|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Removing paint off driver heads

Just wondering who has knowledge or suggestions about removing the paint off of a driver head- and re-painting it?

TIGER WILL WIN TODAY!!!!!!

Using steel wool will remove the clear finish. Then you're left with the gray (or whatever color) the driver has underneath. It leaves for an interesting look but takes a few minutes of steel-wool-action.

I played with a guy the other day who said that he had sanded off the painted finish

I was thinking of doing it to my v-steel 3 wood just use some wet and dry sandpaper it does the job.

I work at a dealership so I have had the bodyshop prep and repaint mine before and comes out looking good. Swing by a bodyshop one day see how much they would repaint it for you. Most guys will do it on the side for a few bucks. There is a huge difference between quality baked on paint and a can of spray paint. Won't chip near as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobwedge
    I work at a dealership so I have had the bodyshop prep and repaint mine before and comes out looking good. Swing by a bodyshop one day see how much they would repaint it for you. Most guys will do it on the side for a few bucks. There is a huge difference between quality baked on paint and a can of spray paint. Won't chip near as bad.
    Agreed. You can do it yourself with paint-stripper and a can of spray-paint but it won't come up like the powder-coated finish it came with (though apparently auto-paint will give a better result than standard spray-paint).

If you want to try it yourself I recommend going with the understated look ie. just a light coat of clear gloss over the raw metal or maybe a metallic grey on the crown to reduce glare. Any attempt to get fancy will end up looking like something your kid brought home from art-class.

Quote Originally Posted by ozob91
    Just wondering who has knowledge or suggestions about removing the paint off of a driver head- and re-painting it?

TIGER WILL WIN TODAY!!!!!!
    nope

and

nope

Small project

Quote Originally Posted by swanny241069
    Agreed. You can do it yourself with paint-stripper and a can of spray-paint but it won't come up like the powder-coated finish it came with (though apparently auto-paint will give a better result than standard spray-paint).

If you want to try it yourself I recommend going with the understated look ie. just a light coat of clear gloss over the raw metal or maybe a metallic grey on the crown to reduce glare. Any attempt to get fancy will end up looking like something your kid brought home from art-class.
    I didn't want to take the head off the shaft which I assume would be necessary for powder painting.
    My home repaint process: I carefully taped off and covered the shaft with newspaper and sprayed on paint remover, The paint came off super easy. The head (Nickent 425cc) without paint is beautiful. Tempting to leave it as it was (brushed metal surface), but I taped off the parts that are not to be painted (face, top of "hosel," and bottom) then sprayed on primer and finished with metal flaked rasberry and clear coat. It looks super. Unfortunately, the paint is probably not as hard as you'd like and I'll probably sky a few more this year and have to touch up, However, very importantly, the can is handy.
    I love the driver, but I've had it for 5-6 years I guess. Its like a Timex and keeps on ticking, and in my group, I still am numero uno on distance. Still, I think technology has probably caught up and passed this, so, this nice paint job will do fine the two more years I use it.
    BTW, the face is also a beautiful metal brushed surface. Over the years the face had accumulated a lot of scratches (I'm guessing sand on the ball makes the marks?). I used a 400 grit wet sandpaper and elbow grease to remove 90% of the scratches. The face looks great.
    As you can tell, I'm not big into spending a lot of $ on sticks. I buy the $2-3 grips and replace them at least once a year.

WOW.... HEY BOB this GEM is almost 4 years old so dont be upset if you dont get any responses from the original posters....

Omen... you may notice a little date right above the avatars...... hmmmmmm
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

daveperk Guest
    So, no lowrider-style customizing options? Flame job? blinking LEDs around the trailing edge? An airbrushed portrait of the girlfriend on the crown of the clubhead?

Seems to me like a guy who's good with paint and bodywork could make some money on the side here... :-))

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    So, no lowrider-style customizing options? Flame job? blinking LEDs around the trailing edge? An airbrushed portrait of the girlfriend on the crown of the clubhead?

Seems to me like a guy who's good with paint and bodywork could make some money on the side here... :-))
    I can see X-ibit now. "Your drivers been pimped, daddy!"

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer
    I can see X-ibit now. "Your drivers been pimped, daddy!"
    Tonight at 9 on the Golf Channel, "Pimp my Sticks!"...

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    WOW.... HEY BOB this GEM is almost 4 years old so dont be upset if you dont get any responses from the original posters....

Omen... you may notice a little date right above the avatars...... hmmmmmm

LOL. Good tip.

Thread Information