|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

U.S. Open - Rate The Media

I was playing golf during the Open, so I listened on the radio. I'm not sure it was Kratzert, but ESPN had a guy describing the action who would constantly say, "down and through" as a player was completing a swing, as if that painted some kind of word picture for the listerner. You'd think somebody in management would have said, "please stop that." Curtis Strange has the most annoying accent I've ever heard -he can't do 'i'. 'Time' is 'Tom', Mile' is 'mahl'' and 'highlight' is 'haghlaht'. I found myself pining for Nick Faldo, realizing that horrid pronunciation is far the worse torture than lame jokes. By the way, Johnny Miller basically predicted Webb Simpson two months ago, during some other tournament, when he asked, "does this guy ever miss a shot?"

Johnny Miller. If he were to be hit by a bus today, it would greatly improve the overall media coverage. His know-it-all bullshittery is even annoying to his cohorts, not to mention the rest of the public. What an annoying a-hole.
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Chris Berman is a disaster. The producers who allow him to cover golf should be fired immediately.
    I keeps it real.

Johnny Miller does know it all when it comes to U.S. Open golf and playing in San Francisco. He can stay. The rest of them need to go and the entire ESPN network with Berman and that annoying little f*ggot Costas needs to go also. I would rather have to endure Kelly Tilghman, Nobilo and Charlie than the ESPN insects. NBC was pretty bad although when the fog came in they couldn't use the blimp. Faldo would be a welcome addition as would Feherty and I would love to have Trevino's commentary from time to time.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

The golf itself was too disappointing for me to notice the TV medium commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Johnny Miller does know it all when it comes to U.S. Open golf and playing in San Francisco. He can stay. The rest of them need to go and the entire ESPN network with Berman and that annoying little f*ggot Costas needs to go also. I would rather have to endure Kelly Tilghman, Nobilo and Charlie than the ESPN insects. NBC was pretty bad although when the fog came in they couldn't use the blimp. Faldo would be a welcome addition as would Feherty and I would love to have Trevino's commentary from time to time.
    Apparently you've been listening to that blowhard d-bag for long enough that you believe his BS. The rest of the crew called him out on stupid comments a dozen times yesterday, because even they think he's coming off as an idiot.

He sits there in the commentators booth, pontificating on how each player *should* be hitting every shot. I'm sorry, but i don't even want Jack or Arnie going to that length. At points I just wish he'd STFU. The rest were fine with me, so long as Miller wasn't vomiting his expertise.

I'd love to see and hear more of Feherty. Funniest voice in golf.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Quote Originally Posted by wofat View Post
    Apparently you've been listening to that blowhard d-bag for long enough that you believe his BS. The rest of the crew called him out on stupid comments a dozen times yesterday, because even they think he's coming off as an idiot.

He sits there in the commentators booth, pontificating on how each player *should* be hitting every shot. I'm sorry, but i don't even want Jack or Arnie going to that length. At points I just wish he'd STFU. The rest were fine with me, so long as Miller wasn't vomiting his expertise.

Actually, I watched him play in person and live on TV in the '70's when he was on his game. Every bit as tuned in as Faldo, who is blessed with a bit more tact but not as much golf talent.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Miller is the best by far. You must like Nance and guys like him who say nothing without a sugar coating. Miller is miles ahead of those shmucks

Miller remains on my permanent $h!tl!st for his role in encouraging the USGA to change the groove rule.

I never liked him, but I didn't think that there was anything wrong with him. He just isn't the kind of guy that I like. In my childhood neighborhood, he would have stuck out like I stick out in Salt Lake City. They never mistreated me there, but they obviously didn't like me very much.

With all the b!tch!ing he did over the air about the grooves, however, he can pretty much go to hell. I really, REALLY hate that groove rule.

But again, he didn't really do anything wrong. He just gave an opinion, to which he was certainly entitled, but one that I could not respect.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Miller remains on my permanent $h!tl!st for his role in encouraging the USGA to change the groove rule.

I never liked him, but I didn't think that there was anything wrong with him. He just isn't the kind of guy that I like. In my childhood neighborhood, he would have stuck out like I stick out in Salt Lake City. They never mistreated me there, but they obviously didn't like me very much.

With all the b!tch!ing he did over the air about the grooves, however, he can pretty much go to hell. I really, REALLY hate that groove rule.

But again, he didn't really do anything wrong. He just gave an opinion, to which he was certainly entitled, but one that I could not respect.
    The Callaway X-20 Tour irons I tried out last week had serious square grooves that were sharp as a knife. Those irons were shredding balls faster than my grandmother could peel a sweet potato. I ain't lyin.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Miller is the best by far. You must like Nance and guys like him who say nothing without a sugar coating. Miller is miles ahead of those shmucks
    Much like my despising of Larrie, I can't stand hearing one guy go on and on about how HE feels everything should be done. Glad you do though... i'm sure it helps you think less.

His time has been past for 35 years, yet by listening to the broadcast you'd be sure he currently holds the record for major wins. He's a lame d-bag of the highest order. He's the High School football player whom keeps re-living his former glory decades later as if he won a dozen super bowls. It's pathetic at best.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Of the guys who cover US golf I like Feherty and fellow Ozzy IBF. Over here we get former major champ Wayne Grady doing commentary and he is one of the best Ive heard. I think being a long time tour player should be a minimum requirement. They can give insights into the players from their personal experiences with them that non tour players cant. I dont want to hear what Nantz thinks about a game he knows little about.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Johnny Miller. If he were to be hit by a bus today, it would greatly improve the overall media coverage. His know-it-all bullshittery is even annoying to his cohorts, not to mention the rest of the public. What an annoying a-hole.
    He's the only one during this coverage I could stand. He kind of toned it back over the years, I believe, or I just tolerate him better, making him much more appealing, as he is a wealth of knowledge on the game, which makes his opinion IMO worth a sh!t
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Much like my despising of Larrie, I can't stand hearing one guy go on and on about how HE feels everything should be done. Glad you do though... i'm sure it helps you think less.

His time has been past for 35 years, yet by listening to the broadcast you'd be sure he currently holds the record for major wins. He's a lame d-bag of the highest order. He's the High School football player whom keeps re-living his former glory decades later as if he won a dozen super bowls. It's pathetic at best.
    You appear to be hyper-sensitive to anyone who talks about himself. I watched a great deal of this year's US Open and I only heard Miller discuss his own experiences a few times. He didn't linger on them either and it was more an explanation of the course set up than it was of his past achievements.

If you're sitting around waiting for someone to say something you don't like then your wish will probably be granted.

Maybe you should appreciate Miller for all of the knowledge he brings to the telecast. He's simply calling it as he sees it. What's wrong with explaining to the viewer why a player screwed up? He fully admits that he had the yips in his 40's and has no problem in self deprecation.

You're not the first person I've heard who hates Miller. A lot of people don't like the way he calls out a player for choking or how some players simply don't have it.

I think he's the best.

The Callaway X-20 Tour irons I tried out last week had serious square grooves that were sharp as a knife. Those irons were shredding balls faster than my grandmother could peel a sweet potato. I ain't lyin.
    2007, old groove model, and a Callaway iron that I like more than anything they offer now. It's got the Epon-style cavity.

They have a Legacy Black Forged model out now that looks pretty good, but it's not on the website nor readily available to the North American public.

Back to the media, I didn't have a game today and thus got to the morning papers. The coverage in that medium wasn't especially compelling either. I miss the newspaper sports reporting of decades ago, but that's just more old man b!tch!ng, I suppose. At some point in history, I'm sure that somebody missed the town crier as well.

As for not having a game, that was probably fortunate with all those chunked shots from Olympic so fresh in my brain.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 06-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Maybe you should appreciate Miller for all of the knowledge he brings to the telecast. He's simply calling it as he sees it. What's wrong with explaining to the viewer why a player screwed up? He fully admits that he had the yips in his 40's and has no problem in self deprecation.

You're not the first person I've heard who hates Miller. A lot of people don't like the way he calls out a player for choking or how some players simply don't have it.

I think he's the best.
    That's great. I knew that someone must like him out there.

I didn't say that he talks about himself, though certainly that would make it even worse. I think he spends way too much time pontificating on what all the players SHOULD be doing. As a washed-up has-been (that honestly was a very good player, but honestly nothing that the record books will remember in the grand scheme of things), I think he would spend less time talking about how "ridiculous" it is that player X did this, or that player Y is playing that shot. He's constantly yapping about how a shot "must" be played, and then immediately being proved wrong by players that are much more skilled and creative than he is/was.

Give me solid commentary on what the players are doing or did. I don't want to hear your BS about how you would have perfectly played that downhill sandshot over the 6' lip in a way that backed it up. Or worse, don't tell me how it can't be done just to be proven wrong 5 minutes later. He sounds like an idiot.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

LOL - you guys obviously watch WAY TOO MUCH golf to be so sick of the commentators. Apart from Faldo and the Kiwi Nobilo I don't even know who these guys are. The little I watch is never enough to become annoyed with the commentators. Apart from when they used to jack off over Tiger a few years back. Although I must admit I find the European commentary dreary and boring compared to the USPGA coverage.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

That's great. I knew that someone must like him out there.

I didn't say that he talks about himself, though certainly that would make it even worse. I think he spends way too much time pontificating on what all the players SHOULD be doing. As a washed-up has-been (that honestly was a very good player, but honestly nothing that the record books will remember in the grand scheme of things), I think he would spend less time talking about how "ridiculous" it is that player X did this, or that player Y is playing that shot. He's constantly yapping about how a shot "must" be played, and then immediately being proved wrong by players that are much more skilled and creative than he is/was.

Give me solid commentary on what the players are doing or did. I don't want to hear your BS about how you would have perfectly played that downhill sandshot over the 6' lip in a way that backed it up. Or worse, don't tell me how it can't be done just to be proven wrong 5 minutes later. He sounds like an idiot.
    He doesn't give commentary on what he would have done. Rather, he states what kind of shot is called for in a given situation and I'd say 90% of the time he's right. Take McDowell's last putt on the 18th hole yesterday. He made the comment that he didn't know what McDowell was thinking starting the putt off that far to the left and that he must have completely misread the putt. I think that's good commentary.

Just before that, he made the comment that Furyk had a chance to get the ball somewhat close from 105 out but maybe the fact that he's 42 years old and the pressure got to him led to a shot that sailed left of the green into a bunker. I think the commentary was accurate and adds to the enjoyment of watching the tournament.

I've never gotten annoyed by it. Different strokes for different folks. I know, that was bad.

Im with wofat. Miller is a db. He refuses to accept there is more than one way to play a shot. He thinks his way is the only way. All it does is show how little he understands the golf swing. He certainly comes across as an idiot.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Im with wofat. Miller is a db. He refuses to accept there is more than one way to play a shot. He thinks his way is the only way. All it does is show how little he understands the golf swing. He certainly comes across as an idiot.
    Some of the other commentators feel the same way. I remember one time Doti corrected three timea in a row. The last time it was something like "No Johnny, you're wrong there's no way he can play the shot you are describing with this lie."

In this us open Johnny was commenting on how the hessler kids was not digging into the bunker and he really needa to... as the kid his a perfect spinner to 3'.

He really bugs my wife. I can take him or leave him but no doubt he is a DB. A long time in a confined space with johnny would be torture for sure. He's like a Mormon golf version of Roseann Barr.

It takes a high level of sophistication to appreciate Johnny Miller. I've been playing golf for most of my life and understand all of the nuances of the game. It comes as no surprise to me that many of you don't share my knowledge or aptitude when it comes to the game of golf. Someday, maybe far into the future, you'll have that "Eureka!" moment and realize how skilled Johnny is as a commentator. Until then, I'm sure that Jim Nance, Curtis Strange and Kelly Tillman will give you all the enjoyment you need.

It takes a high level of sophistication to appreciate Johnny Miller. I've been playing golf for most of my life and understand all of the nuances of the game. It comes as no surprise to me that many of you don't share my knowledge or aptitude when it comes to the game of golf. Someday, maybe far into the future, you'll have that "Eureka!" moment and realize how skilled Johnny is as a commentator. Until then, I'm sure that Jim Nance, Curtis Strange and Kelly Tillman will give you all the enjoyment you need.
    Yeah, right, and one day you might pull your head out of your arse and realize what you've written here is a load of crap'ola.

I don't mind Miller, though I do think he lacks creativity.
    This will probably be an opinion only shared by me, but that little weasel Jimmy Roberts is a good interviewer. Sure, he's got the smarmy little voice and I'm not sure he's sincere, but he is very good at asking good questions and freewheeling good followups. Roger Maltbie is just no where near as competent. He's got his 3 scripted questions and often cuts it short when it gets uncomfortable.
    The one thing I don't like about a Miller led broadcast is how the other crew members defer to him and kiss his asss.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I don't mind Miller, though I do think he lacks creativity.
    This will probably be an opinion only shared by me, but that little weasel Jimmy Roberts is a good interviewer. Sure, he's got the smarmy little voice and I'm not sure he's sincere, but he is very good at asking good questions and freewheeling good followups. Roger Maltbie is just no where near as competent. He's got his 3 scripted questions and often cuts it short when it gets uncomfortable.
    The one thing I don't like about a Miller led broadcast is how the other crew members defer to him and kiss his asss.
    Miller is definitely a self-absorbed person who thinks highly of his own achievements and ability. However, he'll also be the first to admit to his weaknesses, like the fact that he basically can't compete because of the yips. I don't think he cares. He absolutely loves doing commentary at golf tournaments and it comes through. He's not afraid and that makes him different.

I forgot the guy's name who sat next to Miller in the booth at the US Open but I felt sorry for him. At the end of the tournament he told Miller "It was great doing this with you Johnny". Johnny replied "It was great being here". You can see the disdain he has for his "peers" in the media. He knows they're all posers.

Miller is definitely a self-absorbed person who thinks highly of his own achievements and ability. However, he'll also be the first to admit to his weaknesses, like the fact that he basically can't compete because of the yips. I don't think he cares. He absolutely loves doing commentary at golf tournaments and it comes through. He's not afraid and that makes him different.

I forgot the guy's name who sat next to Miller in the booth at the US Open but I felt sorry for him. At the end of the tournament he told Miller "It was great doing this with you Johnny". Johnny replied "It was great being here". You can see the disdain he has for his "peers" in the media. He knows they're all posers.
    Did you read Ernie Els interview in one of the golf mags this month? Sounds like players have serious disdain for ex-players doing media. Els destroyed Feherty because he made fun of Els' putting on air. Basically, Els said he was steaming mad at Feherty (DF said something like "Els looks like he's putting with a live rattlesnake.") for kicking him when he's down. But when he starting thinking about it, he pitied Feherty because his game sucks so bad he's reduced to being a shock jock who has to talk about game he can no longer play.
    Say what you will about Els, but he always gives honest answers.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Did you read Ernie Els interview in one of the golf mags this month? Sounds like players have serious disdain for ex-players doing media. Els destroyed Feherty because he made fun of Els' putting on air. Basically, Els said he was steaming mad at Feherty (DF said something like "Els looks like he's putting with a live rattlesnake.") for kicking him when he's down. But when he starting thinking about it, he pitied Feherty because his game sucks so bad he's reduced to being a shock jock who has to talk about game he can no longer play.
    Els may be mad but Feherty is absolutely spot on when it comes to his putting. Ernie Els leaves more putts short by hitting them tentatively than any good player I've ever seen. In fact, I'm pretty sure he did that very thing on the 18th hole of the US Open.

He looks like he's scared to putt the ball too far past the hole. As a result, he comes up short on the amateur side of the hole ALL the friggin' time. Every time I watch Ernie putt I'm waiting to see him come up short. It's really bad.

I've never liked Els. Not sure why. His comments about how he felt left out when Tiger came on the scene may have something to do with it. Sour grapes.

Also, this thing where he traveled all over the world to play in tournaments? What's up with that? He did it to the extreme.

What happened to Ernie on the 16th hole of this year's US Open pretty much defines his career.

It's really a necessary evil. Without the commentary, most wouldn't watch golf. Without viewership, Els is a head pro somewhere saving for retirement living in a trailer park. The truth is Els knows he sucks at putting and it hurt because it was true. Too bad too. The guy played great tee to green. I can putt about as well as Els can. That's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    It's really a necessary evil. Without the commentary, most wouldn't watch golf.
    Although I didn't like Judy Rankin personality-wise as a player, I like her a lot as a commentator. Jane Crafter and Dottie Pepper, too. They know golf, but they're not borish men.

I like Kelly Tilghman, too, this despite her easily identifiable upper middle class Carolina accent.

If they'd just stick to formally trained broadcasters complemented by former LPGA broads and former UK men players, I'd like the TV commentary much better. The former American PGA pros are somewhat of an annoyance. I'm not sure why, but I don't care for them. Faldo and Oosterhuis are fine.

Everything I've ever heard and read about Johnny Miller points to him being a strict Mormon when it comes to what that religion prohibits. Alcohol, soft drinks, dancing and all the rest of the stuff. And Miller has always been a tee-totaler and that intimidates a lot of guys, especially his contemporaries on the Tour. If you wouldn't join the guys for a beer after a round or in the evening on the road, you were thought to be a loner or stuck-up or weird in some way. So Johnny's now like he's always been and a good percentage of viewers can't handle it, either. They'd rather have some dweeb like Costas or lack-of-talent pro like Kostis (What does a pro do when he finds out he can't compete? Well, teach, of course.) comment on the upcoming Gay Pride Parade in the Castro or wax eloquent about the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge while ignoring the eight straight pars and three straight birdies that were just made by Webb Simpson. The same kind of viewers who think Monday Night Football is best announced by metro-sexual douchebags like Keith Olberman or Boomer Cohen or whatever that fat guy's name is instead of articulation-challenged Large Black Men who actually played The Game.

Mongrel makes a point because I'm admittedly like that.

I'll take the cool and the well spoken guys over the whitebreads and inarticulate types every time.

It's all a matter of what one likes, and the networks have to figure out the demographics of the reached audience.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Although I didn't like Judy Rankin personality-wise as a player, I like her a lot as a commentator. Jane Crafter and Dottie Pepper, too. They know golf, but they're not borish men.

I like Kelly Tilghman, too, this despite her easily identifiable upper middle class Carolina accent.

If they'd just stick to formally trained broadcasters complemented by former LPGA broads and former UK men players, I'd like the TV commentary much better. The former American PGA pros are somewhat of an annoyance. I'm not sure why, but I don't care for them. Faldo and Oosterhuis are fine.
    Isn't Judy Rankin the one who always sounds like she's whispering? If so, she's horrible. She makes me feel like I'm watching a bowling tournament. She should find something else like Rose Bowl Parade float commentary.

Isn't Judy Rankin the one who always sounds like she's whispering? If so, she's horrible. She makes me feel like I'm watching a bowling tournament. She should find something else like Rose Bowl Parade float commentary.
    I like Judy, but she is extremely wrinkly. Granted, she's old, but she has been extra wrinkly for decades. Probably didn't wear enough sunscreen during her playing days. I may start referring to her as Judy Rinklin. Clever.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Thread Information