|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Spin Doctor RI wedges

I'm a Cleveland guy, and a 53/58, not a 52, 56, and 60 guy.

But I've got to tell you, these Spin Doctor wedges are too cool for school. Screw all the other insert options. I'm talking about the "Rhode Island" inserts.

How am I going to resist the urge to buy a set? I've come close to buying them sight unseen in the past, but now I've tried one. These things are fun.

I'm led to understand that TM is also making replaceable insert wedges under license from Spin Doctor. At least they didn't steal the technology like FF irons and wedges stole the Jerry Barber shankless concept.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I'm a Cleveland guy, and a 53/58, not a 52, 56, and 60 guy.

But I've got to tell you, these Spin Doctor wedges are too cool for school. Screw all the other insert options. I'm talking about the "Rhode Island" inserts.

How am I going to resist the urge to buy a set? I've come close to buying them sight unseen in the past, but now I've tried one. These things are fun.

I'm led to understand that TM is also making replaceable insert wedges under license from Spin Doctor. At least they didn't steal the technology like FF irons and wedges stole the Jerry Barber shankless concept.
    Spin Doctor huh? Are these the wedges with the infomercial showing a bunch of hackers hitting balls to greens and then sucking them back to the hole? Of course, that's assuming they are talented enough to always hit past the hole. Most people would be better off learning to hit shots that roll up to the hole rather than check, skid or suck back.

The only doctor I listen to is Dr. Hook....Love you a little bit more and Sharin' the Night Together.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Spin Doctor huh? Are these the wedges with the infomercial showing a bunch of hackers hitting balls to greens and then sucking them back to the hole? Of course, that's assuming they are talented enough to always hit past the hole. Most people would be better off learning to hit shots that roll up to the hole rather than check, skid or suck back.

The only doctor I listen to is Dr. Hook....Love you a little bit more and Sharin' the Night Together.
    Sometimes it's about competition. Sometimers it's about pursuit of excellence. Sometimes, it's just about having fun. Overspinning the ball isn't great golf, FD, but it sure is fun.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 04-20-2012 at 07:49 AM.

It's not completely about golf and scoring, FD. It's about fun.
    Nifty, you are talking to the king of club ho'ing. Of course buying equipment is fun! If you like them I would highly recommend trying to find a used set on Ebay for about a third of what you'd pay new. I'm always looking for new stuff to try out and it's part of the fun. Also, I've been making decent money at the same time.

I confess that I just love every freaking golf equipment infomercial I've ever seen. Including the Spin Doctor Wedge show. My favorite line is towards the end where the chubby middle-aged black man refuses to give the wedge back to the host and says "I want this NOW!". Yowsah.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I confess that I just love every freaking golf equipment infomercial I've ever seen. Including the Spin Doctor Wedge show. My favorite line is towards the end where the chubby middle-aged black man refuses to give the wedge back to the host and says "I want this NOW!". Yowsah.
    I always liked the Killer Bee infomercials with Rocky Thompson. That guy was the ultimate flake.

The Alien wedge commercials were pretty good. I like the scene where they show a guy hitting off a deck at some yacht club. I've often found myself in similar situations.

I always liked the Killer Bee infomercials with Rocky Thompson. That guy was the ultimate flake.

The Alien wedge commercials were pretty good. I like the scene where they show a guy hitting off a deck at some yacht club. I've often found myself in similar situations.
    Hey, I loved Rocky Thompson in that production. So much so that I got me an original Killer Bee the first time I found a used one in a golf shop. Played it a couple of years. Played in a bankers/lawyers/liquidators scramble in '94 and our group only had three players and the rest had four. We didn't win but shot a 29 which was 6 under on the front nine due to my Killer Bee tee shots.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Nifty, you are talking to the king of club ho'ing. Of course buying equipment is fun! If you like them I would highly recommend trying to find a used set on Ebay for about a third of what you'd pay new. I'm always looking for new stuff to try out and it's part of the fun. Also, I've been making decent money at the same time.
    These are especially appropriate for ebay purchase because the fresh new inserts are always available, four for twenty bucks. It's a little harder to find them used with graphite, however, and I don't do steel anymore. But who's in a hurry?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spin-Doctor-...item3ef0ee90d4

Look at those delicious grooves. I've got your "condition of competition" right here, USGA!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spin-Doctor-...item3ef0ee90d4

Look at those delicious grooves. I've got your "condition of competition" right here, USGA!
    I never had the opportunity to hit a Spin Doctor but did find a Rip Stop 64* wedge at a Play-It-Again-Sports store about 10 years ago. The face of the wedge was some sort of non-metallic substance with diamond-hard nubs all over it. I took it to the range and was spinning 20 foot jab-chips back five feet uphill with rock-hard range balls. A friend of mine who was a former club pro came over after he saw me hit a couple of pitches with it and asked to try it. He spun back a 30 yard pitch about 10 feet and asked if he could borrow it for a round the next day. I gladly let him have it. I haven't seen it since. So the moral of this little vignette is if you see a Rip Stop wedge in a used bin, buy that mo-dicker. You will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I never had the opportunity to hit a Spin Doctor but did find a Rip Stop 64* wedge at a Play-It-Again-Sports store about 10 years ago. The face of the wedge was some sort of non-metallic substance with diamond-hard nubs all over it. I took it to the range and was spinning 20 foot jab-chips back five feet uphill with rock-hard range balls. A friend of mine who was a former club pro came over after he saw me hit a couple of pitches with it and asked to try it. He spun back a 30 yard pitch about 10 feet and asked if he could borrow it for a round the next day. I gladly let him have it. I haven't seen it since. So the moral of this little vignette is if you see a Rip Stop wedge in a used bin, buy that mo-dicker. You will be glad you did.
    I've seen the Rip Stop. The Miracle Wedge and the Shredder also fall in that category.

The difference between them and the Spin Doctor is that the Spin Doctor has the same build quality as OEM wedges whereas the others are just inexpensive component quality clubs. Still, they do work. You just can't replace the faces when they wear out.

I feel a little left out here. I hate infomercials and will always turn the station whenever I smell one, so I haven't seen any of these.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I've seen the Rip Stop. The Miracle Wedge and the Shredder also fall in that category.

The difference between them and the Spin Doctor is that the Spin Doctor has the same build quality as OEM wedges whereas the others are just inexpensive component quality clubs. Still, they do work. You just can't replace the faces when they wear out.
    I paid around $8.00 for my Rip Stop. It was either that or $29.95 for the Alien wedge. When I dropped a ball on the cheap worn commercial carpet on the floor of the store and took a used Top Flite XL 2000 from their used barrel and stopped the ball dead in its tracks 5 feet away with a stab-jab-hit-down-on-the-back-of-the-ball chip, I was hooked.

Jeez FD. Doctor Hook is a great band and the best songs you could come up with are those two lame examples. Listen to Freakin at the Freakers Ball, Sylvia's Mother, Cookie and Lila and a lot of others before they started playing that top 40 crap.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I feel a little left out here. I hate infomercials and will always turn the station whenever I smell one, so I haven't seen any of these.
    I understand what you mean. I do the very same thing, but on teaching segments instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Jeez FD. Doctor Hook is a great band and the best songs you could come up with are those two lame examples. Listen to Freakin at the Freakers Ball, Sylvia's Mother, Cookie and Lila and a lot of others before they started playing that top 40 crap.
    I remember them on music shows back in the late 70s. They were a pack of shirt lifters werent they?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I dont get cable so I miss out on these infomercials. Im going to have to surf youtube to see some of these. The killer bee driver sounds hilarious.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    I dont get cable so I miss out on these infomercials. Im going to have to surf youtube to see some of these. The killer bee driver sounds hilarious.
    I honestly think that if it came down to a choice, I'd give up golf before cable. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Over-the-air television is unwatchable, so I assume you're one of those folks who doesn't watch TV at all. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. Especially if you use the time to read.

As for the Spin Doctor wedges, I think it's great fun to really wind back the ball--whether the shot calls for it or not. That's why I play non-conforming grooves on regular irons and wedges.

I may have to accept the fact that I'm just having fun, and that my days of taking golf seriously are finally over.

I just thought of something. What ever happed to Zero Tolerance Z wedges? They were a fad for a while as well.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 04-21-2012 at 12:49 PM.

I honestly think that if it came down to a choice, I'd give up golf before cable. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Over-the-air television is unwatchable, so I assume you're one of those folks who doesn't watch TV at all. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. Especially if you use the time to read.

As for the Spin Doctor wedges, I think it's great fun to really wind back the ball--whether the shot calls for it or not. That's why I play non-coorming grooves on regular irons and wedges.

I may have to accept the fact that I'm just having fun, and that my days of taking golf seriously are finally over.

I just thought of something. What ever happed to Zero Tolerance Z wedges? They were a fad for a while as well.
    Ripping a ball back on the green will always be one of the great thrills of the game. New balls dont back up as much anymore which is tragic for fans. I remember the oohs and aahs of the galleries back in the day when Norman used to spin his ball back off the green. I can back up the cally i(s) on soft greens, but nothing like the stratas and nike TA balls of a few years back. I miss those days of 30 feet of backspin.

All fixable with non-conforming grooves, NAH.

On the one hand, they tear up your golf balls. I mean tear them up in a hurry. I'm not talking about non "condition of competetion" grooves. I'm talking straight out non-conforming grooves or other proscribed abrasive insert surfaces.

On the other hand, they can even spin the sh!t out of cheap, close out golf balls.

Easy for me to say now that I only play social golf. I'm unencumbered by USGA hangups.

Ripping a ball back on the green will always be one of the great thrills of the game. New balls dont back up as much anymore which is tragic for fans. I remember the oohs and aahs of the galleries back in the day when Norman used to spin his ball back off the green. I can back up the cally i(s) on soft greens, but nothing like the stratas and nike TA balls of a few years back. I miss those days of 30 feet of backspin.
    I loved to play those wound balata Titleists where you could hit an intentional high right shoulder rope hook with everything from driver to wedge. Seems like those balls would stick to the face for a full second or more. I think that's why the modern drivers all have the max or near max C.O.R. to compensate for the lack of feel like the balls of yore. The old drivers wood and metal had solid unflinching faces and the ball had the give.

Was surfing the net and found this. I'm sure all yu Americans have seen it before but it was a first time for me. Funniest shitt Ive ever seen. Only in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtzHd...eature=related

Was surfing the net and found this. I'm sure all yu Americans have seen it before but it was a first time for me. Funniest shitt Ive ever seen. Only in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtzHd...eature=related
    Jack Hamm should be ashamed of himself.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

The thing is, Spin Doctor wedges may be a gimmick--well, let's face it--they are a gimmick.

But unlike most gimmicks, they're actually well made clubs. TaylorMade, the biggest clubmaker of them all, is willing to pay licensing fees for Spin Doctor's replaceable insert technology. I don't know if they have replaceable inserts on the market yet, but they have them in development.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Jack Hamm should be ashamed of himself.
    He strikes me as someone completely incapable of shame. Boooommmm!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 04-22-2012 at 02:02 AM.

The thing is, Spin Doctor wedges may be a gimmick--well, let's face it--they are a gimmick.

But unlike most gimmicks, they're actually well made clubs. TaylorMade, the biggest clubmaker of them all, is willing to pay licensing fees for Spin Doctor's replaceable insert technology. I don't know if they have replaceable inserts on the market yet, but they have them in development.
    TM has had replaceable inserts for a couple.of years. Probably not as succesful as they hoped, but the wedge market is o.e of the toughest to crack. Titty and Cleveland have it to themselves.

.... but the wedge market is o.e of the toughest to crack. Titty and Cleveland have it to themselves.

True enough. Those two really do dominate that market. There are two out of production Cleveland models that I actually horde--if I see one for a good price--I buy it. I can't play them all, because they all have to be reshafted with graphite and get a groove job before I play them--but the heads are there if I need them.

With me, the models are the 588 "Diadic" 53°, and the 691 58°. They don't even match because the head shapes are different, and the paint fill is different, but the two make a matched pair to me and have for years. I don't know how much is the club and how much is in my head.

But it could be any two or three models. Scoring clubs are so personal that people often have favorites upon which they lean. LPGA star Pat Bradley, whose nephew now competes on the mens's tour, actually played the Wilson R-90 Sarazen wedge in the 1980s. Some people still play it now.

Thread Information