|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Average tour Pro distances?

Without wanting to get dissed too much i am very curious if anyone can help me understand the average tour pro distances.

Everyone i currently play with suggests I hit the ball a mile (always relative to who you are playing with i know) and i have always thought it was relative to other hackers since the pro's must be hitting at least 1-2 clubs less than myself. This was until i played with my own pro (we go out once a week for 9 holes) and i was outdriving him with my 3 wood and he was using a driver (no i'm not B.S.ing you, and no i'm not trying to blow my own horn just looking for some answers).

I hit my clubs:
    PW 115 metres (126 yards)
    7 iron: 160 metres (176 yards)
    5 wood: 220 metres (242 yards)
    3 wood: 260 metres (286 yards)
    driver: Don't use very often as not very accurate. Pro says no need with my 3 wood distance.

fyi i was shooting in the low 100's approx 6 months ago but now shooting in low 80's after weekly golf lessons with an aim to be in single digit by end of the year.

I really am not trying to say i am or am not a big hitter, but would love to understand if these distances are way behind the tour pro's, close to or equal to.

Use this knowledge for good...never for evil.

YARDAGE COMPARISON TABLE--Typical Ranges in Yardage Lob Wedge thru Driver
    Male Touring Pros--long to very long Low-Hdcp Males 18-47 yrs--average to very long
    Average Males 18-47 yrs--moderate to long
    High-Hdcp Males 18-47 yrs--short to average
    Mid-age, Mid-Hdcp 48-62 yrs--moderate to average
    Older, Mid-High Hdcp 63-77 yrs--short to average
    Elderly Males Over 77 yrs--very short to moderate
    Very Short--------Short---------Moderate---------- Average--------Long--------------Very Long
    LWup to 30---LW30 - 50----LW45 - 60---------LW60 - 75----LW70 - 90---------LW95+
    SWup to 40--SW55 - 75----SW70 - 92--------SW89 -100---SW100 -110------SW115+
    PWup to 55--PW80 - 95----PW90 -112-------PW110 -121--PW122 -135-----PW137+
    9-up to 65-----9- 89 -105-----9- 100 -122------9- 120 -132-----9- 135 -147--------9- 149+
    8-up to 75-----8- 98 -115-----8- 110 -132------8- 131 -143-----8- 146 -159--------8- 162+
    7-up to 85-----7- 107 -125---7- 120 -142------7- 142 -154-----7- 157 -170--------7- 175+
    6-up to 95-----6- 116 -135---6- 130 -152------6- 153 -165-----6- 168 -181--------6- 187+
    5-up to 105---5- 125 -145---5- 140 -162------5- 164 -176-----5- 179 -192--------5- 199+
    4-up to 115---4- 134 -155---4- 150 -172------4- 175 -187-----4- 190 -203--------4- 210+
    3-up to 125---3- 143 -165---3- 160 -182------3- 186 -198-----3- 200 -214--------3- 220+
    5w to 145-----5w 150 -175--5w 170 -195-----5w 192 -218---5w 213 -240-------5w 240+
    3w to 155-----3w 160 -190--3w 185 - 210----3w 205 - 235--3w 230 - 255------3w 260+
    D to 175-------D 180 -220---D 215 -245-------D 235 -270----D 255 -285---------D 285+

I'm borderline moderate/average myself for all clubs.
    Last edited by WarriorPoet; 11-04-2004 at 02:23 AM.

The AVERAGE tour pro driving distances are in the high 200's to low 300's. But when the long hitters really crank one, it can go 350-360+) However, tour pros generally don't use a full power swing with their driver; they are going for control. So they are hitting it 290-330 but the crucial difference is that they are also highly accurate, where the typical long hitting amateur may be able to hit it nearly as far but frequently gets into trouble doing so. (Even one or two of out of bounds drives per round will kill an otherwise great score.) Golf is not about neandrathal distances; it's about placement and control. Assuming the distances you've reported are reasonably accurate (and that can be a "leap of faith" on any golf board) and represent an AVERAGE, not a selective recollection of your greatest shots, then with further work and practice your scores will continue to drop, as accuracy improves. My current index is 10, though my distances are very "average". However, by hitting straight (usually) and using conservative course management, I can frequently outscore longer hitters who get themselves in trouble with their booming but occasionally problematically inaccurate drives. O.B or water on drives = score killer.

Great post Warriot. Were did you get that?

I'm right between average and long. I guess that's were I should be with a 9 hdcp.

TigerVince, congrats. You're huge, but don't forget it's not how far it's how many.

One of the best players I know has never hit a 225 yard drive in his life, but I've seen him break par on 6500 yard courses quite a few times. I've also got a friend that can hit straight 300 yard drives on demand, but has never broken 80. He gets invited to play scrambles 20 times a year, but I'd never take him in a best ball.

It seems like you're pretty even with most of the long hitters on tour. Golf Digest has a "what's in my bag" column where tour players give their yardages for each club.
    http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/mybag

You seem to have Vijay distance. I only read the female numbers, it makes me feel better about my game.

The long drive guys are riduculous though. There was a golf channel episode of "playing lessons with the pros" with two guys from the long drive tour. They could reach most of the par fours in one, and would hit 7 iron from 250 or something stupid like that. Both were awful putters though and were probably over par for the round

Quote Originally Posted by Earl
    Great post Warriot. Were did you get that?

I'm right between average and long. I guess that's were I should be with a 9 hdcp.

TigerVince, congrats. You're huge, but don't forget it's not how far it's how many.

One of the best players I know has never hit a 225 yard drive in his life, but I've seen him break par on 6500 yard courses quite a few times. I've also got a friend that can hit straight 300 yard drives on demand, but has never broken 80. He gets invited to play scrambles 20 times a year, but I'd never take him in a best ball.
    You don't have to take my word for it.

those iron distances are about average, but that 3-wood is probably above average.

this is just the average, not the longest person's average.

I wonder if anyone here is going beat up on Vijay Singh or Ernie Els for how long they hit their 60 degree lobwedges cause I sure got beat up on. Christie Kerr even hits a 58 degree lobwedge 78 yards. Very long look similar to my yardages. That just means it's easier to hit into the woods.

Just a thought on this. I am somewhere around, by the chart, the high side of long or a low side of very long with a normal swing on a ball. But, I have to agree with Earl. It's not how far, it's how accurate. In my younger days I would go for everything...rather stupid when I look back on it. I either shot very low or very high. But, the last couple of years, with injuries and so forth, I have learned to control my distance a lot better. I now only really rip at a ball when there isn't trouble or when I absolutely need to in match play or if I'm just in a total groove that particular day. I would recommend working on 3/4 and 1/2 shots with your short irons. This will give a much better understanding of your swing and give you a much greater arsenal of shots. Your muscles will also know how to do more than just "rip away." Trust me, it'll help a ton.

A couple years back I played a match play event against the defending state match play champion. I went into it thinking "get ready for the beating" in an attempt to prepare myself for a serious whipping. Well, I was about 30-40 yards longer off of the tee and I didn't hit one bad shot that entire day but this guy was crazy with his short game. I think he chipped in 3 times and made some serious long putts. I was lucky to get away with a win. That was during the time when I first started to learn to control my swing. After playing this guy I worked at it even harder just because I saw some of the awesome shots he made by being able to work the ball and control things so well. So, anyway, keep up the lessons and hard work...sounds like you're really improving.

Thanks

Thanks everyone firstly for taking it easy on me, no real damage to the ego . Secondly for providing me with exaclty the information I was needing (thanks Warrior).

Just for clarification these are average distances and I am trying not to RIP it. In fact I would gladly give up some of my distance in order to have better accuracy.

Incidently I played 9 holes with my pro today I hit 85% of fairways (I use Intelligolf it is fantastic for tracking stats) but only 22% of GIR so need a little more accuracy with my approach shots and a lot of work on my short game which is really racking up the numbers for me. He on the other hand looked like he was not trying and had easy pars on EVERY hole (sigh), despite missing a few greens himself (up and down seems to be the way to save shots).

I saw Sergio hit an approach today on a par 5. The yardage was 255 to the back edge of the green and he hit 3 iron. Flew the back.

By that chart, he would be considered John Holmes.

I hit my 8 iron about 143 and my driver I can easily hit over 300 time and time again. I hit my 3 iron about 215 and my 3 wood about 275. My 60* lob wedge i hit about 3 yards and my 51* wedge I hit about 75. I never take a full swing with a wedge, never. I'd rather club up and be smooth.

So what's the matter with my game?

That's right. A chart can't put you into a category. No one fits into that perfectly.

Just my observations.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

today i played for the first time in the colder weather, 50 degrees with a wind ( i live in north east louisiana). I ussually take my 8 iron 160-165. today i was hitting it 150-155. basically i just went down a club on my distances. Maybe it was the balls i was using in the cold weather (precept utri-tour), or just i couldnt stay loose during the round. But the cold didnt have much effect off the tee, was still hitting it around the 280+ range. still shot 39,on the front nine at a course close by my home course(calvert crossing). i missed the first two greens resulting in two of my bogeys, after that it was all pars and except a bogey on the last par 3, a difficult hole about 195. wind in my face and took a 3 iron. hit the front and 3 putted. Freshman football is over, now time to get serious with golf and baseball. That could be difficlult, two sports that don't mix well. I'll see how things turn out in my golf game this january when both of the seasons start. by the way, any of you ever heard of West Monroe Rebels. We're a 5AAAAA highscool team. we were national champions in football in 98' and 00'. we're supposed to play some teams next year from texas, oklahoma, evangel (team from shreveport that play la salle and got there a$$es handed to them, it was televised on ESPN last year) and another team from arkansas. Tis year we are currently ranked 21 in the nation as of last week.

kirksey

Hey Warrior,
    I am taking your word for it, I was just wondering where the chart came from so I could see if there was an article that went along with it.

I couldn't get your link to open up, so I'll try again when I get home tonight.

Later

Hey Warrior,
    I am taking your word for it, I was just wondering where the chart came from so I could see if there was an article that went along with it.

Later
    That looks like the same chart that www.swingweight.com has had up for a while. There was very little else that went along with it.
    Please, just call me Schemp...

Hey Warrior,

Later
    I found it at golfclubreview.com awhile ago and saved it to my computer. It seems it's been found elsewhere as well.

Thread Information