|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Busted a club

Unhappy Busted a club

My favorite club, a G15 3W w/ Serrano 75 shaft is broke.
    I hit the ground before the ball on the fairway and the head snapped off cleanly at the hosel.

My question: Can I have the head just cleaned and replaced on the slightly shorter shaft? How much shorter will it be if I do this? OR...reccomend a shaft my local GS can do in the store for me. IF it goes back to Ping, it will be 2 weeks. Leaving Friday for a week in Florida....so I'd like it back quick.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    I hit the ground before the ball on the fairway and the head snapped off cleanly at the hosel.

My question: Can I have the head just cleaned and replaced on the slightly shorter shaft? How much shorter will it be if I do this? OR...reccomend a shaft my local GS can do in the store for me. IF it goes back to Ping, it will be 2 weeks. Leaving Friday for a week in Florida....so I'd like it back quick.
    Mongrel will be able to tell you more, but I believe you could clean out the hosel and get rid of all the shaft. Then just replace with a new shaft. I wouldnt re-insert the same shaft. Since it broke, the graphite might be compromised.

In order to get it back that quick, you will have to do something today IMO. And you might not get the same shaft - depends on what the strore has in stock. If you want the same shaft, see if the store can have the shaft overnight delivery to you (extra charge).'

Good luck.

Putting the shorter shaft in will mess up flex and swingweight all to hell. You will need a new shaft. Shouldnt have to send it to Ping, anyy clubfitter should be able to do it in an hour or so. Getting a shaft should be an overnite job at worst so you should be good to go by the weekend.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Putting the shorter shaft in will mess up flex and swingweight all to hell. You will need a new shaft. Shouldnt have to send it to Ping, anyy clubfitter should be able to do it in an hour or so. Getting a shaft should be an overnite job at worst so you should be good to go by the weekend.
    Problem is - IMO, that Serrano 75 isnt a shaft I see alot in stores. Probably an order item. Could cause delay. Prolly should get into the store first thing this AM and get it ordered if he wants that same shaft.

Get it ordered today, installed tomorrow or Wednesday at latest, and club will be ready to roll on Friday.

The answer is "yes, you can re-insert your broken shaft". As NAH mentioned, the shaft characteristics will be totally different. The tip will be a good bit stiffer and the flex point will be approx. 1.5" lower which is about the insertion depth of the shaft tip in that head. However (ain't there always a "however"?), you can install or have installed a shaft-extender that is epoxied into the butt of the shaft. A graphite shaft may be extended safely two inches max. If I were doing it, it would cost me about three bucks for the shaft extender and whatever the grip costs. A replacement Serrano plus installation will cost you almost as much or more than a used 3 wood. I have found that in almost all cases, an aftermarket shaft turns out to play better than what came from the factory.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

If this club has not been altered by anyone (other than Ping, stock shaft from them), it should still be under warranty. In my experience with Ping, they may replace the shaft for the cost of shipping it to them. Not sure what a Serrano shaft costs, but I would scrounge up a substitute 3W, and see what Ping will do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I have found that in almost all cases, an aftermarket shaft turns out to play better than what came from the factory.
    Can you reccomend an aftermarket shaft thaat GS might have? I guess similar characteristics, I don't want to walk in there later without knowing what they are talking about ot reccomending.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

I would just use a miter saw to cut off the damaged portion of the shaft and reinsert it into the clubhead with some gorilla glue. It will be shorter and stiffer and will deliver a different ball flight with less distance but other than that it will be the same. I don't think you need to have the head cleaned, though.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I would just use a miter saw to cut off the damaged portion of the shaft and reinsert it into the clubhead with some gorilla glue. It will be shorter and stiffer and will deliver a different ball flight with less distance but other than that it will be the same. I don't think you need to have the head cleaned, though.
    Ya know....I'm gonna come out there and clean your head, pal! I hope you realize I meant clean the hosel hole on the head.
    I don't want less distance, but what kind of ball flight do you think it would take on? Right now it goes dead straight.

Ya know....I'm gonna come out there and clean your head, pal! I hope you realize I meant clean the hosel hole on the head.
    I don't want less distance, but what kind of ball flight do you think it would take on? Right now it goes dead straight.
    Obviously I was joking. If it's your favorite club you need to make sure that it's identical to what you were using before. Just send it in to Ping and have them fix it for you or buy one off of Ebay, whichever is cheaper.

Can you reccomend an aftermarket shaft thaat GS might have? I guess similar characteristics, I don't want to walk in there later without knowing what they are talking about ot reccomending.
    If GS means Golfsmith, I was in one that just opened a week ago in my area. They had a very limited selection of shafts at retail (MSRP) prices. I have never hit a Ping 3 wood with that shaft. A lot depends on how long the club plays and what flex your broken shaft is (was). The specs indicate it weighs 74-76 grams and has 3.5* of torque. And it seems to have a higher flex point and stiffer tip than typical. This sounds like the Graphite Design YS-6+ fairway wood shaft a bit. If you are consisent and dead straight with the club as it was before the shaft snapped, and you liked the trajectory and spin and distance of your shots, your best bet is to get it reshafted with the same thing. Personally, I like my 3 wood to weigh about 20 grams more than my driver at about two inches shorter (43" vs. 45") and with nearly the same swingweights. I recently got a used Titleist 906F4 3 wood that came with a 75 gram Mitsubishi Diamana Blue regular shaft. After hitting about 50 balls off tee and turf, I pulled that shaft and put in a Grafalloy Prolite 3.5 driver shaft in regular flex without tipping it. That shaft weighs ten grams less than the factory Diamana and the club now hits remarkably better. But that's just me. I'm not a fan of Aldilla shafts, by the way, so my advice is probably near worthless.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Just got back from GolfSmith and they are sending it back to Ping - NO CHARGE!!!

That just made my day....HooRah! (I'm easily amused)

If GS means Golfsmith, I was in one that just opened a week ago in my area. They had a very limited selection of shafts at retail (MSRP) prices. I have never hit a Ping 3 wood with that shaft. A lot depends on how long the club plays and what flex your broken shaft is (was). The specs indicate it weighs 74-76 grams and has 3.5* of torque. And it seems to have a higher flex point and stiffer tip than typical. This sounds like the Graphite Design YS-6+ fairway wood shaft a bit. If you are consisent and dead straight with the club as it was before the shaft snapped, and you liked the trajectory and spin and distance of your shots, your best bet is to get it reshafted with the same thing. Personally, I like my 3 wood to weigh about 20 grams more than my driver at about two inches shorter (43" vs. 45") and with nearly the same swingweights. I recently got a used Titleist 906F4 3 wood that came with a 75 gram Mitsubishi Diamana Blue regular shaft. After hitting about 50 balls off tee and turf, I pulled that shaft and put in a Grafalloy Prolite 3.5 driver shaft in regular flex without tipping it. That shaft weighs ten grams less than the factory Diamana and the club now hits remarkably better. But that's just me. I'm not a fan of Aldilla shafts, by the way, so my advice is probably near worthless.
    I don't understand Golfsmith's business model. They have very large stores with tons of merchandise inside and they lease all of their locations. This means they have high overhead and need to turn over their equipment very quickly to stay in the black. They hire people at what must be just barely above minimum wage because clearly these are not people who know anything about golf equipment.

What completely stumps me is the used golf section. All of it is overpriced by at least 50%. In many cases their used stuff is 3 times what other places would price the same item. In the Golfsmith near my work, they have a set of Titleist 755 irons in very good condition for $389. That same exact set has been sitting there for over 15 months and I've seen an identical set at Golf Galaxy priced at $150.

They have the classic mentality that every failed business before them has had....that they must make a certain % profit on every item they sell. Instead of looking at the sale in terms of cash flow, they are focused on profit. Instead of looking at profit as a whole they require a certain profit on every single item.

In the case of the Titleist 755 irons, they are thinking "we bought these on trade-in for $150, therefore we must sell them at 100% profit.

What they should be thinking is that they need to turn over their old inventory of used clubs so that they can constantly get in a new selection and bring those regular customers back in the store.

Cash flow businesses always do better than profit oriented business.

[

You summed up perfectly the impression I got after walking the entire store in about 12 minutes two Saturdays ago. I spent most of the time in the used section looking at drivers, fairway woods and iron sets. If you want to predict what the items are tagged, go to the company's website and browse through their used club inventory. The only iron set out of about 30 I glanced at that was reasonably priced was 3-PW MP-60's for $169 with no face browning and DG S300 shafts with grips that almost anyone would replace prior to playing them. Other than that, it was laughable. I was looking for a pair of golf shoes but found nothing in my size-- 12W. Maybe they had some in that size in storage but not one of the little peckerwood salesmen bothered to even look my way. Not like I look like a homeless guy or anything like that. I did find one item that Golf Galaxy does not have nor does the golf supplies store up the road have. Black Tour two-part epoxy that sets up in 30 minutes and cures to playable in one hour. I took one of those home. It would be a true shame if in the Darwinistic life cycle of big chain retailers if the Golfsmith would survive and the Golf Galaxy fold.

Just got back from GolfSmith and they are sending it back to Ping - NO CHARGE!!!

That just made my day....HooRah! (I'm easily amused)
    Instead of amused, you should be elated. For me the three wood is the most difficult club to get right. I like the one I have in the bag now, but the first time I f*ck up with it to the point that it costs me strokes, then its back to the drawing board. When you get one you trust and hit well consistently, its a gift from Above.

Yeah, I got shafted for free

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    This is correct.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Maybe do yourself a favor and just get one of the new TM 3 woods. Seems as though good golfers are going to it in droves and often hitting it as long as their driver.

Perhaps this has already been discussed.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Maybe do yourself a favor and just get one of the new TM 3 woods. Seems as though good golfers are going to it in droves and often hitting it as long as their driver.

Perhaps this has already been discussed.
    Which TM 3 wood? They have 16 different models out now. I'm in the market. I've had the same steelhead knockoff since I've started playing. I'm going to give a new model a try.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post
    Which TM 3 wood? They have 16 different models out now. I'm in the market. I've had the same steelhead knockoff since I've started playing. I'm going to give a new model a try.
    It's the RBZ (Rocketballz) 13 deg. Obviously stupid names don't hinder distance. It's leaving some pretty good players asking themselves why they carry a driver.
    GR lives...

Is 13° really a three-wood, a two-wood, or a retro-head-size high loft driver?

I have long advocated removing the numbers from golf clubs, but especially fairway woods.

One bag in my rotation has TWO TaylorMade 5-woods. The longer one, a V-Steel, is stamped "5" and 18°. The shorter one, a "USA" Original, is stamped "5" and 23°.

Both five woods from the same clubmaker, 5° apart, and both fitting into my standard set configuration at once as my fairway wood pair.

A year or two ago, I distinctly remember a Callaway 3-wood that was being touted as a good driving club--I think by Gary Player. I tried a demo and it was, but I didn't buy it.

Now I'm compelled to try TM's ballsy rocket thing as well. 11.5 to 13° is my normal driver range anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Is 13° really a three-wood, a two-wood, or a retro-head-size high loft driver?

I have long advocated removing the numbers from golf clubs, but especially fairway woods.

One bag in my rotation has TWO TaylorMade 5-woods. The longer one, a V-Steel, is stamped "5" and 18°. The shorter one, a "USA" Original, is stamped "5" and 23°.

Both five woods from the same clubmaker, 5° apart, and both fitting into my standard set configuration at once as my fairway wood pair.

A year or two ago, I distinctly remember a Callaway 3-wood that was being touted as a good driving club--I think by Gary Player. I tried a demo and it was, but I didn't buy it.

Now I'm compelled to try TM's ballsy rocket thing as well. 11.5 to 13° is my normal driver range anyway.
    Apparently the RBZ-s have materials and/or design that's illegal in drivers. Rumor has it they take that material and run it between the legs of a dripping $5 whore, then set it on patio chairs so birds will s.hit on it, from there it gets licked clean by Kendrick Perkins.

I'm getting all this 9th hand but it's reliable.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Apparently the RBZ-s have materials and/or design that's illegal in drivers. Rumor has it they take that material and run it between the legs of a dripping $5 whore, then set it on patio chairs so birds will s.hit on it, from there it gets licked clean by Kendrick Perkins.

I'm getting all this 9th hand but it's reliable.
    That's actually an iron, not wood, process that you're describing. When Perkins was with the Celts, they called it GFF.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    That's actually an iron, not wood, process that you're describing. When Perkins was with the Celts, they called it GFF.
    Well, there's a good chance his team will win it this year. Watching them play the Clips right now. Clippers are pretty tough too. I'm looking forward to watching the playoffs more than I have for a really long time.
    GR lives...

Instead of amused, you should be elated. For me the three wood is the most difficult club to get right. I like the one I have in the bag now, but the first time I f*ck up with it to the point that it costs me strokes, then its back to the drawing board. When you get one you trust and hit well consistently, its a gift from Above.
    Me too. I've got a Callaway GBBII that is probably 8 or 9 years old. I have reshafted it twice and had to replace the clubhead once (flew off the shaft and got banged up pretty good). I threw a YS7 in there last year and love it.
    I have tried to replace it 3 times and have stopped trying. My course has quite a few holes where I use it off the tee, and it's serviceable if not great from the fairway.
    The new 3 woods just seem too big to hit off the turf. I'm sure they aren't, but I just can't get past the look.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Me too. I've got a Callaway GBBII that is probably 8 or 9 years old. I have reshafted it twice and had to replace the clubhead once (flew off the shaft and got banged up pretty good). I threw a YS7 in there last year and love it.
    I have tried to replace it 3 times and have stopped trying. My course has quite a few holes where I use it off the tee, and it's serviceable if not great from the fairway.
    The new 3 woods just seem too big to hit off the turf. I'm sure they aren't, but I just can't get past the look.
    I agree with your comment about the current line of 3 woods being too big. I played with a 3.5 index dude the other day and he had a Ping G20 5 food that we really wide but very shallow. He couldn't seem to get it to launch high enough. I tried it and, sure enough, it was difficult to hit up in the air. I like a 3 wood to be short and stubby and have a deep enough face to get some meat on dat' ball. You hearin' me dog?

Thread Information