|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Hyper x driver

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

Hyper x driver

Well I'm getting the itch again. I was cruising fuji fit on e on the bay, and quite a few hyper x drivers were available with it standard. There's one eBay user with a 8.5 deg hyper x driver with a fujikura fit on e 360 in stiff who claims it's to much shaft for him. Used 2 rounds.
    I'm actually looking at a 10.5 in stiff, I believe golf magazine in 08 rated this club #1 in distance in a players club. I seem to be able to keep this shaft from ballooning. Never owned a Callaway driver though.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I've hit that driver and the 3 wood in the Golf Galaxie simulators a couple of times. I was mightily tempted to walk out with the 3 wood since it felt real good--forget what shafts. The only thing that spooked me was the hosel bore of .350" since all the graphite shafts I have in my inventory are .335" tips. However, I am in the midst of an experiment putting that skinny tipped shaft into a Taylor Rescue Mid 16* head used homemade shims and really strong black epoxy. That hosel is .370" and if it works, I may snatch up a Hyper X or two. They should be real cheap so if the experiment doesn't work, not much harm and nothing really foul except for the idea of bagging a Cally.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I've hit that driver and the 3 wood in the Golf Galaxie simulators a couple of times. I was mightily tempted to walk out with the 3 wood since it felt real good--forget what shafts. The only thing that spooked me was the hosel bore of .350" since all the graphite shafts I have in my inventory are .335" tips. However, I am in the midst of an experiment putting that skinny tipped shaft into a Taylor Rescue Mid 16* head used homemade shims and really strong black epoxy. That hosel is .370" and if it works, I may snatch up a Hyper X or two. They should be real cheap so if the experiment doesn't work, not much harm and nothing really foul except for the idea of bagging a Cally.
    I'm kind of the opposite of you, in that I have probably 10 different shafts in the .350 flavor.
    I'm pretty confident with the fuji fit on in x or stiff. I would like to try that shaft in a 905r, but it's a rare bird.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    I'm kind of the opposite of you, in that I have probably 10 different shafts in the .350 flavor.
    I'm pretty confident with the fuji fit on in x or stiff. I would like to try that shaft in a 905r, but it's a rare bird.
    There's an Ebay store called Pawpaw's Collectibles in Kentucky that sells bunches of pulled shafts and heads and I've seen some of those Fit On 360's from time to time. Typically they've been butt-trimmed and if I were going to install one of those in a 905R, I would probably do a partial insertion using a cut off tip of another shaft to extend to the sole or, what I'm trying with three Tit borethroughs right now, filling the rest of the hosel to the sole with black slow cure epoxy that dries to a nice glossy finish. There is another internet store called something like "Spargo's Shaft Pulls" that has hundreds of pulled shafts. I like the Pawpaw setup because they take and post frequency readings for each pulled shaft, spine-align each shaft and include a couple of ferrules with each one.

10.5 sounds like the tour version. Standard versikn would be 10.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

There's an Ebay store called Pawpaw's Collectibles in Kentucky that sells bunches of pulled shafts and heads and I've seen some of those Fit On 360's from time to time. Typically they've been butt-trimmed and if I were going to install one of those in a 905R, I would probably do a partial insertion using a cut off tip of another shaft to extend to the sole or, what I'm trying with three Tit borethroughs right now, filling the rest of the hosel to the sole with black slow cure epoxy that dries to a nice glossy finish. There is another internet store called something like "Spargo's Shaft Pulls" that has hundreds of pulled shafts. I like the Pawpaw setup because they take and post frequency readings for each pulled shaft, spine-align each shaft and include a couple of ferrules with each one.
    Makes good sense, if your used to a shaft playing at a certain bore depth. I never understood why the borethrough hosel was so common with Titleist. I suppose it's old school.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    10.5 sounds like the tour version. Standard versikn would be 10.
    The tour is the one I'm looking at. I suppose it's not a closed face.
    There's one for 50 delivered. In the states anyways. It looks new. Why your wife probably wouldn't b!tch about that.

Makes good sense, if your used to a shaft playing at a certain bore depth. I never understood why the borethrough hosel was so common with Titleist. I suppose it's old school.
    I think the Tit engineers who developed it would probably argue that the bore-thru provides the most solid hit geometry. I think the 975D may have been the first driver with it and that club was a real beast at the time. The problem that people have had with these Tit heads from 975D to 907D2 is that their favorite after market shafts will play a bunch stiffer in the borethru head when fully inserted to around 3.25" or so. So if your cherished $300 whatever has a two inch parallel tip section and you have your guy install it all the way through, your pet shaft's stiff flex with play like an x or xx.

Every time I go to buy a .357 I end up with a .44. Bigger is better.
    GR lives...

[QUOTE=12sandwich;261793]Well I'm getting the itch again. I was cruising fuji fit on e on the bay, and quite a few hyper x drivers were available with it standard. There's one eBay user who calls himself pissed off with a 8.5 deg hyper x driver with a fujikura fit on e 360 in stiff who claims it's to much shaft for him. Used 2 rounds.
    I'm actually looking at a 10.5 in stiff, I believe golf magazine in 08 rated this club #1 in distance in a players club. I seem to be able to keep this shaft from ballooning. Never owned a Callaway driver though.[/QU

The only thing I don't like about the Hyper X is the sound it makes. It's pretty loud.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 01-25-2012 at 08:39 AM.

[QUOTE=famousdavis;261811]
    Well I'm getting the itch again. I was cruising fuji fit on e on the bay, and quite a few hyper x drivers were available with it standard. There's one eBay user who calls himself pissed off with a 8.5 deg hyper x driver with a fujikura fit on e 360 in stiff who claims it's to much shaft for him. Used 2 rounds.
    I'm actually looking at a 10.5 in stiff, I believe golf magazine in 08 rated this club #1 in distance in a players club. I seem to be able to keep this shaft from ballooning. Never owned a Callaway driver though.[/QU

The only thing I don't like about the Hyper X is the sound it makes. It's pretty loud.
    Some jack off edited my original post. I guess it is you with the similar eBay user name. We both could be a little more original when choosing are handles. Nice looking club though. You should be in the thousands though, as you ho ho alot.

[QUOTE=12sandwich;261821]
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post

Some jack off edited my original post. I guess it is you with the similar eBay user name. We both could be a little more original when choosing are handles. Nice looking club though. You should be in the thousands though, as you ho ho alot.
    12Sandwich, think about it. I'll give you a few minutes. If you don't understand why you don't post user names on this particular forum then I have to question your intelligence.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 01-25-2012 at 09:31 AM.

[QUOTE=famousdavis;261811]
    Well I'm getting the itch again. I was cruising fuji fit on e on the bay, and quite a few hyper x drivers were available with it standard. There's one eBay user who calls himself pissed off with a 8.5 deg hyper x driver with a fujikura fit on e 360 in stiff who claims it's to much shaft for him. Used 2 rounds.

Thats what turned me off w/ that club. The sound. Good lord it was unbearable IMO.

[QUOTE=Lord Helmet;261823]
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post

Thats what turned me off w/ that club. The sound. Good lord it was unbearable IMO.
    Neither the golf ball nor the scorecard have ears.

[QUOTE=mongrel;261824]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post

Neither the golf ball nor the scorecard have ears.
    No, but I do, my playing partners do, the entire golf course does (presumably) and the surrounding tri-state area does. I was being respectful of them.

[QUOTE=famousdavis;261822]

12Sandwich, think about it. I'll give you a few minutes. If you don't understand why you don't post user names on this particular forum then I have to question your intelligence.
    I would think if someone was that hatefull on even this forum, they would be banned. eBay is not very tolerant of anything other then making a sale. I personally would think most everyone worth a sh!t on this forum doesn't want to blemish there eBay accounts either.
    Excuse my ignorance though.

The only complaint I have with the nickent 4dx is the noise. So I don't think a hyper x is for me I can delete this whole thread if you want? Sorry

The only complaint I have with the nickent 4dx is the noise. So I don't think a hyper x is for me I can delete this whole thread if you want? Sorry
    The hyper X is one of the loudest drivers I have ever hit or heard. That alone completely turned me off from it....never got past that. I recall moving waaaaay down the range from a fellow who was hitting it....lol

You should try a titleist 909d3! its the bomb!

There's an Ebay store called Pawpaw's Collectibles in Kentucky that sells bunches of pulled shafts and heads

Since you mentioned him, PawPaw has removed all golf-related merchandise from his Ebay store. This is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Since you mentioned him, PawPaw has removed all golf-related merchandise from his Ebay store. This is weird.
    I just checked their Ebay store and they currently have 85 items including shafts, heads, and other fitting paraphenalia.

Go onto Ebay in the Sporting Goods section and search these exact words: Brand Name xl 270. There are two heads offered by Pawpaws and click on "See seller's other items" and that will take you to their golf store. I haven't bought anything from them yet but may experiment with a high lofted driver head and they sell plenty of heads And shafts.

Ridiculously Priced Clubs

I saw these on Craigslist. It may be the most overpriced set I've seen to date. The price for a used set should fetch around $150. The woods are worth nothing. I can't believe he's asking $900.

You may need firefox to view:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x callaway ad.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	2803  

I've bought several items from paw paw over the years. Great sellers. I'm going to look for a 905r head, and install a shaft per your specs, or a partial insertion, I'm going to measure how far it's in my 4dx, and use that for a baseline. Thanks

I've bought several items from paw paw over the years. Great sellers. I'm going to look for a 905r head, and install a shaft per your specs, or a partial insertion, I'm going to measure how far it's in my 4dx, and use that for a baseline. Thanks
    I am looking for a 10.5* 905R head so if one appears, we may be competing. I already have a 9.5 and an 11.5. Never hit an 8.5 but am curious to. I've been tracking 905R and other Tit heads for quite awhile on Ebay and on more than a few occasions, I've found relatively mint used clubs in Golf Galaxy cheaper that just the heads would go for on Ebay. For some reason, the local Golf Galaxy has had about 10 905R's in the used bin in the past couple of months. Every one under $50. And all of the motherf*ckers left-handed!

I find it fun to experiment with partial insertions with my driver heads. So far I've done it with my 907D2, my two 905R's, one of my two 905T's and the 983K. Some shafts really like it and some feel like crap. If you have the rudimentary equipment and do your own re-shafting, the minimum insertion in all the above-mentioned heads is 1.5". I find that 2" feels real solid and, if you insert an un-tipped shaft, it will feel more lively than a full insertion. If you have a shaft tipped a bit, you might want to take some measurements and compare a standard or blind bore head you're familiar with the shaft in and try to replicate it with the partial insertion in the borethrough.

Thread Information