|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The last Hagan clubs I hit were Haig Ultras, a mighty fine set of blades. However, these got me curious and I found out that they may have been made by Nicklaus and sold as a house brand by Dick's who reportedly blew out the remaining inventory within the past 10 years for around $200 per set. For that money and for that type of club, I'd probably go for MX 23's, 20's, 695 CB's.

I should have Googled it first - a good explication at W, er, I mean that other golf blog. Some raves, actually. 25 yrs. ago I had a yen for some Haig Ultras, which I used to drool over in the '70's. So I go into a used club store in S.F. called the Dogleg, which was run by a Fred Sanford-type character. Watching me inspect a set of '69's, he yelled out, "you can't hit 'em." So I talked him into letting me take the 6-iron with me for testing. I sneak onto the Olympic Club and hit about 20 shots and, guess what, he was right. It was the club's fault, it felt like a E-2 and all I could do was hit heel shots.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    I should have Googled it first - a good explication at W, er, I mean that other golf blog. Some raves, actually. 25 yrs. ago I had a yen for some Haig Ultras, which I used to drool over in the '70's. So I go into a used club store in S.F. called the Dogleg, which was run by a Fred Sanford-type character. Watching me inspect a set of '69's, he yelled out, "you can't hit 'em." So I talked him into letting me take the 6-iron with me for testing. I sneak onto the Olympic Club and hit about 20 shots and, guess what, he was right. It was the club's fault, it felt like a E-2 and all I could do was hit heel shots.
    Well, the sweet spot was just about a half inch west of the hosel and about 3 grooves up from the sole and 2.75 grooves wide.

Thread Information