just putt them all out?". Simply respond by saying you'll play by match play rules. Watch for rules violations. Make sure he states he's hitting a provisional and call him on it if he doesn't. If he asks you if a putt is good respond by saying "I'll let you know if a putt is good".

After winning, shake hands and say "good match". Full stop. Nothing else to talk about concerning the round. For the next year you may hear whispers "hey, that guy that just walked by? He's the club champion". "yeah, I heard that. I wish he'd come over and talk to me".

When it comes time for the club championship there are no friends. This is the chance to gloat and have your name on the trophy all year - something the rest of the membership can only covet. On the first tee be friendly but not familiar. Be sure your opponent knows you are serious and will not alter your personality to accommodate his friendly or caustic behavior. You are unsinkable, just like Molly Brown. If he says something to throw you off like "should we just putt them all out?". Simply respond by saying you'll play by match play rules. Watch for rules violations. Make sure he states he's hitting a provisional and call him on it if he doesn't. If he asks you if a putt is good respond by saying "I'll let you know if a putt is good".

After winning, shake hands and say "good match". Full stop. Nothing else to talk about concerning the round. For the next year you may hear whispers "hey, that guy that just walked by? He's the club champion". "yeah, I heard that. I wish he'd come over and talk to me".
    I seriously doubt if a 9 and 11 are playing for the club championship. Maybe the 1st or second flight. I do like your advise though for the club championship.

I don't play matchplay to make friends and play nice. I'm there to dominate. Not just some simple 2 and 1 victory, I'm looking to embarrass my opponents and make them fear me on the course and in the parking lot.
    With a little attitude adjustment, you too could someday become half the competitor I am.
    I take it you dont have many friends on or off the course.

I take it you dont have many friends on or off the course.
    I don't go through life trying to make friends or play nice. I live my life dominating. Not just some simple nice guy who lives next door, I'm looking to embarrass my neighbors with a better lawn, car, wife, house, etc. My neighbors fear me at the BBQ.
    With a little attitude adjustment, you too could someday be half the competitor I am.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I don't go through life trying to make friends or play nice. I live my life dominating. Not just some simple nice guy who lives next door, I'm looking to embarrass my neighbors with a better lawn, car, wife, house, etc. My neighbors fear me at the BBQ.
    With a little attitude adjustment, you too could someday be half the competitor I am.
    Losers' golf friends are typically those who beat him like a drum. Want a friend? Get a dog. Wuf wuf.

Try Valium,,all that stress and competition is going to kill ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Hi Cj_1980

Welcome to the forum. These are my favourite matchplay strategies. They are for 18 hole matchplay but I'm sure they would be equally effective over 36 holes.

- I tend to wear tighter fitting clothing to appear more together, fit, and strong. I try to stay clean shaved and composed, as if I'm in control.

- If possible, I take a 3-wood or a long iron off the first tee after my opponent has hit driver. This tells them, "I hit the ball too damn far to hit driver, I'll leave that to you." May not be true, but thats the attitude.

- I give up my honors whenever possible. This establishes a feel that I'm in the control of the match, and they'll hit when I want them to.

- I always discretely leave a towel over my irons on a par 3 just in case my opponent is curious as to what club I hit or am going to.

- I concede putts by hitting the ball to them, not declaring, "That's good." I don't know why, but this just lets the guy know I'm not overly impressed with his shot/chip/putt.

Hope these strategies help in your match. Let us know how it goes.

Kiwi
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but you are in danger of losing the hole if you hit the ball back to anyone in matchplay if it's before you putt.

Also never ever seen anyone give an honour up so I am not sure if that is permitted either.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Losers' golf friends are typically those who beat him like a drum. Want a friend? Get a dog. Wuf wuf.
    Exactly. Guys like Fetters are extremely popular because they are easy money on the golf course. Even I would probably tolerate the guy in my elite foursome, knowing he's going to be paying out every round.
    Although, to be honest, I'd rather have my dog fear me than like me. Sometimes I'll just yank a tennis ball right out of her mouth and make her sit there begging. Will I give it back? Maybe, it's up to me, b!tch.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but you are in danger of losing the hole if you hit the ball back to anyone in matchplay if it's before you putt.

Also never ever seen anyone give an honour up so I am not sure if that is permitted either.
    Also, if someone gives you a putt it doesn't matter if you putt it anyway and miss. Once the putt is conceded it's a done deal and it doesn't matter if you pick the putt up or go ahead and putt it out. Some people don't know this.

Also, if someone gives you a putt it doesn't matter if you putt it anyway and miss. Once the putt is conceded it's a done deal and it doesn't matter if you pick the putt up or go ahead and putt it out. Some people don't know this.
    I hope you are kidding about people not knowing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post

You better check with Bethpage caddy about that. I learned these matchplay tactics directly from him.

http://forums.golfreview.com/showthread.php?t=7636
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information