|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I can resist anything except temptation (or classic Pings)

Hi

Well after a summer of golf that has seen me flit between 9 and 10 handicap (8.8 at the moment) i have been tempted back to the most beautiful and greatest performing irons ever made.

I have therefore just purchased a set of MINT Ping Zing irons with JZ stiff shafts. I am aware that the guru of Ping has never been big on either Zings or JZ shafts but i have always had good results with them.

Temptation is a terrible thing for the weak willed

Edgey

Quote Originally Posted by edgey View Post
    Hi

Well after a summer of golf that has seen me flit between 9 and 10 handicap (8.8 at the moment) i have been tempted back to the most beautiful and greatest performing irons ever made.

I have therefore just purchased a set of MINT Ping Zing irons with JZ stiff shafts. I am aware that the guru of Ping has never been big on either Zings or JZ shafts but i have always had good results with them.

Edgey
    WOW... even better than Cally 2002 BB ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    WOW... even better than Cally 2002 BB ?
    Been using the BB2002 all year. They are great but i need to get that classic Ping feel and look again.

Classic Pings are like an old drug addiction that you felt you had beaten and then it sneaks up on you. Next thing you know you are dreaming of the silky feeling when you flush a Zing. Before much longer you have sweats and palpatations at the though of not having a set in your life. Finally you find yourself bidding on a set in a desperate attempt to ease the craving.

Once you go Zing there is no substitute

Edgey

Been using the BB2002 all year. They are great but i need to get that classic Ping feel and look again.

Classic Pings are like an old drug addiction that you felt you had beaten and then it sneaks up on you. Next thing you know you are dreaming of the silky feeling when you flush a Zing. Before much longer you have sweats and palpatations at the though of not having a set in your life. Finally you find yourself bidding on a set in a desperate attempt to ease the craving.

Edgey
    Edgey,

I may join you on your quest for Zing perfection. Believe it or not, I too have found myself eyeballing the Zings whenever I have seen them at various golf stores. I've seen several sets in good to excellent condition going anywhere from $99 to $139. What I'd really like to do is bag a set of Ping Zing BeCu irons.

Please keep us informed in regard to your Zing purchase and how they perform out on the course. These are indeed exciting times!

Edgey

Good luck with them E. We're all human and your indulgence can easily be reversed if you so choose via a re-sale.

While I'm not exactly the dean of resisting temptation, if you want them just enjoy them.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Good luck with them E. We're all human and your indulgence can easily be reversed if you so choose via a re-sale.

While I'm not exactly the dean of resisting temptation, if you want them just enjoy them.
    Your endorsement is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Edgey,

I may join you on your quest for Zing perfection. Believe it or not, I too have found myself eyeballing the Zings whenever I have seen them at various golf stores. I've seen several sets in good to excellent condition going anywhere from $99 to $139. What I'd really like to do is bag a set of Ping Zing BeCu irons.

Please keep us informed in regard to your Zing purchase and how they perform out on the course. These are indeed exciting times!
    I too have craved a set of BeCu Zings but they are rarer than rocking horse shite. I did see a good example but they were silly money.

I do not think that Ping has ever really improved on the Zing (or Eye 2) irons. In fact i no longer believe that manufacturers can produce any irons that are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old gear.

Callaway Big Bertha Gold
    Callaway X12
    Callaway BB2002
    Ping Zing/Zing 2
    Ping Eye 2/Eye 2 +

All of these are at least 10 years old and still play superbly.

Hell the Mizuno MX20 and T Zoid Comp are 7 years old and have never been bettered.

Perhaps i am just getting old and cynical

I too have craved a set of BeCu Zings but they are rarer than rocking horse shite. I did see a good example but they were silly money.

I do not think that Ping has ever really improved on the Zing (or Eye 2) irons. In fact i no longer believe that manufacturers can produce any irons that are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the old gear.

Callaway Big Bertha Gold
    Callaway X12
    Callaway BB2002
    Ping Zing/Zing 2
    Ping Eye 2/Eye 2 +

All of these are at least 10 years old and still play superbly.

Hell the Mizuno MX20 and T Zoid Comp are 7 years old and have never been bettered.

Perhaps i am just getting old and cynical
    I'm pretty sure the T-Zoid Comp-Ez originated back in 1999 or 1999. You are absolutely right that irons are no better today than they were back then. If you think about it, it's impossible to make any further improvements in irons. The only thing they've done in the last 10 years is add inserts to the cavity and jack up the lofts. Most of the manufacturers still use Dynamic Gold and that's been around forever.

So, the only difference you'll find in modern irons is jacked-up lofts. My Ping Eye 2s are better than any other iron out there.

I'm pretty sure the T-Zoid Comp-Ez originated back in 1999 or 1999. You are absolutely right that irons are no better today than they were back then. If you think about it, it's impossible to make any further improvements in irons. The only thing they've done in the last 10 years is add inserts to the cavity and jack up the lofts. Most of the manufacturers still use Dynamic Gold and that's been around forever.

So, the only difference you'll find in modern irons is jacked-up lofts. My Ping Eye 2s are better than any other iron out there.
    Thats pretty much it.

In fact what have been the great equipment developments over the last 10 years.

Irons - None that i can see
    Drivers - Adjustability (gimmick)
    Hybrids - Last great development for me
    Putters - None
    Ball - Now there is a bone of contention

Have we reached a point where the wheel is being re invented, re packaged and re sold to us?

Thats pretty much it.

In fact what have been the great equipment developments over the last 10 years.

Irons - None that i can see
    Drivers - Adjustability (gimmick)
    Hybrids - Last great development for me
    Putters - None
    Ball - Now there is a bone of contention

Have we reached a point where the wheel is being re invented, re packaged and re sold to us?
    Drivers have seen significant improvement over the last 10 years but not so much over the last 5 years. The Cleveland 460 came out in 2003 or 2004 and I haven't seen much improvement over that model.

Drivers have seen significant improvement over the last 10 years but not so much over the last 5 years. The Cleveland 460 came out in 2003 or 2004 and I haven't seen much improvement over that model.
    Thank you. Put it back in the bag at the weekend and was striping it down the middle after recent struggles with Driver.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hi

Edgey
    Congrats on the Zings Edgey. One of the better players at my club (3 handicap) plays an old crumby looking set of Ping Zings.

What happened with the K15s? A few short months ago I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Hi

Edgey
    Edgey,

How are those Ping Zings working out for you? I'm curious because I've been eyeballing a set of Ping Zing BeCu irons. I'd be interested to hear how they are distance wise and how they compare to your Superlaunch irons and BB 2002 irons. Check it out:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zing copper.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	2754  

Hey, Edgey, have you ever tried the Mizuno JPX-800s? I have never hit a set of GI irons that were so easy to hit, and yet so workable.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Edgey,

How are those Ping Zings working out for you? I'm curious because I've been eyeballing a set of Ping Zing BeCu irons. I'd be interested to hear how they are distance wise and how they compare to your Superlaunch irons and BB 2002 irons. Check it out:
    Hi FD

The image you posted aint working for me?

The Zings are good BUT i was tempted by another set of Pings that have now pushed the Zings out.

I have purchased a set of Ping Raptures 6 - LW with Ping Regular Graphite shafts, black dot - Mint.

They are at least half to a full club longer than the Zings and WAY more forgiving.

They have relegated the BB2002 and ZIngs to the loft. They are so good i may flog the Zings altogether. In all fairness i have always felt the Raptures were some of Pings finest irons but the graphite shafts have turned great irons into unbelievable irons.

Ping for life

Edgey

Hi FD

The image you posted aint working for me?

The Zings are good BUT i was tempted by another set of Pings that have now pushed the Zings out.

I have purchased a set of Ping Raptures 6 - LW with Ping Regular Graphite shafts, black dot - Mint.

They are at least half to a full club longer than the Zings and WAY more forgiving.

They have relegated the BB2002 and ZIngs to the loft. They are so good i may flog the Zings altogether. In all fairness i have always felt the Raptures were some of Pings finest irons but the graphite shafts have turned great irons into unbelievable irons.

Ping for life

Edgey
    Wait a minute. I thought you previously had the Ping K-15 irons with graphite shafts. Weren't those the irons that followed after the Ping Rapture V2s? I have tried the Ping Rapture V2s at the range and the feel was simply amazing. The titanium insert is a feeling that goes from your hands all the way to your heart...yearning for additional Ping bliss.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling the Zings wouldn't last long. The biggest complaint about them is the lack of distance. Plus, Chip Beck used them in the Masters tournament and lost by laying up on a Par 5.

Anyway, did you get the original Raptures or the Rapture V2. Those green and black shafts are enough to scare the heck out of a match play competitor.

I'm currently playing the Ping i5 irons, 3-PW with a Ping gap wedge, all with CS-Lite shafts. This is one of the best looking and feeling irons I've ever tried. Far more forgiving than the 990 irons with better distance. They are basically meant for good ball strikers, unlike the JPX 800 irons.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 11-04-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Wait a minute. I thought you previously had the Ping K-15 irons with graphite shafts. Weren't those the irons that followed after the Ping Rapture V2s? I have tried the Ping Rapture V2s at the range and the feel was simply amazing. The titanium insert is a feeling that goes from your hands all the way to your heart...yearning for additional Ping bliss.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling the Zings wouldn't last long. The biggest complaint about them is the lack of distance. Plus, Chip Beck used them in the Masters tournament and lost by laying up on a Par 5.

Anyway, did you get the original Raptures or the Rapture V2. Those green and black shafts are enough to scare the heck out of a match play competitor.

I'm currently playing the Ping i5 irons, 3-PW with a Ping gap wedge, all with CS-Lite shafts. This is one of the best looking and feeling irons I've ever tried. Far more forgiving than the 990 irons with better distance. They are basically meant for good ball strikers, unlike the JPX 800 irons.
    Hi FD

My K15 irons had steel shafts (hybrids had graphite)

The Rapture V2 are no where near as good as the original Raptures and mine are (of course) the original Raptures :-)

The i15 irons are for great ballstrikers. As an 8 handicap hacker i need all the help i can get. Hence the Raptures

Edgey

Davis is playing the 5's, not the 15's. The 5's have a wider sole and a bit more offset - and they look and feel 50X better than the 15's IMPO.

I played a couple rounds with my old SZ460 this fall - sounds disgusting, but spanks the ball as far down the fw as any newer driver I've tried.

I tested about 20 drivers on a monitor a few weeks ago before settling on the Diablo Edge Tour. All hit the ball within 10 yards of each other - exactly as expected.
    I can't wait for shore leave so I can get me som fukkin' poon-tang.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
    Davis is playing the 5's, not the 15's. The 5's have a wider sole and a bit more offset - and they look and feel 50X better than the 15's IMPO.

I played a couple rounds with my old SZ460 this fall - sounds disgusting, but spanks the ball as far down the fw as any newer driver I've tried.

I tested about 20 drivers on a monitor a few weeks ago before settling on the Diablo Edge Tour. All hit the ball within 10 yards of each other - exactly as expected.
    I think the i5 irons look much better than the i15. The i10 irons actually looked the best and had less offset than most Mizuno MP cavity backs.

I think the i5 irons look much better than the i15. The i10 irons actually looked the best and had less offset than most Mizuno MP cavity backs.
    But, the i10s do not have the feel that Mizuno CBs do, AND Mizuno CBs do not have great feel -- at least nothing like blades. I played a couple of rounds with the i10s back before I bought my first set of Mizuno irons (MP-52s).

By the way, the i5s are VERY ugly irons.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    But, the i10s do not have the feel that Mizuno CBs do, AND Mizuno CBs do not have great feel -- at least nothing like blades. I played a couple of rounds with the i10s back before I bought my first set of Mizuno irons (MP-52s).

By the way, the i5s are VERY ugly irons.
    I agree that the i10 irons don't feel as good as a Mizuno CB or blade. I hit an MP-32 not too long ago in a simulator and I happen to catch it flush and I have to admit it was a wonderful feeling. The problem is catching it flush.

The i5 irons are not ugly at address but the cavity is definitely ugly.

We are agreeing here and it feels uncomfortable.

Thread Information