|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom

After another mediocre putting round yesterday, I decided to go to the local Golf Mart and try out some of their putters. They had a used (but in fantastic shape) Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Putter, 35 inches for $59. My first thought is how great a price that is for a Cameron. Golf Mart has a large practice putting green so I took about 8 balls and placed them down about 20 feet from one of the holes. I made 6 out of 8 and they all felt wonderful. This putter is so easy to line up. The only problem is that I've never played a mallet putter and this one is the mallets of all mallets. It's pretty strange looking but all I care about is making putts.

Has anyone ever tried this putter or the smaller Futura model?

I've pasted a photo of the putter below. If you can't see it let me know. I'm using Firefox right now and sometimes it doesn't show up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	futura phantomputter.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	2773  

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Thats probably the only scotty i would buy.
    Why do you say that or are you pulling my leg? I know you don't like the Red X models. Detail?

Thats probably the only scotty i would buy.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Can't see your photo but if its the putter I think it is, you got a real good deal on it. Doesn't it have that semi-circular tube in the back with both ends affixed to the rear of the head? Nice mallet size and shape. That tube reminds me of half a circular propane burner. You could punch a couple of holes in the top of that tube, install a miniature propane bottle in the butt end and run a hose to the tube. When you're waiting at the turn, all you do is turn on the valve, take a match to the tube, get your can of refritos out of your bag, and heat and enjoy. Hasta la vista, Jefe.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Can't see your photo but if its the putter I think it is, you got a real good deal on it. Doesn't it have that semi-circular tube in the back with both ends affixed to the rear of the head? Nice mallet size and shape. That tube reminds me of half a circular propane burner. You could punch a couple of holes in the top of that tube, install a miniature propane bottle in the butt end and run a hose to the tube. When you're waiting at the turn, all you do is turn on the valve, take a match to the tube, get your can of refritos out of your bag, and heat and enjoy. Hasta la vista, Jefe.
    Let me know if you can see it this time. I'm using Internet Explorer:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	futura phantomputter.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	2774  

Lets face it, its as pretty as Ping eye2's. If it works, buy it. I use an odyssey number 5 and once i got used to a mallet style, i now find it very hard to keep a blade putter stable through the stroke. I started off with a larger mallet(bobby grace mk5) and have found the #5 sits right between the two. Once you get over the visual of a mallet i think they are just more solid. Mate of mine has 2 scotty camerons, a newport 2.5 and a fastback 1.5. I've tried both and in the feel dept the fastback wins hands down, and if it wasn't for price i would get one today.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

So, tell me, FD, do you also attend Trekkie Conventions? Live long and prosper . . . . . .
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    So, tell me, FD, do you also attend Trekkie Conventions? Live long and prosper . . . . . .
    "Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim." --Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    LOL.

Do the green b*tches turn you on Kirk?

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Why do you say that or are you pulling my leg? I know you don't like the Red X models. Detail?
    I like face balanced mallets with soft feel.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    Lets face it, its as pretty as Ping eye2's. If it works, buy it. I use an odyssey number 5 and once i got used to a mallet style, i now find it very hard to keep a blade putter stable through the stroke. I started off with a larger mallet(bobby grace mk5) and have found the #5 sits right between the two. Once you get over the visual of a mallet i think they are just more solid. Mate of mine has 2 scotty camerons, a newport 2.5 and a fastback 1.5. I've tried both and in the feel dept the fastback wins hands down, and if it wasn't for price i would get one today.
    Mallets are usually face balanced so they are more stable and almost self correcting if you swing the putter with light hands.

I think it's important to have 2 very different looking putters, so you can switch to a totally different look/feel when putting goes south.
    I've got a Hogan Bettinardi Anser style toe-balanced putter and a crazy Bat-signal looking mallet. If the Bat-signal loses it's magic, I'll go back to the Bettinardi for a few weeks and inevitably putt better. When that goes to sh!t, it's back to the mallet. Even if you don't switch the gamer, it's good to practice with a different look to make the gamer look new.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I think it's important to have 2 very different looking putters, so you can switch to a totally different look/feel when putting goes south.
    I've got a Hogan Bettinardi Anser style toe-balanced putter and a crazy Bat-signal looking mallet. If the Bat-signal loses it's magic, I'll go back to the Bettinardi for a few weeks and inevitably putt better. When that goes to sh!t, it's back to the mallet. Even if you don't switch the gamer, it's good to practice with a different look to make the gamer look new.
    WTF - where's the Nike unitized?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

They had a used (but in fantastic shape) Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Putter, 35 inches for $59. My first thought is how great a price that is for a Cameron. Golf Mart has a large practice putting green so I took about 8 balls and placed them down about 20 feet from one of the holes. I made 6 out of 8 and they all felt wonderful. This putter is so easy to line up. .
    I had a similar shop experience with the Odyssey Backstrike. Looked wierd, felt good, and struck the ball so pure that every eight footer went in.. soft feeling but the MOI factor was very obvious. Taking it back online was easy because the line is so well indicated on top of the head.. and the feel when struck in the middle was incomparable.

But I'm not dropping $200 on a putter at this juncture. Maybe when I can get a used one. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    WTF - where's the Nike unitized?
    I've got a bag full of cast off clubs at my folks' condo in Florida. My dad uses them when he's there and I play those clubs if I play golf when I visit.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    I had a similar shop experience with the Odyssey Backstrike. Looked wierd, felt good, and struck the ball so pure that every eight footer went in.. soft feeling but the MOI factor was very obvious. Taking it back online was easy because the line is so well indicated on top of the head.. and the feel when struck in the middle was incomparable.

But I'm not dropping $200 on a putter at this juncture. Maybe when I can get a used one. :-)
    The model was a flop. You should be able to ebay one for 50 bucks or a little bit more.
    For the record I am, and have been for a while now a mallet convert.
    Currently bagging a Yes Ashley. Very nice feeling putter.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    The model was a flop. You should be able to ebay one for 50 bucks or a little bit more.
    For the record I am, and have been for a while now a mallet convert.
    Currently bagging a Yes Ashley. Very nice feeling putter.
    I bought that putter off RBG for $29.95 after you recommended it but haven't really taken to it. I bought the Yes Tracy putter at about the same time and that has been the preferred option for me. Maybe I should give the Ashley another chance? One of the knocks on it from my point of view was the lack of feel? Seems to feel a bit dead and dull off the face to me.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I bought that putter off RBG for $29.95 after you recommended it but haven't really taken to it. I bought the Yes Tracy putter at about the same time and that has been the preferred option for me. Maybe I should give the Ashley another chance? One of the knocks on it from my point of view was the lack of feel? Seems to feel a bit dead and dull off the face to me.
    I like dull off the face. Played insert putters for a long time and got used to a soft feel off the face. I guess one mans meat is another mans poison.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I like dull off the face. Played insert putters for a long time and got used to a soft feel off the face. I guess one mans meat is another mans poison.
    It certainly is with putters. Putters are about as subjective to personal preference as men's ties or Lorenzo's Thanksgiving guests.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I don't like inserts either. I tried the Callaway White Hot series several years ago and hated it. It's ironic when they say that an insert gives you more feel because it actually softens the contact with the ball, giving you less feel. Have you ever tried one of those older Odyssey wedges they came out with about 15 years ago? You can barely feel the ball on the clubface. Not good.

I wouldn't call the feel of stainless steel dull though. To me it's more like an accurate feel and gives you plenty of feedback. I don't think anything feels better than a Scotty Cameron even though they are way overpriced.

The Futura is interesting. I don't know exactly how many versions there have been but on the course I've seen two. The first was the original Futura which looked something like a fugly can opener. It became the domain of game-less nerds. The other, the one you're looking at FD, became the domain of rich stylish guys with no game.

But that was back when they were fetching hundreds of dollars per putter. For $59 I'd give it a try, in the right hands it could be a good putter. Then I'd get on the cellphone during a round and pretend to complain to my pilot about the new leather seats still not having arrived.
    GR lives...

You are probably fortunate enough to play only hard and fast greens. Where I live and play, they can be hard and fast or slow as sin. So my mottos is, soft face for fast greens and hard fast for slow ones.

I wouldn't call the feel of stainless steel dull though. To me it's more like an accurate feel and gives you plenty of feedback. I don't think anything feels better than a Scotty Cameron even though they are way overpriced.
    When i hit my mates newport i was pretty much turned off scotty camerons cause it felt too harsh. After i hit the fastback i turned a shade of green! It feels great, looks great and for a mallet style is small. Would be worth trying FD, and a man of your powers will find one somewhere at a good price i'm sure
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

When i hit my mates newport i was pretty much turned off scotty camerons cause it felt too harsh. After i hit the fastback i turned a shade of green! It feels great, looks great and for a mallet style is small. Would be worth trying FD, and a man of your powers will find one somewhere at a good price i'm sure
    I like the look of the Fastback but it doesn't suit my eye at address. Plus, even a used model would go for a minimum of $175. I ended up purchasing the Futura Phantom today for $59. I was going to purchase a Scotty Cameron replacement putter grip but they cost $23. I don't think so.

Anyway, with my Phantom putter I can't imagine that anyone will be able to defeat me in a match. Soon people will refer to me as the Phantom.

"Hey guys, there goes the Phantom"

"Why do they call him the Phantom?"

"I don't know but he sure is cool"

[QUOTE=famousdavis;257684
    Anyway, with my Phantom putter I can't imagine that anyone will be able to defeat me in a match. Soon people will refer to me as the Phantom.

"I don't know but he sure is cool"[/QUOTE]

You could be right, with that look and size there will be no need for guns
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

You could be right, with that look and size there will be no need for guns
    I'll be the first to agree that it's an odd looking putter. However, like Lorenzo mentioned earlier, it's much better looking than the original all-silver model with three holes punched into the body of the club. This one looks sleeker and, while still a large mallet, doesn't look nearly as bulky as some of the other models out there. Plus, the feel of this putter is fantastic and provides great feedback. Easy to line up.

I'll be the first to agree that it's an odd looking putter. However, like Lorenzo mentioned earlier, it's much better looking than the original all-silver model with three holes punched into the body of the club. This one looks sleeker and, while still a large mallet, doesn't look nearly as bulky as some of the other models out there. Plus, the feel of this putter is fantastic and provides great feedback. Easy to line up.
    Must admit i would still be using my m5k mallet except i kept pushing everything right. After reading up on putters i thought i would try one with some offset (as the m5k has none) and sure enough it worked. As you said, first its got to suit your eye, then i reckon it has to suit your putting stroke. When you get used to sinking putts with it then most putters all of a sudden feel ok!!
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

I like the look of the Fastback but it doesn't suit my eye at address. Plus, even a used model would go for a minimum of $175. I ended up purchasing the Futura Phantom today for $59. I was going to purchase a Scotty Cameron replacement putter grip but they cost $23. I don't think so.

"I don't know but he sure is cool"
    It was hard enough to defeat you in a match BEFORE. :-(
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Thread Information