|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Finally Did It

Finally Did It

22 years later, I finally replaced my old eye 2's with a new set of S56's. Can't wait till they show up next week.
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Says alot about Ping if you stuck with them that long, I played with them 25 yrs ago (I was an 8 back then)-they were more than good enough, but I was more of an athlete back then too. For you to play with them that long and maintain that hcp shows how good those clubs are and how good you are too. Good luck with your new sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by wofat View Post
    22 years later, I finally replaced my old eye 2's with a new set of S56's. Can't wait till they show up next week.
    Let me know how they work out for you. Hunter Mahan won the Accenture and another tournament with those clubs. They are supposed to be the best of the "S" series. I've played the S59 irons and loved the short irons but not the long ones.

I've got my eye on the Ping i20 irons. Them clubs is the shizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Let me know how they work out for you. Hunter Mahan won the Accenture and another tournament with those clubs. They are supposed to be the best of the "S" series. I've played the S59 irons and loved the short irons but not the long ones.

I've got my eye on the Ping i20 irons. Them clubs is the shizzle.
    The i20s have generated a lot of hype but imo they look cheqp and nasty. Garish stickers and shaped like hacker paddles. Maybe its just in photos, but they look very Walmart.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    The i20s have generated a lot of hype but imo they look cheqp and nasty. Garish stickers and shaped like hacker paddles. Maybe its just in photos, but they look very Walmart.
    What modern iron doesn't look Walmart? Maybe a couple of Mizuno MP models?

In over fifty years of playing golf, I've never seen uglier golf clubs than those the major OEMs are making right now. All of them.

And yet, ugly is in the eye of the beholder because many people here believe that Scratch and Henry-Griffitts clubs are ugly, and I think that they're both among the best looking available today.

I'm guessing that they may appeal more to older players because they look a little old fashioned.

To me they look better than the Ping i15s but I agree with what you are saying. I don't understand this trend of putting pieces of plastic into the cavity. For one thing, after a year a few of those pieces are very likely going to fall out. I know a guy who still plays Ping i3s and almost all of those ugly little oval inserts in the cavity have fallen out. Same thing with the red insert in the Titleist 755.

I like an iron to look like the Titleist 704 or the original Titleist DCI Black.

To me they look better than the Ping i15s but I agree with what you are saying. I don't understand this trend of putting pieces of plastic into the cavity. For one thing, after a year a few of those pieces are very likely going to fall out. I know a guy who still plays Ping i3s and almost all of those ugly little oval inserts in the cavity have fallen out. Same thing with the red insert in the Titleist 755.

I like an iron to look like the Titleist 704 or the original Titleist DCI Black.
    I think it has something to with where clubs were made. My tps 6.0 are certainly paddles, but they were made in USA and dont have any crappy inserts or stickers that will fall off. Even the new AP1 which I really like has bells and whistles everywhere. Im definitely a fan of less is more when it comes to golf club design.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I cannot abide the top line on the I20's. Fatter than your mama. Seriously. Even the S56's struck me as a bit fat on the top line, but I think they're probably about the same as my old eye 2's. I agree that a lot of the newer OEM clubs are ugly as hell, but the S56's really suit my eye, and I love the feel.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Not a bad lookin' stick.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Quote Originally Posted by wofat View Post
    I cannot abide the top line on the I20's. Fatter than your mama. Seriously. Even the S56's struck me as a bit fat on the top line, but I think they're probably about the same as my old eye 2's. I agree that a lot of the newer OEM clubs are ugly as hell, but the S56's really suit my eye, and I love the feel.
    I still like the thin top line and look of blades. Whenever I started playing the JPX-800s last Fall, one of the first things I noticed about them was the ugly thick topline. However, after playing several months with them and hitting great shots, the thick topline now exudes confidence instead of revulsion. It is all about what you get used to. I'm not a tech nerd, but I think the thick toplines mean more perimeter weighting, which means more forgiveness.

I still break out the MP-67s and 33s and play them every once in a while because they are great swing trainers. But, whenever I want to score consistently, I play the JPX-800s.

I hope you enjoy your new irons.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I still like the thin top line and look of blades. Whenever I started playing the JPX-800s last Fall, one of the first things I noticed about them was the ugly thick topline. However, after playing several months with them and hitting great shots, the thick topline now exudes confidence instead of revulsion. It is all about what you get used to. I'm not a tech nerd, but I think the thick toplines mean more perimeter weighting, which means more forgiveness.

I still break out the MP-67s and 33s and play them every once in a while because they are great swing trainers. But, whenever I want to score consistently, I play the JPX-800s.

Sometimes I wonder how much the "look" of a game-improvement iron helps to hit the ball more solidly. You mentioned a thicker top line and heft of the club. These attributes may lead to the player freeing up his swing a little more, thereby creating a more solid hit. That may be why I hit blades so much better on the range than on the course. The small head, thin top line and knowledge that I'm hitting a blade may lead me to tense up more than I would with a cavity back.

Sooner, my mate who just got the jpx800 pros has decided that he will stick with his mp53's after all. The jpx's happen to have the the same shaft as my mp 52's (nippon 950 regs) and the same lie angle so i said to him "better let me keep them for you so you don't change your mind again". He kindly agreed, so i now have 5-9iron in them and since i had a good practice session with them
    all thats left to do is to haggle price and convince the mrs that they are worth 20 years of marriage!
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

However, after playing several months with them and hitting great shots, the thick topline now exudes confidence instead of revulsion. It is all about what you get used to. I'm not a tech nerd, but I think the thick toplines mean more perimeter weighting, which means more forgiveness.
    It's all about CONFIDENCE and ENJOYMENT ... Would you rather have sex with a "fatter' woman and have orgasm EVERY TIME or never enjoy sex with a "thinner" woman? Nuf said

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    Sooner, my mate who just got the jpx800 pros has decided that he will stick with his mp53's after all. The jpx's happen to have the the same shaft as my mp 52's (nippon 950 regs) and the same lie angle so i said to him "better let me keep them for you so you don't change your mind again". He kindly agreed, so i now have 5-9iron in them and since i had a good practice session with them
    all thats left to do is to haggle price and convince the mrs that they are worth 20 years of marriage!
    Why only 5-9 iron? I have the 4-GW and then I have the 52*, 56* and 60* JPX wedges.

Why only 5-9 iron? I have the 4-GW and then I have the 52*, 56* and 60* JPX wedges.
    I also have the 52/56/60 wedge set up. Only problem is I have a par 3 at about 225 yards from the plates so when we have medal rounds I have to hope there is no head wind and have to flush the fuk out of it to make the green. We have the club champs coming up and Im thinking I will need something between 3i and 3w, but I dont want to drop a wedge. I may have to drop the 52, or go without 4 or 5 which I rarely need.

BTW, yes that does mean Im considering hybrid, but its an old school cobra baffler desigmed to be between 3i and 3w, not a long iron replacement. The 3i will stay in the bag for sure.

Im definitely a fan of less is more when it comes to golf club design.

Me too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/H-B-POWERBIL...item4602e6b38b

Thats all he ordered as he has some vokey wedges which cover pw-lw. Only 5 irons should keep the price down. Must admit lately i would probably prefer a 4 iron instead of my 22* hybrid. I've got 52,56,60 in mpt10's so i will keep the pw of the mp52's in the bag for now, might look at a jpx pw later on, maybe when the mpt10's wear out. It does leave a 6* difference in loft between 9 iron and pw , but at my level i don't think its a big deal.Why have a 50* gw and a 52* wedge?
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    Thats all he ordered as he has some vokey wedges which cover pw-lw. Only 5 irons should keep the price down. Must admit lately i would probably prefer a 4 iron instead of my 22* hybrid. I've got 52,56,60 in mpt10's so i will keep the pw of the mp52's in the bag for now, might look at a jpx pw later on, maybe when the mpt10's wear out. It does leave a 6* difference in loft between 9 iron and pw , but at my level i don't think its a big deal.Why have a 50* gw and a 52* wedge?
    The JPX GW is actually a 49* as the entire line of clubs is juiced in loft.

Order you a 4 iron in the JPX as it is extremely easy to hit. Keeping your mp52 PW is a good move.

I also have the 52/56/60 wedge set up. Only problem is I have a par 3 at about 225 yards from the plates so when we have medal rounds I have to hope there is no head wind and have to flush the fuk out of it to make the green. We have the club champs coming up and Im thinking I will need something between 3i and 3w, but I dont want to drop a wedge. I may have to drop the 52, or go without 4 or 5 which I rarely need.

BTW, yes that does mean Im considering hybrid, but its an old school cobra baffler desigmed to be between 3i and 3w, not a long iron replacement. The 3i will stay in the bag for sure.
    The only club I have between my 4 iron and Thriver is a 15* 1i hybrid. I use my 16* thriver as a glorified 3 wood off the deck, but with the 3 wood length shaft I hit it 20 to 30 yards further than I hit the hybrid. I use the hybrid a lot whenever I need to hit a low, penetrating shot as I seem to have a hard time getting it up off the ground.

The only club I have between my 4 iron and Thriver is a 15* 1i hybrid. I use my 16* thriver as a glorified 3 wood off the deck, but with the 3 wood length shaft I hit it 20 to 30 yards further than I hit the hybrid. I use the hybrid a lot whenever I need to hit a low, penetrating shot as I seem to have a hard time getting it up off the ground.
    I'm down to two fairway shots after the five iron--for me, its a fairway wood from 17 to 19 degrees and then a weak lofted fairway wood about 22 or 23°. Some hitters have a lot in reserve after the five iron, but the vast majority don't have as much as they think.

Use your GPS and face reality, people.

That's why more and more folks go to multiple wedges instead, whether we know how to use them or not.

When I was 16 years old I was working at a driving range and saved up all summer to get me a set of Ping Eye 2+. I got the 2-SW.

I remember like it was yesterday, when I went into the proshop of my local course with $500 in cash. I went up to the display and one of the pros asked if he could help me. I said "Yes, I want these." He kind of looked at me shocked, "Really?". I showed him my money, then he asks if I want an unopend set. He went in the back and let me opened the box myself. That was a pretty neat experience, unboxing my first set of clubs I bought myself. Then I stuck my old set in the box like an old pair of shoes. I probably smiled for a week after that.

Those were the holy grail of golf clubs back then. I finially sold them after I graduated college. The grooves had been ground down almost flat. I even added a copper 1-iron the the set.

I wish I could get a new set of those today. I just loved the way they looked in a bag.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMcG View Post
    When I was 16 years old I was working at a driving range and saved up all summer to get me a set of Ping Eye 2+. I got the 2-SW.

I remember like it was yesterday, when I went into the proshop of my local course with $500 in cash. I went up to the display and one of the pros asked if he could help me. I said "Yes, I want these." He kind of looked at me shocked, "Really?". I showed him my money, then he asks if I want an unopend set. He went in the back and let me opened the box myself. That was a pretty neat experience, unboxing my first set of clubs I bought myself. Then I stuck my old set in the box like an old pair of shoes. I probably smiled for a week after that.

Those were the holy grail of golf clubs back then. I finially sold them after I graduated college. The grooves had been ground down almost flat. I even added a copper 1-iron the the set.

I wish I could get a new set of those today. I just loved the way they looked in a bag.

You can. I'm pretty sure you can still order the Ping Eye 2+ irons from Ping. Also, I've seen several brand new sets of Ping Eye 2s on Ebay...still in the box and wrapped in plastic wrap.

You can. I'm pretty sure you can still order the Ping Eye 2+ irons from Ping. Also, I've seen several brand new sets of Ping Eye 2s on Ebay...still in the box and wrapped in plastic wrap.

The original Eye Twos have the good grooves plus the classic weak lofts that I really like. If I could only get used to the offset on the short irons, I'd have probably been playing them myself for the past couple of decades.

Given the quality of players who did handle that short iron and wedge offset, I'm sure that it could have been done easily enough. It just didn't look right to my eye, but they were great clubs.

Sorry, FD, but I would have lost those ZZ Lites! Maybe not in my forties when the Eye Twos came out, but certainly in my fifties and necessarily in my sixties. I went all-graphite around age fifty, but NV Pro 105s are nearly as heavy as lightweight steel and would have worked with those clubheads.

From what I understood from a Ping rep was that you can only get replacements for a current set. You have to give them your serial number and they will make you one. Maybe I did not understand him correctly.

I check out ebay infrequently. I will have to put in more effort. I wouldn't mind some nos.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

One other thing.

The Eye Twos are hard stainless, but you don't have to bend them because they're already color coded for lie.

Even a set that came out in the late 1980s is not going to be worn out. Those clubheads last forever. One doesn't even need nos.

Give the worn grooves a groove job, and they're as good as new.

And try NV Pro 105s!

Thread Information