|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Annika Throws Like A Girl

How could the best woman golfer of all time not be able to throw a baseball 59 feet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKl5ipMA6t8

1. She's a girl
    2. She's from Sweden.
    3. She's never in her life played baseball.

Its 2012 where I live. Is it still 2008 where you are from? That's a heck of a time difference.

Glad I could help.
    Last edited by BrianMcG; 04-19-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    "Golf is such an easy game, even a human can do it."
    -Dr. Zaius-

I was a catcher when I was young. I could throw out a runner trying to steal second without coming out of a crouch. When they'd put me in right field occasionally, I could throw a line drive to home without a bounce from 300 feet. Now I couldn't throw a hardball from the mound to home plate without bouncing it.
    I'm 65. But I can still carry a driver 240, a 5 iron 180, and a PW 125 so screw baseball.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I was a catcher when I was young. I could throw out a runner trying to steal second without coming out of a crouch. When they'd put me in right field occasionally, I could throw a line drive to home without a bounce from 300 feet. Now I couldn't throw a hardball from the mound to home plate without bouncing it.
    I'm 65. But I can still carry a driver 240, a 5 iron 180, and a PW 125 so screw baseball.
    I could have written the above post verbatim and signed my name to it. Honestly. I'm 65. I was even a catcher/right fielder.

I only hit driver about 225-230 most of the time, but I go 12/13° for accuracy, so even that's about the same.

This would never happen on the non-golf discussion political talk!

Biomechanically, the overhand throw is not a natural human motion. You can train your muscles to do it well when you're young with flexible joints.

Once you stop, you're done. You can't get it back once your joints are mature.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I could have written the above post verbatim and signed my name to it. Honestly. I'm 65. I was even a catcher/right fielder.

I only hit driver about 225-230 most of the time, but I go 12/13° for accuracy, so even that's about the same.

This would never happen on the non-golf discussion political talk!
    The reason that I ended up catching starting around age 10 is that I was a slow runner but was the only kid who wasn't afraid to get right behind the batter and catch the pitches without flinching or closing my eyes. Plus I knew that I could play about every inning of every game behind the plate.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Biomechanically, the overhand throw is not a natural human motion. You can train your muscles to do it well when you're young with flexible joints.

Once you stop, you're done. You can't get it back once your joints are mature.
    Every decent handball player works hours and hours learning the mechanics of the throwing motion-- because to be competitive he must train his "off" side arm to throw also. A good handball player is essentially ambidextrous. If during the warmup your opponent saw a weak motion on your "off" side, that is the ONLY shot you would see in the match. So we studied our "natural" motion in a mirror and then imitate it in slow motion with our other hand. That applies to overhand and sidearm throws.

I am older than either of you two and can still throw overhand and sidearm decently. But I work my shoulders and arms at least once a week. I do a formal PT session in my club fitness center.

Annika and most women throw poorly because they fail to turn their shoulders -- paradoxically the same motion every good golfer makes in the golf swing.

I wish somebody had told me about those freakin' monkey bars earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    The reason that I ended up catching
    The amazing thing about catchers is how few of them can hit. My catcher in college, who was drafted by the Cardinals out of high school, almost broke my hand every time he threw the ball back to me, but in 4 at-bats he'd be lucky even to foul-off a pitch. Same thing was true of just about every catcher the Giants ever drafted, before Buster Posey.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    The amazing thing about catchers is how few of them can hit. My catcher in college, who was drafted by the Cardinals out of high school, almost broke my hand every time he threw the ball back to me, but in 4 at-bats he'd be lucky even to foul-off a pitch. Same thing was true of just about every catcher the Giants ever drafted, before Buster Posey.
    Yeah, that's a bizarre phenomenon. When you're catching, you obviously see all the pitches and know what the strike zone is that day. In high school varsity, my best friend and ace pitcher threw a fastball about 95 so I had plenty of experience with speed. By my sophomore year, I was no longer intimidated at the plate facing a fast-baller and got hit more times than anyone else because I refused to back out for a tight pitch or an inside breaking ball. My preferred pitch to drive was high and outside and I could crush those to right field. I think I hit more triples than doubles in high school. From Little League through Pony League (13-14), High School and American Legion I guess I hit .275 to
    .290 or nearby. I really hated to take a called third strike. Today when I watch MLB infrequently it irks me to see one of these "stars" take called third strikes. One of my heroes growing up was Roberto Clemente. He would swing at anything with two strikes, especially if the pitch was high and away.

Larry is an excellent troll.

(I really want to . . . . . I really want to . . . . . . no, I shall resist.)
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Annika is not very good looking for a Swedish girl. Weren't those two chicks from ABBA Swedish? I always wanted to be a Sooner Sandwich by those two whenever I was a teenager.

Amazing with all those male hormones that she can throw like a girl.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Amazing with all those male hormones that she can throw like a girl.
    Not likely. I think she is a mom at least once.

Larry

Don't do it, Lorenzo, he can't be that stupid, he's just baiting you . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Don't do it, Lorenzo, he can't be that stupid, he's just baiting you . . . . .
    Somebody's baiting me? Haven't noticed.
    GR lives...

Thread Information