|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: MP-30 Redux

MP-30 Redux

In 2008, I was introduced to GFF by my son who bought me a use set of MP30's for my birthday. Although the set was 5 years old at that point, the previous owner was a scratch golfer and had kept them in good shape with new NDMC grips every year etc. After the 1st year of playing them, while enjoying some of the best GIR's I had experienced in a while, I started looking for a mint set to keep for when this set wore out. Well, the set was showing a lot of wear as I played them everyday, practiced with them also, but had not come across another set to replace them. I sold them, which I immediately regretted, but thought I could replace them with something else, hence the Adams Idea Pros, Comp EZ's, etc. The Comp EZ's are good, but just whetted my appetite for more GFF. I had all but given up on finding another set of 30's in near new condition, so I was looking at snagging a set of 58's.

Then this....for the eyes of GFF faithful...

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the 7 iron which shows the most wear. Previous owner claimed one season and about a dozen rounds.

Looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    In 2008, I was introduced to GFF by my son who bought me a use set of MP30's for my birthday. Although the set was 5 years old at that point, the previous owner was a scratch golfer and had kept them in good shape with new NDMC grips every year etc. After the 1st year of playing them, while enjoying some of the best GIR's I had experienced in a while, I started looking for a mint set to keep for when this set wore out. Well, the set was showing a lot of wear as I played them everyday, practiced with them also, but had not come across another set to replace them. I sold them, which I immediately regretted, but thought I could replace them with something else, hence the Adams Idea Pros, Comp EZ's, etc. The Comp EZ's are good, but just whetted my appetite for more GFF. I had all but given up on finding another set of 30's in near new condition, so I was looking at snagging a set of 58's.

Then this....for the eyes of GFF faithful...

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the 7 iron which shows the most wear. Previous owner claimed one season and about a dozen rounds.
    I just got a set of these myself although they are nowhere near in as good a shape as yours. I think it's one of the best MP CB irons they've ever come out with. This iron actually came out when Mizuno was just starting to get back into chrome plated forgings. I'm pretty sure they came out a year before the MP-33s (Mizuno's most successful selling blade).

Mizuno struggled for a bit in 1994 & 1995 when they came out with the TC-29 series that was a complete failure. I owned a set and they were a full club short of anything else I tried at the time. They then went through a faze where they had a Titanium Irons set and strange looking drivers. Then, finally, they came out with the T-Zoid Pro forged iron that was a huge success. Ever since then they've been doing things right, with the exception of their drivers which are much too difficult to hit for the average golfer.

Sweet looking sticks. Congrats on finding them.

My first foray into GFF was a mixed set of MP30 3-5 and MP33 6-PW. I liked the MP30's a lot and always wondered about playing a full set of them. Now I have the MP58's which I am very happy with.

It's funny because a lot of opinions I read about MP30's was that they had a very small sweet spot and were tough and unforgiving to hit. Dorkman in particular was a very vocal critic calling them a 'dog' and arguing that later models like the MP60 and MP57 were much better. But I never found that and I loved hitting mine.

I was sorely tempted to get the MP62s the past couple of years as they seemed like the most logical successor in terms of look and design but eventually settled on the MP58s after reading some great reviews and also getting them at a great price.

Congrats and enjoy.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information