|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it

Last Friday I played golf and my buddy took some videos of my swing from behind the tee. This was an eye opener for me. I had no idea how far right of the target my feet were aligned and no idea how left of the target line my upper body was aligned. Well, on Sunday I got to the course early, laid down a club for alignment and realized that my feet were WAY too closed. When I aligned my feet correctly it felt like I was going to hit the ball dead left. However, now that my feet were square I could now align my upper body to the target and swing freely. I've attached two new videos below from the Sunday round. Just click on the links. The one from behind was the best drive of the day. I hit that one 282 yards. Granted, it's downhill. I'm still taking the club way too far inside but I'm better aligned now and I've gained about 10 yards. I shot 76, par 70.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMTpHVSGi8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3P7ufPKNY4
    Last edited by famousdavis; 10-10-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Last Friday I played golf and my buddy took some videos of my swing from behind the tee. This was an eye opener for me. I had no idea how far right of the target my feet were aligned and no idea how left of the target line my upper body was aligned. Well, on Sunday I got to the course early, laid down a club for alignment and realized that my feet were WAY too closed. When I aligned my feet correctly it felt like I was going to hit the ball dead left. However, now that my feet were square I could now align my upper body to the target and swing freely. I've attached two new videos below from the Sunday round. Just click on the links. The one from behind was the best drive of the day. I hit that one 282 yards. Granted, it's downhill. I'm still taking the club way too far inside but I'm better aligned now and I've gained about 10 yards. I shot 76, par 70.

Nice swings. Good score...

From one chop to another. I also have the same tendency. Line of closed with open shoulders. The interesting part is I'm longer but more erratic with this setup. Makes for an aggressive release.

I'm not sure about this one because the video quality is a bit poor.

Is your left hand on top in this screen capture? Maybe a bit of a flip?

Also, it's hard to tell from either of the vid's but you might have a bit of an early extension, hips moving into the hitting area at impact. Like the pro pointed out to you at Golf Galaxy.

Have your friend make the video more down the line than from behind you next time and you can see if your hips move toward the ball at impact.

Edit: BTW - weak glutes can cause you to extend into impact. Basically your calf and thigh are trying to compensate for lack of strength in your glutes.
    Last edited by poe4soul; 10-10-2011 at 07:31 AM.

v=5KMTpHVSGi8[/URL]

Good score FD... sure not because of your driver but it helps. From the video, looks like your ball is just a touch forward from the center of your stance? If I did that it would auto force me to have an inside swing path

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Good score FD... sure not because of your driver but it helps. From the video, looks like your ball is just a touch forward from the center of your stance? If I did that it would auto force me to have an inside swing path
    I think it appears that way because of the angle from where it was being filmed. However, I do think I need to position the ball a little further toward my left heel with the driver swing. I'm loving the Titleist 990 irons. I've never hit an iron that feels so solid.

I think it appears that way because of the angle from where it was being filmed. However, I do think I need to position the ball a little further toward my left heel with the driver swing. I'm loving the Titleist 990 irons. I've never hit an iron that feels so solid.
    Say it ain't so? Not even as solid as the eye2's?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post

From one chop to another. I also have the same tendency. Line of closed with open shoulders. The interesting part is I'm longer but more erratic with this setup. Makes for an aggressive release.

Also, it's hard to tell from either of the vid's but you might have a bit of an early extension, hips moving into the hitting area at impact. Like the pro pointed out to you at Golf Galaxy.

Have your friend make the video more down the line than from behind you next time and you can see if your hips move toward the ball at impact.

Edit: BTW - weak glutes can cause you to extend into impact. Basically your calf and thigh are trying to compensate for lack of strength in your glutes.
    I have to tell you, it feels like my feet are aiming WAY left of the target line even though they are actually aligned straight. It's amazing how these bad habits can creep into your golf game and begin to feel normal. Now that my feet are properly aligned, it's allowed me to turn my left knee in and bend it more and it also allows me to transition the hips first on the downswing and swing inside out. The result is less effort and more distance. I'm going to work on my feet work this week so that I roll my right foot instead of pivoting off the ball of my foot. This game is not easy.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 10-10-2011 at 08:06 AM.

I missed this thread until the spammer brought it back up. I remember golfing with a European pro here in San Francisco and I couldn't get over how slow his swing appeared, even though the ball went WAY far...

Your swing appears slow like that and reminds me of that pro... I am jealous.

It is crazy right now near my house at Harding Park with the tournament going on...

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie View Post
    I missed this thread until the spammer brought it back up. I remember golfing with a European pro here in San Francisco and I couldn't get over how slow his swing appeared, even though the ball went WAY far...

Your swing appears slow like that and reminds me of that pro... I am jealous.

It is crazy right now near my house at Harding Park with the tournament going on...
    You are indeed fortunate to live near such a great golf course. Hopefully you can get out and watch some of those old boys--all of them except Hale Irwin-- younger than me-- and get the best golf instruction available just by watching them play. Or even better yet, warm up on the practice range. I remember last time I went to a senior tour event near me leaving the folks I was with and heading to the range. I watched a guy hit a long iron, probably a 3, for about 30 minutes. The guy was tall and thin. Think it may have been Dale Douglas. Anyway, the guy was taking leisurely languid swings and nailing each shot out to the 225 yard sign. The shots were boring but also seemed to float and land softly straight down into a 30 foot diameter circle around the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post

You have a good rythym and a competent swing.

Just a thing I notice from the shot at the back is that you make a similar mistake to me in that your right foot is way too far off the ground at impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
    You have a good rythym and a competent swing.

Just a thing I notice from the shot at the back is that you make a similar mistake to me in that your right foot is way too far off the ground at impact.
    I saw your swing at the Florida GR event and it's much better than mine. A pro at Golf Galaxy pointed out the right foot as well. Pushing off the ball of my right foot at impact actually contributes to an over the top move. I should be folding the right foot inward instead of pivoting off of it. I've tried it and it naturally creates more of an inside to out club path.

The thing is, I almost always hit my driver down the middle of the fairway with that swing. I'm fairly good with my irons but it's really my short game that kills me. Compared to the rest of my game I'm horrible inside 100 yards. I'm OK at chipping but my pitching game, sand game and shots out of the rough are terrible. For example, if I'm 60 yards from the hole I'm happy if I hit the ball within 15 feet of the flag.

I saw your swing at the Florida GR event and it's much better than mine. A pro at Golf Galaxy pointed out the right foot as well. Pushing off the ball of my right foot at impact actually contributes to an over the top move. I should be folding the right foot inward instead of pivoting off of it. I've tried it and it naturally creates more of an inside to out club path.

The thing is, I almost always hit my driver down the middle of the fairway with that swing. I'm fairly good with my irons but it's really my short game that kills me. Compared to the rest of my game I'm horrible inside 100 yards. I'm OK at chipping but my pitching game, sand game and shots out of the rough are terrible. For example, if I'm 60 yards from the hole I'm happy if I hit the ball within 15 feet of the flag.
    Thanks FD.

For what it's worth Hank Haney had a look at my swing on Twitter and liked it - he said my right foot was a bit too far off the ground at impact which is prbably how I noticed yours.

You have good tempo though and I can see why you shoot +6; a good score.

My pitching is, or at least was last year, one of the best parts of my game. I believe that control of the golf ball and short game are the keys to being a SCR player instead of a 10 hcap. If you manage your ball well and then get it up and down 70% of the time you miss the green it's gonna improve any low ish hcap's score.

I don't really care how great a swing looks as long as it is productive. A swing can look great, but if it is not productive, it isn't worth ****.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I don't really care how great a swing looks as long as it is productive. A swing can look great, but if it is not productive, it isn't worth ****.
    Well said

Edgey

So after your lesson you haven't changed anything? You are still taking it back way inside and extremely flat--and then taking it up steep and downswinging OTT, no shift, just arms. The least of your problems is alignment.

If you have the software, stop your downswing and see where the club shaft bisects your right arm. It should be below your shoulder, ideal is aligned with your forearm. Yours will be up around your ears.

The only way you can hit fairways with that is by timing a quick flip of the clubhead closed to compensate for the out-to-in clubhead path through impact. Sometimes it works, but several times each round it won't, you will hit it into the trees, OB or over the fence.

You need to do a LOT of slow motion and stopped position drills to erase that and ingrain a correct golf swing.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    So after your lesson you haven't changed anything? You are still taking it back way inside and extremely flat--and then taking it up steep and downswinging OTT, no shift, just arms. The least of your problems is alignment.

If you have the software, stop your downswing and see where the club shaft bisects your right arm. It should be below your shoulder, ideal is aligned with your forearm. Yours will be up around your ears.

The only way you can hit fairways with that is by timing a quick flip of the clubhead closed to compensate for the out-to-in clubhead path through impact. Sometimes it works, but several times each round it won't, you will hit it into the trees, OB or over the fence.

You need to do a LOT of slow motion and stopped position drills to erase that and ingrain a correct golf swing.

Larry
    Larry,

Look at the date of that posting. Those videos were taken before I took my first lesson with Kevin. Since then I have changed my left hand grip and I'm taking the club back more upright than I ever have before. It's a work in progress.

A couple of other things I'm doing:

• Taking it back slower and keeping the clubhead in front of me.
    • I've turned my left toe in so that it's perpendicular to my line.
    • I quit moving my head right before the backswing.

There's a lot to work on and the reason I'm taking the lessons in the first place is because of what I saw in those videos!

I don't know....maybe it's me, but I can't believe you're driving 280+yds with that pu$$y slow swing.
    Wow. I do know that when I slow my swing down I hit alot more fairways. But 280yds????? That's hittin' it!
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    I don't know....maybe it's me, but I can't believe you're driving 280+yds with that pu$$y slow swing.
    Wow. I do know that when I slow my swing down I hit alot more fairways. But 280yds????? That's hittin' it!
    No, I normally hit my drives around 260. That particular drive was 280. I think the video makes the swing look slower than it really is. I do have a smooth swing so it doesn't look like I'm generating much clubhead speed even though I am. Ask Dave Perkins if I hit it 260 and occassionally 280.

Larry,

Look at the date of that posting. Those videos were taken before I took my first lesson with Kevin. Since then I have changed my left hand grip and I'm taking the club back more upright than I ever have before. It's a work in progress.

A couple of other things I'm doing:

• Taking it back slower and keeping the clubhead in front of me.
    • I've turned my left toe in so that it's perpendicular to my line.
    • I quit moving my head right before the backswing.

There's a lot to work on and the reason I'm taking the lessons in the first place is because of what I saw in those videos!
    Good for you! No I had not noticed the date.

Good luck!

Larry

No, I normally hit my drives around 260. That particular drive was 280. I think the video makes the swing look slower than it really is. I do have a smooth swing so it doesn't look like I'm generating much clubhead speed even though I am. Ask Dave Perkins if I hit it 260 and occassionally 280.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPTo2...eature=related

This guy can hit it! And they go straight because his fundamentals are solid, solid, solid!!. He shifts back, then makes a great weight shift while still coiled, his grip pressure is obviously very very loose, he takes it back and then rolls it around behind him so he can bring it down and under to the ball from the inside. He walks over like Gary Player did. What's not to like?

He says he hits it over 300 yards, I believe him!

Larry

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Good for you! No I had not noticed the date.
    Perhaps if you weren't such a self-absorbed narcissist just looking for ways to show how clever you are you might have.

:-)
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

This guy can hit it! And they go straight because his fundamentals are solid, solid, solid!!. He shifts back, then makes a great weight shift while still coiled, his grip pressure is obviously very very loose, he takes it back and then rolls it around behind him so he can bring it down and under to the ball from the inside. He walks over like Gary Player did. What's not to like?
    He's quite obviously using his hands and arms quite a bit in that swing...

...something you claim can't work.

Lots of people say lots of things that aren't true, Larry. You for instance say that you hit your 3 wood 230 yards into a strong wind.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Poor pathetic obsessed boob. He just keeps stalking and posting ad hominem attacks. I can't imagine why they allow that here. But whatever. If it doesn't bother others, it certain doesn't bother me.

Larry

Poor pathetic obsessed boob. He just keeps stalking and posting ad hominem attacks. I can't imagine why they allow that here. But whatever. If it doesn't bother others, it certain doesn't bother me.

Larry
    Uses oxygen AND bandwidth. Both precious AND finite resources.

Larry
    Uh.... His fundamentals are terrible. He has a ridiculous amount of compensatory movements.... The best golf swings have the least amount of moves to complete. Although is back swing is short he compensates quite a bit. Not to mention he is a tool for having that follow through... Most unnecessary movement I have ever seen (but that's the least of his worries)
    Golf

Quote Originally Posted by qtong View Post
    Uh.... His fundamentals are terrible. He has a ridiculous amount of compensatory movements.... The best golf swings have the least amount of moves to complete. Although is back swing is short he compensates quite a bit. Not to mention he is a tool for having that follow through... Most unnecessary movement I have ever seen (but that's the least of his worries)
    So you'll give him three a side?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    So you'll give him three a side?
    I had a teaching pro look at that swing today,,, and he grudgingly admitted it is fundamentally solid. He does nearly everything right. That baseball batter dramatic finish is a little unnecessary, but the ball is long gone-- and WAY out there!!!

Larry

I had a teaching pro look at that swing today,,, and he grudgingly admitted it is fundamentally solid. He does nearly everything right. That baseball batter dramatic finish is a little unnecessary, but the ball is long gone-- and WAY out there!!!

Larry
    Yes, the price to be paid for getting to play with him and laugh at his swing would probably be having to get your wallet out and hand him cash after the 14th hole.

Larry, you sad and pathetic little man.

He does it in large part because he uses his hands and arms to make the club move faster. Something you've claimed forever is absolutely verboten (and the one thing you've said we're not to accept verbatim from your hero, Hogan).

And one thing is completely clear: he swings NOTHING like the swings you've suggested are the new "Secret!".

Last edited by alangbaker; 11-05-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Late to this party, but... I can testify that FD has some real power in that lazy move... It is not easy to out knock him. I can do it, but I'm twice his size. He is what we used to call sneaky long. And that new Ping driver hasn't hurt him either. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Famous...........going back to helping with lessons and simple cures, invest a few bucks in those plastic rods that pros/college players use to make sure they are aligned. They sell them at golf stores but you can get them cheap at hardware stores. It NEVER hurts to make sure you are aligned properly when swinging. AND fundamentals NEVER go out of style. Played so long that those are the first things I check when my shots start going awry. Usually it's really something simple that I have gotten lazy about, such as alignment, posture, etc. That's why the acronym GASP or Grip, Aim, Stance and Posture will never go out of style while practicing or playing. Takes only a few moments to mentally check off. (And not accusing you of being mental.................well at least at the moment!)
    Remember when in ancient times men beating sticks into the ground was considered witchcraft?

Now it's just called "golf".

Quote Originally Posted by MJFGolf View Post
    Famous...........going back to helping with lessons and simple cures, invest a few bucks in those plastic rods that pros/college players use to make sure they are aligned. They sell them at golf stores but you can get them cheap at hardware stores. It NEVER hurts to make sure you are aligned properly when swinging. AND fundamentals NEVER go out of style. Played so long that those are the first things I check when my shots start going awry. Usually it's really something simple that I have gotten lazy about, such as alignment, posture, etc. That's why the acronym GASP or Grip, Aim, Stance and Posture will never go out of style while practicing or playing. Takes only a few moments to mentally check off. (And not accusing you of being mental.................well at least at the moment!)
    The Home Depot here back east has yellow fiberglass driveway stakes about 48" long for $1.89 each. Great alignment rods and also handy for pushing crap out of golf shafts.

Thread Information