|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

All teardrop, all the time

This seems to be the rule of thumb for wedge makers other than Scratch and Mizuno, who still offer alternate shapes.

The big TWO both used to offer three shapes before settling on all teardrop.

In the beginning, Vokey had the 200 Series shaped like the present models, the oval shaped 300 Series, and the more square, semi-channel back 400 series.

Cleveland had the 588 Series shaped like the present models, plus the 485 and 691 shapes.

I think that only the most popular shape being offered now is a sign of the bad economy. In better times, there would probably be more choices.

Mizuno makes teardrops. I just scored one last week. A 58* with 10* bo unce. $15 in the well-used pile at Golf Galaxy. The Previous Fool who traded it in tried grinding the sole a bit but gave up before he f*cked it up too bad. It is Grain Flow Forged and about a 2002 model. There are still enough grooves left but I will take my titanium-tipped cutting tool to them this week. Some of the chrome is worn off the face but not to the point of browning. I may sand the face enough so that it will brown. The rust helps with spin. The Previous Owner was astute enough to leave his little name/country club shaft band on the club. I took it off. I played with this wedge two days ago and it was the best performing club in the bag. Kicked out a Vokey 56* sand wedge. Vuck Fokyes.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

What about Alien wedges? Or the GR certified Lovett range?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Mizuno makes teardrops. .
    Absolutely. MP T = teardrop. MP R = Round..

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    What about Alien wedges? Or the GR certified Lovett range?

Both oval.
    Both out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Absolutely. MP T = teardrop. MP R = Round..
    I have an MP-R 54*. I took it to a guy who has a shop and asked him to bend it one degree strong to 53*. He did that but f*cked up the face angle and it became unhittable. So I pulled the shaft and put it in one of my despicable Vokeys. The head has been in my shed for about a year and is covered with rust. Punishment it deserves. The Mizuno wedge I just bought is one of the MP Series and looks like it could be the kid brother of my MP-14 pitching wedge. I love that f*cking wedge.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

The Cleveland 588 53° / Cleveland 691 58° is my permanent combo of choice and while they're a pair to me, they are completely different shaped wedges, The 53-8 is a teardrop, and the 58-0 is an oval.

But I don't know how long I can go before trying those Spin Doctors for a while.

I hate to spend the money when I know that I've had a permanent wedge set for a couple of decades--I mentioned that I horde specimens of both--and that eventually, I always go back to it.

But the Spin Doctors are so much f*cking fun! I'm 65, and I'll never have a single digit cap again. I could hit the ball like Hogan, and I'd still putt my way into double digits.

I've got to have fun if I'm going to keep playing.

Thread Information