|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Need new irons

Need new irons

Playing callaway x20's and have finally stepped my game up to the point that I've outgrown using these heavy shovels. Looking for opinions in best blades mc cb irons out there. I've played strictly callaway since 92 so I'm looking for advice with other brands. Have hit Nike vr pro combo, Taylor made cb and mizuno jpx800 pro. Any input would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum JC

What's your budget?

Are you looking to buy brand new or secondhand?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks Kiwi
    I'm looking new and most likely in the $700-$1000 range
    My last 2 sets were from callaway preowned so this time I want to take the plastic off myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jcjr1972 View Post
    Thanks Kiwi
    My last 2 sets were from callaway preowned so this time I want to take the plastic off myself
    LOL fair enough.

I have just bought some Mizuno MP58s which are a model that is being superseded by the MP59.

In the Mizuno range I would suggest:

MP53
    MP59
    MP63

They are all cavity backs but supposedly offer varying degrees of forgiveness with the MP53 being the most forgiving and the MP63s being less forgiving but more workable and the MP59s fit somewhere in between. If you want a pure blade the MP69 is the latest replacing the MP68. The next, more forgiving iron, after the MP53 is the JPX 800, that you have already tried.

Others are Taylormade Cavity backs and Muscle Cavity. I've hit them and thought they were decent.

Titleist AP2 or CB 710 or 712?

I think Callaway have released a model called the RAZR which is forged but I don't know much about it.

I've also hit the latest Ping S56 and that was decent too but a much harder feel compared to others especially Mizuno which is a very soft feel.

My preference is Mizuno but I suggest you demo them and decide for yourself. There are other members of this forum who will be able to offer their opinions on different models.

Good luck.

Kiwi

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thanks Kiwi
    LOL!

Hey, Kiwi gives some good advice here on the Mizzy lineup. The MP53 offers the GFF feel, but is very forgiving IMO. As you go up the MP line to the 68-69, forgiveness lessens, but playability increases, if thats your gig (working the ball).

I have also seen folks combo the Mizzy sets, with more forgiving long irons and more workable short irons. (MP53 long/MP63 short).

Seen folks do this with the Titleist AP1/AP2 as well.

You can prolly get a MP58 set on discount now - as the 59s are newly released.
    G luck.

JC
    I've spent the last couple of years looking for the perfect irons. I myself find that the mizuno mp 32's are simply the best i've ever hit. They would be dificult to find new though. My suggestion would be to look at the new mizuno's as well if you want to buy new clubs. The Mp 59 with the ti muscle look very tempting.

Playing callaway x20's and have finally stepped my game up to the point that I've outgrown using these heavy shovels. Looking for opinions in best blades mc cb irons out there. I've played strictly callaway since 92 so I'm looking for advice with other brands. Have hit Nike vr pro combo, Taylor made cb and mizuno jpx800 pro. Any input would be appreciated

First of all, the JPX 800 Pro is not in the same family, genus or species as forged CB's such as Titleist 710 CB or Mizuno MP-62. This is a distinctino you need to understand and become comfortable with in your quest for brand new irons. When buying new, you'd better do your homework or you stand to immediately lose 40% if you need to resell them. A new set of Titleist CBs is, I believe, around $899. If you play them for one round and resell them you'd be lucky to get $550 for them.

I recently procured a set of Titleist 990 irons for around $110 in excellent to mint condition. These are the best feeling irons I have ever tried, yet they are not forged. The combination of a compact head design, coupled with a great deal of mass right behind the sweetspot yields a feeling that is not dissimilar to putting Grey Poupon instead of ballpark mustard on a Polish sandwich. Take notice.

Ask any teaching pro. I would be ASTOUNDED to learn that any teacher agreed with you on that.

In my experience he will listen to your ideas about irons, roll his eyes, and say, "well, lets see your swing." Then 30 minutes later after he has pointed out your defective setup, defective grip, and mistakes in your backswing, the entire subject of which irons to play will have been forgotten. You will either ignore him or conclude that it is not the clubs.... it is NEVER the clubs.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    Ask any teaching pro. I would be ASTOUNDED to learn that any teacher agreed with you on that.

In my experience he will listen to your ideas about irons, roll his eyes, and say, "well, lets see your swing." Then 30 minutes later after he has pointed out your defective setup, defective grip, and mistakes in your backswing, the entire subject of which irons to play will have been forgotten. You will either ignore him or conclude that it is not the clubs.... it is NEVER the clubs.

Larry
    I think I hear Alan typing...yep.... 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...

Larry
    Larry, what do you think is more important when getting fit for clubs, lie angle or shaft flex?
    GR lives...

Larry
    Most of the pros I've known and played with have a player's cavity back or blades in their bags. I've never met a teaching pro who plays oversized, game-improvement irons. So, it's obvious that a teaching pro does consider clubs to a be a significant factor in the game of golf.

That being said, I have taken lessons from teaching pros who have basically ignored my question when I asked them about the current irons I was playing. They treated the question as insignificant. In fact, one of my lessons occurred at the same time I was playing Callaway X-12 irons. The pro and I were working on some minor swing changes and he commented on the fact that I had a very good swing. I asked him if I should be playing more of a "players" iron like a forged cavity back and he simply shook his head, implying that it didn't matter.

When I belonged to a CC in Dallas, the club champion played Ping G2 irons with the standard Ping CS-Lite shafts. He hit a slight fade with a low trajectory with all of his irons. If you didn't see the clubs in his hands you would have sworn he was playing blades by the shot shaping and trajectory.

One of the guys at the CC I belonged to in California played Ping Eye 2 irons and another played Wilson Staff Ultra 45 irons.

If you really think about it, the only thing that matters with irons is getting the right shaft and then choosing a club that feels good to you and suits your eye. For me, the only offset club I can deal with is the Ping Eye 2. Other than that, I prefer a club with almost no offset like the Titleist 990 or 962B.

So, Larry is right and wrong. Irons do matter in that some irons will work better for certain player's swings. However, I don't think that better players always do better with "players" irons.

Well mizuno seems to be the winner...thanks for the input on this...being that my last set of irons bought were x-12's and I just reluctanly replaced my 300 driver I felt pretty much out of touch with the newer technology...having not picked up a stuck in almost 4 years some of these newer designs threw my off...oh and side note Larry...before my first retirement from golf I played to a 3.5 handicap so rarely do I hear complaints about setup or grip but thanks for the heads up

Well mizuno seems to be the winner...thanks for the input on this...being that my last set of irons bought were x-12's and I just reluctanly replaced my 300 driver I felt pretty much out of touch with the newer technology...having not picked up a stuck in almost 4 years some of these newer designs threw my off...oh and side note Larry...before my first retirement from golf I played to a 3.5 handicap so rarely do I hear complaints about setup or grip but thanks for the heads up
    Oh you definitely want to listen to Larry. He spends so much money on lessons he can't afford new clubs and still plays some crappy old graphite shafted Callaway Big Berthas. Yet despite the thousands of dollars spent on lessons each year he still plays to about a 20 handicap. That is when he's not lying about his scores. A former 3.5 handicapper like yourself should definitely heed the wise words of Larryrsf.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I think I hear Alan typing...yep.... 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...
    It's been over 2 hours - I'm getting worried about Alan?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    It's been over 2 hours - I'm getting worried about Alan?
    Perhaps he is at work without access to the internet.....(now I think I feel Larry working his keyboard... 10... 9...8...)

Hahahaha!!!!!! Based on your quote you have there I have a pretty good idea that Larry is the authority on this forum when it comes to golf. I only hope that one day I can truly own up to my shortcomings and stop blaming my inabilty to break 70 on my clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Larry, what do you think is more important when getting fit for clubs, lie angle or shaft flex?
    "club fitting" is a massive scam and most teaching pros will admit that--unless they can share in the profit.

The problem is NEVER the clubs and the fix is NEVER different clubs. Defects in our swings totally swamp the tiny differences between premium golf clubs (anything better than K-Mart).

There have been dozens of famous cases in which good players prove to amateurs that a good swing works with ANY CLUB! Lee Trevino took that concept to an extreme and broke 90 on a championship golf course using a bottle taped to a stick! He even putted with it!

When he turned pro he played his first US Open with a batch of mis-matched clubs from the used barrel. He almost won!

So spend the money on lessons, use your time to do the drills, and play the clubs you own.

Larry

"club fitting" is a massive scam and most teaching pros will admit that--unless they can share in the profit.

The problem is NEVER the clubs and the fix is NEVER different clubs. Defects in our swings totally swamp the tiny differences between premium golf clubs (anything better than K-Mart).

There have been dozens of famous cases in which good players prove to amateurs that a good swing works with ANY CLUB! Lee Trevino took that concept to an extreme and broke 90 on a championship golf course using a bottle taped to a stick! He even putted with it!

When he turned pro he played his first US Open with a batch of mis-matched clubs from the used barrel. He almost won!

So spend the money on lessons, use your time to do the drills, and play the clubs you own.

Larry
    Larry, do you mind if I take excerpts from this masterpiece and incorporate them in my signature?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Larry, do you mind if I take excerpts from this masterpiece and incorporate them in my signature?

How did Lee Trevino get out of bunkers with the coke bottle tied to a stick? I think the story is that he drove with the Coke bottle by throwing the ball up into the air but putted and chipped with regular clubs. I think the key here is that he used a Coke bottle instead of Pepsi.

Larry
    So let's cut your clubs down 3" and bend them down 3* and see how you do. I bet your teaching pro told you not to spend you golf budget on clubs. "More lesson's will make you a better golf, Mr. RSF. Even Trevino could score with a bottle taped to a stick!" is probably what he told you while thinking to himself "I need another 12 boat payments and Lary is just the man to help be out. He'll believe anything if I use a legendary Pro's name an example." LOL - you are such a Fool.

I swore I wouldn't get involved but oh well here it goes...I do have to agree with Larry in one sence....in probably a brilliant way of portaging his elitis and condescending tone he is right to a point about clubs not making a difference...my current clubs are great for getting my swing and feel back, nothing more...where Larry is wrong is in that these clubs produce way to high of a ball flight which takes away distance and although I can manipulate the swing to get it lower I do so at the loss of accuracy...for the high handicapper thrilled with a solid round of 89 (Larry) these clubs might be great and as poe4soul said I'm sure the pro teaching Larry is just thrilled about his weeks on the water from all the lessons...but there is a reason why tiger Phil and the others dont play the same clubs weekend folders do and that would be workability and accuracy...Larry I'm sure the pro will get to that lesson with you soon

I swore I wouldn't get involved but oh well here it goes...I do have to agree with Larry in one sence....in probably a brilliant way of portaging his elitis and condescending tone he is right to a point about clubs not making a difference...my current clubs are great for getting my swing and feel back, nothing more...where Larry is wrong is in that these clubs produce way to high of a ball flight which takes away distance and although I can manipulate the swing to get it lower I do so at the loss of accuracy...for the high handicapper thrilled with a solid round of 89 (Larry) these clubs might be great and as poe4soul said I'm sure the pro teaching Larry is just thrilled about his weeks on the water from all the lessons...but there is a reason why tiger Phil and the others dont play the same clubs weekend folders do and that would be workability and accuracy...Larry I'm sure the pro will get to that lesson with you soon
    Pro's play clubs that work for their swing. A low ball hitter will not be playing blades just as a high ball hitter will not be playing larger perimeter weighted cavity backs.

Which is exactly my point...thanks For reiterating

Wrong Reason

finally stepped my game up to the point that I've outgrown using these heavy shovels.
    You may have outgrown them, but it's not because they're "heavy." All iron heads are roughly the same weight, about 200 grams, whether they're OS shovels or tiny old-style blades. And if by any chance yours were made slightly heavier, say 206 g., you'd benefit with distance because your shafts would be correspondingly lighter. So get real and just say that you've finally developed some aesthetic sense, or have finally grown up enough not to care what others think about you wandering off the shovel reservation. You're like a black guy who figures out at 35 that it's OK to drive a car without huge rims.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Pro's play clubs that work for their swing. A low ball hitter will not be playing blades just as a high ball hitter will not be playing larger perimeter weighted cavity backs.
    A blade player will hit the ball low while a perimeter weighted cavity back player will hit the ball high.

I think all future club purchases should go through me first. Kind of like what Kiwi did in one of his threads. He asked me for my opinion before he decided to purchase. It makes sense because I'm arguably the best ballstriker in this forum and my knowledge of used clubs, blades and shovels is unsurpassed.

Ok so I see this forum is like many others, know it alls....actually 24putz I'm white, 39 and retired...I'm sure you can relate because you must have been as successful as I have to be in this position in life before 40...if you took the time to read my other posts before submitting such a wise ass answer you might have read that I haven't played in almost 4 years and my last irons were x12's so I went with a iron I felt might be similar...I play to an 8 handicap now but for 20 years coming out of college I played to a 3.5...My original post wasn't to illicit insecure children to whip it out and see who's is bigger but quite simply to get an intelligent opinion of current clubs if which I'm am not familiar with...that request has yielded one good response ( thanks again kiwi ) and for you info I like my rims on my e55 amg loser

Now that you've retired, you'll have plenty of time to study English grammar and sentence structure. Just give me your address and I'll send along a copy of Strunk & White.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! I'll be waiting for my copy. I just might lose 5 minutes if sleep because of the comment. Until I receive my copy I'll work on my French. Douche

And my apologies for my grammar and structure I'll be sure to write a grammatically incorrect letter to Jobs and apple complaining about the autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by larryrsf View Post

The problem is never the clubs and the fix is never different clubs. Defects in our swings totally swamp the tiny differences between premium golf clubs (anything better than k-mart).

There have been dozens of famous cases in which good players prove to amateurs that a good swing works with any club! Lee trevino took that concept to an extreme and broke 90 on a championship golf course using a bottle taped to a stick! He even putted with it!

When he turned pro he played his first us open with a batch of mis-matched clubs from the used barrel. He almost won!

Larry
    ROFL.......how's your gold doing? They aren't going to turn off your internet connection, are they?
    GR lives...

Ok so I see this forum is like many others, know it alls....actually 24putz I'm white, 39 and retired...I'm sure you can relate because you must have been as successful as I have to be in this position in life before 40...if you took the time to read my other posts before submitting such a wise ass answer you might have read that I haven't played in almost 4 years and my last irons were x12's so I went with a iron I felt might be similar...I play to an 8 handicap now but for 20 years coming out of college I played to a 3.5...My original post wasn't to illicit insecure children to whip it out and see who's is bigger but quite simply to get an intelligent opinion of current clubs if which I'm am not familiar with...that request has yielded one good response ( thanks again kiwi ) and for you info I like my rims on my e55 amg loser
    I think it's interesting how people who have retired early seem to believe that other people envy them or look up to them. I feel just the opposite. I think it's absolutely pathetic that someone would retire at the age of 40 and do nothing to contribute to society or help other people. If you retire at 40 and all you do is play golf and live a life of leisure then you define the term loser. If, however, you spend at least 20 hours a week helping other people in some fashion or contribute to the GNP then I solute you. Otherwise you are a drain on the system and statistically will be dead in less than 10 years.

A few years ago a buddy and I joined two other guys for a round of golf. These two guys were in their mid 40's and had just retired from 25 years of government work. They gloated about being retired and how they played golf almost every day. They were both fat and looked older than their age. The only way I can describe them is "loser".

Right, so I can see this forum was a mistake. Well famous******* I'm actually back in college finishing my masters and as 24putz has made clear I obviously need to brush up on my grammar. Much like putz instead of focusing on my actual question you've chosen to comment on **** you have no idea about. In retired because I was successful but the actual reason I've retired and back in school was because my wife died 2 years ago and I was unable to continue to work the hours and raise my 2 children. So please allow me to extend a heartfelt go **** yourself. You and putz might want to think before the waste that infests your brains hits the keypad, and it's quite amusing that putz reference to me being a 35 year old black man an rims didn't incite the same anger that me retiring because of my wife dying in a car accident. So once again **** off you judgmental price of ****

It's amazing that a simple question about irons can prompt a know it all ******* to tell you that you need lessons, a racist loser to compare you to a black man and his rims and a uniformed **** to question your work ethics and morals.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    You may have outgrown them, but it's not because they're "heavy." All iron heads are roughly the same weight, about 200 grams, whether they're OS shovels or tiny old-style blades. And if by any chance yours were made slightly heavier, say 206 g., you'd benefit with distance because your shafts would be correspondingly lighter. So get real and just say that you've finally developed some aesthetic sense, or have finally grown up enough not to care what others think about you wandering off the shovel reservation. You're like a black guy who figures out at 35 that it's OK to drive a car without huge rims.
    No. All modern driver heads weigh around 200 grams +/- 2-4 grams. Iron heads are progressively lighter from wedge on down. My Mizuno MP-14's are on the heavy side of those I've measured. The head weights are: PW- 296 g., 9-288 g., 8- 284 g., 7-273 g., 6- 267 g., 5-259 g., 4-253 g., 3-246 g. My Titleist 755 heads run around 10 grams lighter per head. Both are forged. The heavy feeling of his clubs would be due to the shaft weighting and/or sole configuration. So with a different set of shafts in his existing heads, the feel for him might improve enough for him to hit them as well as he thinks he could hit a better set.

Right, so I can see this forum was a mistake. Well famous******* I'm actually back in college finishing my masters and as 24putz has made clear I obviously need to brush up on my grammar. Much like putz instead of focusing on my actual question you've chosen to comment on **** you have no idea about. In retired because I was successful but the actual reason I've retired and back in school was because my wife died 2 years ago and I was unable to continue to work the hours and raise my 2 children. So please allow me to extend a heartfelt go **** yourself. You and putz might want to think before the waste that infests your brains hits the keypad, and it's quite amusing that putz reference to me being a 35 year old black man an rims didn't incite the same anger that me retiring because of my wife dying in a car accident. So once again **** off you judgmental price of ****

I clearly stated what I thought of someone who retires at 40 and does nothing. Obviously you don't fall into that category. I'm sorry to hear about your wife but obviously I had no way of knowing. Getting back to the irons, I really think you should buy the Mizuno MP-59.

I think it's interesting how people who have retired early seem to believe that other people envy them or look up to them. I feel just the opposite. I think it's absolutely pathetic that someone would retire at the age of 40 and do nothing to contribute to society or help other people. If you retire at 40 and all you do is play golf and live a life of leisure then you define the term loser.

You clearly assumed I thought i was better then others. You clearly stated that only playing golf and enjoying a life of leisure defines a loser. Your right that you had no way of knowing about my wife so if I now may offer you my unwanted opinion. Consider asking questions before you make a comment that was you might come off as less of an *******.

I think it's interesting how people who have retired early seem to believe that other people envy them or look up to them. I feel just the opposite. I think it's absolutely pathetic that someone would retire at the age of 40 and do nothing to contribute to society or help other people. If you retire at 40 and all you do is play golf and live a life of leisure then you define the term loser.

You clearly assumed I thought i was better then others. You clearly stated that only playing golf and enjoying a life of leisure defines a loser. Your right that you had no way of knowing about my wife so if I now may offer you my unwanted opinion. Consider asking questions before you make a comment that was you might come off as less of an *******.

No. .

Nevertheless, is it true that a 5-iron head from an '80's blade set weighs about the same as a 5-iron head from a modern set of SGI shovels?

You're the one who was bragging about being retired. I don't recall anyone asking you about your working status do you? I do think that people who only play golf and do nothing to contribute to society are losers. That's my right as an American to state my opinion. Earlier you stated you opinion, although not so eloquently.

It's amazing that a simple question about irons can prompt a know it all ******* to tell you that you need lessons, a racist loser to compare you to a black man and his rims and a uniformed **** to question your work ethics and morals.
    Stick around JC.

You'll get the vibe of this place.

Famousdavis is GR's self proclaimed "Greatest Ballstriker that ever lived" and has ho'ed through so many different sets of clubs that he is a great source of information on equipment. Just beware of his bias towards Ping, particularly Ping Eye 2 irons. He has an unhealthy obsession with them.

Besides we want to know what clubs you end up getting.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I agree that clubs don't make that much difference but buying and trying different equipment (not necessarily the latest and greatest) is part of the enjoyment of the game for some of us.

I don't need a new car either. The old one goes just fine but that doesn't mean I don't want to upgrade to a newer model every now and then.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Jcjr, it's been my experience people are most critical of others diplaying the same shortcomings as themselves. Criticism and judgement is typically nothing more than self-loathing.

Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope after two years your kids and you are doing well. I salute you for dedicating yourself to your kids and continuing your education.

I agree with Kiwi about the Mizunos. If you can find a demo day as I recently did, it would give you a great chance to see which model works best for you, although I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the MP series, given that at one time you were a 3.5. I'm about to a retire a worn out set of MP-32-s which were great during their useful life and I'd be very content to find something that peformed the same. I also have a set of KZG irons that I also love and if you're looking for a forgiving blade, it would be hard to beat the ZO-s. They have gotten a little expensive.

Good luck and stick around, you might at some point find this place a fun outlet.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Nevertheless, is it true that a 5-iron head from an '80's blade set weighs about the same as a 5-iron head from a modern set of SGI shovels?
    Although I've not weighed many heads, only some of those I own, I think their weights will not vary by too much. Mainly because the shaft weights have not changed much. The True Temper steel shaft of old is going to be in the 130 gram range just like the Dynamic Golds of today. But the modern light weight steel shafts make it possible to get away with slightly lighter head weights to maintain the same feel AKA "swing weight".I have driver heads from a good way back in time as well as some old fairway wood heads and they are all within a few grams of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I think it's interesting how people who have retired early seem to believe that other people envy them or look up to them. I feel just the opposite. I think it's absolutely pathetic that someone would retire at the age of 40 and do nothing to contribute to society or help other people. If you retire at 40 and all you do is play golf and live a life of leisure then you define the term loser. If, however, you spend at least 20 hours a week helping other people in some fashion or contribute to the GNP then I solute you. Otherwise you are a drain on the system and statistically will be dead in less than 10 years.

A few years ago a buddy and I joined two other guys for a round of golf. These two guys were in their mid 40's and had just retired from 25 years of government work. They gloated about being retired and how they played golf almost every day. They were both fat and looked older than their age. The only way I can describe them is "loser".
    The only way you can retire in your 40's after 25 years of government work is if a lot of those years were in military service. If that was the case, those guys probably payed their dues and are fat and look older than their ages because they have been in the sh*t. Thank God you were not required to go into the sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by emmanmin View Post
    JC
    I've spent the last couple of years looking for the perfect irons. I myself find that the mizuno mp 32's are simply the best i've ever hit. They would be dificult to find new though. My suggestion would be to look at the new mizuno's as well if you want to buy new clubs. The Mp 59 with the ti muscle look very tempting.
    Relatively new sets can be found on Ebay. The set of MP-32s I have were bought off Ebay and I bet they haven't been played over 10 rounds and are in great shape.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

The only way you can retire in your 40's after 25 years of government work is if a lot of those years were in military service. If that was the case, those guys probably payed their dues and are fat and look older than their ages because they have been in the sh*t. Thank God you were not required to go into the sh*t.
    You know that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone who either retired from a government job or made a lot of money on their own and now just plays golf all the time. That being said, everyone's situation is different so I guess it was a dumb judgement call on my part.

A blade player will hit the ball low while a perimeter weighted cavity back player will hit the ball high.

I think all future club purchases should go through me first. Kind of like what Kiwi did in one of his threads. He asked me for my opinion before he decided to purchase. It makes sense because I'm arguably the best ballstriker in this forum and my knowledge of used clubs, blades and shovels is unsurpassed.
    Great logic FD. Let's say I hit the ball too low. I'm not going to play a blade. See my point? I'm going to play a CB to give me a higher trajectory. Or the opposite if I hit the ball too high. Pros play clubs for different reasons then most think.

The old Tai Chi pratice swing video may never be seen again, but bringing back the Lee Trevino coke bottle tied to a stick story is a nice consolation. Keep the good times rolling Larry.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

JC Jr.,
    Most of these people giving you a hard time are what your people refer to as "haters," and we all know that haters gonna hate.
    When I first joined this forum, I too was senselessly attacked by people below my strata. I have since gained the respect and fear from everyone on this board. Keep your chin up and have solace in the fact that you could buy and sell all of these haters a dozen times over. It's the only thing that keeps me going some days.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

You know that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about someone who either retired from a government job or made a lot of money on their own and now just plays golf all the time. That being said, everyone's situation is different so I guess it was a dumb judgement call on my part.
    My father was one of 11 and grew up in a house without indoor plumbing until WWII. Farmers. He got a job in a steel factory during the Depression when there were no jobs. The buildup to WWII jump-started the steel industry. A few years later, he and a guy who had a 6th grade formal education quit and started their own shop. Ten years later they sold out to a multi-national conglomerate for lots of bucks. He retired in his mid-40's and played a lot of golf all over the country until he was physically no longer able to. If anyone could quit working and play golf all the time, they should kneel down every morning and THANK GOD. Amen. Mongrel out.

I agree that clubs don't make that much difference but buying and trying different equipment (not necessarily the latest and greatest) is part of the enjoyment of the game for some of us.

I don't need a new car either. The old one goes just fine but that doesn't mean I don't want to upgrade to a newer model every now and then.
    I think that I prefer new irons to a new car. I get more enjoyment from the clubs, the maintenance and the 40% loss off the lot is easier on the pocket book.

My father was one of 11 and grew up in a house without indoor plumbing until WWII. Farmers. He got a job in a steel factory during the Depression when there were no jobs. The buildup to WWII jump-started the steel industry. A few years later, he and a guy who had a 6th grade formal education quit and started their own shop. Ten years later they sold out to a multi-national conglomerate for lots of bucks. He retired in his mid-40's and played a lot of golf all over the country until he was physically no longer able to. If anyone could quit working and play golf all the time, they should kneel down every morning and THANK GOD. Amen. Mongrel out.
    That's a nice story. My grandfather was a dentist and practiced until he was 80 years old. He died when he was 97 years old and played golf until he was 95. I don't think God put on us this earth to quit contributing in our 40's and play golf every day. Hey, if you want to put in several hours a week at a charitable organization or just work part time that's great. But to contribute nothing is unacceptable, no matter what you've done up to that point.

Ok Davis starting to see your point of view.

Oh yeah, almost completely forgot why I posted here in the first place. I ended up buying a used set online from global golf. Callaway x forged 2009 model. I stayed with callaway simply because of familiarity and also because the poser in me likes having one manufacturer in the bag. $249 shipped "like new" condition so I'll see how this ends up. I figure worse case it wasn't too much money to take a shot.

Ok Davis starting to see your point of view.

You are not alone. Many guys who started off disagreeing with me have come around to my way of thinking. Just ask Lorenzo and NAH, we're like regular pals now. How 'bout a Fresca?

Stick around JC.

You'll get the vibe of this place.

Famousdavis is GR's self proclaimed "Greatest Ballstriker that ever lived" .
    I seem to remember that "famous" lives not far from Del Mar Golf Center where he could go and demonstrate his great swing to teaching pros Kevin or Bob Bellisi. I am not an expert, of course, but they would tell me what they see--and I would report it here. In fact I think Kevin could shoot a short video clip of his swing and I could post it here.

Put up or shut up?

Larry

I seem to remember that "famous" lives not far from Del Mar Golf Center where he could go and demonstrate his great swing to teaching pros Kevin or Bob Bellisi. I am not an expert, of course, but they would tell me what they see--and I would report it here. In fact I think Kevin could shoot a short video clip of his swing and I could post it here.

Put up or shut up?

Larry
    Larry, any time you want to tee it up I'll give you 4 a side in matchplay format and you can see for yourself if I'm a good ballstriker. Loser pays for the golf.

I don't practice at golf ranges with mats and miniature golf and batting cages as the main attraction, which is exactly what Del Mar Golf Center is.

Great logic FD. Let's say I hit the ball too low. I'm not going to play a blade. See my point? I'm going to play a CB to give me a higher trajectory. Or the opposite if I hit the ball too high. Pros play clubs for different reasons then most think.
    ORRRRR, you could take a lesson or two, learn what you do wrong, and then do the necessary drills to change your swing. I would bet big that what you think you do wrong IS WRONG, and your ideas about clubs making the difference you expect would be laughable to a teaching pro.

A teaching pro would laugh at your ideas about clubs because he and all good players can hit the ball on the trajectory they want to. They can use any club, CB or forged blade, graphite or steel shaft, to hit it high or keep it low. They can turn it either direction. It is the swing, not the club.

Larry

Larry, any time you want to tee it up I'll give you 4 a side in matchplay format and you can see for yourself if I'm a good ballstriker. Loser pays for the golf.

I don't practice at golf ranges with mats and miniature golf and batting cages as the main attraction, which is exactly what Del Mar Golf Center is.
    There are dozens and dozens of natural grass tees at DMGC. So you could hit dozens of balls with any club from perfect grass lies. There are targets out there at every distance. You could demonstrate the quality and consistency of your ball striking. If I am impressed I will post that here!

Also, I could setup a swing evaluation for you, FREE! I think one of the teaching pros would be happy to video your swing and critique it. I could post that video here too.....?

Larry

.... all good players can hit the ball on the trajectory they want to. They can use any club, CB or forged blade, graphite or steel shaft, to hit it high or keep it low. They can turn it either direction. It is the swing, not the club.

Larry
    That is 100% true and correct. And when their swings are dialed in, they will attempt to find the clubs that work the best for them. With so many choices, it can be a daunting task.

There are dozens and dozens of natural grass tees at DMGC. So you could hit dozens of balls with any club from perfect grass lies. There are targets out there at every distance. You could demonstrate the quality and consistency of your ball striking. If I am impressed I will post that here!

Also, I could setup a swing evaluation for you, FREE! I think one of the teaching pros would be happy to video your swing and critique it. I could post that video here too.....?

Larry
    A video of my swing has been posted on this website several times. Who are you, the last guy to know?

I've been to Del Mar golf center on the "grass" range and there was no grass to be seen. The section they had to hit from was uneven and full of divots. Why would I have a video taken from a pro that works at a driving range?

My buddy and I are playing at Riverwalk tomorrow. PM me if you are interested in joining us. I looked on Golfnow and there are still two spaces available. Matchplay, I give you 4 a side on the 8 toughest holes. The match of the century.

A video of my swing has been posted on this website several times. Who are you, the last guy to know?

I've been to Del Mar golf center on the "grass" range and there was no grass to be seen. The section they had to hit from was uneven and full of divots. Why would I have a video taken from a pro that works at a driving range?

My buddy and I are playing at Riverwalk tomorrow. PM me if you are interested in joining us. I looked on Golfnow and there are still two spaces available. Matchplay, I give you 4 a side on the 8 toughest holes. The match of the century.
    It would really be the match of the century if you could get as a fourth that Black Knight you videod awhile ago to team up with Larry. He sure has a repeatable pre-shot routine.

You ever shoot par with a 7-iron?
    Hell, Roy......it never occurred to me to try.
    pops into my mind every time Larry recites its not the clubs

Come on Larry.

Step up to the plate like a man. You backed out of your $1,000 match with Alangbaker with dubious excuses. Now is your opportunity for redemption. You feeling froggy?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Come on Larry.

Step up to the plate like a man. You backed out of your $1,000 match with Alangbaker with dubious excuses. Now is your opportunity for redemption. You feeling froggy?
    4 a side. Larry would be a fool to not to play Fd. Put up, or shut up.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Larry, I have been one of your only supporters on this forum, but if you tuck your tail and hide from this challenge, you'll have lost me as well.
    I'll still hold you in higher regard than that Canadian basement-dwelling stalker, but just barely.
    Sack up, old man. Your honor has been called out and you cannot hide. If you don't have an excellent excuse like a prostate exam or an all day bingo tournament, you better not show your face around here again.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Larry, I have been one of your only supporters on this forum, but if you tuck your tail and hide from this challenge, you'll have lost me as well.
    I'll still hold you in higher regard than that Canadian basement-dwelling stalker, but just barely.
    Sack up, old man. Your honor has been called out and you cannot hide. If you don't have an excellent excuse like a prostate exam or an all day bingo tournament, you better not show your face around here again.
    "tomorrow" is Friday, a work day in my world. I only play golf on weekends. And I live in Rancho Santa Fe, 7 miles inland from the I-5 at Del Mar. That course is on the I-8, nearly 20 miles South of here. We NEVER let ourselves get caught much further South than the 52 highway in the afternoon, especially Friday afternoon, traffic could add an hour+ to the trip home.
    I will be playing Admiral Baker Sunday morning.

I would rather not play golf with folks who have posted insults.... prudent people refrain from painting ourselves into such corners ..

However, I would meet him at the range-- and let him show me (and the teaching pros) his stated ability to "strike the ball."

If he can play well enough to beat me by 8 strokes he will need to score below par-- and that would require a repeating swing that would impress both me--and the teaching pros!!! He would need to hit it like a pro.

In my experience, everyone on the range notices when an elite-level player is among us. We can HEAR the different sound as they compress the ball. So I will be anxious to see and hear him perform!!! Wow! I will bring out the entire staff there to watch in awe!

BTW, Kevin Weishan, one of the pros at DMGC, carries a +4 handicap, plays tournaments from the tips. He does hit it like a pro, you can hear him compress the ball and see the clubhead accelerate through. Here he hits an ancient steel shaft forged blade 1-iron 250 yards. BTW, notice the grass tees of Del Mar Golf Center behind him. They are lush and level. Good enough for anyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsvRfgLP3w

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 10-06-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Looks like you may be relegated to playing a game of Range Golf with him. Maybe best out of five H.O.R.S.E? Call your shot and if the other guy can't match it he gets a letter? Like basketball when I was a kid. Or a swing contest. With a panel of judges from The Range. Like Dancing With the Stars.

"tomorrow" is Friday, a work day in my world. I only play golf on weekends. And I live in Rancho Santa Fe, 7 miles inland from the I-5 at Del Mar. That course is on the I-8, nearly 20 miles South of here. We NEVER let ourselves get caught much further South than the 52 highway in the afternoon, especially Friday afternoon, traffic could add an hour+ to the trip home.

I would rather not play golf with folks who have posted insults.... prudent people refrain from painting ourselves into such corners ..

However, I would meet him at the range-- and let him show me (and the teaching pros) his stated ability to "strike the ball."

If he can play well enough to beat me by 8 strokes he will need to score below par-- and that would require a repeating swing that would impress both me--and the teaching pros!!! He would need to hit it like a pro.

In my experience, everyone on the range notices when an elite-level player is among us. We can HEAR the different sound as they compress the ball. So I will be anxious to see and hear him perform!!! Wow! I will bring out the entire staff there to watch in awe!

BTW, Kevin Weishan, one of the pros at DMGC, carries a +4 handicap, plays tournaments from the tips. He does hit it like a pro, you can hear him compress the ball and see the clubhead accelerate through. Here he hits an ancient steel shaft forged blade 1-iron 250 yards. BTW, notice the grass tees of Del Mar Golf Center behind him. They are lush and level. Good enough for anyone!

Larry
    WHAT"S THIS LARRY???

WORK???

I thought you lived a life of leisure as a successful and prosperous futures trader? I always picture you on the beach in Hawaii, cocktail in one hand, iPhone in the other checking your futures options. Never thought you Ranch Santa Fe types needed to work. Maybe you should have studied harder in College.

Now where the f#ck am I?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-U0W...eature=related

Lotsa stuff more important than golf! I keep it in perspective. On Saturday mornings I am playing tennis doubles at the club. AND I am getting my serve back! Lefty kick that would cause a hernia in the slow!

Larry

And Hale Irwin will take all the prize money playing cavity back graphite shafts. He still holds the record for most wins and most money won in year on the Champion's Tour. No telling how much money he would have won if he had been smart enough to play stiff steel shaft forged blades! Wow! He was an academic "All American" as well as a standout cornerback on the Colorado football team. But just not smart enough to play Mizunos! Darn.

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 10-07-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Larry
    "prudent," LOL!

I noticed this video is where they give lesson's. What does the rest of the range look like?

Kevin, really? My Pro could beat Kevin. LOL! Pretty childish for a retired futures trader.

Do you really need your pro there to tell that FD is a golfer or not? Man up Lary and play golf with FD. BTW - he said he has 2 spots open. You could invite your Pro!

Another one who has written things that preclude his invitation to join polite company. Imprudent.

Larry

Another one who has written things that preclude his invitation to join polite company. Imprudent.

Larry
    Lary, You hurt my feelings.... And I was looking forward to seeing and hearing you hit a 235 yard 3 wood into a stiff fairway breeze.

You have to understand that your comments to FD were pretty childish. Then again, you might not.

Lary, You hurt my feelings.... And I was looking forward to seeing and hearing you hit a 235 yard 3 wood into a stiff fairway breeze.

You have to understand that your comments to FD were pretty childish. Then again, you might not.
    You'll have to forgive L.arry, he's really taken it up the gazoo here this week. And I'm guessing this isn't the only place where he regularly receives a colonoscopy.
    GR lives...

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)

Larry, please: serious golfers only in this discussion.

You—an 17+ hacker—are trying to tell an 8 handicap what he needs.

It's laughable.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Really? So a 5'2" tall woman should use the exact same clubs as a 6'6" tall power lifter?
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Put up or shut up?
    Well I certainly think there is no chance that you'd report honestly, Larry.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Ok, here it is. Video of the best ball striker in the U.S., and possibly anywhere for that matter. Click on the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqo9IJIKCaM

And here's the second video, for your viewing pleasure. You'll have to excuse the attire. I hadn't placed my clothing aside for an early morning tee time so I had to quickly grab some slacks, shirt & saddle shoes. Click the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXUgXLBl5TM

Is twirling the club and dropping it an essential part of the pre-shot routine?

I think I will damn you with faint praise and tell you that it's a hell of a lot better than Larry's...

...but I'm sure he'll come on and exclaim: "LATE".

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Nice swing there FD. A good solid 10-15 cap swing if ever I saw one. All you need to do is add some zip, balance, technique, clubhead speed and athletic ability you could be a half decent ballstriker. I wouldn't fell confident giving you any more than about 3 a side straight up matchplay.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Nice swing there FD. A good solid 10-15 cap swing if ever I saw one. All you need to do is add some zip, balance, technique, clubhead speed and athletic ability you could be a half decent ballstriker. I wouldn't fell confident giving you any more than about 3 a side straight up matchplay.
    I shot 78. I admit I have a horrible takeaway but somehow it works. It's actually shocking to me how laid off I am because I can't feel it. I have a lot of work to do. Here's some pre-game range work. I may have a laid off backswing but I hit the ball more solidly than anyone. I'm the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp99akPDeBw
    Last edited by famousdavis; 10-08-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Put up or shut up?

Larry
    Larry... if you initiated the challenge then we would hope that you are brave enough to show how good you are... Who the Fuch cares about teaching pros, my next door neighbor used to be the head pro of Bent Creek private CC in Lancaster PA until 1998 when he moved out to Scottsdale AZ as a head pro there... so what... If I challenged FD then I would give him a run for a money, even if I knew he WILL beat the sh$$$t out of me... be a man

I shot 78. I admit I have a horrible takeaway but somehow it works. It's actually shocking to me how laid off I am because I can't feel it. I have a lot of work to do. Here's some pre-game range work. I may have a laid off backswing but I hit the ball more solidly than anyone. I'm the man.

Kudos for you for posting those tee shot videos. It will take a thick skin to deflect the barbs and arrows of all the Swing Experts here on the forum of which I am not one. If I posted one of mine (which I do not know how) you would all convulse with laughter. Pky may be the first to see it.

In all seriousness you have good rhythm and I like the way you clear your body and get all your weight on the let side through imapct. I honestly think you overswing slightly and would get more zip if you shortened your backswing a little. Bubba and JD are the only guys who go pasy parrallel and get away with it, most golfers wold do well to tighten up the backswing.

Thread Information