|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Hogan Apex FTX Irons

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ben-Hogan-Ap...item53eba125e6

Anyone here play(ed) Hogan forged irons? I saw a set of the FTX in like new condition at Golf Mart for $119, which is pretty unbelievable since they used to go for $799 new. I never run into anyone who plays Hogan irons so I'm just curious. I remember trying the Hogan Apex Plus when they came out and I thought they felt great.

I like the FTX because it has cavity back in the longer irons and almost a pure blade in the shorter. I would get the steel shaft, naturally.

Never hit them but seen them in a few better players bags and heard nothing but good reviews about them.

I once played a guy in matchplay who was a 1 handicap who played these irons. I beat him as he was having an off day (shot 76) and was giving me 11 shots!!! I had a good day (shot 82) and beat him but a few days earlier he had shot 67 on the same course.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

http://bentcreekcc.memberstatements....m?tourid=96096

When I lived in Lancaster PA , my next door neighbor who was the head pro at Bent Creek private country club played this set. When he moved to Scottsdale AZ in 1998, he had another brand new set which he told me "don't touch them unless you are consistently shoot in the mid 70s

I played Hogan Apex Edge for awhile; softer forged faces married to a higher carbon content frame (pocket cavity). Great feeling and performing irons; I sold them because of the graphite shafts which I had trouble getting consistent distances with. If I run across another nice set I would buy them again.

Some of the guys I competed against at the private clubs I belonged to in the '80's played Hogan Apexes. Of course there were a bunch of different Apex head designs and none of them were pure muscleback blades. I played a round or two with demo Apex sets but never considered owning them for two reasons: #1 was the Hogan proprietary shafts that had numbers for flexes-- 1 through 5, and, #2: I could never get past the "E" on the pitching wedges. It stood for "Equalizer" which always struck me as slightly stupid since "P" was universally accepted to mean "pitching wedge". I did have a set of irons from Europe when I was about 12 years old that had "10" stamped on the sole of the pitching wedge. My father said it was a 10 iron and the same as his pitching wedge so I played it but really rather would have had a P on its sole. None of those Hogans I hit ever felt half as good as the cheapo Mizuno forged shovels I have now, the MX 20's and 23's. And the MP 14's are light years ahead of any of the Hogan designs. And I'm sure the modern MP's are much better than that although the MP 37's and MP 60's I've hit all felt like crap to me.

Hogan FTX

Two years ago, I had two 5-irons that I practiced with when I'd sneak onto the [U.S. Open venue] club on foggy summer evenings. One was a Hogan FTX with Apex 4, the other was a Wishon 550C with Series 5 "R". I hit the Wishon much better. It was probably the shaft not the head, but if I ever went to cavities I'd definitely go with Wishon. Plus, Hogan puts red numbers on all their irons, and I hate red.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    http://bentcreekcc.memberstatements....m?tourid=96096

When I lived in Lancaster PA , my next door neighbor who was the head pro at Bent Creek private country club played this set. When he moved to Scottsdale AZ in 1998, he had another brand new set which he told me "don't touch them unless you are consistently shoot in the mid 70s
    The FTX didn't come out until 2004 or 2005

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The FTX didn't come out until 2004 or 2005
    FD... U could be absolutely correct, my old neighbor played that brand , not exactly the same model... all I remember was the set looks very good

hogan apex ftx

I bought a set of these clubs about 3years ago and still use them,the ball goes exactly where you want it to go and they are very light weight.I just had the heads and hosels redone by a certified club builder and checked the graphite shafts,they have number 4 tagged on them,which turns out be a stiff shaft.I bought these clubs on sale for $300.00 regular $760.00,8 to wedge are muscle back.These are good feeling clubs and I've thought of upgradeing,but for the price I'll keep em.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Some of the guys I competed against at the private clubs I belonged to in the '80's played Hogan Apexes. Of course there were a bunch of different Apex head designs and none of them were pure muscleback blades. I played a round or two with demo Apex sets but never considered owning them for two reasons: #1 was the Hogan proprietary shafts that had numbers for flexes-- 1 through 5, and, #2: I could never get past the "E" on the pitching wedges. It stood for "Equalizer" which always struck me as slightly stupid since "P" was universally accepted to mean "pitching wedge". I did have a set of irons from Europe when I was about 12 years old that had "10" stamped on the sole of the pitching wedge. My father said it was a 10 iron and the same as his pitching wedge so I played it but really rather would have had a P on its sole. None of those Hogans I hit ever felt half as good as the cheapo Mizuno forged shovels I have now, the MX 20's and 23's. And the MP 14's are light years ahead of any of the Hogan designs. And I'm sure the modern MP's are much better than that although the MP 37's and MP 60's I've hit all felt like crap to me.
    Me, too. It is because they are forged cavity backs. However, (and I think OP will agree with me on this) although the MP-32s are a blade, they feel like crap whenever hit, too. I really think you have to play the MP-67s, MP-33s and I am sure the 14 and 20 something MPs are good too though I have not tried them.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Me, too. It is because they are forged cavity backs. However, (and I think OP will agree with me on this) although the MP-32s are a blade, they feel like crap whenever hit, too. I really think you have to play the MP-67s, MP-33s and I am sure the 14 and 20 something MPs are good too though I have not tried them.
    The MP37 is a blade very similar looking to the MP33 though slightly smaller and supposedly lower launching. It's not a cavity back. Supposedly harder to hit so maybe Mongrel didn't find the sweet spot. I have a buddy who plays them and loves them.

The MP60 is just a rare dud from Mizuno. I've hit them and agree they feel like crap. The MP32 is sweet but feels more like a players cavity back IMO.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    The MP37 is a blade very similar looking to the MP33 though slightly smaller and supposedly lower launching. It's not a cavity back. Supposedly harder to hit so maybe Mongrel didn't find the sweet spot. I have a buddy who plays them and loves them.

The MP60 is just a rare dud from Mizuno. I've hit them and agree they feel like crap. The MP32 is sweet but feels more like a players cavity back IMO.
    The few 37's I hit had X100's and jumbo grips so I couldn't even feel the heads. Their swingweights felt like C5. Maybe with a soft flex Dynalite Gold they would have felt good to me. When I hit them, I had already gotten my used set of MP 14's and reshafted them so they felt like warm butter and everything else pretty much felt like crap. Now that I have MX 20's and 23's with Dynalite Gold regular flex shafts, I've got the best feeling irons I've ever owned. In fact, I don't even feel most of my shots which is just the way I like it. Like the ball isn't even there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post

I had a really nice set of MP-32s for about a year, but I sold them 4 or 5 months ago. I scored well with them, but they always looked kind of "boxish" to me and felt "clickish." I know you and Lorenzo like them a lot, but I felt like they were miles apart from the feel the other MP blades have.

No such thing as the MP 20 and your assertion that the MP-37 is a cavity back is incorrect. Not only that but the MP-32 and MP-67 are virtually the same club except for the fact that the MP-67 is slightly shorter from head to toe. Speaking of heads, I suggest you get yours checked.

I asked you people to comment on the Hogan Apex FTX irons. I did not ask for feedback on older Ben Hogan Apex irons, Ben Hogan's home town or what his favorite cereal used to be.

I was very specific on my request for feedback regarding a particular iron. If you haven't played the Ben Hogan FTX then I suggest you post elsewhere. Where the hell is OP? No way he hasn't tried these.

No such thing as the MP 20 and your assertion that the MP-37 is a cavity back is incorrect. Not only that but the MP-32 and MP-67 are virtually the same club except for the fact that the MP-67 is slightly shorter from head to toe. Speaking of heads, I suggest you get yours checked.

I asked you people to comment on the Hogan Apex FTX irons. I did not ask for feedback on older Ben Hogan Apex irons, Ben Hogan's home town or what his favorite cereal used to be.

I was very specific on my request for feedback regarding a particular iron. If you haven't played the Ben Hogan FTX then I suggest you post elsewhere. Where the hell is OP? No way he hasn't tried these.
    Ben Hogan was a prick when he was alive. I laugh at all the phony commentators and writers who refer to him as "Mister Hogan". These same brown-nosers do the same for Arnie ("Mister Palmer"). The other major winner Ben, Crenshaw, is about the nicest guy on the planet. Too bad he didn't make clubs with his name on them. I would definitely try a set of Crenshaw blades.

Ben Hogan was a prick when he was alive. I laugh at all the phony commentators and writers who refer to him as "Mister Hogan". These same brown-nosers do the same for Arnie ("Mister Palmer"). The other major winner Ben, Crenshaw, is about the nicest guy on the planet. Too bad he didn't make clubs with his name on them. I would definitely try a set of Crenshaw blades.
    I'm pretty sure Cleveland did have a line of Crenshaw blades. They had a Crenshaw putter. They also had a Corey Pavin putter, although I can never see myself playing anything with the name Corey Pavin on it.

I don't know why but I just don't like having Cleveland equipment in my bag.

I'm pretty sure Cleveland did have a line of Crenshaw blades. They had a Crenshaw putter. They also had a Corey Pavin putter, although I can never see myself playing anything with the name Corey Pavin on it.

I don't know why but I just don't like having Cleveland equipment in my bag.
    That's funny because I thought Pavin has always used an Acushnet Bullseye. Then again, Cleveland probably had no problem paying Corey enough so that he would let the company punch his name on their shovels. Especially since he played what may be the most horrendously fugly irons ever made, the VAS 792's. The American Motors Marlin of gold clubs.

You are correct, the 37s are not a cavity back. I have not played the 37s at all and couldn't give much a review on them. Being Mizunos, they COULD feel like crap and still feel better than anything PING puts out.

I said "MP-20 something." Learn to read. Doing a bit more search, what I wanted to post was the MP-29.

MP-67s and MP-32s are nowhere the same. I do more than just "range" reviews, FD. I actually have played both for more than a year in actual rounds. To me, the 67s feel more like a true Mizuno blade, similar to the MP-33, than the 32s.

Who wants to talk about Hogan irons whenever discussing Mizuno irons is much more interesting and profitable to everyone's golf game?

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    You are correct, the 37s are not a cavity back. I have not played the 37s at all and couldn't give much a review on them. Being Mizunos, they COULD feel like crap and still feel better than anything PING puts out.

I said "MP-20 something." Learn to read. Doing a bit more search, what I wanted to post was the MP-29.

MP-67s and MP-32s are nowhere the same. I do more than just "range" reviews, FD. I actually have played both for more than a year in actual rounds. To me, the 67s feel more like a true Mizuno blade, similar to the MP-33, than the 32s.

Who wants to talk about Hogan irons whenever discussing Mizuno irons is much more interesting and profitable to everyone's golf game?
    Sooner you must be a little touched. The mp 60 is a great set, just a easier to hit version of the mp 32. I've had 2 sets of 60s and one set of 32. Your beloved mp 67 is nothing but an easier to hit muscleback, lower cog. My mp 37 which I hit yesterday, are a real joy to hit when you find the sweet spot, pure bliss and a players ball flight. You might want to read the reviews on the 37 probably the highest rated mizuno blade ever. The 60 is for the golfer just learning to work the ball, with a touch of forgiveness, that wants a players ball flight.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    Sooner you must be a little touched. The mp 60 is a great set, just a easier to hit version of the mp 32. I've had 2 sets of 60s and one set of 32. Your beloved mp 67 is nothing but an easier to hit muscleback, lower cog. My mp 37 which I hit yesterday, are a real joy to hit when you find the sweet spot, pure bliss and a players ball flight. You might want to read the reviews on the 37 probably the highest rated mizuno blade ever. The 60 is for the golfer just learning to work the ball, with a touch of forgiveness, that wants a players ball flight.
    Yes, I have played the MP-60s.

Don't get me wrong about my statements, we are talking Mizunos here and we all know that the worse Mizuno iron set is still superior to all other brands, but I have been "nitpicking" a bit about the different sets. I started out on the MP-52s and am glad I did, but I have my favorites like everyone else. I haven't got to play the MP-37s yet and I am sure they are good.

Yes, I have played the MP-60s.

Don't get me wrong about my statements, we are talking Mizunos here and we all know that the worse Mizuno iron set is still superior to all other brands, but I have been "nitpicking" a bit about the different sets. I started out on the MP-52s and am glad I did, but I have my favorites like everyone else. I haven't got to play the MP-37s yet and I am sure they are good.
    There's a guy on Craigslist selling Mizuno JPX Pro irons, used 20 rounds for $500. I'm trying to get him down to $300 but he won't go below $450.

There's a guy on Craigslist selling Mizuno JPX Pro irons, used 20 rounds for $500. I'm trying to get him down to $300 but he won't go below $450.
    There's a guy on Craigslist selling a set of Mizuno MP-37's for
    $50. Minus the 7 iron. Ironfinders has a 37 7 iron for about $70. The only MP 37's I've hit have had either DG S300's or X100's in them and felt like crap. I do, however, have a set of Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts trimmed for MP 14's available. Maybe.

I was very specific on my request for feedback regarding a particular iron. If you haven't played the Ben Hogan FTX then I suggest you post elsewhere.

If you really wanna get mad, here's a guy claiming he's selling "the greatest forged irons ever made."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MINT...item4ab487c9f1

the most horrendously fugly irons ever made, the VAS 792's.

Q: Mr. Candidate, if elected what would you do to get this country back on the right track?

A: I'm glad you asked that question Meredith. We're going to mercilessly hunt down whoever it was who designed the VAS 792's, and make him a classroom teacher in Compton.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Q: Mr. Candidate, if elected what would you do to get this country back on the right track?

A: I'm glad you asked that question Meredith. We're going to mercilessly hunt down whoever it was who designed the VAS 792's, and make him a classroom teacher in Compton.
    Hey, the gutty little Bruin won the US Open with those irons and that miraculous VAS 4-wood shot on the final hole.

Like many fools before him, he accepted new equipment from PRGR and started playing their forged blades, only to never be heard from again.

I saw a set of the VAS irons with purple graphite shafts in brand new condition for $49 at Golf Mart. I put one down at address and it was the worst looking thing I'd ever seen.

The best example, though, that I've seen of a price dropping was a used set of Ray Cook Titanic Titanium irons for $29. In fact, they are still in the store at that price. When they came out in 1996 they were over $1400.

Hey, the gutty little Bruin won the US Open with those irons and that miraculous VAS 4-wood shot on the final hole.

Like many fools before him, he accepted new equipment from PRGR and started playing their forged blades, only to never be heard from again.

I saw a set of the VAS irons with purple graphite shafts in brand new condition for $49 at Golf Mart. I put one down at address and it was the worst looking thing I'd ever seen.

The best example, though, that I've seen of a price dropping was a used set of Ray Cook Titanic Titanium irons for $29. In fact, they are still in the store at that price. When they came out in 1996 they were over $1400.
    Weren't those titanium irons from Tommy Armour? A friend of mine paid full retail for them.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Don't laugh at the VAS with the purple graphite shafts. Down the road from Shinnecock Hills on Long Island where Pavin won the U.S. Open in 1995--later that same summer-- those irons were used to win the Fire Island Invitational at the Tutchmecock Meadows Club down the road from Shinnecock Hills.

the Fire Island Invitational

Very few str8's know what Fire Island's all about. It helps to have read Larry Kramer's 1979 novel, "Faggots," the mere mention of which will send young people into paroxysms of outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Very few str8's know what Fire Island's all about. It helps to have read Larry Kramer's 1979 novel, "Faggots," the mere mention of which will send young people into paroxysms of outrage.
    Never read that. Fire Island's attractiveness to the Rump Rangers was common knowledge on the East Coast where I grew up. The closest similar spot near me is Rehoboth Beach in Delaware. They took that town over a couple of decades ago and helped drive property values through the roof. But they keep their places nice and certainly won't bother you and your wife (or GF) on the beaches.

FD Goes Forged

OK, I've got a lot to report so grab a beer, some peanuts and read. First, it's an amazing coincidence that HB mentioned the Tommy Armour Titanium irons. I went to the store and, sure enough, there they were at $49 for 3-SW with graphite. I have attached a photo so let me know if you can't see it. I have never seen a used set of these before.

Next, I acquired a set of Hogan Apex FTX irons, 3-PW, Hogan #4 shafts, original grips, 8.5/10 condition AND a set of Mizuno MP-30 irons, 4-PW, Dynalite Gold R300 shafts in 8/10 condition. Both sets for $210 total after much haggling. In case you're wondering, a Hogan #4 shaft is very similar to Dynalite Gold Stiff. Easier to hit than Dynamic Gold.

I also saw a set of Mizuno MX-17s with Graphite R shafts, Mizuno MX-23 with Dynalite Gold R300 and Big Bertha 2002 w/ Firm graphite. In the simulator, I tried all of these irons up against the FTXs and the MP-30's and they were all shorter in distance. The Bertha's were by far the worst and the MX-23 was at least 10 yards shorter than the Hogans. The most solid shots with the game improvement irons were definitely shorter than the forged cavity backs.

They also had a set of good condition MP-32 irons for $169 but they needed new grips and had DGS 300 shafts, a little stiff and heavy.

What's interesting is that the shaft length of the Hogan's is 1/4 inch shorter than all of the other irons but I actually hit them longer than the game improvement irons.

If you can't see the photo try Firefox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x ray cook 1.jpg 
Views:	775 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	2813  

Here's another photo of the Tommy Armour Titanium Irons and I misspoke earlier. It's 10 irons for $49.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x ray cook 2.jpg 
Views:	779 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	2814  

OK, I've got a lot to report so grab a beer, some peanuts and read. First, it's an amazing coincidence that HB mentioned the Tommy Armour Titanium irons. I went to the store and, sure enough, there they were at $49 for 3-SW with graphite. I have attached a photo so let me know if you can't see it. I have never seen a used set of these before.

Next, I acquired a set of Hogan Apex FTX irons, 3-PW, Hogan #4 shafts, original grips, 8.5/10 condition AND a set of Mizuno MP-30 irons, 4-PW, Dynalite Gold R300 shafts in 8/10 condition. Both sets for $210 total after much haggling. In case you're wondering, a Hogan #4 shaft is very similar to Dynalite Gold Stiff. Easier to hit than Dynamic Gold.

I also saw a set of Mizuno MX-17s with Graphite R shafts, Mizuno MX-23 with Dynalite Gold R300 and Big Bertha 2002 w/ Firm graphite. In the simulator, I tried all of these irons up against the FTXs and the MP-30's and they were all shorter in distance. The Bertha's were by far the worst and the MX-23 was at least 10 yards shorter than the Hogans. The most solid shots with the game improvement irons were definitely shorter than the forged cavity backs.

They also had a set of good condition MP-32 irons for $169 but they needed new grips and had DGS 300 shafts, a little stiff and heavy.

What's interesting is that the shaft length of the Hogan's is 1/4 inch shorter than all of the other irons but I actually hit them longer than the game improvement irons.

If you can't see the photo try Firefox.
    Your swing must have been funny and your brain told you that the Hogans were going to be in your bag because the 2002 BB's with stiff graphite shafts were about the longest irons I've ever hit. At the range one night when those clubs were new, 20 years ago, I remember the guy next to me had a brand new set. After awhile, he asked if I would like to hit a couple of them. Although they looked like total crap to me since I was heavily into my Palmer Standards, I took the BB 7 and was flying it around 170 where my forged blade 7 was about at 150 with the same swing. The only other BB I hit was his 1 iron. I hit 10 of those in a row carrying each one around 230 with about 10 yards sideways deviation hitting both gentle fades and baby hooks. If you would take all those sets out to some grass, I about guarantee you the MX 23's are at least a club longer than most of the others. Their offsets required me to spend a little time dialing in ball position but once I got it right, the things just took off and flew forever.

Your swing must have been funny and your brain told you that the Hogans were going to be in your bag because the 2002 BB's with stiff graphite shafts were about the longest irons I've ever hit. At the range one night when those clubs were new, 20 years ago, I remember the guy next to me had a brand new set. After awhile, he asked if I would like to hit a couple of them. Although they looked like total crap to me since I was heavily into my Palmer Standards, I took the BB 7 and was flying it around 170 where my forged blade 7 was about at 150 with the same swing. The only other BB I hit was his 1 iron. I hit 10 of those in a row carrying each one around 230 with about 10 yards sideways deviation hitting both gentle fades and baby hooks. If you would take all those sets out to some grass, I about guarantee you the MX 23's are at least a club longer than most of the others. Their offsets required me to spend a little time dialing in ball position but once I got it right, the things just took off and flew forever.
    Mongrel, you're always good for an astute response but this time you're wrong. I owned a set of the Callaway Big Bertha 2002 irons and played several rounds with them. While they were forgiving I also found them to be extremely short in distance. This was the uniflex version but I experienced the same thing today in the simulator.

Second, the MX-23 is known to be short and many people have stated that they experienced a loss in distance after switching to it. If you read some of the reviews on this website and on WRX you will see that to be the case.

I also have a quick swing that doesn't lend itself well to graphite shafts.

Anyway, I was not being biased because, quite frankly, I really liked the look of the Mizuno MX-17 irons with graphite shafts and I actually wanted to buy those because they had them for $79 in good shape. The MX-23s were in like new condition so I also wanted to like those as well.

Almost forgot, I also tried a set of like new Nike Victory Red Cavity backs with DG s300 and they felt like crap and went nowhere. Thumbs down.

Mongrel, you're always good for an astute response but this time you're wrong. I owned a set of the Callaway Big Bertha 2002 irons and played several rounds with them. While they were forgiving I also found them to be extremely short in distance. This was the uniflex version but I experienced the same thing today in the simulator.

Second, the MX-23 is known to be short and many people have stated that they experienced a loss in distance after switching to it. If you read some of the reviews on this website and on WRX you will see that to be the case.

I also have a quick swing that doesn't lend itself well to graphite shafts.

Anyway, I was not being biased because, quite frankly, I really liked the look of the Mizuno MX-17 irons with graphite shafts and I actually wanted to buy those because they had them for $79 in good shape. The MX-23s were in like new condition so I also wanted to like those as well.

Almost forgot, I also tried a set of like new Nike Victory Red Cavity backs with DG s300 and they felt like crap and went nowhere. Thumbs down.
    The Big Bertha irons I hit had copper color heads and very stiff graphite shafts that took about as much swing effort as the Dynamic Gold S300's I had in my Palmers. My MX 23 opinions are based on my personal observations from hitting all of them outdoors on fields where I have measured exact distances between targets. I compared them directly against my MP 14's and Titleist 755's which I sold (well, I sold the heads but still have the shafts.) The Tits had jacked up lofts similar to the MX 23's and lighter SL shafts that I hit high and farther than the MP 14's. I think a good part of it is that my MX's-- 20's and 23's-- have the Dynalite regulars that are about perfect for my swing abilities and I made them all 1/2" longer than spec and they are all just about right on swingweight-wise.

The Big Bertha irons I hit had copper color heads and very stiff graphite shafts that took about as much swing effort as the Dynamic Gold S300's I had in my Palmers. My MX 23 opinions are based on my personal observations from hitting all of them outdoors on fields where I have measured exact distances between targets. I compared them directly against my MP 14's and Titleist 755's which I sold (well, I sold the heads but still have the shafts.) The Tits had jacked up lofts similar to the MX 23's and lighter SL shafts that I hit high and farther than the MP 14's. I think a good part of it is that my MX's-- 20's and 23's-- have the Dynalite regulars that are about perfect for my swing abilities and I made them all 1/2" longer than spec and they are all just about right on swingweight-wise.
    OK, you are speaking of the Callaway 1996 Big Bertha Gold irons with RCH 96 graphite shafts. Those are quite a bit different than the 2002 model. I was very surprised that both the MX-17 and MX-23 didn't fly further than the MP-30 or FTX. I was especially surprised that the MX-17 graphites didn't fly that far.

To each his own. I'm sure if you took most of the people on this forum and had an iron test you'd get all kinds of varying distance results. Some people would hit a particular iron short while another person would hit that same iron the longest.

OK, you are speaking of the Callaway 1996 Big Bertha Gold irons with RCH 96 graphite shafts. Those are quite a bit different than the 2002 model. I was very surprised that both the MX-17 and MX-23 didn't fly further than the MP-30 or FTX. I was especially surprised that the MX-17 graphites didn't fly that far.

To each his own. I'm sure if you took most of the people on this forum and had an iron test you'd get all kinds of varying distance results. Some people would hit a particular iron short while another person would hit that same iron the longest.
    I guess that's what they were. I hit them so well that I would have bought a set except they were over $1,000 and I was in the middle of heavy child support payments. But they were really butt-ugly heads.

If I remember you said your a low ball hitter? If that's the case you tend to deloft the club some, your hands must be forward quite a bit. Which keeps you from ballooning your mx clubs. Fd probably keeps his hands more neutral, and tends to hit GI clubs a little higher and loses some distance. I agree that after playing mx 23s for quite a few years there easily among the longest. clubs I've hit, with dynalite r300 shafts, I can only imagine with graphite. Did I ever tell you about a par 3 on a course none of us had played, everyone in my foursome was swinging 6-7 irons, and they were all long. The pin was tucked, in front was a trap, you had to hit something high and hard. I pulled a 9 iron mx-23 everyone thought I was nuts, and bet I wouldnt make the trap, well I rattled the flag, the hole claimed 163 yards, but the pin was in front and downhill. I've read the reviews Fd is speaking of, and most of them are newbies that recently switched from some sgi cast pos shovels that couldn't find the hole after Lorenzo warmed it up for them.
    I have Hogans 5 lessons and a 3 or 4 disc bio on him and the Hogan mystique. I agree He seems like a total fuktard.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

What about Ben Curtis?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    What about Ben Curtis?
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie View Post
    no, that looks more like shaun McCeal, the other no name from that year who fluked a major.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie View Post
    Todd Hamilton's caddie?

Hogan ... seems like a total fuktard.

In 1990 somone introduced Gary McCord to Hogan. Hogan asked, "what have you won?" McCord answered he hadn't won a tournament yet. Hogan said, "then what's the point?"

Range Test: Hogan FTX vs. Mizuno MP-30

Good afternoon. The following is a summation of my observations whilst range testing said clubs:

MP-30: These clubs feel great. Very solid feel to them. The shaft has no label but it looks just like a Dynalite Gold S-300 or R-300 shaft. Feels like it too. At the store it was simply labeled "R" flex. These clubs look great at address and line up perfectly. It was a little difficult testing them because they have midsize grips and are an inch longer than standard. I will cut them back tonight and install new grips. One of the best looking Mizuno irons I've seen.

Hogan FTX: Fantastic feel, easy to swing and surprisingly long considering that they are 1/4 inch shorter than standard length for most irons. The shaft felt nice and soft yet it provided a penetrating trajectory that was lower than the MP-30. I was hitting the 8 iron about 10 yards longer than my Ping Eye 2.

I then took the FTX 5 iron out of the bag, which is a cavity back rather than blade (like the 8 iron) and I couldn't believe how I was hitting it. Great distance with a perfect trajectory and I can really feel the shaft flex and come back into the ball. It just feels perfect. It almost feels as if I was custom fitted for these irons. I don't know that I've ever hit an iron before that felt so perfectly suited to my swing.

Can't wait to play them.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 02-29-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Good afternoon. The following is a summation of my observations whilst range testing said clubs:

MP-30: These clubs feel great. Very solid feel to them. The shaft has no label but it looks just like a Dynalite Gold S-300 or R-300 shaft. Feels like it too. At the store it was simply labeled "R" flex. These clubs look great at address and line up perfectly. It was a little difficult testing them because they have midsize grips and are an inch longer than standard. I will cut them back tonight and install new grips. One of the best looking Mizuno irons I've seen.

Hogan FTX: Fantastic feel, easy to swing and surprisingly long considering that they are 1/4 inch shorter than standard length for most irons. The shaft felt nice and soft yet it provided a penetrating trajectory that was lower than the MP-30. I was hitting the 8 iron about 10 yards longer than my Ping Eye 2.

I then took the FTX 5 iron out of the bag, which is a cavity back rather than blade (like the 8 iron) and I couldn't believe how I was hitting it. Great distance with a perfect trajectory and I can really feel the shaft flex and come back into the ball. It just feels perfect. It almost feels as if I was custom fitted for these irons. I don't know that I've ever hit an iron before that felt so perfectly suited to my swing.

Can't wait to play them.
    FD, before you cut them down, you might want to determine their swingweight as they likely have the lighter B heads Mizuno uses for over length irons. Cutting them down may upset their weight balance which to me, is the secret to Mizuno's feel, and performance. I sold a really nice set of 1" over length MX23's rather than screw up the design, and then try to tack lead tape on them without getting the the intended feel back. My MP30's swingweight at D4 for reference, and they are standard length.

If I remember you said your a low ball hitter? If that's the case you tend to deloft the club some, your hands must be forward quite a bit. Which keeps you from ballooning your mx clubs. Fd probably keeps his hands more neutral, and tends to hit GI clubs a little higher and loses some distance. I agree that after playing mx 23s for quite a few years there easily among the longest. clubs I've hit, with dynalite r300 shafts, I can only imagine with graphite. Did I ever tell you about a par 3 on a course none of us had played, everyone in my foursome was swinging 6-7 irons, and they were all long. The pin was tucked, in front was a trap, you had to hit something high and hard. I pulled a 9 iron mx-23 everyone thought I was nuts, and bet I wouldnt make the trap, well I rattled the flag, the hole claimed 163 yards, but the pin was in front and downhill. I've read the reviews Fd is speaking of, and most of them are newbies that recently switched from some sgi cast pos shovels that couldn't find the hole after Lorenzo warmed it up for them.
    I have Hogans 5 lessons and a 3 or 4 disc bio on him and the Hogan mystique. I agree He seems like a total fuktard.

I checked out the reviews for the Mizuno MX-23. There are 162 reviews. I read the first 5 reviews and two of the reviewers stated that the irons were shorter in distance than normal. If you were to use this as a sample (2 out of 5) that would correlate to 64.8 of the reviewers believing that the MX-23 irons are shorter than normal. That's 40% and enough for me to say "thanks but no thanks".

It may be due to the extreme offset and gigantic size of the face.

I checked out the reviews for the Mizuno MX-23. There are 162 reviews. I read the first 5 reviews and two of the reviewers stated that the irons were shorter in distance than normal. If you were to use this as a sample (2 out of 5) that would correlate to 64.8 of the reviewers believing that the MX-23 irons are shorter than normal. That's 40% and enough for me to say "thanks but no thanks".

It may be due to the extreme offset and gigantic size of the face.
    where the hell that you learned a sampling population of 5 would represent the statistic? did you go to the same HS with Lerry? I got MX-23 a few months ago and I could tell that - even with my lousy swing - it's longer than my Cally 2002 BB , and I know that I hit BB very well... different strokes for different folks... I may not score any better, but I can attest that it's longer - at least 1/2 club to 1 club longer than 2002 BB

That kind of thinking means that since at least 7 out of 10 people on this site figure Ping Eye 2s are the ugliest iron ever made is good enough for me. (Always thought so anyway)
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Plus the 23's have a better rating than Ping Eye 2s
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

where the hell that you learned a sampling population of 5 would represent the statistic? did you go to the same HS with Lerry? I got MX-23 a few months ago and I could tell that - even with my lousy swing - it's longer than my Cally 2002 BB , and I know that I hit BB very well... different strokes for different folks... I may not score any better, but I can attest that it's longer - at least 1/2 club to 1 club longer than 2002 BB
    OK so I was a little lazy in my data gathering.

However, I do have a question for you. Are you stating for the record that Mongrel can hit a MX-23 7-iron 180 yards? Earlier in this thread he proclaimed that he was hitting another guy's 2002 big bertha 7-iron 170 yards. You just claimed that the MX-23 irons are 1 club longer than the 2002 BB. Therefore, your logic dictates that Mongrel can hit the MX-23 7 iron longer than most touring pros. Man, I'd like to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    FD, before you cut them down, you might want to determine their swingweight as they likely have the lighter B heads Mizuno uses for over length irons. Cutting them down may upset their weight balance which to me, is the secret to Mizuno's feel, and performance. I sold a really nice set of 1" over length MX23's rather than screw up the design, and then try to tack lead tape on them without getting the the intended feel back. My MP30's swingweight at D4 for reference, and they are standard length.
    My wife got me a set of MX 20's for Christmas from Ebay. The were $69 for 5-PW with the shafts I needed but 2" over. So I pulled the grips and discovered that each iron had a 2" aluminum extension glued to the butt. I cut all the extensions off, put new 50 gram grips on them and they all swingweighted in the D3-D5 range from 5 to PW, just where I like them. I already had MX 23 4-7 irons 1/2" over from the factory and, when I pulled those shafts, found lead tip weights in the tips of the shafts that I torched and pulled. They weighed 4-8 grams each, factory installed. So if he needs to weight the heads, just pull the shafts and stick the appropriate lead tip weight in the end. Another way to increase the swingweight would just be to install lighter grips. Swapping a light Winn at 28 grams for the 50 gram factory grip will raise the swingweight 4-5 steps.

However, I do have a question for you. Are you stating for the record that Mongrel can hit a MX-23 7-iron 180 yards? Earlier in this thread he proclaimed that he was hitting another guy's 2002 big bertha 7-iron 170 yards. You just claimed that the MX-23 irons are 1 club longer than the 2002 BB. Therefore, your logic dictates that Mongrel can hit the MX-23 7 iron longer than most touring pros. Man, I'd like to see that.
    I don't question your level of intelligence, I just say that a sampling of 5 is not sufficient for me to make any kind of conclusion... As far as MX-23 vs. 2002 BB , I just talk about my experience... Mongrel or you or anyone else would be different, that's why I said different strokes for different folks, we don't have the same swing so I am not good enough to comment on others

You observed that the BB irons I described came out in 1996 and the guy they belonged to who let me hit them said that they were new. So I was then 49 years old. In a week I will be 65. I hit the ball quite a bit stronger in 1996 than I do now. I can't hit the MX 23 7 iron or my MX 20 7 iron 170 off the mats in the Golf Galaxy simulator but I can and do outside off the turf on the fields I practice on. The turf there is not like a closely mown quality fairway so I would add a couple of yards for the flyer factor. I will add that off short tees, these irons are the best I've ever hit tee'd up. With all other irons, I will lose distance off tees because I can't seem to get the full compression hit. With these I do. But that's just me.

My sentiments exactly Ky. I walked 9 today, I carried the 5-pw z-101 and the the z wedges, the 905r, well everything in my sig. The z-101 are a full club shorter then my mx clubs, maybe a little more actually, which really doesn't bother me, as you just adjust, and enjoy. I like the mx or comp ez so much, and my swing is a little rusty, they may have to go in the bag awhile. But the TourStage wedges are very impressive, they seem to have a little more swing weight and the dg spinner shafts are awesome, so far I like them, but admittedly I only played 9 holes with them. On less then full swings they stop now, on full swings they spin back every time.
    Fd doesn't get it, but the mx clubs on trackman have a very high smash factor which equates to more distance. I'm glad your liking your mx-23s in the long run I bet your scores will go down. The forgiveness with distance control is there strengths, and even though there a little large you can work them.
    I'm glad Fd is liking his hogans in a simulator, but how long is that going to last?

My sentiments exactly Ky. I walked 9 today, I carried the 5-pw z-101 and the the z wedges, the 905r, well everything in my sig. The z-101 are a full club shorter then my mx clubs, maybe a little more actually, which really doesn't bother me, as you just adjust, and enjoy. I like the mx or comp ez so much, and my swing is a little rusty, they may have to go in the bag awhile. But the TourStage wedges are very impressive, they seem to have a little more swing weight and the dg spinner shafts are awesome, so far I like them, but admittedly I only played 9 holes with them. On less then full swings they stop now, on full swings they spin back every time.
    Fd doesn't get it, but the mx clubs on trackman have a very high smash factor which equates to more distance. I'm glad your liking your mx-23s in the long run I bet your scores will go down. The forgiveness with distance control is there strengths, and even though there a little large you can work them.
    I'm glad Fd is liking his hogans in a simulator, but how long is that going to last?
    No, I get it. I have to remember that you can't read someone's inflection or expression when reading a post. I'm just giving you a hard time. The MX line is as good as any and actually better than a lot because of the feel.

As for the Hogans, I did try them on the range today and will take them on the course this Sunday.

No, I get it. I have to remember that you can't read someone's inflection or expression when reading a post. I'm just giving you a hard time. The MX line is as good as any and actually better than a lot because of the feel.

As for the Hogans, I did try them on the range today and will take them on the course this Sunday.
    Et tu Brute? I'm just messin with you Fd.
    Hogan was still a fuktard. A damn good golfer though.
    By the way on another subject. What's this crap I heard on the news Hank Haney said Tiger wanted to be a navy seal? Can Tiger even swim?

Et tu Brute? I'm just messin with you Fd.
    Hogan was still a fuktard. A damn good golfer though.
    By the way on another subject. What's this crap I heard on the news Hank Haney said Tiger wanted to be a navy seal? Can Tiger even swim?
    I saw that on TV last night too... What's up with that?

I saw that on TV last night too... What's up with that?
    That's an entire new thread's worth of this, that and the other thing, and I'm sure the entire World will get its knickers caught up in it. The only thing I can say about it is 1: I understand where Tiger's coming from with his father's background; and #2, Tiger would have been physically and mentally capable of making the cut except for maybe his eyesight. However, he would have needed some preparation prior to entering SEAL training. Like a couple of years in the regular Navy as an enlisted swabby is the typical drill. No officer route for him since he didn't bother to get his degree from Stanford. Not that I would blame him for that. I say "Go for the gold now and get the papers later."

Got to agree with you on this mongrel. I actually think he would have been a pretty good at it.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Got to agree with you on this mongrel. I actually think he would have been a pretty good at it.
    What I've read is that Tiger once mentioned to that idiot Hank Haney that he thought about joining the NAVY and becoming a SEAL. I think it was just something he was interested in doing.

At the Honda during the press conference, a reporter named Alex Maceli (sp?) kept badgering Tiger about it and wanted him to discuss the SEAL thing. Tiger said it was old news and that it was right there in the book and didn't want to talk about it. The reporter kept pushing for an answer and Tiger said something like "you're beautiful, you know that. Next question".

It's really not even news. Just another reporter and Tiger having a stand off. I think they both acted inappropriately.

What I've read is that Tiger once mentioned to that idiot Hank Haney that he thought about joining the NAVY and becoming a SEAL. I think it was just something he was interested in doing.

At the Honda during the press conference, a reporter named Alex Maceli (sp?) kept badgering Tiger about it and wanted him to discuss the SEAL thing. Tiger said it was old news and that it was right there in the book and didn't want to talk about it. The reporter kept pushing for an answer and Tiger said something like "you're beautiful, you know that. Next question".

It's really not even news. Just another reporter and Tiger having a stand off. I think they both acted inappropriately.
    That's Alex Miceli, a Golf Channel regular. Wears a bow tie. When a guy wears a bow tie, my dick-for radar activates. He is one of the newer breed of "Golf Journalists". I have a journalistic background in education and work experience. How anyone can employ the basic five "w's" and an "h" news formula to golf is beyond me. Instead of trying to provide a few minute's worth of video showing a p*ssed off Tiger dissing his former coach, the Golf Journalists should be doing real investigative reporting. Like a "Ball on the Fairway" series. Stroll along the 8th hole with your camerman and sound tech and there's a Pro V1 number 3 lying six feet from the first cut of rough on the right side of the fairway on a short par 4. Pertinent questions of newsworthy interest would be "What were you hit with to get here?". The Titleist might respond with "3 wood, but that's the first drive so far that he's managed to get me onto the short stuff." Next question should be "What's next for you today?" The ball might respond "Well, I'm 127 from the pin but there's a right to left swale in the middle of the green so if he can land me about 105 on the right side with draw spin, I could probably sashay on over to about two feet right under the hole". Reporter: "How likely is that?" Ball" "Well, he's tried to smash me ten to twenty yards farther than he's capable of every wedge shot so far so I presume he' gonna take his 58* Spin Milled, play me back to the right of his Johnson, and hit down on my back like he's trying to decapitate me. However, his new wedges ain't got the old grooves so I might get to go for a swim unless he pulls off a 102 yard carry. I wouldn't be on that."

That would be good golf journalistic material.

Actually I like the way Tiger shut her up. Score one for political incorrectness.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Why the forged over the non-forged? I haven't played the "pro" model, but if it is like the other Mizuno models you likely will not get better feel since it is a cavity back, but you may very well lose some yardage. I would suggest going with the non-pro model and taking advantage of the extra yardage. Plus, if you decide to keep them a long time, they will stay in great shape longer than a forged club.

Why the forged over the non-forged? I haven't played the "pro" model, but if it is like the other Mizuno models you likely will not get better feel since it is a cavity back, but you may very well lose some yardage. I would suggest going with the non-pro model and taking advantage of the extra yardage. Plus, if you decide to keep them a long time, they will stay in great shape longer than a forged club.

Good point. The reason I was attempting the forged model was because they were on Craigslist. I actually like the look of the cast JPX 800 and when I pick one up it just looks good to me.

On another note, I tried a Mizuno MP-60 7 iron with Dynamic Gold R300 shaft today in the simulator and it felt incredible. I've heard bad things about them though. Very tempting at $149 minus 20% off today only.

I think all this extra yardage is a bunch of crap. I would bet that even though you hit your modern 9 as far as your old 7 you would also have the same accuracy. If you are hitting a club 150 it wont matter what number is stamped on it, it will still have the same accuracy dispersion of your old club with a diferent number. In actuality hitting your 9 iron 160 may be detremental as you will have gap problems at the pointy end oc your scoring clubs. Extra distance is only beneficial with driver. In your irons it causes as many problems as it solves. Purelyfor show ponies.

I think all this extra yardage is a bunch of crap. I would bet that even though you hit your modern 9 as far as your old 7 you would also have the same accuracy. If you are hitting a club 150 it wont matter what number is stamped on it, it will still have the same accuracy dispersion of your old club with a diferent number. In actuality hitting your 9 iron 160 may be detremental as you will have gap problems at the pointy end oc your scoring clubs. Extra distance is only beneficial with driver. In your irons it causes as many problems as it solves. Purelyfor show ponies.
    Um, did it ever occur to you that a 9 iron shaft is shorter in length and easier to control than a 7 iron shaft?

Um, did it ever occur to you that a 9 iron shaft is shorter in length and easier to control than a 7 iron shaft?
    That was the point I was going to make. Glad I don't have to make the effort now.

Good point. The reason I was attempting the forged model was because they were on Craigslist. I actually like the look of the cast JPX 800 and when I pick one up it just looks good to me.

On another note, I tried a Mizuno MP-60 7 iron with Dynamic Gold R300 shaft today in the simulator and it felt incredible. I've heard bad things about them though. Very tempting at $149 minus 20% off today only.
    The only ones I've hit have had S300's or X100's or Rifle 6.5's and they all felt like crap. Now if they had regular flex shafts like R300's or Dynalite Gold R300's like I have in my MX's, things may have been different. At that price, you should jump on those sticks ASAP because they're $225+ on Ebay and any Mizuno forged clubs with regular flex shafts tend to sell for more than those with stiff ones.

The only ones I've hit have had S300's or X100's or Rifle 6.5's and they all felt like crap. Now if they had regular flex shafts like R300's or Dynalite Gold R300's like I have in my MX's, things may have been different. At that price, you should jump on those sticks ASAP because they're $225+ on Ebay and any Mizuno forged clubs with regular flex shafts tend to sell for more than those with stiff ones.
    Mongrel, I'm going to. You have me thinking differently about clubs and shafts. After hitting a set with Dynalite Golds and then, today, feeling what MP-60s feel like with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts, I am beginning to realize how important a role the shaft plays in the performance of an iron. When I was hitting them in the simulator they felt absolutely perfect and solid; like I was compressing the ball and sending it on an optimal trajectory. It was better than...well, you know.

I played the MP-60s for two rounds ( a buddy was trying to sell them to me) and I ended up buying a new set of MP-52s because I read where they were a bit more forgiving than the MP-60s and I was still chopping away in hackerville back then shooting in the 90s all the time. What I found out is that there is not much difference between hitting the MP-60s and the MP-52s. They both require a good swing, which I didn't have back then, but the MP-52s made me develop a better swing which led to better things and better clubs (MP-33s and 67s).

Yes it did occur to me numb nuts. My point was that its distance from the green which affects accracy more than what club you have in your hand.
    There, is that in simple enough terms for you and sooner's pea brains to understand?
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 03-02-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Mongrel, I'm going to. You have me thinking differently about clubs and shafts. After hitting a set with Dynalite Golds and then, today, feeling what MP-60s feel like with Dynamic Gold R300 shafts, I am beginning to realize how important a role the shaft plays in the performance of an iron. When I was hitting them in the simulator they felt absolutely perfect and solid; like I was compressing the ball and sending it on an optimal trajectory. It was better than...well, you know.
    I really enjoyed my time with the mp 60s. I believe there miles ahead of the mp 52 set I had. I probably would still have them, if not for the px shafts, which only bothered me in the long irons. My idea of a perfect set would be the 60s in the pw-8 the 57s in the 6-7 and the mx or comp ez in the 3-5. A heavenly set if shafted in r300, I tried telling you years ago about the dynalite r300 truly a great shaft.
    I can swing pretty hard still, but why, as irons are about consistent distance, and knowing exactly where it's ending up. The lessons I had, my teaching pro liked everything about my setup, hands he always praised what I did. My main problem was I would swing to hard, and not finish correctly. I now swing 80 percent with my irons, and love the r300.

I really enjoyed my time with the mp 60s. I believe there miles ahead of the mp 52 set I had. I probably would still have them, if not for the px shafts, which only bothered me in the long irons. My idea of a perfect set would be the 60s in the pw-8 the 57s in the 6-7 and the mx or comp ez in the 3-5. A heavenly set if shafted in r300, I tried telling you years ago about the dynalite r300 truly a great shaft.
    I can swing pretty hard still, but why, as irons are about consistent distance, and knowing exactly where it's ending up. The lessons I had, my teaching pro liked everything about my setup, hands he always praised what I did. My main problem was I would swing to hard, and not finish correctly. I now swing 80 percent with my irons, and love the r300.
    I agree, in part. I have played R300 shafts for many years, however in Dynamic Gold; Dynalite Gold in the past spun too much for me as I am a high ball flighter. However, the last time I tried them was 10 years ago so I should audition again. Does anyone know what the newer XP profile is like and how they differ to previous Dynalite Gold models?

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    I agree, in part. I have played R300 shafts for many years, however in Dynamic Gold; Dynalite Gold in the past spun too much for me as I am a high ball flighter. However, the last time I tried them was 10 years ago so I should audition again. Does anyone know what the newer XP profile is like and how they differ to previous Dynalite Gold models?
    I just hit a few Mizuno irons with XP shafts. I have read that the XP profile was made exclusively for Mizuno a couple of years ago and was the stock shaft in their MX 200's and now TT is selling it to the public. The shaft may be a few grams lighter than the Dynalite Golds and may have a slightly softer tip. Since I have dialed in my MX 20's and 23's with Dynalite Gold R300's, I'll stand on those cards at least for awhile. However I'm always curious so if a cheap set of MP 60 heads would present itself to me, I might be tempted to try the XP's in them.

I just hit a few Mizuno irons with XP shafts. I have read that the XP profile was made exclusively for Mizuno a couple of years ago and was the stock shaft in their MX 200's and now TT is selling it to the public. The shaft may be a few grams lighter than the Dynalite Golds and may have a slightly softer tip. Since I have dialed in my MX 20's and 23's with Dynalite Gold R300's, I'll stand on those cards at least for awhile. However I'm always curious so if a cheap set of MP 60 heads would present itself to me, I might be tempted to try the XP's in them.
    Seems Op played the xp shafts in mx 300 I believe he said liked the shaft.

Yes it did occur to me numb nuts. My point was that its distance from the green which affects accracy more than what club you have in your hand.
    There, is that in simple enough terms for you and sooner's pea brains to understand?
    I take great offense to this. I have worked hard doing mental exercises over the past year and have increased my brain size to roughly the size of a walnut. Which, as you would know already, is still much larger than the average size of those living in and around the city of Sydney, Australia.

Seems Op played the xp shafts in mx 300 I believe he said liked the shaft.
    Curiosity getting the better of me, I just went to the True Temper website to check the step patterns of the Dynalite XP taper tip shafts to compare them with the Dynalite Golds. Of course the company deleted the latter patterns from their site since they retired the line but I had printed out the patterns of shafts now retired last year so I dug that one up and compared them. There is a difference that would affect the flex and feel of the shaft. From the butt end, the shafts are the same until about the middle where the Dynalite Golds have 9 steps of 1.25" each and then a parallel section to the end of the tip which gets progressively longer from the PW shaft at 37" raw to 14.5" for the 2 iron shaft at 41". The XP's have 7 steps of 1.25" and then two steps of 1" each next to the same parallel tip section. So there is an extra bend point next to the tip. Fortunately, there should be enough new old stock of Dynalite Golds around that if you break one, you should be able to replace it.

Thread Information