|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Hybrids, Hybrids and more hybrids

I personally think it's crazy these days to have a golf bag set up that doesn't include two hybrids. I can't tell you how many great shots I have used with these clubs and how much money they've put into my hands from hitting long Par 3s that nobody else in the group hits with their irons. So, out of curiousity I'd like to hear what your hybrid set up is and, if you don't play hybrids, why not?

Here is my current hybrid set up: Cobra DWS Hybrid 18 degree and DWS Hybrid 23 degree. I use these clubs from 185 yards out to 225 yards out.

This is a side note: Rock Bottom Golf has Callaway Tour i(z) balls for $24.99 dozen.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 05-02-2012 at 08:03 AM.

There was a Cobra DWS 18* at my local Golf Galaxy last Sunday for around $35. I have to stop by on my way home from work today to get some more lead tape and will check the used bin. I hit my 20* King Cobra Baffler (pre-DWS) 190-210 in favorable conditions and currently have a useable Tit 3 wood in my bag and a Just-Arrived Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 15* 3 wood that I will not be able to hit until this coming Saturday. I remember hitting those Steelheads when they were new and liking them but they were way too pricey for my budget and now, 12 or so years later, I gots me one. So maybe the 18* DWS will be redundant but if the volume from the Devil in my left ear is louder than the angel in my right ear, it may come home with me. Hopefully, so other Ho has snatched it up already. Also, it has the Proto 80 shaft in stiff in it and I am not a fan of those. If it had the Aldila NV HL 65 in stiff, it would now be in house.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Well, yesterday I picked up a Cobra DWS #1 hybrid at 16 degrees loft with stock for Cobra Aldila HL-55 Stiff shaft. Got it at Golf Galaxy for $15.99. Looks new.
    California is going downhill for you to pick up a gaybrid - like new - at that price. We can't find deals like that in Delaware... BTW, I tested the Cleveland DST 2i (18*) last week, it performs quite good for my swing, now just a matter or getting used to it... Now I have 18* and 22* gaybrids, have not decided if I need another gaybrid in my bag, but I know that I don't go to 16* (my GBB II 3W is 16* and I really like it)

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    19 and 22 Taylormade R11 which are supposedly replacements for my 3 & 4 iron. Mind you my long irons don't have 40 inch shafts so I prefer to grip down to the yardages right. My 19 goes between 190 and 200 depending on how I hit it and the 22 goes between 175 and 190 depending on how I hit it. As a 15 handicapper I prefer not to manufacture shots unless I really have to.

I have one hybrid at 21 degrees. I bought it to serve as versatile gap club between 4 iron and 3 wood. It definitely doesn't serve the purpose I bought it for, but I can't kick it out of the bag. It only hits the ball high, far and slightly right to left. I cannot take a bit off of it or cut it or hit it low. But, it's straight cash if the only thing I'm looking for is a relatively straight shot from the fairway or tee.
    I know for a fact that a long iron would be more accurate but less consistent.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I'm giving serious consideration to pulling my old Cleveland Halos out of storage, although, as Kiwi once mentioned of his, they could stand to be a degree or so weaker lofted in order to fit into a typical set more easily.

It's going to take some GPS analysis. Do I have three shots more than a five iron from the fairway or only two?. If I have only two, then two fairway woods and a dedicated driving iron is still the way to go.

If I have three shots left after the 5-iron, then one fairway wood and two hybrids make more sense, as the hybrids may be used as driving irons and still be playable from the deck. In fact, at that point, one might even compare a third hybrid to the 5-iron itself.

When those first metallic orange TM Firesole Rescues came out years ago, I tried a demo and couldn't hit it worth crap. They all improved pretty quickly from there, though.

I've tried hybrids, even bagged them for exrended periods; but now i can't be bothered with them anymore. Sure they are easy to hit, but like HB I find they lack the accuracy of an iron. Maybe it's the particular ones I have used, but when I am standing over the ball I am unsure of whether the shot will go right, left or straight. Now I'm only talking 20 or so yards offline but i don't have that problem with a long iron. When I set up with a long iron I am 90% sure of the shape.
    Call me old fashioned but i prefer accuracy over easy to hit anytime.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I bagged a hybrid for one season and quickly sold it. I hit the crap out of my long irons, and tend to have control over them (much more so than my driver or 3 wood), so I use them when necessary. I can put my 4 iron comfortably to 230 and can press it to 240 when needed. Above that I will rarely pull out the 3 iron or 3 wood.
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

I bag an 18° and 20.5° Launcher DST hybrid that take the place of a 5 wood and 3 iron. But I'm inclined to agree with Oldplayer. Lately on par 5's if I have hit a decent tee shot but have no chance of reaching in two then I am better off hitting 4 or 5 iron or sometimes even 7 iron depending on the hole to an ideal layup distance. By hitting an iron I usually take wayward shots out of the equation and am left facing a 3rd shot in from the fairway. With hybrids I often leave myself an awkward distance or worse lose the shot left or right and bring trees into play. Still the hybrids are great recovery clubs. If my ball is sitting down in semi rough I usually opt for the higher lofted 20.5° and have no trouble nailing a long shot that would be tough with a long iron. The 18° is great into the wind with it's lower trajectory and is also a great club off the tee on tight driving holes and takes the place of the driving iron Nifty always talks about.

I have a 23° also but prefer to bag the 4 iron. For me there is a decent distance gap between the 18° & the 20.5° and the 20.5° provides a much higher ball flight.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I would like to add a hybrid to the bag but I cant find room under the archaic 14 club rule. The 4 wedge system is off limits which leaves only the 3 iron. I really like having a 3 iron and cant bring myself to dropping it out for a hybrid. Im not even sure the hybrid will be longer anyway and I know the 3 iron will be more accurate so until they allow 15 clubs it's no hybrids for me.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I have one hybrid at 21 degrees. I bought it to serve as versatile gap club between 4 iron and 3 wood. It definitely doesn't serve the purpose I bought it for, but I can't kick it out of the bag. It only hits the ball high, far and slightly right to left. I cannot take a bit off of it or cut it or hit it low. But, it's straight cash if the only thing I'm looking for is a relatively straight shot from the fairway or tee.
    I know for a fact that a long iron would be more accurate but less consistent.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I personally think it's crazy these days to have a golf bag set up that doesn't include two hybrids. I can't tell you how many great shots I have used with these clubs and how much money they've put into my hands from hitting long Par 3s that nobody else in the group hits with their irons. So, out of curiousity I'd like to hear what your hybrid set up is and, if you don't play hybrids, why not?

Here is my current hybrid set up: Cobra DWS Hybrid 18 degree and DWS Hybrid 23 degree. I use these clubs from 185 yards out to 225 yards out.

This is a side note: Rock Bottom Golf has Callaway Tour i(z) balls for $24.99 dozen.
    I bag a Cobra Baffler Pro 20* with a S300. Great club. I also have a Cobra Baffler Pro 16* with a red board I play on windy days.

Funny you should post this. I was in the Demo center 2 days ago at the range and decided to try some 23* gaybirds for the hell of it. I pulled the Ping i20 (yes a Ping) and I covered the flag over and over, carry about 210 yards. I then hits some draws and fades - nice. Anyway, I decided to buy it and was waiting for the pro to get done with another customer and started hitting punch-cuts to a flag about 125 yards out. Just as he walks up I smarted off, "check this out" and hit a punch-cut that hit the flag. I hit the next three shots within a couple of feet of the flag.

I ordered the club and it will be here in a week or so. I like my 3i but I'm willing to give the gaybird a try.

I bag taylormade rescue 09 in 19* and 22*. Lately both have been misbehaving (as in hooking) but generally they are good. I have been thinking of putting a 4 iron in the bag, just based on how easy it is to hit the jpx800 pro 5 iron and dropping the 22*. 19* is a good option if the fairway wood is misbehaving as i only lose about 20 yards.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

I have a 24* and a 30* because I can't hit long irons for squat.
    My 24* (4h) is killer from 180yds and my 30* (6h) is my 145yd club.

I don't have the swing speed of others, so I just let the hybrids do the work for me. I have never chunked one and they are great for getting out of the trees and traps.

I am planning to walk next week bagging only these two clubs and a 60* wedge and putter. I may even forgo the putter.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

HIBORE XLS in 16, 19 and 23, then five iron. I hit them about 225, 210 and 195. Probably not the best distance spread but it works when I practice. Softest buttery gaybrids I have hit, good flight, can halt the 19 and 23 reasonably well on greens. All 3 have stock Fujikura fit-on red in stiff.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

I had not used my long irons for two years until today when I put the MP 30's back in the bag. It was an eye opening and joyful experience when I was hitting high draws to greens that I've been missing short an left (or right trying to compensate) with the #3 hybrid for the past year. I still have my 18 * Adams Idea pro #2 hybrid as it has been greatly functional on many occasions.

a few years ago I bored out a Nickent 4dx 17 degree hybrid and stuck a heavy V2 shaft in it, it replaced my 2 iron, I still use 3i, 4i because I hit them well and I can keep them low, most hybrids are high flyers, out west here the wind can be a *****, besides hitting stinger 3 irons on short tight par 4's just feel awesome... I imagine I'll replace the Nickent soon but I'll keep my 3 and 4 iron till I'm old and crotchety and cant generate the club speed anymore.

Wow! I what a difference a year makes. My old course that was owned by a rum manufacturer shut down and is slated to be an old folks home...literally, and all of you are now using gaybrids. At 45 perhaps it's time for me to realize that I too am getting older. greetings everyone.
    ... a tree branch, or my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdriver View Post
    Wow! I what a difference a year makes. My old course that was owned by a rum manufacturer shut down and is slated to be an old folks home...literally, and all of you are now using gaybrids. At 45 perhaps it's time for me to realize that I too am getting older. greetings everyone.
    If male and female pros use gaybrids then why are we proud of hitting 3 or 4 irons

Thread Information