|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Winter

Winter

well the winter is upon us, and things have begun to slow slightly (only slightly though thanks to the temperature still being in the mid 60's most days here in North Carolina)... so just checking in on everyone, hows everybody doing, things of that nature...

also, when are we ever gonna get a group together and play again?

Speak for yourself PM

Today/tomorrow is the summer solstice down under, it's a beautiful day and I think it only fitting that I mark this occasion by getting a fourball together and going out and playing 18 holes after work tonight!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360 View Post
    well the winter is upon us, and things have begun to slow slightly (only slightly though thanks to the temperature still being in the mid 60's most days here in North Carolina)... so just checking in on everyone, hows everybody doing, things of that nature...

also, when are we ever gonna get a group together and play again?
    Here it is... SUCKS...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't know what's going on but so far we're having the coldest winter I can remember. This morning I had to wear slacks not shorts and an outer layer until almost 10am. It's almost not worth going outside. So don't think we get off scot free out here.
    GR lives...

At the delayed kickoff of last night's Monday Night Football game in Frisco, it was 5 degrees warmer outside my sliding glass door on the patio here in Baltimore. The Chesapeake Bay is still 46*. When I lived in San Diego, the warmest the Pacific ever got where I body-surfed in La Jolla was 72*.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    here in Baltimore.

Forget temperature. What amazed me when I visited Ballmor and Philly was the terrible light. I will never again visit the East if I can help it. Depressing as heck. The light in the West is walking with God.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    I don't know what's going on but so far we're having the coldest winter I can remember. This morning I had to wear slacks not shorts and an outer layer until almost 10am. It's almost not worth going outside. So don't think we get off scot free out here.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I'm on vacation.

I miss work.

FML.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Escaping Long Island for a couple of weeks and heading to the winter abode in West Palm. Plan on playing golf every other day and doing some long road bike rides on the others.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Weve had the coldest start to summer in 50 years, which means perfect conditions for golf. It feels like early spring.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Unusually, it is mild 37* F today. No snow on the ground and not likely to have any Christmas day...I love it.

Forget temperature. What amazed me when I visited Ballmor and Philly was the terrible light. I will never again visit the East if I can help it. Depressing as heck. The light in the West is walking with God.
    I lived in SoCal during the 60's and went to high school there. The best memories I have of winter were of the sunny 60* degree days, everything green from the rains, and snow on Mt Baldy about 20 minutes from my home. I love Michigan but the 6 month's of gray (from lake effect humidity mostly) is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    Unusually, it is mild 37* F today. No snow on the ground and not likely to have any Christmas day...I love it.

I lived in SoCal during the 60's and went to high school there. The best memories I have of winter were of the sunny 60* degree days, everything green from the rains, and snow on Mt Baldy about 20 minutes from my home. I love Michigan but the 6 month's of gray (from lake effect humidity mostly) is brutal.
    Im just down the road in Cincinnati....the gray-ness sucks for sure. Will be that way until mid March......weve been getting loads (buckets) of rain as well - so the courses will be just soaked until May.....sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    That ugly light is the primary cause of S.A.D.--seasonal affect disorder. I've found that taking supplements of vitamins A and D in fairly large doses makes the season much more tolerable.

That ugly light is the primary cause of S.A.D.--seasonal affect disorder. I've found that taking supplements of vitamins A and D in fairly large doses makes the season much more tolerable.
    The grey gloomy days in the UK used to make the winters long and depressing. I dunno maybe it's the lack of an ozone layer down under but we still seem to get bright sunny days even in the middle of winter although it's still freezing cold.

Now where the f#ck am I?

It's 60F today in Newark Delware...

... I would love to play but did not have time so I went out and hit a large bucket of balls... Great exercise though... Hit my Titless 905-R great but hit-and-miss with MX-23... will take them to see my friend at Dick's sporting goods tomorrow ... just to see if I need to adjust the lie angle

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    The grey gloomy days in the UK used to make the winters long and depressing. I dunno maybe it's the lack of an ozone layer down under but we still seem to get bright sunny days even in the middle of winter although it's still freezing cold.
    And, just exactly how cold is "freezing cold" down under?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I bet it's 45-50F .... but why? it's summer in Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    ... I would love to play but did not have time so I went out and hit a large bucket of balls... Great exercise though... Hit my Titless 905-R great but hit-and-miss with MX-23... will take them to see my friend at Dick's sporting goods tomorrow ... just to see if I need to adjust the lie angle
    I have MX 23's 4 through 7 and just got 5-PW MX 20's for Christmas (I cheated and messed with them before Sunday much to my wife's dismay). The MX 23's have more offset than any irons I've had in awhile but they are about 1/2" over factory spec and I've found myself pulling a lot of shots. I reshafted the PW and 9 iron of the MX 20's down to 1/2" +/- over factory specs and they are now nice and straight. Of course the factory specs for those irons are really short with the short irons-- 35.25" with the PW so 1/2" over is not extreme for my 6' and 33" +/- WTF. You have the graphite shafts if I recall and sometimes those came over length and if you shorten them a bit your consistency should improve. The 23's look like they come pretty flat from the factory.

Aukland's mean winter high temps are in the upper 50-s. I think that's Kiwi's area.
    GR lives...

Well to be honest it varies a lot and depends where you are talking about but where I live Pky is right. About 45-55F

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    I bet it's 45-50F .... but why? it's summer in Aussie
    When a man talks about it being freezing cold, he better not be talking about temps over 40 degrees . . . . . . . . that is plum balmy here in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Aukland's mean winter high temps are in the upper 50-s. I think that's Kiwi's area.
    That's where I'm from but I'm living in the Central North Island these days, a place called Taupo. A lot colder here than Auckland but still balmy by Oklahoma standards.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I have MX 23's 4 through 7 and just got 5-PW MX 20's for Christmas (I cheated and messed with them before Sunday much to my wife's dismay). The MX 23's have more offset than any irons I've had in awhile but they are about 1/2" over factory spec and I've found myself pulling a lot of shots. I reshafted the PW and 9 iron of the MX 20's down to 1/2" +/- over factory specs and they are now nice and straight. Of course the factory specs for those irons are really short with the short irons-- 35.25" with the PW so 1/2" over is not extreme for my 6' and 33" +/- WTF. You have the graphite shafts if I recall and sometimes those came over length and if you shorten them a bit your consistency should improve. The 23's look like they come pretty flat from the factory.
    Thanks Mongrel... I will check. Just called my friend at Dick's Sporting Goods (open at 7 AM today) to bring my MX-23 irons in for him to adjust to 2* upright... Had him tested with a board couple months ago, the board said OK, no lie angle adjustment needed, but all other clubs (BB2002, X-16, King Cobra II) were 2* upright and I am more comfortable with them

Hi all!

It's a balmy 82* and a bit humid here in Palm Beach. Just got off the Haig course (PGA National) and there was a bit of dew on the grass as we started, but it warmed up nicely.
    Can't wait for the Honda classic to come - NOT - as the neighborhood will be a zoo. Look for me on TV, I'm gonna be a shusher...."Shhhh, quiet please, player putting."
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    Hi all!

It's a balmy 82* and a bit humid here in Palm Beach. Just got off the Haig course (PGA National) and there was a bit of dew on the grass as we started, but it warmed up nicely.
    Can't wait for the Honda classic to come - NOT - as the neighborhood will be a zoo. Look for me on TV, I'm gonna be a shusher...."Shhhh, quiet please, player putting."
    I know those courses pretty well, been to both a number of times. Some nice gators there. One of my favorite hole in the wall seafood restaurants is downtown. Can't remember the name. Nothing fancy just great.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    Hi all!

That course is a beauty. Never played it but flew over it during the first round of the Honda approaching West Palm International two springs ago on the way to North Hutchinson Island. Enjoy your weather and Merry Christmas.

That course is a beauty. Never played it but flew over it during the first round of the Honda approaching West Palm International two springs ago on the way to North Hutchinson Island. Enjoy your weather and Merry Christmas.
    That's the place I played my first round at 3 yrs ago. Stayed at the Marriott on the beach. The Marriott executive course, I played it 3X that week and fell in love with playing golf. Also discovered the Dolphin and Clam bar nearby, going back later in the week for dinner after a round at the Florida Club. Only 40mins from here.

PGA has 4 courses on property and another one about 3 miles west. But I've been cheaping out and playing local muni's for $40

Happy holidays to all!!!!!

Thread Information