|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

My favorite Miura is the "S" model that was introduced in early 1969. And made in Italy, not Japan.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Used clubs take away the option of custom fitting. If the clubs were custom fit for somebody else, that makes them even less valuable. Remember the long "big spender" thread over that Scratch set?

On the other hand, if you're not particularly hard to fit, ebay clubs are often an absolute bargain. With club technology mature and the newest models being more a matter of marketing than technology, ebay is a blessing for the easy to fit player. Many great clubs at a great price.

Also, you can be looking to spend big and still go the ebay route. There may have been an iron set or wedge model made twenty years ago that you absolutely love. You can find it cheap on evay, and then send it to The Iron Factory (or GolfWorks) for complete rejuvenation. You'll spend as much or more than you would on brand new equipment but get exactly what you want when it no longer seemed available.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    My favorite Miura is the "S" model that was introduced in early 1969. And made in Italy, not Japan.
    The Japanese are hapless fools when it comes to aesthetics. If something comes out of that country without looking weird it was probably designed by Italians.

Unfortunately when Lexus went for a major cosmetic redesign they didn't contract with outsiders. Apparently the Japanese have never seen the Star Wars movies.

Luke.....I am you father.....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

Back to the drawing board.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    The Japanese are hapless fools when it comes to aesthetics. If something comes out of that country without looking weird it was probably designed by Italians.

Unfortunately when Lexus went for a major cosmetic redesign they didn't contract with outsiders. Apparently the Japanese have never seen the Star Wars movies.

Luke.....I am you father.....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

Back to the drawing board.
    I would buy Audi or Infinity designs before I buy this stupid looking Lexus... My '96 E320 is timeless design

Golf clubs change very slowly. In all clubs except driver, last year's model or the most popular clubs sold 10 years ago may be better in many ways than what that same company is selling today. That was certainly the case in both Ping, Callaway, and Taylormade clubs. The original "burner" line was at least as good as their latest. And since those clubs are years old, you can buy them for a fraction of their original cost on eBay or garage sales.

Drivers are always being redesigned for better balance and distance. So there is a discernable difference between new clubs and those several years old. But again, last year's top of the line driver is a great buy for $100 on eBay.

Larry

They are on Ebay because the dumbshite who originally had them made had Project X shafts put in them. Everyone I know who had clubs with Project X shafts had them removed within a month after playing them.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    They are on Ebay because the dumbshite who originally had them made had Project X shafts put in them. Everyone I know who had clubs with Project X shafts had them removed within a month after playing them.
    Are you kidding? Project X are great shafts. Granted I have KBS Tour now but I loved my PX.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
    Are you kidding? Project X are great shafts. Granted I have KBS Tour now but I loved my PX.
    I loved my first wife at some point. She is just a biatch now and i suspect that is how most people feel about shafts that they used to have but have long since replaced.

I am however over that stage of my life, honest
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

Quote Originally Posted by edgey View Post
    I loved my first wife at some point. She is just a biatch now and i suspect that is how most people feel about shafts that they used to have but have long since replaced.

I bid on a set of Ping Raptures with AWT Stiff flex but lost out. I wasn't willing to go higher than $275. I thought it would be special if the two smartest and most gifted players on this forum could play the same irons. Oh well.

Interesting analogy. Did your wife have similar characteristics to PX shafts? i.e. Stiff, frigid and boardy?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

My experiences have been similar except W1 keeps costing me $.
    GR lives...

Fair question. Obviously the owner has to talk them up but if they are any good barring financial reasons why wouldn't you keep them?
    I know I hang on to all the sets that are my favorites.
    In Australia the club hoing community is a smaller one and you often see the same high profile set doing the rounds on ebay. Many hos like to try and then move them on without a great deal of financial loss.
    Many are chasing that "special" set and find the quest elusive.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Fair question. Obviously the owner has to talk them up but if they are any good barring financial reasons why wouldn't you keep them?
    I know I hang on to all the sets that are my favorites.
    In Australia the club hoing community is a smaller one and you often see the same high profile set doing the rounds on ebay. Many hos like to try and then move them on without a great deal of financial loss.
    Many are chasing that "special" set and find the quest elusive.
    I'm always in search of that elusive, pristine set of Ping Eye 2 square groove irons. I picture myself walking into a Play it Again Sports and something against the wall makes me do a double-take. I walk over, careful to not act too surprised and before me is a set of like new Ping Eye 2 black dot irons. The ZZ-Lite shaft labels are perfectly smooth and intact. The heads have that look to them--recently sandblasted with absolutely zero shine. The grooves are deep and sharp. The little black paint in the eye is shiny and unscuffed. To my surprise the set is 2 thru lob wedge, 11 irons total. All serial numbers match.

Most importantly, the original Pingman grips are soft and supple with zero oil or grime. They are tacky, like they were built yesterday by Karsten.

I ask the guy "hey man, these clubs are 25 years old and you're selling them for $200. How about letting them go for $150. It's all I've got, man!". The clerk lets me have them for $150 and as soon as I walk outside I'm clicking my heels together and thankful that there truly is a God.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    My experiences have been similar except W1 keeps costing me $.
    It took me years but mine finally costs me no more. It was quite a bit and resulted in a life style well below what I could have had. But in the end, it is F*CKING WORTH IT!!!
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

My former girlfriends don't cost me a thing, except perhaps, for a few annoying memories.

Has anybody here ever had a set of irons rebuilt?

Whenever I read one of these listings where the seller is doing the used car bit it raises a red flag. Someone in the market for Miura irons probably knows a think or two about them.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Someone in the market for Miura irons probably knows a think or two about them.
    I'm not in the market, but being the fourth owner of a set of Miura MC-102s--my late brother, my nephew who doesn't play golf, my neice's husband who didn't like them, and finally me--I know at least three things about them.

One, they're drop dead gorgeous.
    Two, they feel absolutely great with NV Pro 105s.
    Three, I can't break 80 with them. (I believe Carlo shot a 75 with them when he was practically on his death bed.)

Actually, I haven't broken eighty yet with anything this spring. I didn't come close this afternoon. But on those days where only my atrocious putting cock-blocked me from Miss Seventy-Nine, it wasn't the Miuras or the DCI 962s that nearly brought me home. It was those cheap-ass Cobras from ebay. Right now, those scratched-up shovels from the early 90s look like my starters. Whoda thunk?
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 04-19-2012 at 08:15 PM.

[QUOTE=NiftyNiblick;268962]My former girlfriends don't cost me a thing, except perhaps, for a few annoying memories.

Has anybody here ever had a set of irons rebuilt?[/QUOTE]

I've "rebuilt" several sets of my own irons. But I did not do restorations on the heads or, what some Ebay sellers refer to, "blue-print" them. Just installed different shafts at the lengths I wanted them and then adjusted the weighting. Minor scratches on faces and soles and slight 'browning" on some sweetspots of forged iron heads doesn't really bother me.

A full rebuild is more expensive than buying a new set of clubs at full retail. But if there's an old model that you'd really like to have new--especially a forged model--the results are unbelieveable.

The heads are completely rechromed, and the paint fill on the stampings are repainted. The grooves are recut, only now they're recut the way you want them, which in my case, is flagrantly non-conforming. The lofts are set to factory spec, which is often almost two full clubs weaker than modern lofts on an old set, and the lies are set to your preference. The heads are then weighted for the shaft and grip that you choose. The chrome finish is shiny or satin to your preference, regardless of what it was originally.

The result is like going back in time. It's a huge expense, but if it's to fulfill a seemingly impossible dream, doing it once could be worth it.

I recommend visiting The Iron Factory website just to get an idea of what is possible. You may find yourself on e-bay looking for that old set you once wanted. FG17s, FD?
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 04-20-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Thread Information