|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Saturday Morning in Del Mar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZhP-...ature=youtu.be

Hit a few on the range and then a few more against a rebound wall, then to the club for a little stretching and strength stuff. Playing tomorrow.

Y'all have fun!

Larry

Alan's right. You really are a narcissist.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Hey, come on in! The price is right for you to join the narcissist team on an anonymous golf discussion forum. You may be especially motivated if you have been mercilessly trashed for being an old man who can't swing, for being a worse player than an idiot with a backfoot "all arms" swing. Hope you'll forgive my need to show that I am not dead yet!

Larry (age 70)

Sh!te. I thought he was talking about Delmar, Maryland.

I was pretty impressed with impact sound, Larry. Call me a contrarian, but... I might have just become a Larry fan.. He might be sneaky good. :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    I was pretty impressed with impact sound, Larry. Call me a contrarian, but... I might have just become a Larry fan.. He might be sneaky good. :-)
    I agree, swing looking pretty good Larry. Not sure about the tennis against the rebound wall though?

This is golfreview. Take that clip to: www.tennisreview.com
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Larry, I preferred my Saturday morning in San Francisco. What the hell is Del Mar? If I was offered $10,000,000 to live in Del Mar of course I would decline...

Del Mar is for retards that do not have the wherewithal/confidence to live in San Francisco.

Enjoy your retarded Del Mar; I went for a bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito today @sshole; that's my Saturday in San Francisco with some allowed chipping for free, nonetheless, at Harding Park.

Suck on that d!ckhead.

spank
    Last edited by spanqdoggie; 01-08-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: retard
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Sh!te. I thought he was talking about Delmar, Maryland.
    I've been in both places and I'm here to tell you that the one in California wins HANDS DOWN over the one in Maryland. Now if only the one out west would be as populated as the one back east, I would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post

Hit a few on the range and then a few more against a rebound wall, then to the club for a little stretching and strength stuff. Playing tomorrow.

Y'all have fun!

Larry
    That swing looks pretty good if a touch steep and should get you to your target pretty straight and reliably. Now when you showed your tennis drill, it brought back memories of a golf exercise I used to do to prevent pulling the ball. You go to that tennis court with the concrete wall, take a mat, and hit that 6 iron, 3 wood, and finally driver at the wall from about 25 feet away. If you don't yank any of your shots, you will be safe on the rebound.

Evidence that a steep back swing will not make the hands and club drop naturally.....
    Golf

Anyone who would prefer San Francisco to Del Mar is a golf-plated maroon, and I'm an SF native.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)

Y'all have fun!
    And what have we learned?

After claiming for years that it was the weight shift that matter, you've actually now shown a swing where you didn't transfer your weight at all. You set up with your weight on your right foot and never move your hips backward more than maybe an inch.

Oh, and the shot from behind started right of your alignment and was thus not hitting from the inside.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Anyone who would prefer San Francisco to Del Mar is a golf-plated maroon, and I'm an SF native.
    Really? One of my closest friends lives there. Almost as foggy as SF, a couple of beaches, a small coastal park, a microscopic downtown, no good restaurants outside L'Auberge, ratty real estate and some nice scenes. I can probably think of 100 places in California I'd rather live, San Francisco being one of them.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Really? One of my closest friends lives there. Almost as foggy as SF, a couple of beaches, a small coastal park, a microscopic downtown, no good restaurants outside L'Auberge, ratty real estate and some nice scenes. I can probably think of 100 places in California I'd rather live, San Francisco being one of them.
    if there price were right, all if not most would want to live in CA... SF is windy and still cold for me, I prefer 10-15 miles north of San Diego... or Newport beach, south of little Saigon

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    if there price were right, all if not most would want to live in CA... SF is windy and still cold for me, I prefer 10-15 miles north of San Diego... or Newport beach, south of little Saigon
    SF is phenomenal and I don't mind the cold but see your point. North of Del Mar, now you're talking. But Laguna where I am is my favorite.
    GR lives...

Really?

When I have more time I'll do a post on the decline of S.F., but in short, it's not 1985 anymore.

SF is phenomenal and I don't mind the cold but see your point. North of Del Mar, now you're talking. But Laguna where I am is my favorite.
    I have a few friends who live in Laguna. I like that area as well, I also like Santa Barbara and St.Louis Obispo... Too expensive for my wallet. That's why I plan to move to Chandler just outside of Phoenix for retirement... Chandler has lots of great VNmese restaurants, those moving from CA

Del Mar by morning
    up from San Antone
    Every Ping that I've got
    Is just what I brought along

I ain't got a tee time
    but what I got is mine
    I ain't rich
    but man I'm free

Del Mar by morning
    Del Mar...is where I'll be

I lost my Ping Pal in Houston
    Broke my Zing in Santa Fe
    Lost my stroke and a girlfriend
    somewhere along the way

I ain't gotta dime
    but my Pings are mine
    Man, I ain't rich
    But man I'm free

Del Mar by morning
    Del Mar with Pings is where I'll be

I have a few friends who live in Laguna. I like that area as well, I also like Santa Barbara and St.Louis Obispo... Too expensive for my wallet. That's why I plan to move to Chandler just outside of Phoenix for retirement... Chandler has lots of great VNmese restaurants, those moving from CA
    Best Pho I've ever had was near Chandler.
    GR lives...

I'm planning to be in your part of the world (well close) most likely in April. My family got me a 3-day racing course at the Skip Barber racing school at Lagua Seca and then my GF and I are going to do a little driving vacation home afterwards.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    I'm planning to be in your part of the world (well close) most likely in April. My family got me a 3-day racing course at the Skip Barber racing school at Lagua Seca and then my GF and I are going to do a little driving vacation home afterwards.
    I'm in Laguna Beach. Laguna Seca's near Monterey around 300 miles north of me. Sounds like fun though.
    GR lives...

Hey, come on in! The price is right for you to join the narcissist team on an anonymous golf discussion forum. You may be especially motivated if you have been mercilessly trashed for being an old man who can't swing, for being a worse player than an idiot with a backfoot "all arms" swing. Hope you'll forgive my need to show that I am not dead yet!

Larry (age 70)
    But what makes you think anyone wants to see a decrepid old feeb trying to hit a tennis ball off a concrete wall?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Does your mother know you are sharing her basement with a woman?

I'm in Laguna Beach. Laguna Seca's near Monterey around 300 miles north of me. Sounds like fun though.
    There are entirely too many "Lagunas" in CA....

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Best Pho I've ever had was near Chandler.
    Pho is a traditional VNmese noodle. It's either "better than OK" or excellent. The trick is to find excellent Pho. However, those "better than OK" pho restaurants can't survive, especially in a large VNmese community like little Saigon CA, Chandler AZ, Bellaire Houston TX, Eden Center Washington DC... I am pretty sure NAH would be able to find good pho in Sidney Aussie since there is a large VNmese population there... I would take pho over hamburger any day..(unless it's a five-guys hamburger once in a while)... I am phasing out Chinese restaurants because they are too greasy for my stomach

Pho is a traditional VNmese noodle. It's either "better than OK" or excellent. The trick is to find excellent Pho. However, those "better than OK" pho restaurants can't survive, especially in a large VNmese community like little Saigon CA, Chandler AZ, Bellaire Houston TX, Eden Center Washington DC... I am pretty sure NAH would be able to find good pho in Sidney Aussie since there is a large VNmese population there... I would take pho over hamburger any day..(unless it's a five-guys hamburger once in a while)... I am phasing out Chinese restaurants because they are too greasy for my stomach
    ... as well as bland and tasteless.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    ... as well as bland and tasteless.
    Once you figure out the good Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese places around here Chinese doesn't make alot of sense. My gf confirms this although she says the good stuff is back in China, the stuff here is actually some sort of Sino-UK concoction that spreads through infection.
    GR lives...

Once you figure out the good Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese places around here Chinese doesn't make alot of sense. My gf confirms this although she says the good stuff is back in China, the stuff here is actually some sort of Sino-UK concoction that spreads through infection.
    Haven't eaten a lot of Vietnamese TBH but I eat a lot of Thai and Japanese food and love it.

Even when I have traveled to China and in places like Malaysia where there is a strong Chinese influence I found the food bland compared to neighboring Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia. I'm sure there are good dishes too but you need to know what you are ordering whereas with Thai you almost can't go wrong. Thailand is like the Italy of SE Asia. Even the most basic dish from a street side stall is fantastic!

In China some meals were little more than starch and soy sauce.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Haven't eaten a lot of Vietnamese TBH but I eat a lot of Thai and Japanese food and love it.

Even when I have traveled to China and in places like Malaysia where there is a strong Chinese influence I found the food bland compared to neighboring Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia. I'm sure there are good dishes too but you need to know what you are ordering whereas with Thai you almost can't go wrong. Thailand is like the Italy of SE Asia. Even the most basic dish from a street side stall is fantastic!

In China some meals were little more than starch and soy sauce.
    The Chinese once had command of things that gratify the senses. It's been in decline for generations but prosperity may create a revival. IMO it already has to some degree with the women.

Before you give the Asian food mantle to the Thais, you have to experience really good, authentic Vietnamese. Little Saigon here is amazing. Wikipedia has a list of the population centers. I'd guess that's mostly where you'd find the cuisine.

Vietnamese food, like Thai is labor intensive with long preparation times, sometimes like with Pho, over a day. So it's a first generation phenomenon. The second generation won't be interested in doing it. That means every year there's a little less of it in the West. With Thai there's more likely to be an immigrant flow keeping the authentic stuff going.
    GR lives...

The Chinese once had command of things that gratify the senses. It's been in decline for generations but prosperity may create a revival. IMO it already has to some degree with the women.

Before you give the Asian food mantle to the Thais, you have to experience really good, authentic Vietnamese. Little Saigon here is amazing. Wikipedia has a list of the population centers. I'd guess that's mostly where you'd find the cuisine.

Vietnamese food, like Thai is labor intensive with long preparation times, sometimes like with Pho, over a day. So it's a first generation phenomenon. The second generation won't be interested in doing it. That means every year there's a little less of it in the West. With Thai there's more likely to be an immigrant flow keeping the authentic stuff going.
    The most authentic Chinese food you can get is from Panda Express or Pick up Stix. I feel like I'm in the Orient when eating there.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The most authentic Chinese food you can get is from Panda Express or Pick up Stix. I feel like I'm in the Orient when eating there.
    I agree. I have been in Mexico and eaten their food and think the most authentic Mexican food to be had in the States is procured at Taco Bell. I have been in Italy in different parts and all and eaten their foods and think the most authentic Italian food here in the States is found at Olive Garden. I have been in both England and Germany in the different parts and all and have eaten their food there and think the most authentic English and German foods may be found in the fooking dumpster.

I see your taste in food is similar to your taste in irons i.e. hideous.

Sooner, would you please insert your throwing up smilie?

Now where the f#ck am I?

I see your taste in food is similar to your taste in irons i.e. hideous.

That's the Ping Eye 2 Square groove Lob Wedge. It has the non-conforming "radius edge" square grooves. You can tell by the raised lettering in the cavity. Many people don't realize this but the first Ping Eye 2 model was non-square grooved. It reads "patent Pending" in the cavity and the head is a little different looking. After that, the square groove model came out with the raised lettering. After that, the lettering was indented in the cavity and that's the most common model out there. Also, a little know tidbit is that Ping also introduced a lightweight Eye 2 model when lightweight irons were all the craze in 1984. It had the same head size as the BeCu eye 2 irons (which were a little smaller because copper is heavier).

There you go. Thanks for the photo! Yummy food too!

Then this might blow your mind. While in Placentia over the weekend shopping for rocks, being short on time, I parked at a strip center in front of Chipotle for a burrito bowl with a side of guacamole (that's not the mind-blowing part).

As I was about to enter I passed a store with a sign that said "Pick Up Stix Express" and below that one that said: "This is the first Pick Up Stix Express of many that will be opening soon." It's like Panda Express except it isn't. Noone was in there while Chipotle had a line out the door. Although it was Placentia.
    GR lives...

Then this might blow your mind. While in Placentia over the weekend shopping for rocks, being short on time, I parked at a strip center in front of Chipotle for a burrito bowl with a side of guacamole (that's not the mind-blowing part).

As I was about to enter I passed a store with a sign that said "Pick Up Stix Express" and below that one that said: "This is the first Pick Up Stix Express of many that will be opening soon." It's like Panda Express except it isn't. Noone was in there while Chipotle had a line out the door. Although it was Placentia.
    Man, I love Chipotle. I love their burrito bowls, tacos and burritos. I like to dip the chips and scoop up some beans, rice, sour cream, etc. Great, now I'm starving.

LOL...Pick up Stix express. I have to admit it's not a bad idea since it takes forever to get your expensive food at Pick up Stix.

Obviously I was kidding. I hate Panda. I met with the owner once. He think much of self. His name is Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I agree. I have been in Mexico and eaten their food and think the most authentic Mexican food to be had in the States is procured at Taco Bell. I have been in Italy in different parts and all and eaten their foods and think the most authentic Italian food here in the States is found at Olive Garden. I have been in both England and Germany in the different parts and all and have eaten their food there and think the most authentic English and German foods may be found in the fooking dumpster.
    This is beyond insulting and ridiculous!!!!

What dumpster were you eating out of????

Olive Garden????

Geez, you may be old but you're not dead. The lines at the Olive Garden around here look like people buying headstones.
    GR lives...

This is beyond insulting and ridiculous!!!!

What dumpster were you eating out of????

Olive Garden????

Geez, you may be old but you're not dead. The lines at the Olive Garden around here look like people buying headstones.

This is a true story. Back in 1994 I was eating at Olive Garden and my meal was Fettucini Alfredo. I had finished half of my meal and then I discovered a dead baby roach under some noodles. It was about an inch long. Since then I can't eat there.

Macaroni Grill is better than Olive Garden. Bucca is decent but none of them can compare to one of those small, hole in the wall Italian restaurants you can find out there. One of my favorites was in Chico, CA but I forgot the name. They have a good one in Poway.

Man, I love Chipotle. I love their burrito bowls, tacos and burritos. I like to dip the chips and scoop up some beans, rice, sour cream, etc. Great, now I'm starving.

LOL...Pick up Stix express. I have to admit it's not a bad idea since it takes forever to get your expensive food at Pick up Stix.

Obviously I was kidding. I hate Panda. I met with the owner once. He think much of self. His name is Andrew.
    I have to give Andrew credit from a business standpoint as PE has taken over the Chinese food industry. Americans love their brands, as do the Chinese.

Chipotle is so simple yet it's really good and fairly healthy. All organic chickens now, they recently started offering brown rice and the meats are marinated and cooked to perfection. The corn salsa with jalapenos is so good and it's really fast.

I seldom actually feel like I have a full stomach. I'm like a dog, I could just keep eating until I exploded. The exception is with a Chipotle burrito. One of those and I'm done for a while.

I discovered Chipotle while in Denver on business maybe 10 years ago. I waited until they slowly penetrated Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, NorCal and finally Southern California.

I have a Chipotle app for my phone with my credit card, standard order and a closest to outlet function. I press a few buttons, drive in, walk past the line and just pick up my order.

I'm very concerned that I've found some common ground with you on food.
    GR lives...

This is a true story. Back in 1994 I was eating at Olive Garden and my meal was Fettucini Alfredo. I had finished half of my meal and then I discovered a dead baby roach under some noodles. It was about an inch long. Since then I can't eat there.

Macaroni Grill is better than Olive Garden. Bucca is decent but none of them can compare to one of those small, hole in the wall Italian restaurants you can find out there. One of my favorites was in Chico, CA but I forgot the name. They have a good one in Poway.
    If there isn't an italian family with either Mama or her top italian cooking school son at the controls using ingredients imported from Italy, it isn't Italian food.

But there are some ok Italian inspired American restaurants up in San Francisco. Haven't seen a one down here. Which one in Poway? I have to take a buddy and his family to dinner there soon and can't think of anything good in the area. Was going to go to Cafe Pacifica in Old Town. Dobsons is a little far. They really don't know food, if you like a place it's conceivable they would.
    GR lives...

That swing looks pretty good if a touch steep and should get you to your target pretty straight and reliably. Now when you showed your tennis drill, it brought back memories of a golf exercise I used to do to prevent pulling the ball. You go to that tennis court with the concrete wall, take a mat, and hit that 6 iron, 3 wood, and finally driver at the wall from about 25 feet away. If you don't yank any of your shots, you will be safe on the rebound.
    Hey, show us that one! If you are still conscious, make the video clip a Youtube and send it out, ha.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    But what makes you think anyone wants to see a decrepid old feeb trying to hit a tennis ball off a concrete wall?
    Lets see you do it! The ability to keep a ball going with either or both backhand and forehand is NOT easy--and far, far, from beginner tennis. It requires a solid stroke and accurate placement to repeatedly hit the wall at the place where the rebound will set you up for another stroke.

Billy Jean King wrote that as a girl she wanted to play tennis with the better players in her city park-- and was refused because she wasn't good enough. So she just hit balls against the rebound wall there for days and weeks as necesary. One day she was not only good enough, but BETTER than most of the players there.

I can remember giving myself a HARD workout in half an hour of hitting against a rebound wall--especially while traveling on business, overnight or longer in a strange city.

When good players see someone who can really make it go, they often invite him to play. (except in Hilo, where strangers from the mainland are not welcome!)

Larry

Hey, show us that one! If you are still conscious, make the video clip a Youtube and send it out, ha.

Larry
    Twenty years ago I worked for a commercial auctioneering and liquidation company. We sold lots of retail, office and industrial properties and frequently sold off the equipment inside piece-by-piece. And so after one extremely tedious warehouse sale, a colleague and are were getting bored standing around after almost all the industrial equipment had been removed by the purchasers, and I got a golf idea. Went out to my car and got a one iron and some golf balls and showed my friend how you play "Industrial golf." This was an old multiple story industrial building from the early 20th century with brick exterior and interior bearing walls and lots of smaller rooms on the ground floor. I found a piece of cardboard and stuck a short tee in it and hit 1 irons at the far brick wall. Then he tried it and we were hooked. The winner was the one who could bounce the ball off the most walls before it hit the ground. Later on he went out to his car and got his driver and some higher tees. That's where the rubber meets the road, allright. Eh?

They must have seen you coming. I bet the cook was a keen golfer who had contributed to GR review section.
    Just a tip if you don't want ths sort of thing happening again. When you arrive at a venue don't loudly say "table for four for Famous Davis".
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    They must have seen you coming. I bet the cook was a keen golfer who had contributed to GR review section.
    Just a tip if you don't want ths sort of thing happening again. When you arrive at a venue don't loudly say "table for four for Famous Davis".
    FD has it wrong on this one. If he was eating at Olive Garden the dead cockroach would have been the best part.

This is one of many reasons I like to prepare my own food. In all my years of cooking I've never served myself a cockroach.
    GR lives...

Lets see you do it! The ability to keep a ball going with either or both backhand and forehand is NOT easy--and far, far, from beginner tennis. It requires a solid stroke and accurate placement to repeatedly hit the wall at the place where the rebound will set you up for another stroke.
    You've GOT too be joking...

Billy Jean King wrote that as a girl she wanted to play tennis with the better players in her city park-- and was refused because she wasn't good enough. So she just hit balls against the rebound wall there for days and weeks as necesary. One day she was not only good enough, but BETTER than most of the players there.

I can remember giving myself a HARD workout in half an hour of hitting against a rebound wall--especially while traveling on business, overnight or longer in a strange city.

When good players see someone who can really make it go, they often invite him to play. (except in Hilo, where strangers from the mainland are not welcome!)
    So you've only ever actually tried this in Hilo, then?
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Larry
    I've heard she was interested in doing more than just playing tennis with them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Quite the opposite OP. When the manager came over to our table I could overhear two guys in the booth next to us talking. The conversation went something like this:

"Hey man, there's some issue over at FD's table"
    "Dude, does the manager realize he's the greatest ball striker of all time"
    "I don't know dude, but I'm surprised he'd even come to a place like this. He plays Ping Eye 2s and clearly has the highest standards"

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    If there isn't an italian family with either Mama or her top italian cooking school son at the controls using ingredients imported from Italy, it isn't Italian food.

But there are some ok Italian inspired American restaurants up in San Francisco. Haven't seen a one down here. Which one in Poway? I have to take a buddy and his family to dinner there soon and can't think of anything good in the area. Was going to go to Cafe Pacifica in Old Town. Dobsons is a little far. They really don't know food, if you like a place it's conceivable they would.
    The Como inn in downtown Chicago was the greatest Italian dining experience I have had. Large portions that seemed to explode off your mouth, private booths, almost always a piano playing, extravagant decor, lots of Italian spoken. The regulars said you could be in Florence and not find any better. In the 20s 30s Al Capone hung out among many other of Chicagos elite. My dad was a regular and we were always treated like royalty. The only place I've ever seen the old man let the valet park his Rolls. When us kids were done, I couldn't wait to run across the street to the Maseratti dealer
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Lorenzo.... U are lucky to have lived close to little SG where VNmese food is cheap and excellent. In San José there is also a large population where they also serve excellent VNmese food, maybe a little more expensive, but still healthier and cheaper than American food. Thai food is also my favorite. Lot of good Thai restaurants in downtown Chicago.

To those who live in S.CA, if you ever be around Manhattan beach, there is an Italian restaurant called Mama'sD , right at the corner of Manhattan beach and Manhattan boulevard... This is as good as Italian food in Italy...
    http://www.mamadsrestaurant.com/

...and yes I know Italian food, I've been to Italy for business at least 10 times (Milano, Varesse, Venice, Florence...) so I know what I am talking about, I love "seafood" spaghetti in Italy... out of this world

Lorenzo.... U are lucky to have lived close to little SG where VNmese food is cheap and excellent. In San José there is also a large population where they also serve excellent VNmese food, maybe a little more expensive, but still healthier and cheaper than American food. Thai food is also my favorite. Lot of good Thai restaurants in downtown Chicago.

To those who live in S.CA, if you ever be around Manhattan beach, there is an Italian restaurant called Mama'sD , right at the corner of Manhattan beach and Manhattan boulevard... This is as good as Italian food in Italy...
    http://www.mamadsrestaurant.com/

...and yes I know Italian food, I've been to Italy for business at least 10 times (Milano, Varesse, Venice, Florence...) so I know what I am talking about, I love "seafood" spaghetti in Italy... out of this world
    Manhattan Beach has the best looking women in the world. There really is no substitute. If you are young and single that is the place to live.

Y'all have fun!

Larry
    Why did you cut your video short? I was waiting to see you at the club doing "some stretching and strength stuff."

Curious, what type of exercise do you do? You do know that static stretching prior to strength work isn't a good idea? It basically turns off your muscles and you will be slower and weaker. New school is movement prep drills before and save your static stretching until after or at a completely different time. Also, if you aren't already doing it, look into myofascial release using a foam roller.

Manhattan Beach has the best looking women in the world. There really is no substitute. If you are young and single that is the place to live.
    A buddy I golf with did a tour in Vietnam. Every now and then he gets a few beers in him, and the subject leads eventually to the Vietnamese, French mix women being the most beautiful females on the planet. I'm no historian, but it sounds like the French were there a long time. I'm sure Pky can enlighten us on this subject. He more or less implied if he hit the lotto, he'd split it with his wife and go back to Vietnam.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Why did you cut your video short? I was waiting to see you at the club doing "some stretching and strength stuff."

Curious, what type of exercise do you do? You do know that static stretching prior to strength work isn't a good idea? It basically turns off your muscles and you will be slower and weaker. New school is movement prep drills before and save your static stretching until after or at a completely different time. Also, if you aren't already doing it, look into myofascial release using a foam roller.
    I've been on the foam roller for about a month. It's called a rumble roller. At first, it was excrutiating on back calves, back, shoulders, etc. Now, it's basically pain free and I feel about 10 years younger.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I've been on the foam roller for about a month. It's called a rumble roller. At first, it was excrutiating on back calves, back, shoulders, etc. Now, it's basically pain free and I feel about 10 years younger.
    Did you have prior issues? Is there value for someone with normal range of motion, flexibility, etc?

I change my routines frequently and right now I'm looking for new stuff.
    GR lives...

Did you have prior issues? Is there value for someone with normal range of motion, flexibility, etc?

My right hip sucks, but everything else is decent.
    I really didn't realize I had tightness in other areas, but the rumble roller exposed a lot. Plus, it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes to hit everything.
    It's also great on sore muscles. I did a particularly rough pull up routine for the first time in months and hardly got sore.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

It's basically self message. Other implements are also employed like tennis balls, lacrosse balls, and a popular option is two lacrosse balls taped together.

Here's a mobility youtube. It's a good overall look at movement prep.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncd79GeZ6aQ

Here's a link to a blog on mobility. I just stumbled onto this site and really learned some new techniques. http://www.mobilitywod.com/

What type of shiat do you want to do in your workout? What have you been doing? What do you want to improve?

It's basically self message. Other implements are also employed like tennis balls, lacrosse balls, and a popular option is two lacrosse balls taped together.

Here's a link to a blog on mobility. I just stumbled onto this site and really learned some new techniques. http://www.mobilitywod.com/

What type of shiat do you want to do in your workout? What have you been doing? What do you want to improve?

I've been doing that for 30 years.

Until now, I've only done celebrity workouts. Saves me the cost of an expensive trainer and then I just rotate celebrities. It sounds like something tonys5 would do but the attraction for me is getting something for nothing.

I do alot of different things that I rotate. I prefer dumbells (save the birds of a feather comments). I don't do the heavy bar because it's silly. Lately I've been doing alot of crunch type exercises, a combination squat routine and inclined presses and curls. I've started doing rotational crunches on a machine but may switch to tubing because I hate machines. If I'm surfing, I change my routine because paddling can be a real load.

Aerobically I really prefer climbers with movable handles but will bike or run if with friends.

Then of course there are the all important push-ups. My favorite.
    GR lives...

Manhattan Beach has the best looking women in the world. There really is no substitute. If you are young and single with a high disposable income, that is the place to live.

There, fixed that for you.

Until now, I've only done celebrity workouts. Saves me the cost of an expensive trainer and then I just rotate celebrities. It sounds like something tonys5 would do but the attraction for me is getting something for nothing.

I do alot of different things that I rotate. I prefer dumbells (save the birds of a feather comments). I don't do the heavy bar because it's silly. Lately I've been doing alot of crunch type exercises, a combination squat routine and inclined presses and curls. I've started doing rotational crunches on a machine but may switch to tubing because I hate machines. If I'm surfing, I change my routine because paddling can be a real load.

Aerobically I really prefer climbers with movable handles but will bike or run if with friends.

Then of course there are the all important push-ups. My favorite.
    I'm currently doing the Be your own gym iphone/android app. It's pretty good with the respect that it's incremental and you can do it anywhere and has some good progressions. Here's a link... http://www.marklauren.com/index.html

http://www.coreperformance.com/ also has some good stuff. I got bored with it after a month or two...

Here's a great motivational site. http://rosstraining.com/blog/ He has a ton of exercise examples and many home gym do it yourself projects.

I've also been throwing in kettle bell exercises. If you haven't tried them you should. It's great cardio/strength exercise.

I'm currently doing the Be your own gym iphone/android app. It's pretty good with the respect that it's incremental and you can do it anywhere and has some good progressions. Here's a link... http://www.marklauren.com/index.html

http://www.coreperformance.com/ also has some good stuff. I got bored with it after a month or two...

Here's a great motivational site. http://rosstraining.com/blog/ He has a ton of exercise examples and many home gym do it yourself projects.

I've also been throwing in kettle bell exercises. If you haven't tried them you should. It's great cardio/strength exercise.
    I've seen the kettle bell and was thinking about trying it since it's kind of like dumbells and aerobics combined. For years I've focused on ways to shorten a workout while getting nearly the same benefit.

The perfect workout would be 30/30. 30 minutes cardio 30 resistance. I know people that are good with an hour, I need more time than that.

K, I looked at the Crosstraining website and there are some good ideas, thanks. Sliders are now on the list of things to try.
    Last edited by lorenzoinoc; 01-10-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    GR lives...

10 mins to better mobility but it's a freakin 50min youtube clip! I ain't got time to watch that. What's this foam roller stuff you guys are talking about. I've been having back problems since last summer and I learned a trick where I taped two rubber balls together and roll them up my back for self massage. Frees up the tight muscles and provides great relief. I was doing it on the floor but I recently began pilates and they recommended doing it standing against a wall. It works better as you don't have to use your full bodyweight and can control it more easily.

I've also just joined the gym as part of a new years get fit plan. Been once so far, upper body workout, and I'm feeling it! It's amazing how a pretty moderate workout leaves you feeling like somebody beat you up with a baseball bat when you haven't trained for a while!

Now where the f#ck am I?

I've also just joined the gym as part of a new years get fit plan. Been once so far, upper body workout, and I'm feeling it! It's amazing how a pretty moderate workout leaves you feeling like somebody beat you up with a baseball bat when you haven't trained for a while!
    Yeah, my gym's packed right now. It's great because there's alot of new blood. It's funny to watch the younger guys drool at what's in front of them and preen but then not approach anybody. They could at least fake an injury as they walk by someone of interest, maybe fall down in front of them.

In a few weeks though, most of you new people are down to twice a month at best and things return to normal. If it helps, Kiwi, before work is best.
    GR lives...

Yeah, my gym's packed right now. It's great because there's alot of new blood. It's funny to watch the younger guys drool at what's in front of them and preen but then not approach anybody. They could at least fake an injury as they walk by someone of interest, maybe fall down in front of them.

In a few weeks though, most of you new people are down to twice a month at best and things return to normal. If it helps, Kiwi, before work is best.
    I was a gym rat in a previous life and 5.30am always worked best for me. Alternating 3 days weight training and 3 days cardio.

I have an appointment with a PT at 6.00am tomorrow so I'll see what sort of program she has in mind for me. She asked what my goals were and I told her I wanted to look like Arnie by Easter. Alternatively I want a routine that will guarantee I can hit drives like Fluffy i.e. 300m average.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I was a gym rat in a previous life and 5.30am always worked best for me. Alternating 3 days weight training and 3 days cardio.

I have an appointment with a PT at 6.00am tomorrow so I'll see what sort of program she has in mind for me. She asked what my goals were and I told her I wanted to look like Arnie by Easter. Alternatively I want a routine that will guarantee I can hit drives like Fluffy i.e. 300m average.
    Let us know if she's hot. If she is, tell her your goal is to maintain a fixed push-up position for 45 minutes with absolutely no effort, leaving you free to concentrate on something else.

Again, if she is, tell her I'm able to do that and if she doesn't believe me she's welcome to visit me here in the states and I'll demonstrate it for her.

The weather right now is way better too.
    GR lives...

I've got to hand it to you SH guys. You really are in touch with your feminine side, with the push buggies and female personal trainers.
    Here in the States, men do not need personal trainers, and if they insist, the trainer is roid head who screams at you for an hour.
    Maybe you and your trainer can do some step aerobics or zoomba.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I've got to hand it to you SH guys. You really are in touch with your feminine side, with the push buggies and female personal trainers.
    Here in the States, men do not need personal trainers, and if they insist, the trainer is roid head who screams at you for an hour.
    Maybe you and your trainer can do some step aerobics or zoomba.
    LOL It's just part of the standard membership that they set you up with a program to start with. I don't normally like the program they give me and just do my own thing. I'm not having regular PT sessions as I think that is BS but if she's hot I may reconsider.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    A buddy I golf with did a tour in Vietnam. Every now and then he gets a few beers in him, and the subject leads eventually to the Vietnamese, French mix women being the most beautiful females on the planet. I'm no historian, but it sounds like the French were there a long time. I'm sure Pky can enlighten us on this subject. He more or less implied if he hit the lotto, he'd split it with his wife and go back to Vietnam.
    Is Your golf buddy VNmese?

He more or less implied if he hit the lotto, he'd split it with his wife and go back to Vietnam Same golf buddy?
    Let me know then I will enlighten you guys/girls/AC-DC on this subject

I've seen the kettle bell and was thinking about trying it since it's kind of like dumbells and aerobics combined. For years I've focused on ways to shorten a workout while getting nearly the same benefit.

The perfect workout would be 30/30. 30 minutes cardio 30 resistance. I know people that are good with an hour, I need more time than that.

K, I looked at the Crosstraining website and there are some good ideas, thanks. Sliders are now on the list of things to try.
    I think you meant Ross Training. The Cross training site is pretty intense but you have to really devote a garage or basement to follow their routine(s). They do a ton of olympic style lifting and gymnastic body weight stuff. Hard to do without a highbar and rings.

Also, sliders and tubing is great if you are on the road. You can do a ton of stuff with the two combined. Look up chops and lifts using tubes. there are many variations and they are great for transverse ab work and glute work. They are great for golf and probably good for surfing as well...

I made a tube station at my house by screwing two eye bolts into the wall studs, one near the ceiling and one near the floor. I then put a piece of chain between the two using a carbiners and a turnbuckle to take up the slack. I can attached the tubing anywhere on the chain.

Another great idea on the Ross Training site is the home made suspension trainer. He has a video posted describing how to make one on the cheap. Or you can get one at http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/...9_-1_Y_image_0.

Honestly, I rarely do cardio workouts in the winter. I have a water rower that I use but I hate doing cardio inside. I'll jump rope but there's no way I'm doing that for 10 minutes let alone 30. Personally, cardio is overrated unless your training for a specific sport. Most of the gains in cardio exercise is from muscle efficiency not from aerobic/cardio improvement. This has been studied over and over. For example, take a world class marathoner and have him dig a post hole. He'll be dead in 5-10 minutes. This is one of the ideas behind Crossfit. Work all out for a specific period of time and vary the exercises daily. Most of their workouts are 30-40 minutes but very intense.

I've found that doing 10-15 minutes of mobility prep stuff and then a 20-30 minute workout where I'm working hard for about 90 sec. with a max. of 30 second rest between each set is the best for me.. I'll alternate push, pull, legs, and core. If I want to do more I'll through in a mix day where I'll hit all in one workout. I'll also alternate reps and weight from week to week.

Bo 7 Mon... This is for Lorenzo....

Not sure if Lorenzo has tried this unique "Bo 7 Mon" VNmese dinner style. "Bo 7 Mon" means beef (Bo) cooks in seven (7) style (Mon)... Find a VNmese friend to take you and your gf there (maybe you/she has it already)... It's very very unique and can only find in VNmese cuisine... I think they also offer 5 styles instead of 7... or you could watch people around your dinner table as far as how to eat those... Try it you may love it... ANH HONG in general the better one out there... Weekend would be packed

https://www.google.com/search?q=revi...ient=firefox-a

10 mins to better mobility but it's a freakin 50min youtube clip! I ain't got time to watch that. What's this foam roller stuff you guys are talking about. I've been having back problems since last summer and I learned a trick where I taped two rubber balls together and roll them up my back for self massage. Frees up the tight muscles and provides great relief. I was doing it on the floor but I recently began pilates and they recommended doing it standing against a wall. It works better as you don't have to use your full bodyweight and can control it more easily.

You should probably stick to driving from Golf Galaxy to Golf Galaxy looking for a driver... Exercise is overrated.

Go to youtube and search foam roller stretch, or myofascial release. It's basically a self message. You can get the foam rollers at any sporting goods store like Dick's or Big 5, etc.

I think you meant Ross Training. The Cross training site is pretty intense but you have to really devote a garage or basement to follow their routine(s). They do a ton of olympic style lifting and gymnastic body weight stuff. Hard to do without a highbar and rings.

Also, sliders and tubing is great if you are on the road. You can do a ton of stuff with the two combined. Look up chops and lifts using tubes. there are many variations and they are great for transverse ab work and glute work. They are great for golf and probably good for surfing as well...

I made a tube station at my house by screwing two eye bolts into the wall studs, one near the ceiling and one near the floor. I then put a piece of chain between the two using a carbiners and a turnbuckle to take up the slack. I can attached the tubing anywhere on the chain.

Another great idea on the Ross Training site is the home made suspension trainer. He has a video posted describing how to make one on the cheap. Or you can get one at http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/...9_-1_Y_image_0.

Honestly, I rarely do cardio workouts in the winter. I have a water rower that I use but I hate doing cardio inside. I'll jump rope but there's no way I'm doing that for 10 minutes let alone 30. Personally, cardio is overrated unless your training for a specific sport. Most of the gains in cardio exercise is from muscle efficiency not from aerobic/cardio improvement. This has been studied over and over. For example, take a world class marathoner and have him dig a post hole. He'll be dead in 5-10 minutes. This is one of the ideas behind Crossfit. Work all out for a specific period of time and vary the exercises daily. Most of their workouts are 30-40 minutes but very intense.

I've found that doing 10-15 minutes of mobility prep stuff and then a 20-30 minute workout where I'm working hard for about 90 sec. with a max. of 30 second rest between each set is the best for me.. I'll alternate push, pull, legs, and core. If I want to do more I'll through in a mix day where I'll hit all in one workout. I'll also alternate reps and weight from week to week.
    You're right it was Ross. I'll agree to disagree as to the benefits of cardio. If you play a sport or enjoy marathon sex there are significant benefits. Then there's blood pressure and heart strength. I also feel lower stress, sleep better and much greater alertness which is why I do it in the morning.

Maybe there's a pathway to this without aerobic conditioning, but I've never been eager to do the one set every 30 seconds thing. And if you force yourself to do a routine you feel alot of resistance towards you won't stick with it. So I'd rather do a set every couple of minutes and then cardio at the end.

Rotating exercises though is definitely key. I will check out the suspension trainer and definitely give thought towards putting up tubing.
    GR lives...

My PT is also a golfer and Masseur! Knows all about muscles. He is not TPI, but has their exercises and drills.

http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Morgan...nities/Fitness

We do mostly core strengthening. Throwing the medicine ball from a golf swing stance with correct footwork is great swing training-- what we see VJ and Annika doing. Crunches, both sides included. He has me pedel a stationary bike-- while standing on the pedals without touching the bars. Try that when you think your legs and gluts are strong enough to balance and support you. I can only do a few minutes at at stretch, but slowly building up because I will persist. I stretch a band in various ways-- and use the machines including the stair-stepper, leg extension, etc. If I can still walk after 30 minutes he thinks he failed, ha.

But hard exercise becomes addictive-- and around here (near Camp Pendleton) we repeat what the Marines say, "whatever doesn't kill you-- makes you stronger!!" I hope.

When I walked the course Sunday I walked while the other 3 in my foursome rode. So I walked FAST, almost jogged to keep up. A few times I arrived at the tee, panting, and they were impatient, they had already teed off!

Beer sure tasted good after that round!

Larry

My PT is also a golfer and Masseur! Knows all about muscles. He is not TPI, but has their exercises and drills.

We do mostly core strengthening. Throwing the medicine ball from a golf swing stance with correct footwork is great swing training-- what we see VJ and Annika doing. Crunches, both sides included. He has me pedel a stationary bike-- while standing on the pedals without touching the bars. Try that when you think your legs and gluts are strong enough to balance and support you. I can only do a few minutes at at stretch, but slowly building up because I will persist. I stretch a band in various ways-- and use the machines including the stair-stepper, leg extension, etc. If I can still walk after 30 minutes he thinks he failed, ha.

But hard exercise becomes addictive-- and around here (near Camp Pendleton) we repeat what the Marines say, "whatever doesn't kill you-- makes you stronger!!" I hope.

When I walked the course Sunday I walked while the other 3 in my foursome rode. So I walked FAST, almost jogged to keep up. A few times I arrived at the tee, panting, and they were impatient, they had already teed off!

My god, man! Is there no subject about which you do not need to make yourself out to be better than everyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acKD8...0&feature=plcp

The only video you've ever shown of yourself on a course (Camp Pendleton no less!) clearly shows you were riding, and not walking.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Larry
    This morning I walked up the face of a 1,000 foot glacier. If it were not for the crevasse I surely would have perished. Dying makes you strong. I died once. During the autopsy they pried open my brain and found high levels dopamine, easily explained by my healthy exercise habits.

This morning I walked up the face of a 1,000 foot glacier. If it were not for the crevasse I surely would have perished. Dying makes you strong. I died once. During the autopsy they pried open my brain and found high levels dopamine, easily explained by my healthy exercise habits.
    Good for you! And likely yelling "Hoo-rah" the entire time!! Not much I wouldn't give to be your age!!

I realize many here can easily do more than I do-- I hope those who should will be inspired to get off their duffs... especially those who are also in their 70s. "use it or lose it!"

See ya out there.

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 01-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Good for you! And likely yelling "Hoo-rah" the entire time!! Not much I wouldn't give to be your age!!

I realize many here can easily do more than I do-- I hope those who should will be inspired to get off their duffs... especially those who are also in their 70s. "use it or lose it!"

See ya out there.

Larry
    Actually, I really need to get back in the gym. I've been eating better and lost 4 pounds but I want to lose another 8 and get down to fighting weight.

You should probably stick to driving from Golf Galaxy to Golf Galaxy looking for a driver... Exercise is overrated.

Go to youtube and search foam roller stretch, or myofascial release. It's basically a self message. You can get the foam rollers at any sporting goods store like Dick's or Big 5, etc.
    WTF you talkin about? We dont even got no Golf Galaxy in NZ.

Now where the f#ck am I?

You're right it was Ross. I'll agree to disagree as to the benefits of cardio. If you play a sport or enjoy marathon sex there are significant benefits. Then there's blood pressure and heart strength. I also feel lower stress, sleep better and much greater alertness which is why I do it in the morning.

Maybe there's a pathway to this without aerobic conditioning, but I've never been eager to do the one set every 30 seconds thing. And if you force yourself to do a routine you feel alot of resistance towards you won't stick with it. So I'd rather do a set every couple of minutes and then cardio at the end.

Rotating exercises though is definitely key. I will check out the suspension trainer and definitely give thought towards putting up tubing.
    Yah, I have no problem with the outdoor aerobic exercise. I just can't do the indoor stuff. It's just too boring. Running on trails, biking in open roads, hiking up a mountain, playing a sport, sure. Running on a treadmill, stationary biking, stair steps, elliptical, etc are boring.

Check out the book Body by Science if you have the desire. It's a interesting book looking at many of the current studies on health. I know you'd be surprised that many of the theories that doctors have about health aren't very well substantiated from modern studies. They are based on old ideas and don't have modern science to back them up.

If by aerobic to improve your cardiovascular system, you mean doing something strenuous and varied than I would agree. Why? Because after a short time of doing an aerobic activity, the majority of the gains are from increased proficiency and muscle coordination. They are not from just from a cardiovascular increase. If you vary the workouts ie bike one day, skip rope, run the next, swim, hike, etc. etc. you'll get better results in a shorter time. That is if your goal is to work out your cardiovascular system. If your goal is to run a fast mile or bike a long distance then you need to train those muscles and get the best bang for buck out of your movement. Like I said, have a marathoner dig a post hole. He'll be exhausted quickly.

BTW - the more efficient you get at a movement the longer you have to do it to work out your cardiovascular system. Or the faster you have to work at it. Again, this is why modern workout systems like Cross Fit are about varying the workouts daily.

Now if your goal is to watch the prono stars and milf's working out on the stairsteppers, then ok. Go hit the treadmill.

You are surely golf equipment-deprived. After work this afternoon, instead of driving the nine miles from the parking garage to my home, I stopped in at the local Golf Galaxy between my job and home. Just to see what bargains could be had. Recently I have been having the 3 wood woes that have been going on for years. I must have 10 of the damn things around and can't hit a one reliably so I've been on the internet reading reviews etc trying to decide what might be better than all the Tits I have. There were some rave reviews on the Ping Raptures and Tour Edge Exotics and Sonartecs etc. Well, I am really cheap and decided that the Nike T-60 and the Mizuno MP-001 had promise with the right shafts. Since I am a shaft hoarder, I've got enough lying around to experiement for a year with different combos. Lo and behold, the Golf Galaxy used rack had both a Nike T-40 and a Mizuno MP-001, both 15* which was what I was wanting, but both with True Temper steel shafts, which I didn't care about anyway since they would be pulled before dinner was ready. The best part, gotta love Golf Galaxy, was the prices: $7.97 for the Nike and $8.87 for the Mizuno. I took home the Nike and the epoxy is drying on the Proforce V2 72 gram hybrid shaft.

You are surely golf equipment-deprived. After work this afternoon, instead of driving the nine miles from the parking garage to my home, I stopped in at the local Golf Galaxy between my job and home. Just to see what bargains could be had. Recently I have been having the 3 wood woes that have been going on for years. I must have 10 of the damn things around and can't hit a one reliably so I've been on the internet reading reviews etc trying to decide what might be better than all the Tits I have. There were some rave reviews on the Ping Raptures and Tour Edge Exotics and Sonartecs etc. Well, I am really cheap and decided that the Nike T-60 and the Mizuno MP-001 had promise with the right shafts. Since I am a shaft hoarder, I've got enough lying around to experiement for a year with different combos. Lo and behold, the Golf Galaxy used rack had both a Nike T-40 and a Mizuno MP-001, both 15* which was what I was wanting, but both with True Temper steel shafts, which I didn't care about anyway since they would be pulled before dinner was ready. The best part, gotta love Golf Galaxy, was the prices: $7.97 for the Nike and $8.87 for the Mizuno. I took home the Nike and the epoxy is drying on the Proforce V2 72 gram hybrid shaft.
    U are good Mongrel... that's a cheap way to experiment golf club. I have no problems changing grips, shorten shaft while saving existing good grips but never learn how to replace shaft yet, especially the bore-thru design like Cally. I will learn some day

My bad. I should have directed that one at FD....

U are good Mongrel... that's a cheap way to experiment golf club. I have no problems changing grips, shorten shaft while saving existing good grips but never learn how to replace shaft yet, especially the bore-thru design like Cally. I will learn some day
    Its easy. Should be real easy for an engineer. All you need is a propane torch, a $69.95 shaft puller from Golfworks, a bench vise, some sandpaper, and some epoxy. Its amazing how a shaft that is crappy in one wood can become a shining star in another one, or in the same one tipped 1/2" or somehow adjusted just a bit. Another thing I've learned to do is FLO all my reshafts. I used to be real paranoid about not being able to find the spines of shafts until I realized that spines don't mean sh*t if the club won't FLO. Sometimes a club you just can't hit right consistently just suffers from having the shaft installed so that it wobbles around. And just removing it and setting the installation at the FLO point turns a turd into a gem.

Yah, I have no problem with the outdoor aerobic exercise. I just can't do the indoor stuff. It's just too boring. Running on trails, biking in open roads, hiking up a mountain, playing a sport, sure. Running on a treadmill, stationary biking, stair steps, elliptical, etc are boring.

Check out the book Body by Science if you have the desire. It's a interesting book looking at many of the current studies on health. I know you'd be surprised that many of the theories that doctors have about health aren't very well substantiated from modern studies. They are based on old ideas and don't have modern science to back them up.

If by aerobic to improve your cardiovascular system, you mean doing something strenuous and varied than I would agree. Why? Because after a short time of doing an aerobic activity, the majority of the gains are from increased proficiency and muscle coordination. They are not from just from a cardiovascular increase. If you vary the workouts ie bike one day, skip rope, run the next, swim, hike, etc. etc. you'll get better results in a shorter time. That is if your goal is work out your cardiovascular system. If your goal is to run a fast mile or bike a long distance then you need to train those muscles and get the best bang for buck out of your movement. Like I said, have a marathoner dig a post hole. He'll be exhausted quickly.

BTW - the more efficient you get at a movement the longer you have to do it to work out your cardiovascular system. Or the faster you have to work at it. Again, this is why modern workout systems like Cross Fit are about varying the workouts daily.

Now if your goal is to watch the prono stars and milf's working out on the stairsteppers, then ok. Go hit the treadmill.
    I use an eliptical unless conditions are right for a bike ride or run. I typically target a heart rate. Are you saying that doesn't matter if the routine is repetitive? How does your cardiovascular system know the difference? Load is load.
    GR lives...

[QUOTE=Pky6471;260627]Is Your golf buddy VNmese?

He more or less implied if he hit the lotto, he'd split it with his wife and go back to Vietnam Same golf buddy?
    Let me know then I will enlighten you guys/girls/AC-DC on this subject[
    He's a good friend of almost 40 years, got me into golf, as I met him about a year after he returned from Vietnam. He's not Vietnamese, he's the son of are former family doctor, who was drafted into the army, and went to Japan, then Vietnam. He was in intelligence. He brings up the battle of Dien Bien phu, on several occasions, brings up the French colonization, and how beautiful the women are in Vietnam. He fell in love with the culture and cuisine, as he eats alot of Asian food, not Chinese. Vietnamese, and Japanese, and I believe Thai. We had some beers oneday last summer, and he's always buying lotto tickets. I asked what would he do, if he hit the big one. He mentioned a school foundation he would fund, and he might split the money with his wife, let her due her thing, and go back to Vietnam to live out his life. He speaks semi fluent Vietnamese, and I would probably have to visit him, and see Vietnam. He claims it's a very beautiful country, and he said the French, Vietnamese mix are the most beautiful women he's ever seen.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 01-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Its easy. Should be real easy for an engineer. All you need is a propane torch, a $69.95 shaft puller from Golfworks, a bench vise, some sandpaper, and some epoxy. Its amazing how a shaft that is crappy in one wood can become a shining star in another one, or in the same one tipped 1/2" or somehow adjusted just a bit. Another thing I've learned to do is FLO all my reshafts. I used to be real paranoid about not being able to find the spines of shafts until I realized that spines don't mean sh*t if the club won't FLO. Sometimes a club you just can't hit right consistently just suffers from having the shaft installed so that it wobbles around. And just removing it and setting the installation at the FLO point turns a turd into a gem.
    from the scientific standpoint, spine/FLO makes a lot of sense... I wonder how often those guys from G.Galaxy or Dick's use that technique when they replace shafts for people?

Not sure if Lorenzo has tried this unique "Bo 7 Mon" VNmese dinner style. "Bo 7 Mon" means beef (Bo) cooks in seven (7) style (Mon)... Find a VNmese friend to take you and your gf there (maybe you/she has it already)... It's very very unique and can only find in VNmese cuisine... I think they also offer 5 styles instead of 7... or you could watch people around your dinner table as far as how to eat those... Try it you may love it... ANH HONG in general the better one out there... Weekend would be packed

https://www.google.com/search?q=revi...ient=firefox-a
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be in Little Saigon next week with an actual Vietnamese person. Maybe she can show me the ropes on this.
    GR lives...

from the scientific standpoint, spine/FLO makes a lot of sense... I wonder how often those guys from G.Galaxy or Dick's use that technique when they replace shafts for people?
    The scientific method used by those guys is usually "the logo goes underneath". With the better quality controlled shaft makers, it works well enough enough of the time. But my most recent driver reshaft with a brand new Proforce Axiv took me about 25 attempts around the 360* to get it right. And the UST shafts are usually among the best.

I haven't looked at any studies, but I know that being in great cardio shape makes you feel good. The best shape I have ever been in, in my adult life, is when I worked out with the Airforce Triathlon Team in SA, TX. A friend of mine did some coaching for them and would let a few people work out alongside them for the track work, biking and strength. The track work was probably the hardest hour of working out I've ever done. Mostly 400's and 800's with one minute breaks, plus hills and sprints. I would probably die if I tried it now.
    I could never keep up with the AF pack on the bike, but for a civilian, I was pretty decent.
    I've tried to incorporate some of the strength work into my routines since then, but I can't seem to replicate the intensity outside of the group dynamic.
    Of course I was in my late 20's back then and not married. Nowadays, I'm more concerned with functional fitness and looking OK than athletic performance.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be in Little Saigon next week with an actual Vietnamese person. Maybe she can show me the ropes on this.
    Let us know how you like it... Tsingtao beer, Saigon beer or beer 333 would go very well with this dinner style

[QUOTE=12sandwich;260686]
    Is Your golf buddy VNmese?

Let me know then I will enlighten you guys/girls/AC-DC on this subject[
    He's a good friend of almost 40 years, got me into golf, as I met him about a year after he returned from Vietnam. He's not Vietnamese, he's the son of are former family doctor, who was drafted into the army, and went to Japan, then Vietnam. He was in intelligence. He brings up the battle of Dien Bien phu, on several occasions, brings up the French colonization, and how beautiful the women are in Vietnam. He fell in love with the culture and cuisine, as he eats alot of Asian food, not Chinese. Vietnamese, and Japanese, and I believe Thai. We had some beers oneday last summer, and he's always buying lotto tickets. I asked what would he do, if he hit the big one. He mentioned a school foundation he would fund, and he might split the money with his wife, let her due her thing, and go back to Vietnam to live out his life. He speaks semi fluent Vietnamese, and I would probably have to visit him, and see Vietnam. He claims it's a very beautiful country, and he said the French, Vietnamese mix are the most beautiful women he's ever seen.
    Saigon before 1975 was the "Pearl of far east"... very beautiful city, heavily influenced by French... Pky is the name of my HS (Petrus Ký) , a very famous HS which was equivalent of MIT name in the USA, difficult to get in , the yr I took the national test they selected the best of the best (300 out of the best 5000 in VN then) students. Your friend is correct about the beauty of VNmese/French mix or VNmese/USA mix or VNmese/Euro mix, not sure why but that blend turns into very beautiful women (see my attached pix, one could look just like this girl)... and they don't age as fast as Western women. I left SG end of 1970, the goal was to get my Ph.D and return home to become a professor at MIT equivalent college of Engineering, Obviously that did not happen after we lost the war to the north VNmese. I have not been back and don't intend to until they clean up the corrupted government, which probably after I die... If you have $2000 month which is not much in USA then you could live a very comfortable life in VN... Girls are cheap, unfortunately, because they would do everything to help parents and themselves. I know lots of VNmese guys from CA went back to VN, having mistress and ended up divorced wife in USA. 60-yr old guy from USA with decent money ($1000 income) can easily marry 20-25 yr-old girl there... Happen all the time,,, Now you understand why your friend want to go there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1786_resize.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	2795  

I use an eliptical unless conditions are right for a bike ride or run. I typically target a heart rate. Are you saying that doesn't matter if the routine is repetitive? How does your cardiovascular system know the difference? Load is load.
    It's not the cardio system it's the brain. The neuromotor system implores less muscles groups and fibers as you become efficient at the movement. The better you become the less muscle you use. This is akin to muscle confusion in strength training. After the initial cardio improvement most of your gains is from increased proficiency. (or to put it in a perspective you can understand; you've become good at the 45 minute static push up position and will barely break a sweat.)

As HB mentioned you can also vary the way you do an exercise like sprints vs. running vs. jogging but they are still not as effective on your cardio system as doing something your not as proficient at doing.

Another side to this theory is that the longer you have to exercise to reach the desired outcome, the more prone you become to repetitive injuries, like shoulder bone spurs on long distance runners. If I can get a good workout in 30 minutes that it would take a skilled runner to do in 1 hour, I've not only saved time but I've also saved some wear and tear on my body. It's really a different prospective on what it is to be fit. If you include longevity, it's better to do less and get the same health benefits. Especially if you don't enjoy the activity you have to do to stay health. Like running on a treadmill.
    Last edited by poe4soul; 01-11-2012 at 07:44 AM.

It's not the cardio system it's the brain. The neuromotor system implores less muscles groups and fibers as you become efficient at the movement. The better you become the less muscle you use. This is akin to muscle confusion in strength training. After the initial cardio improvement most of your gains is from increased proficiency. (or to put it in a perspective you can understand; you've become good at the 45 minute static push up position and will barely break a sweat.)

As HB mentioned you can also vary the way you do an exercise like sprints vs. running vs. jogging but they are still not as effective on your cardio system as doing something your not as proficient at doing.

Another side to this theory is that the longer you have to exercise to reach the desired outcome, the more prone you become to repetitive injuries, like shoulder bone spurs on long distance runners. If I can get a good workout in 30 minutes that it would take a skilled runner to do in 1 hour, I've not only saved time but I've also saved some wear and tear on my body. It's really a different prospective on what it is to be fit. If you include longevity, it's better to do less and get the same health benefits. Especially if you don't enjoy the activity you have to do to stay health. Like running on a treadmill.
    Whenever I see people who are long distance runners they always appear to be much older than they really are. In some ways they don't look healthy to me. I think the best form of exercise is to run no more than 40 minutes at a time and do it 3 times a week. The other days do another form of aerobic exercise like biking, stairmaster, etc. Either that or only do 3 days of running and the other 3 days to strength conditioning with weights.

I agree with what you said about the brain becoming conditioned to the exercise. If I begin lifting weights I will move up to a certain level and then it seems like I can't go any further. Some of this is simply the fact that my muscles can only get so strong but part of it is doing the same exercises over and over.

I lost 3 pounds over the last 8 days. All I did was eat about 70% of what I normally do and completely cut out any snacking, with the exception of snacking on raw fruit.

Whenever I see people who are long distance runners they always appear to be much older than they really are. In some ways they don't look healthy to me. I think the best form of exercise is to run no more than 40 minutes at a time and do it 3 times a week. The other days do another form of aerobic exercise like biking, stairmaster, etc. Either that or only do 3 days of running and the other 3 days to strength conditioning with weights.

I agree with what you said about the brain becoming conditioned to the exercise. If I begin lifting weights I will move up to a certain level and then it seems like I can't go any further. Some of this is simply the fact that my muscles can only get so strong but part of it is doing the same exercises over and over.

I lost 3 pounds over the last 8 days. All I did was eat about 70% of what I normally do and completely cut out any snacking, with the exception of snacking on raw fruit.
    20 yrs ago I did a lot of work in Chicago area, went out for dinner with a sales Mgr just about every time when I was there.... and he was in very good shape. I then realized that before dinner he split 1/2 of his order to take home and after dinner he took the whole dessert home to his wife... Maybe his wife gained wt, not him

Gotta love people building careers on their new theories. I agree as to efficiency with most forms of resistance training which is why I use dumbells whenever possible, tubing to a lesser extent and constantly vary my routines. I've worked out my entire teenage and adult life and I'm happy where I am.

But to say your cardiovascular system knows what's getting it to 160 seems silly. I accept the parts on efficiency making it harder to do that and also on repetitive risk of injury. So you may have to work harder to get to the 160 but injury risk also increases trying to get 160 when you vary.

Injury risk and reduced effort to get my desired cardio result is exactly why I use an elliptical. Lowest impact I can find and since the addition of movable handles I can regulate my heart rate exactly by how vigorously I use them. Which is variance I suppose, but I always use the same variance method.

As a teenager and young adult I skied competitively. There's nothing else I've done even sexually that demands as much physically. The stronger you are the lighter you can be on your edges but for this type of strength anaerobic and aerobic processes are both crucial. Keeping a tuck over a compression at 80 mph 1:30 into a race is one of the ultimate physical and mental challenges. But even in a p.ussy slalom race the benefits of aerobic and anaerobic acuity are obvious.

I was injured a couple of times, the worst being a broken arm I got being late for a poorly set downhill gate and ending up hitting a net at around 60 mph. But otherwise, physically things went pretty well. Today, my lung capacity is freakish, my resting heart rate's been in the high 30-s my whole adult life and I seldom run into younger athletes with better endurance.

So I feel I've got alot of this stuff figured out but acknowledge in some areas knowledge is in its infancy. But for someone to come along and say aerobic and cardiovascular results is about anything other than heart rate seems ludicrous and I've got years of experience backing that up.
    GR lives...

Gotta love people building careers on their new theories. I agree as to efficiency with most forms of resistance training which is why I use dumbells whenever possible, tubing to a lesser extent and constantly vary my routines. I've worked out my entire teenage and adult life and I'm happy where I am.

But to say your cardiovascular system knows what's getting it to 160 seems silly. I accept the parts on efficiency making it harder to do that and also on repetitive risk of injury. So you may have to work harder to get to the 160 but injury risk also increases trying to get 160 when you vary.

Injury risk and reduced effort to get my desired cardio result is exactly why I use an elliptical. Lowest impact I can find and since the addition of movable handles I can regulate my heart rate exactly by how vigorously I use them. Which is variance I suppose, but I always use the same variance method.

As a teenager and young adult I skied competitively. There's nothing else I've done even sexually that demands as much physically. The stronger you are the lighter you can be on your edges but for this type of strength anaerobic and aerobic processes are both crucial. Keeping a tuck over a compression at 80 mph 1:30 into a race is one of the ultimate physical and mental challenges. But even in a p.ussy slalom race the benefits of aerobic and anaerobic acuity are obvious.

I was injured a couple of times, the worst being a broken arm I got being late for a poorly set downhill gate and ending up hitting a net at around 60 mph. But otherwise, physically things went pretty well. Today, my lung capacity is freakish, my resting heart rate's been in the high 30-s my whole adult life and I seldom run into younger athletes with better endurance.

So I feel I've got alot of this stuff figured out but acknowledge in some areas knowledge is in its infancy. But for someone to come along and say aerobic and cardiovascular results is about anything other than heart rate seems ludicrous and I've got years of experience backing that up.
    Sounds good Zo. These new theories aren't really that new but I get your point.

Do you think you were in your target heart rate in those downhill races? If so, did you back off? I get target heart rate for a guideline, but it is the AMA and they are all about safety. You won't find a doctor that prescribes going over the AMA's recommendation. But then I'm not a doctor and haven't had any heart issues. So WTF do I know.

BTW - If your resting heart rate is in the 30's you should be wearing a medical id bracelet. An EMT will pump you full of stimulates if he is treating you and you are unconscious. This could cause some serious complications. This happened to a ex pro biker friend of mine. He was in a car accident and they pumped him up. It could have killed him.

Let's face it, just a little exercise every day would be more than 98% of Americans achieve. We don't need a book explaining to us what we need to do. We need to do some kind of aerobic exercise for 40 minutes or more every day and we should do some kind of strength conditioning. I think running is the best aerobic exercise simply based on human nature. It's difficult to stick with any other kind of aerobic activity because they all become boring or too time consuming. Running is so easy and it becomes very addictive as you begin to see results. Also, running is the only activity in which I notice a drastic change in my mood after 30 minutes. The endorphins begin to pop and I feel energized and relieved of stress.

If by aerobic to improve your cardiovascular system, you mean doing something strenuous and varied than I would agree. Why? Because after a short time of doing an aerobic activity, the majority of the gains are from increased proficiency and muscle coordination. They are not from just from a cardiovascular increase. If you vary the workouts ie bike one day, skip rope, run the next, swim, hike, etc. etc. you'll get better results in a shorter time. That is if your goal is to work out your cardiovascular system. If your goal is to run a fast mile or bike a long distance then you need to train those muscles and get the best bang for buck out of your movement. Like I said, have a marathoner dig a post hole. He'll be exhausted quickly.

Did you expect us to help you rationalize? You are so transparently desperate to find ways to justify laziness. Go for it!! You aren't hurting anyone but yourself-- and when they to use the paddles to restart your heart, that will probably be done inside a building, how boring!

Larry

Let's face it, just a little exercise every day would be more than 98% of Americans achieve. We don't need a book explaining to us what we need to do. We need to do some kind of aerobic exercise for 40 minutes or more every day and we should do some kind of strength conditioning. I think running is the best aerobic exercise simply based on human nature. It's difficult to stick with any other kind of aerobic activity because they all become boring or too time consuming. Running is so easy and it becomes very addictive as you begin to see results. Also, running is the only activity in which I notice a drastic change in my mood after 30 minutes. The endorphins begin to pop and I feel energized and relieved of stress.
    Not really. Running is extremely hard on our knees, feet, hips, and etc. Those who run a lot almost always need joint replacement surgery later. Nobody should run in their 40s and limp through their 60s. And full disclosure, I was a serious runner for years, 10ks and half marathons at least monthly with serious training between. I stretched at the Information Center on Mission Bay and ran there nearly every Sunday morning. (The group stretching was good-- those tiny nylon running shorts looked great on the girls!).

But we can get our aerobic exercise much more safely on modern exercise machines-- stair steppers, ski machines, stationary bikes, etc. etc.

Join a fitness club-- and then pay to use the pro trainers, join the organized sessions, etc. most of us wouldn't do it without that little push-- too easy to rationalize sitting around "just for today."

Same with golf lessons. When you have paid to have someone tell you what you need to learn-- tell and show you the drills and exercises that will get you there, it is a little more difficult to throw that money away by ignoring what he said.

Larry

[QUOTE=Pky6471;260709]
    Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post

Saigon before 1975 was the "Pearl of far east"... very beautiful city, heavily influenced by French... Pky is the name of my HS (Petrus Ký) , a very famous HS which was equivalent of MIT name in the USA, difficult to get in , the yr I took the national test they selected the best of the best (300 out of the best 5000 in VN then) students. Your friend is correct about the beauty of VNmese/French mix or VNmese/USA mix or VNmese/Euro mix, not sure why but that blend turns into very beautiful women (see my attached pix, one could look just like this girl)... and they don't age as fast as Western women. I left SG end of 1970, the goal was to get my Ph.D and return home to become a professor at MIT equivalent college of Engineering, Obviously that did not happen after we lost the war to the north VNmese. I have not been back and don't intend to until they clean up the corrupted government, which probably after I die... If you have $2000 month which is not much in USA then you could live a very comfortable life in VN... Girls are cheap, unfortunately, because they would do everything to help parents and themselves. I know lots of VNmese guys from CA went back to VN, having mistress and ended up divorced wife in USA. 60-yr old guy from USA with decent money ($1000 income) can easily marry 20-25 yr-old girl there... Happen all the time,,, Now you understand why your friend want to go there...
    Single friend of mine in his 60s loved to go over and spend months in Thailand and the PI. He finally bought a nice waterfront house in the PI and married one of the local girls, one that looked like a child. Now he is basically "patrone" of that little area, the only person with money, ha. But what do they talk about? He spends his day on the Internet.

Larry

Thread Information