|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best Cult movies

Had to start this one as cult movies are my favorite

My list of all time greats:

Greasers Palace
    EraserHead
    El Topo
    Freaks
    Anything by Fellini (satyricon, Roma, 8 1/2)
    Anything by John Waters (Pink Flamingoes, Female Trouble, Polyester, in "smell-a-vision")
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    Had to start this one as cult movies are my favorite

My list of all time greats:

Greasers Palace
    EraserHead
    El Topo
    Freaks
    Anything by Fellini (satyricon, Roma, 9)
    Anything by John Waters (Pink Flamingoes, Female Trouble, Polyester, in "smell-a-vision")
    Repo Man

Toxic Avenger

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Repo Man

Toxic Avenger
    Repo Man is killer. I need to watch it again as soon as it comes back onto Cable.

My favorite cult movies were the ones made about Jim Jones and his Peoples' Temple. "Mother....Mother.....Mother..."

And the one made about the Manson Family. Maybe it was more than one. I like movies and books about the Nazis because they were a cult, too.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

About the only cult movies I've seen are Pink Floyd's The Wall and the Evil Dead series.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    My favorite cult movies were the ones made about Jim Jones and his Peoples' Temple. "Mother....Mother.....Mother..."

And the one made about the Manson Family. Maybe it was more than one. I like movies and books about the Nazis because they were a cult, too.
    I thought you knew better

A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a highly devoted but specific group of fans. Often, cult movies have failed to achieve fame outside the small fanbases; however, there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame among mainstream audiences. Many cult movies have gone on to transcend their original cult status and have become recognized as classics; others are of the "so bad it's good" variety and are destined to remain in obscurity. Cult films often become the source of a thriving, obsessive, and elaborate subculture of fandom, hence the analogy to cults. However, not every film with a devoted fanbase is necessarily a cult film. Usually, cult films have limited but very special, noted appeal. Cult films are often known to be eccentric, often do not follow traditional standards of mainstream cinema and usually explore topics not considered in any way mainstream—yet there are examples that are relatively normal. Many are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Basket case.

It was a standout in this genre as it raised the bar in terms of animation special effects and set the standard that guys like George Lucas and Peter Jackson would later follow. The scene where the lead character trashes his hotel room is priceless.

Speaking of Peter Jackson Bad Taste is a cult classic he made in his formative early years before he hit the big time. Probably not well known in the US but worth checking out.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    I thought you knew better

A cult film, also commonly referred to as a cult classic, is a film that has acquired a highly devoted but specific group of fans. Often, cult movies have failed to achieve fame outside the small fanbases; however, there have been exceptions that have managed to gain fame among mainstream audiences. Many cult movies have gone on to transcend their original cult status and have become recognized as classics; others are of the "so bad it's good" variety and are destined to remain in obscurity. Cult films often become the source of a thriving, obsessive, and elaborate subculture of fandom, hence the analogy to cults. However, not every film with a devoted fanbase is necessarily a cult film. Usually, cult films have limited but very special, noted appeal. Cult films are often known to be eccentric, often do not follow traditional standards of mainstream cinema and usually explore topics not considered in any way mainstream—yet there are examples that are relatively normal. Many are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions.
    I just knew someone had to bite on that and there you are. Of course I know the meaning of "cult movie" and "cult classic".

My favourite cult classic is Two Lane Blacktop.

Right behind it is Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Christine and Pet Semetary are kind of special, too.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I guess you could say Purple Rain is a cult movie. I still like it.

Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

The Big Lebowski - Dude!
    Blade Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Basket case.

It was a standout in this genre as it raised the bar in terms of animation special effects and set the standard that guys like George Lucas and Peter Jackson would later follow. The scene where the lead character trashes his hotel room is priceless.

Speaking of Peter Jackson Bad Taste is a cult classic he made in his formative early years before he hit the big time. Probably not well known in the US but worth checking out.
    Basket Case is as classic cult as it gets.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    About the only cult movies I've seen are Pink Floyd's The Wall and the Evil Dead series.
    The Evil Dead are more B grade than cult, but still a reat series. Bruce Campbell is my favourite actor. The Evil Dead movies set the bar fro Zombie/Horror and are yet to be topped.

Bubba Hotep is another great Bruce Campbell B grade classic.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Repo Man

Toxic Avenger
    Very good call on Toxic Avenger. Would be in my all time top 10 favourite movies.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    That, of course, is the obvious answer. The all-time #1 cult classic.

Yeah mongrel, think I saw it about 4 times at the midnite showing. Just get in the correct frame of mind (using illegal substances) and just have fun watching the audience.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Mulholland Drive. Easily my favorite movie of all time.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Basket Case is as classic cult as it gets.
    "What's in the basket?" - LOL

The scene where they boobie trap the fathers wardrobe is also priceless. LMFAO.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 04-06-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Just remembered the best cult classic of all time. A Clockwork Orange. I have it on dvd but can only watch it when the kids are asleep.

Is Bound with Joe Pantoliano considered a cult film?

It comes into its own with the director's cut.
    Excellent girl on girl scene with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon.
    Much better than Anne Heche and Joan Chen in Wild Side.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Is Bound with Joe Pantoliano considered a cult film?

It comes into its own with the director's cut.
    Excellent girl on girl scene with Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon.
    Much better than Anne Heche and Joan Chen in Wild Side.

That's a big call right there. Might have to check it out.

Just remembered the best cult classic of all time. A Clockwork Orange. I have it on dvd but can only watch it when the kids are asleep.
    Now you mentioned one of my favourite all time movies. A roommate and I went to see it in San Diego in 1973 when it was in its first run. That morning, I had gone to the grocery market and bought the paperback version of the book and by early afternoon, I had read it and half learned the language of Alex and his Droogies. It was only about 96 pages. It made the movie a lot better for me. As a matter of fact, when I went back to finish my four years of undergraduate work four years later, I took a film class and made a five minute film that was a parody of Clockwork Orange. I aced the course.

Its hard to believe that a guy who could make such great films as that and Dr. Strangelove would go out with a piece of crap like Eyes Wide Shut.

Its hard to believe that a guy who could make such great films as that and Dr. Strangelove would go out with a piece of crap like Eyes Wide Shut.
    That's what I thought about that movie the first time I watched it on cable. After all, Tom Cruise is not Malcolm McDowell. However, there was something about the story that seemed familiar to me and I think it was that the secret organization of men portrayed in the film reminded me of an actual one I had heard rumors of for years. A group consisting of wealthy business men and elected officials in high offices. Governors, Senators, bankers, lawyers, mayors etc. Perhaps Kubrick was going for an expose of sorts without regard to the cinematic values he strived for earlier.

It took me about three viewings to truly appreciate "Eyes Wide Shut," but I like the movie. The only thing is, I have to take a shower nearly every time after watching it.

I would also add these:

Pitch Black
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Warriors
    Escape from New York
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Good ones Sooner.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Any of Dadid Lynch's movies but I'm particular to Wild at Heart (and weird on top).

Dont forget FMJ when discussing Kubrik masterpieces.

Hmm, a couple of my favorites missing here, so I'll add:

Naked Lunch
    Donnie Darko
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Dont forget FMJ when discussing Kubrik masterpieces.
    Absolutely.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned 2001: space odyssey or The Shining by Kubrick yet.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Any of Dadid Lynch's movies but I'm particular to Wild at Heart (and weird on top).
    How would you rank the rest of his movies?
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    As I said in the original post - EraserHead

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Liked many but in this category
    Eraserhead
    Mulholland Drive
    Blue Velvet

It so recent that I forgot entirely about it when I first read this thread. Borat. I haven't laughed so hard at a movie since I don't remember when. Bruno is a close second, although I've only seen it once so far.

Memento is another good one.
    I keeps it real.

It so recent that I forgot entirely about it when I first read this thread. Borat. I haven't laughed so hard at a movie since I don't remember when. Bruno is a close second, although I've only seen it once so far.
    Borat was a great movie and I have watched it many times and still LMAO. I thought Bruno was terrible.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Borat was a great movie and I have watched it many times and still LMAO. I thought Bruno was terrible.
    Bruno is a terrible movie. But there are parts that made me laugh half my arse off. And at my age, that body part shrinks a good bit over what it was decades earlier. I still need enough mass in it to put into impact with driver and the longer clubs.

Pitch Black
    Office Space
    Idiocracy
    Clerks
    Big Lebowski
    And Justice For All
    Monty Python And The Holy Grail
    Road Warrior
    Mad Max

a few of my Fav's

I was in tears with uncontrollable laughter during that movie. Hasnt happend since Raw before that.

I was in tears with uncontrollable laughter during that movie. Hasnt happend since Raw before that.
    The movie that had me that way was "Dumb and Dumber" whenever I first saw it at the movies. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard and it was just a stupid movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    The movie that had me that way was "Dumb and Dumber" whenever I first saw it at the movies. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard and it was just a stupid movie.
    I have to agree it was pretty funny for such a moronic movie. The scene where his tongue gets stuck to the ski chairlift and the scene where they freeze on the motorbike were both hilarious but the scene where they turn away the bus load of hotties looking for a pair of oil boys was tragic!

Now where the f#ck am I?

The "totally redeem yourself" scene was funny shitt.

Another one I just remembered is Bubbleboy.

The hands down best is "They Live."

Rowdy Roddy Piper: "I've come to chew bubble gum and kick azz, and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    The hands down best is "They Live."

Rowdy Roddy Piper: "I've come to chew bubble gum and kick azz, and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    I don't know if I'd call that a cult film. It's more of a bad science fiction movie that you'll watch if you're bored. Similar to The Thing...another bad John Carpenter movie.

I do like the scene where Rowdy Piper and the black guy get into a fight while Rowdy is trying to get him to wear the sunglasses.

I don't know if I'd call that a cult film. It's more of a bad science fiction movie that you'll watch if you're bored. Similar to The Thing...another bad John Carpenter movie.

I do like the scene where Rowdy Piper and the black guy get into a fight while Rowdy is trying to get him to wear the sunglasses.
    As a young boy, I was fascinated by many sci-fi films and my favorites were the ones in which the lethal critters were spawned by genetic mutations caused by radioactive fallout. This was the 1950's and everyone was terrified of mass nuclear war with the Russians. Every week we had atomic bomb drills in school. When the neighborhood sirens would go off, we had to get under our wooden desks and cover our eyes remaining there until the "all clear" siren sounded. In that milieu some classics were produced like Godzilla. But my all time favorite was
    Them, a spiffy little tale about the giant ants that lived in the storm sewers of L.A. I was familiar with those concrete storm drains and tunnels because our family used to travel to the west coast every winter to stay with relatives. These ants grew to 10 feet and when they were coming out to attack, made a steady screech that I learned to imitate that would scare the sh*t out of my younger cousins who used to watch it with me every Saturday it was on. The human star was James Arness. Even if you were a 10 foot Atomic Ant, you couldn't f*ck with Marshall Dillon.

As a young boy, I was fascinated by many sci-fi films and my favorites were the ones in which the lethal critters were spawned by genetic mutations caused by radioactive fallout. This was the 1950's and everyone was terrified of mass nuclear war with the Russians. Every week we had atomic bomb drills in school. When the neighborhood sirens would go off, we had to get under our wooden desks and cover our eyes remaining there until the "all clear" siren sounded. In that milieu some classics were produced like Godzilla. But my all time favorite was
    Them, a spiffy little tale about the giant ants that lived in the storm sewers of L.A. I was familiar with those concrete storm drains and tunnels because our family used to travel to the west coast every winter to stay with relatives. These ants grew to 10 feet and when they were coming out to attack, made a steady screech that I learned to imitate that would scare the sh*t out of my younger cousins who used to watch it with me every Saturday it was on. The human star was James Arness. Even if you were a 10 foot Atomic Ant, you couldn't f*ck with Marshall Dillon.
    Great movie. I watched it several times as a kid and my brother would run and hide behind the chair during the scary scenes. Even though I was 2 years younger I stuck it out like a man.

What didn't make sense in that movie was how slow the ants moved. In real life, ants are extremely quick and fast moving creatures. I don't see why they would be so much slower if they were 10 feet long.

If the additional mass slowed them down that much then I believe their thin legs would not be able to withstand the weight at that size.

I hate inconsistencies and obvious errors in movies. The worst, however, is when the director of the movie caters to the bottom dweller audience and states the obvious. The worst example of this is in the movie Predator. Arnold jumps into the river and then crawls out getting mud all over his body. He climbs backward into a cove under a rock and the Predator is standing within a few feet of him. The Predator should be able to see Arnold but obviously can't because of the mud all over him. When the Predator leaves, Arnold brings his arms and hands up to his face, looks at the mud and says "he can't see me".

No sh!t Sherlock.

That's usually about the time that the person in the movie theatre sitting directly behind you leans over and whispers to his wife "he done got mud all over hisself and now the predator can't see him". Then you hear the wife go "oh, now I gets it".

Great movie. I watched it several times as a kid and my brother would run and hide behind the chair during the scary scenes. Even though I was 2 years younger I stuck it out like a man.

What didn't make sense in that movie was how slow the ants moved. In real life, ants are extremely quick and fast moving creatures. I don't see why they would be so much slower if they were 10 feet long.

If the additional mass slowed them down that much then I believe their thin legs would not be able to withstand the weight at that size.

I hate inconsistencies and obvious errors in movies. The worst, however, is when the director of the movie caters to the bottom dweller audience and states the obvious. The worst example of this is in the movie Predator. Arnold jumps into the river and then crawls out getting mud all over his body. He climbs backward into a cove under a rock and the Predator is standing within a few feet of him. The Predator should be able to see Arnold but obviously can't because of the mud all over him. When the Predator leaves, Arnold brings his arms and hands up to his face, looks at the mud and says "he can't see me".

No sh!t Sherlock.

That's usually about the time that the person in the movie theatre sitting directly behind you leans over and whispers to his wife "he done got mud all over hisself and now the predator can't see him". Then you hear the wife go "oh, now I gets it".
    I was watching that scene with a chick and she said "Why doesn't he hide in the water?" I replied "Because the alien has infrared vision and would be able to see Arnie through the water. He can't see Arnie through the mud". She reasoned "But if he goes in the water he'll be cold and then the alien won't be able to see him".

Sometimes it's just not worth trying to explain some things to chicks.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I was watching that scene with a chick and she said "Why doesn't he hide in the water?" I replied "Because the alien has infrared vision and would be able to see Arnie through the water. He can't see Arnie through the mud". She reasoned "But if he goes in the water he'll be cold and then the alien won't be able to see him".

Not to mention the fact that the mud wasn't covering his eyes or that there would be bare spots between the mud.

Groundhog Day!

FD, you have just lost all credibility with me as a movie critic. You just knocked two of the greatest "Men who like movies" movies of all time -- The Thing and Predator.

Shame on you. No soup for you!

Was this your date?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9Et...e_gdata_player

FD, you have just lost all credibility with me as a movie critic. You just knocked two of the greatest "Men who like movies" movies of all time -- The Thing and Predator.

Shame on you. No soup for you!
    Just because I knock them doesn't mean I haven't seen them several times. "we move now, 5 meter spread. Dillon, get up on the hook!" Whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    That chick is nowhere near hot enough to be that dumb.

My date wasn't blond and wasn't actually that stupid but sometimes they just lack common sense don't they.

The stupidest golf comment was from a blond I once dated who was a straight A university graduate. When I told her that you were allowed 14 golf clubs she exclaimed "14 clubs! But some golf courses are only 9 holes!"

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information