|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: New driver.

New driver.

So I pulles the trigger on a nw driver today. I slipped in to the local golf shop to browase their used stuff and found a couple of drivers to try. Thw first was a Cally razr hawk 9.5 with a rip 50 sriff. It was really bad. Felt like crap and very inconsistent. Hit a couple more sdogs then decided to give a Ping G15 9 degree with voodoo 350 stiff a try. Straight off the bat it fwlt asome, and I was flushing it shot after shot. I got the guy to turn the monitor on to see if what I felt translated to good numbers and was sold within 10 swings. I started swunging easy and was hitting 255 yard drives down the middle. I then jumped on a couple and got it out to 281 yards dead centre. All drives wereower gades, launch angle ranged between 12.5 to 14.5 with spin under 3000. I was concerned with the lower loft but the launch was perfect. And the feel is fantastic. But the biggest aurpriae was the forgiveness. I know this driver wont out perform the 905R on good swings, but it will be much better on less than perfect atrikes.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    So I pulles the trigger on a nw driver today. I slipped in to the local golf shop to browase their used stuff and found a couple of drivers to try. Thw first was a Cally razr hawk 9.5 with a rip 50 sriff. It was really bad. Felt like crap and very inconsistent. Hit a couple more sdogs then decided to give a Ping G15 9 degree with voodoo 350 stiff a try. Straight off the bat it fwlt asome, and I was flushing it shot after shot. I goty the guy to turn the monitor on to see if what I felt translated to good numbers and was sold within 10 swings. I started swunging easy and was hitting 255 yard drives down the middle. I then jumped on a couple and got it out to 281 yards dead centre. All drives wereower gades, launch angle ranged between 12.5 to 14.5 with spin under 3000. I was concerned with the lower loft but the launch was perfect. And the feel is fantastic. But the biggest aurpriae was the forgiveness. I know this driver wont out perform the 905R on good swings, but it will be much better on less than perfect atrikes.
    After deciphering all the typos I think I get the gist.

Congrats man. Hope you got a good deal price wise. As much as we like to raz FD about Ping irons their drivers, fairway woods and gaybrids are top class. I demoed a used G15 whilst away on a ski trip last year and was very tempted. If I'd been closer to home I may have have pulled the trigger but sneaking a new driver into the luggage would have been hard to get past the missus. The G15 is top class and if I was in the market for a new driver the G15 or G20 would be near the top of my demo list.

Hope it's as good on the course as it was in the demo. Let us know how it goes.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

NAH - are you typing in the dark naughty corner, so the missus doesn't know about your new purchase??
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Sorry guys. I am on a smart phone and my fingers are too big for the touch pad. And its a bugger to edit as my phone net coverage sux. Vodaphone coverage is a joke.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Sorry guys. I am on a smart phone and my fingers are too big for the touch pad. And its a bugger to edit as my phone net coverage sux. Vodaphone coverage is a joke.
    I'm with also with Vodafone and the coverage is fine but it's the predictive text that usually does me in. Along with my fat fingers.

p.s. And I agree editing is a pain in the ass.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    After deciphering all the typos I think I get the gist.

Congrats man. Hope you got a good deal price wise. As much as we like to raz FD about Ping irons their drivers, fairway woods and gaybrids are top class. I demoed a used G15 whilst away on a ski trip last year and was very tempted. If I'd been closer to home I may have have pulled the trigger but sneaking a new driver into the luggage would have been hard to get past the missus. The G15 is top class and if I was in the market for a new driver the G15 or G20 would be near the top of my demo list.

Hope it's as good on the course as it was in the demo. Let us know how it goes.
    I got it for a reasonable price considering its near new and has the upgraded shaft. Its a voodoo svs6, which is pretty close to the types of shafts I like. I wont pick it up for a week or so but I know it will be a winner. I love the titty but the G15 will keep it out of the bag if the launch numbers are anything to go by.

I got it for a reasonable price considering its near new and has the upgraded shaft. Its a voodoo svs6, which is pretty close to the types of shafts I like. I wont pick it up for a week or so but I know it will be a winner. I love the titty but the G15 will keep it out of the bag if the launch numbers are anything to go by.
    Nearly everyone i have played with who has a Ping driver seems to hit it a mile. One playing partner had a g10 and the ugliest swing i had ever seen, yet he cranked it out there and was very consistent. Funny how their drivers look so plain compared to their irons, yet they just seem to do what a driver is meant to do. They consistently rate high each year in the golf mags too, although some of that may be advert dollars!
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    Nearly everyone i have played with who has a Ping driver seems to hit it a mile. One playing partner had a g10 and the ugliest swing i had ever seen, yet he cranked it out there and was very consistent. Funny how their drivers look so plain compared to their irons, yet they just seem to do what a driver is meant to do. They consistently rate high each year in the golf mags too, although some of that may be advert dollars!
    One interesting thing Ive noticed with Ping tour staff is that they all hit Ping drivers. The same can't be said for all other OEM tour staff. I see plenty of Cally and Cleveland staff players and even some Titty pros with TM drivers in their bags.

I realy didn't want to buy a new driver today. The intention was to reinforce my appreciation of the 905R by seeing how crap other drivers are compared to mine. And it was working pretty well for the first 3 drivers I hit (Cally Razr, Nike VR and TM Superfast). Then it all turned to crap when I picked up the G15. I couldn't ignore the performance and numbers and the end result is Im nearly 2 hunge in the hole, but will soon be in possession of the best driver I've ever hit, in a net. The real test will come on the course, but I think it will be a resounding success, the G15 is just stupid easy to hit.

I might be the only one who tried the G15 and didnt like it. Loads of folks say its easy to hit, its long, very consistent, and keeps you out of trouble.

I found it very short for me (compared to other drivers).

I was also very put off by the vanity loft. I dont recall the specifics, but the stamp was 9* I think, and the real measured loft was close to 12*.

The serrano shaft was too whippy for me as well.

Best of luck NaH.
    For now, Im loving my 909d3 w graf prolaunch red....

99% of callaway and ping TITANIUM head drivers are top notch golf clubs. I have never seen a good taylormade driver except for the R7 and the rocketballz.

The cleveland new 310 series are also great.

With nike producing the most improved driver;the new VRII Red
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I might be the only one who tried the G15 and didnt like it. Loads of folks say its easy to hit, its long, very consistent, and keeps you out of trouble.

I found it very short for me (compared to other drivers).

I was also very put off by the vanity loft. I dont recall the specifics, but the stamp was 9* I think, and the real measured loft was close to 12*.

The serrano shaft was too whippy for me as well.

Best of luck NaH.
    For now, Im loving my 909d3 w graf prolaunch red....
    I'm definitely supicious of the loft. Mine says 9, but I was getting launch angle numbers which indicated it was closer to about 11. Might be the design, but it definitely launched high and easily for a 9. Mine has the voodoo SV6S which felt pretty solid for me.

I'm definitely supicious of the loft. Mine says 9, but I was getting launch angle numbers which indicated it was closer to about 11. Might be the design, but it definitely launched high and easily for a 9. Mine has the voodoo SV6S which felt pretty solid for me.
    Think the club was created and marketed as a high flying bomber...not very workable, but who cares when your 20yds past your buddies type club.

Im not into the workable part, but the higher shots arent my cup of tea. I hit the ball high enough already. I even tried re-shafting the G15 but didnt care for it.

Think the club was created and marketed as a high flying bomber...not very workable, but who cares when your 20yds past your buddies type club.

Im not into the workable part, but the higher shots arent my cup of tea. I hit the ball high enough already. I even tried re-shafting the G15 but didnt care for it.
    Ive never been a real high ball hitter so I like a club that gives me a higher ball flight. The longest distance I got on the monitor also had the highest launch angle so the exyra height probably wont hurt me.

Ive never been a real high ball hitter so I like a club that gives me a higher ball flight. The longest distance I got on the monitor also had the highest launch angle so the exyra height probably wont hurt me.
    Club suits you more.
    Did you mention already - how does the stick compare to the 905? Maybe I missed it....
    Is it ever windy in Oz? That high flight w/ high winds is a killer.

So I pulles the trigger on a nw driver today. I slipped in to the local golf shop to browase their used stuff and found a couple of drivers to try. Thw first was a Cally razr hawk 9.5 with a rip 50 sriff. It was really bad. Felt like crap and very inconsistent. Hit a couple more sdogs then decided to give a Ping G15 9 degree with voodoo 350 stiff a try. Straight off the bat it fwlt asome, and I was flushing it shot after shot. I got the guy to turn the monitor on to see if what I felt translated to good numbers and was sold within 10 swings. I started swunging easy and was hitting 255 yard drives down the middle. I then jumped on a couple and got it out to 281 yards dead centre. All drives wereower gades, launch angle ranged between 12.5 to 14.5 with spin under 3000. I was concerned with the lower loft but the launch was perfect. And the feel is fantastic. But the biggest aurpriae was the forgiveness. I know this driver wont out perform the 905R on good swings, but it will be much better on less than perfect atrikes.
    I bet the golf salesman was drooling when he saw you walk in. Didn't you notice him making those keystrokes on the computer every time you hit a shot with the G15? They reeled you in hook, line & sinker. Nice purchase fish.

Actually, the Ping G15 is a great feeling driver but I actually like the Ping Rapture V2 a little better. However, since you got the Voodoo shaft I would think it'll keep the ball flight down enough to where you really play well with it. Also, the G15 is sure to outdrive your 905R..just give it a few rounds.

I'm surprised you didn't like the RAZR Hawk driver with the RIP shaft. Our local Golf Galaxy has an 8.5 degree with stock RIP stiff and I'm very tempted at $139 because it's like new.

Hope you like the G15. Maybe now you can stop playing those executive goat tracks.

As much as I rag on all of the major OEMs, I do like Ping drivers.

I don't screw around with the strong lofted models that you guys talk about because strong lofted drivers ALL hit the ball sideways. That's for just about everybody, including the tour players who never seem to hit fairways either.

But in the 12 and 13.5° models, the G5, Rapture, and the new K15 have all proven effective for me, and they get the ball out there while feeling good at impact. Decent clubs.

Titleist is my favorite OEM for fairways.

TaylorMades and Adams, while well engineered, tend to be too upright for me, and some Callaways feel wrong at impact with the odd necks and hosels. Pings and Clevelands are good, but Titleist makes my favorite fairways. AND, they never put club numbers on them, either. I like that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    As much as I rag on all of the major OEMs, I do like Ping drivers.

I don't screw around with the strong lofted models that you guys talk about because strong lofted drivers ALL hit the ball sideways. That's for just about everybody, including the tour players who never seem to hit fairways either.

But in the 12 and 13.5° models, the G5, Rapture, and the new K15 have all proven effective for me, and they get the ball out there while feeling good at impact. Decent clubs.

Titleist is my favorite OEM for fairways.

TaylorMades and Adams, while well engineered, tend to be too upright for me, and some Callaways feel wrong at impact with the odd necks and hosels. Pings and Clevelands are good, but Titleist makes my favorite fairways. AND, they never put club numbers on them, either. I like that, too.
    An older guy I play with who is 72 uses a Ping G10 13.5 degree driver and hits the crap out of it and very straight. I tried it one time and I hit it straight up in the air with a hook and it went about 215 yards.

I have thought about this, and maybe it would be good for me to buy a 10.5 driver and keep hitting it as a means to slow my swing down and hit the ball properly. The only thing is that I don't have to try to hit up or down on the ball to get my 8.5 degree airborne. In fact, I just swing my normal swing and it gets up there easily.

I have a Ping G10 10.5 driver that I never use. I love the look of it, the way it sets up, and the sound, but I can't hit it for shite. I've been meaning to reshaft it for years. Any suggestions for a decent aftermarket shaft for moderate swing speeds that isn't ridiculously overpriced?
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post
    I have a Ping G10 10.5 driver that I never use. I love the look of it, the way it sets up, and the sound, but I can't hit it for shite. I've been meaning to reshaft it for years. Any suggestions for a decent aftermarket shaft for moderate swing speeds that isn't ridiculously overpriced?
    UST ProForce V2 and NVS V75, both common enough to go on sale. Discontinued Harrison Stripers are also easy to hit well for most people. If you find them, they'll be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The only thing is that I don't have to try to hit up or down on the ball to get my 8.5 degree airborne. In fact, I just swing my normal swing and it gets up there easily.
    Hitting strong lofted drivers is, like anything else, an excellent choice if you hit them well.
    More than a few people hit them to affect a "macho" posture and make themselves look foolish in the process.

For a reasonably strong young man, 10.5° is good for launching the ball to optimum trajectory with an 80° effort. An 80% expenditure of strength is what's recommended for a repeatable golf swing. 80% stays relatively the same. 100% changes every time you give it.

When you need to go deep, you can always close the face and hit a draw that will run a mile if the course is dry. Or you can break your shoelaces with your swing, making sure to not tighten up, making sure to get a full backswing, and trying to still have a smooth tempo.

But if you're breaking your shoe laces with every swing to hit an 8.5, that's not going to work out in the long run. You'll also find yourself playing the ball too far forward in your stance which compromises accuracy.

Grip it and rip it makes a nice slogan but an iffy strategy.

Hitting strong lofted drivers is, like anything else, an excellent choice if you hit them well.
    More than a few people hit them to affect a "macho" posture and make themselves look foolish in the process.

For a reasonably strong young man, 10.5° is good for launching the ball to optimum trajectory with an 80° effort. An 80% expenditure of strength is what's recommended for a repeatable golf swing. 80% stays relatively the same. 100% changes every time you give it.

When you need to go deep, you can always close the face and hit a draw that will run a mile if the course is dry. Or you can break your shoelaces with your swing, making sure to not tighten up, making sure to get a full backswing, and trying to still have a smooth tempo.

But if you're breaking your shoe laces with every swing to hit an 8.5, that's not going to work out in the long run. You'll also find yourself playing the ball too far forward in your stance which compromises accuracy.

Grip it and rip it makes a nice slogan but an iffy strategy.
    Nifty, you are displaying myopic behavior here. You can't see outside of your own experience. Just because you need to swing all out to hit an 8.5 driver doesn't mean that everyone else does.

If you've seen videos of my swing, you'll quickly discern that I do not go after the ball with anything more than an 80% swing (if that). I have a flaw in my swing where I take it inside and then come into the ball in a manner that causes a high ball flight. The ONLY reason I use a loft of 8.5 is to keep the ball down and get more of a penetrating trajectory on my drives. It has nothing to do with ego.

That being said, I may go up to a 9.5 degree simply to get my swing to where it should be.

I myself have a moderate swing speed and have experimented with some different shafts. My current #1 is a Titleist 907D2 10.5* that I put a UST Axivcore Blue 59 gram regular in. That shaft is $79.95 retail currently but I got it at Golf Galaxy for $9.97. At that price, I thought I'd give it a try and it is a very good shaft for me. My driver swing speed is around 95 and I am working on a smooth transition but I still put a bit of "hit" on the ball. I hit this combo dead straight every time. Too straight with the ball I played with last Sunday, Srixon Q star. I'm going to go to a higher spinning ball this weekend to see if I can't get a slight fade.

Another decent cheapo shaft is the Prolite 3.5 that can now be had for $29.95 from Golfworks online. I have the regular flex in my nnew-to-me 3 wood and it works great. There is a Prolite HL that has a softer tip and is also $29.95. I have one of those in regular
    in my 905T 9.5* and that club works very well with a bit higher ball flight.

For around $60, I really liked the Proforce V2 65 gram regular flex. I had one in my 907D2 but snapped it at the hosel. My fault, not the shaft's.

If I were you, I might have a new shaft put in your Ping using a shim. The hosel bore of Ping drivers is .350" and a .335" tip shaft can be inserted using a simple cheap brass shim. Any clubmaker should be able to do this. The thinner tipped versions of the same shafts always seem to be a bit more lively with more kick to me.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

It's more difficult to make recommendations without knowing more about your swing and typical ball flight. For instance are you more of a swinger or hitter? Do you load the shaft early? How handsy are you through the swing? There's also the feel aspect which just is there really aren't metrics.

All that said, just get a regular Speeder. I say that because most mid and high handicappers hit more than swing, load early and are too handsy through impact. As far as feel is concerned it's a stable shaft that should compensate some for the Ping's crashiness. Fujis run one size stiff so regular would cover alot of swing speeds. Just make sure you get one that truly aftermarket and not "Made For."
    GR lives...

I will echo everyone else's sentiment by calling to attention your absolutely atrocious spelling. I had to stop reading about halfway through, but did see you got a Ping G15. I was honestly expecting it to be some 10 year old Powerbilt club or something from Wilson.
    Back to your spelling for just a moment. I too have posted from my phone and have experienced all the trappings of the device and its auto-correct, tiny keyboard, etc. I have enough respect for myself and the members of this discussion board to construct readable texts that accurately construe a message. Your pathetic diatribe indicates a lack of respect for fellow GR members, and worse, shows a lack of self respect. This shameful post should be a wakeup call for you to clean up your act, both on this board and in life. I can only imagine your car is as littered with trash as your OP is with mistakes.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Nifty, you are displaying myopic behavior here. You can't see outside of your own experience. Just because you need to swing all out to hit an 8.5 driver doesn't mean that everyone else does.
    If you reread my post, FD, you'll see that I said low loft drivers are perfectly fine if you hit them well.

I wasn't speaking about you, personally. I'm simply suggesting that I've seen strong loft drivers in hands better suited to holding something else.

We've never played together, but if you tell me that you're one of the minority who hits these drivers consistently, what reason would I have for not believing you?

Even I have the swingspeed to hit drivers sustantially stronger than 12° because I work out and am strong and fit for my age. I just like the way I hit well-lofted drivers better, and think perhaps others might have the same experience if they try them.

There are good reasons for some players not to hit high loft drivers, but affectation of machismo, I hope even you would agree, is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I will echo everyone else's sentiment by calling to attention your absolutely atrocious spelling. I had to stop reading about halfway through, but did see you got a Ping G15. I was honestly expecting it to be some 10 year old Powerbilt club or something from Wilson.
    Back to your spelling for just a moment. I too have posted from my phone and have experienced all the trappings of the device and its auto-correct, tiny keyboard, etc. I have enough respect for myself and the members of this discussion board to construct readable texts that accurately construe a message. Your pathetic diatribe indicates a lack of respect for fellow GR members, and worse, shows a lack of self respect. This shameful post should be a wakeup call for you to clean up your act, both on this board and in life. I can only imagine your car is as littered with trash as your OP is with mistakes.
    I have Italian fingers yet whether I'm on my I-Phone or at home on the laptop you can't tell, can you? And my car is shuttling p.ussy around clean. A critically important part of GR culture is proper writing and editing. It's what makes mindless drivel seem credible.

I knew he'd bias off the Callaway because it's current and more expensive than the Ping. NAH, all you had to say was you bought the cheapest club you could find, in keeping with your well-established modus.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    I have Italian fingers yet whether I'm on my I-Phone or at home on the laptop you can't tell, can you? And my car is shuttling p.ussy around clean. A critically important part of GR culture is proper writing and editing. It's what makes mindless drivel seem credible.

I knew he'd bias off the Callaway because it's current and more expensive than the Ping. NAH, all you had to say was you bought the cheapest club you could find, in keeping with your well-established modus.
    No you're fine. Your English is of course suspect, but that can be forgiven. Dagos just aren't that smart.

My car has been kid-free since I got it in 2010. As immaculate as the driven snow.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

No you're fine. Your English is of course suspect, but that can be forgiven. Dagos just aren't that smart.

My car has been kid-free since I got it in 2010. As immaculate as the driven snow.
    Recalling the general Dust Bowl appearance of Cincinnati, I'm impressed you're able to keep something clean there, notwithstanding clean is a relative thing particularly where most people married relatives. So even if only clean by in-bred, third world standards you should indeed feel proud.
    GR lives...

95% of my posts are via iPhone. It's really not that damned hard. I will say that reading NaH's post is kind of fun in a "Jumble-that scrambled word game" kind of way.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Recalling the general Dust Bowl appearance of Cincinnati, I'm impressed you're able to keep something clean there, notwithstanding clean is a relative thing particularly where most people married relatives. So even if only clean by in-bred, third world standards you should indeed feel proud.
    That's not dust, it's either pollen or pollution.
    Luckily, neither my wife or I were born in Cincinnati. The proximity to KY bleeds across the Ohio River as soon as you exit city incorporation. But, I've lived and worked all over the US, and rednecks live everywhere. They might just have a different accent or taste in music.
    My house looks like a tornado smashed through a toy store just about every night, but by 9pm, everything is put in its place. I have friends in similar situations who just allow whole portions of their houses to be taken over by kids. It's an uphill battle and one that could easily be lost with just a few days of inaction, but we're still fighting the good fight.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I got a new driver the other day. His name is Lucca and he calls me "boss". He drives the Lincoln.

You guys need to use Swype.
    I keeps it real.

I've been using the 9* G15 w/Serrano stiff shaft for about a year now and love it. I originally tried out the driver with the oem Ping shaft and wasn't impressed. too whippy for me. The stiffer Serrano seemed to stablize the club.
    I do, however, question whether the club face is really 9*. I originally was hitting a 10.5* a mile upwards in the air, and thought a lower lofted head would help me get more distance and less loft. Seems to be about the same as my old driver. Gonna have to have it measured.
    But I do really like the driver. I am now hitting more fairways than I ever did before - maybe thats because I'm playing 2-3X week.

And I do love the sound of the Ping when you connect.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

That's not dust, it's either pollen or pollution.
    Luckily, neither my wife or I were born in Cincinnati. The proximity to KY bleeds across the Ohio River as soon as you exit city incorporation. But, I've lived and worked all over the US, and rednecks live everywhere. They might just have a different accent or taste in music.
    My house looks like a tornado smashed through a toy store just about every night, but by 9pm, everything is put in its place. I have friends in similar situations who just allow whole portions of their houses to be taken over by kids. It's an uphill battle and one that could easily be lost with just a few days of inaction, but we're still fighting the good fight.
    I sure remember that stage. It's beyond belief small kids can create so much mess. My family would not have tolerated it from me, they must have locked me in the basement or chained me to a tree. Those of us on the neater side of average, which it sounds as though you are, struggle with kid mess. Someday yours will end but then not long thereafter, they'll be gone....So try to enjoy it. Mine's off to college next year. I get a little down thinking about it. I'd rather have him in my house messing it up.
    GR lives...

The cally was a little over half the price of the g15, it wasnt about price.

HB, go fuk yourself. btw my car is like a dump. Its a second car which is used only by me to get to and from golf so I couldnt give a crap about how it looks.

The cally was a little over half the price of the g15, it wasnt about price.

HB, go fuk yourself. btw my car is like a dump. Its a second car which is used only by me to get to and from golf so I couldnt give a crap about how it looks.

You know how difficult it is for the vets to troll each other around here. Thank you.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    You guys need to use Swype.
    I already do. Costco has a self service register and I swype all of my own items. Sometimes I'll do a little behind the back move that will save me some coin. I discovered this move in the movie "Employee of the Month".

Get you a Dynamic Gold Steel shaft in the S300 range for woods. You can't beat the price and it works for me.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

If it works for you, congratulations. I hope you'll let us all know whenever the "honeymoon period" ends in the next month or two. With that in mind, I sold my R11 last week for $250. I seriously don't think I got $150 use out of it, so I got screwed on that purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    If it works for you, congratulations. I hope you'll let us all know whenever the "honeymoon period" ends in the next month or two. With that in mind, I sold my R11 last week for $250. I seriously don't think I got $150 use out of it, so I got screwed on that purchase.
    I'll let you all know when it knocks 4 shots off my cap. I honestly believe the right driver can knock strokes off your game, particularly on courses which are toght and penal. On links style courses it wouldn't matter, but tree lined courses it could easily aave 4-6 shoys by being in the fairway more.

P.S. you got a great price for that POS. How do you live with yourself?

I'll let you all know when it knocks 4 shots off my cap. I honestly believe the right driver can knock strokes off your game, particularly on courses which are toght and penal. On links style courses it wouldn't matter, but tree lined courses it could easily aave 4-6 shoys by being in the fairway more.

I originally spent $400 for it a year ago and used it all of two months. I feel like I lost about $150. I know they lose about $100 once you hit them once though . . . .

I originally spent $400 for it a year ago and used it all of two months. I feel like I lost about $150. I know they lose about $100 once you hit them once though . . . .
    A year ago? Thats about 6 models ago for TM.

You can't look at it as if you lost $150. You had fun buying the driver, playing with it for a short period of time and you made out on the resale considering what I've seen them going for used on the bay.

If anything, buying a car brand new makes no sense even though I do it every time.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Ah, another fellow sufferer. I have to sit on the toilet to get a decent signal in my house.

You can't look at it as if you lost $150. You had fun buying the driver, playing with it for a short period of time and you made out on the resale considering what I've seen them going for used on the bay.

If anything, buying a car brand new makes no sense even though I do it every time.
    I bought the last one certified used and I'm about to do it again.
    GR lives...

What links courses do you play? The links courses I play are incredibly penal if you stray off course. The rough is often knee deep and if you are lucky enough to find your ball the only thing you can do is take a wedge and hack it back into play. At least with trees you can usually find your ball Ok. Quite often you can get lucky and have a gap that allows you to hit a punched recovery and progress the ball towards the green leaving a short shot in. On the links course after hacking out of the rough you still face a full shot in making double bogie or worse more likely.

So I agree you could save 4-6 shots by being in the fairway but IMO it's even more important on a links course. At least the ones I play.

Now where the f#ck am I?

So I agree you could save 4-6 shots by being in the fairway but IMO it's even more important on a links course. At least the ones I play.
    Corey Pavin (sp?) is a short knocker by Pro golfer's standard, and yet he still scores well in tourneys.... Fairways and very sharp short games

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Corey Pavin (sp?) is a short knocker by Pro golfer's standard, and yet he still scores well in tourneys.... Fairways and very sharp short games
    Then why do I never hear that little bugger's name in the news? The last time I saw Corey on anything was during a playoff with two other guys and he tried to layup like a little wimp with a 3 wood and hit it 200 yards. Meanwhile, the other two guys hit wedges into the green. I didn't like the penguin to begin with but now he's on my "do not invite" list.

What links courses do you play? The links courses I play are incredibly penal if you stray off course. The rough is often knee deep and if you are lucky enough to find your ball the only thing you can do is take a wedge and hack it back into play. At least with trees you can usually find your ball Ok. Quite often you can get lucky and have a gap that allows you to hit a punched recovery and progress the ball towards the green leaving a short shot in. On the links course after hacking out of the rough you still face a full shot in making double bogie or worse more likely.

Ive played some li.ks courses that are basically one big field with a few shrubs and bunkers, but I take your point as some links courses you are dead or lost ball when 5 yards off the fairway. I was referring to the former where you can miss by 2 fairways and still have a clear shot from a perfect lie.

So the new Ping G15 reign in my bag has been shortlived. After one rund with it today, justice has been swift and brutal. Straight back to the shop for a refund after the round, and the 905R is straight back in and there to stay. I've read nothing but good things about the G15, it's supposed to be one of the most forgiving clubs on the arket etc etc. I found it to be inconsitent. It felt great in the simulator, but out on the course I sprayed it all over the place, and had trouble feeling where the head was during the swing. It may have been a shaft issue as I've never realy liked Aldila shafts that much, but I think I may just need to stick with players drivers. The 905R is probably not as forgiving as some of theother drivers out there, but I need the weight and the feeling of precision that a players driver delivers. And it's still pretty forgiving on all but the crappiest of swings. Now it's all done I do't know why I was even looking for a new driver. I can't help but think in the back of my mind that something as old as the 905R can't be as good as the new stuff, but every time I stack it up against something the 905R comes out on top. I think this may be my last foray into the drivers market until my Titty either breaks or I go through a really bad patch. I have some important games coming up so I won't be trying any new equipment for at least the next 2 months. It gets knda sad though when you finally get comfortable with your bag setup and don't want to change anything. Not wanting new golf equipment closes an avenue of excitement in your life.

The Ping is dead. Short live the Ping.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well, that didnt take long.

Well, that didnt take long.

When you ho as many drivers as I have you get a feel for these things. I could have tried a different shaft but I know this driver wont outperform the R on good swings so I'll just have to back myself to swing better. Im starting to think that once you own a titty other drivers never quite measure up.

I bought the last one certified used and I'm about to do it again.
    I don't buy new car unless for my wife so she think that new car is more reliable... I bought my '96 E 320 3-yr old (38K miles then) and paid 1/2 of what a new MB would cost in 1999 (55K when new in 1999) and I will run this until I throw it out

When you ho as many drivers as I have you get a feel for these things. I could have tried a different shaft but I know this driver wont outperform the R on good swings so I'll just have to back myself to swing better. Im starting to think that once you own a titty other drivers never quite measure up.
    You have ho'd more drivers than me for sure...Ive had a few, mainly cally offerings (since I still own and love the 360cc 2004 titanium)....

But agree 100% about the Titleist comment. Right there with ya. My 909d3 is just awesome.

Will say that both the 04 cally and 909d3 are shafted with the graf prolaunch red shaft, so i think the shaft has alot to do with it. I still have a cally diablo octane tour that i might install the prolaunch in, just to see how it performs. Right now, it has a ys6 in it. If I can find a cheap shaft I might do it.

These days, I'm alternating between a pretty new K15, a veteran 983K, and a tiny first generation TM.

I've finally acquired the entire TM "Original Pittsburgh Persimmon" set--12 ° driver, 17° 3-wood, 20° 4-wood, and 23° 5-wood. Can you believe those real, "wooden wood" lofts on metalwoods? They call 23° a 9-wood now.

Great clubs. I gain little going thirty years more modern.

I am of the same opinion. I have also experimented with many drivers, possibly more than you NAH, and the Titleist drivers, even with some stock shafts are hard to beat. I am hitting a 983E ATM and absolutely loving it. I was getting a little hooky with the K so went to the neutral biased E. Out driving all my mates again and solid as a rock. The only caveat is the lack of performance when hit too far from the centre. I hit a bad toe hook yesterday that only went about 170 meters.
    I suppose they are better player drivers so we should allow the hackers to have their modern high launching, high spinning hack sticks NAH.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    I suppose they are better player drivers so we should allow the hackers to have their modern high launching, high spinning hack sticks NAH.
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of numbers constitute hacking these days? The standard is perhaps undefined for the purposes of discussion.

I am of the same opinion. I have also experimented with many drivers, possibly more than you NAH, and the Titleist drivers, even with some stock shafts are hard to beat. I am hitting a 983E ATM and absolutely loving it. I was getting a little hooky with the K so went to the neutral biased E. Out driving all my mates again and solid as a rock. The only caveat is the lack of performance when hit too far from the centre. I hit a bad toe hook yesterday that only went about 170 meters.
    I have one of those E's in 9.5*. The degree of difficulty hitting it exceeds the K by a magnitude of at least 10. It is the lowest spinning head I've ever hit (tried to hit). It was very cheap and I may reshaft it with some sort of made for Titleist women's noodle if I can find one. Its predecessor is the 905S, a very rare bird. If and when I find one in 10.5*, it will be mine if the price is right.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I had a 9.5 E with a graf prolite stiff a while back and it was certainly a beast when flushed but for me that combo was too much at the time. I wish I had kept it cause my swing is better now, but I found it very unforgiving at the time. I remember the E being in the bags of tour staff so in the right hands it had something going for it, but a drivr for the masses. Not surprised you hook the K, I knew a few low cap guys back in the day had trouble with hooks with the K. You should just go back to the 905R and get the best of all worlds. Until the 910 came out the 905R was in more tour staff bags than not. It's a modern classic.

You guys all make the same mistake. I wish I still had this or I wish I still had that.

If you like a club enough to buy it, keep it forever. Let your kids figure out what to do with it when you head for the crematory.

The thing is, used clubs don't return crap when you sell them. Begin a collection that helps your descendants look back on your wasted life like a tapestry.

If nothing else, an array of old bags makes for great man cave decorations.

You guys all make the same mistake. I wish I still had this or I wish I still had that.

If you like a club enough to buy it, keep it forever. Let your kids figure out what to do with it when you head for the crematory.

The thing is, used clubs don't return crap when you sell them. Begin a collection that helps your descendants look back on your wasted life like a tapestry.

Not a mistake I have made. I still have most of my clubs, drivers included. It is quite a collection and too many too count.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I have one of those E's in 9.5*. The degree of difficulty hitting it exceeds the K by a magnitude of at least 10. It is the lowest spinning head I've ever hit (tried to hit). It was very cheap and I may reshaft it with some sort of made for Titleist women's noodle if I can find one. Its predecessor is the 905S, a very rare bird. If and when I find one in 10.5*, it will be mine if the price is right.

I have two 905s's. One 10.5 and one 8.5. Not as good as the 983 series IMO.

Is anybody trying to play a small steel driver?

Having completed my set of vintage TM Pittsburgh Persimmons, the next step is to put matching graphite on them. Then I'm going to play them all together as a set for a while.

I'll put together thirty year old TMs with twenty year old Cobra irons.

And people who rubberneck my bag won't realize that I'm an equipment obsessor. They'll assume that I never changed the stuff.

But I've got to tell you, even next to reasonably sized 365cc drivers, that TM "Original One" looks awfully tiny.

Im too indecisive to have heaps of drivers laying around. I would be swapping out drivers every other round and would never settle on one. I think you need to stick with a driver to get confidence and with a plethora of choice that just wouldnt happen for me.

Im too indecisive to have heaps of drivers laying around. I would be swapping out drivers every other round and would never settle on one. I think you need to stick with a driver to get confidence and with a plethora of choice that just wouldnt happen for me.
    Also (at least in my case SWMBO) would get fed up with a basement full of spare/old golf clubs. A few old clubs she tolerates but a museum collection she wouldn't. OP seems to have negotiated a special deal and obviously not an issue for Never Been Married Nifty.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Also (at least in my case SWMBO) would get fed up with a basement full of spare/old golf clubs. A few old clubs she tolerates but a museum collection she wouldn't. OP seems to have negotiated a special deal and obviously not an issue for Never Been Married Nifty.
    Antiquity may have found a way to deprive me of my infamous "sand only" wedge, Kiwi--if I want to keep the old TM set together in my bag. There are a 12° driver and a 23° high loft fairway wood as I'd play now. But instead of an 18.5, there are a 17 and a 20. Four woods, just like buying a set of persimmons in 1970.

Whom am I kidding? Instead of using a modern individual divider bag, I may resort to using a classic six-way top and bag as many sticks as I want. That's not ideal for a bagful of graphite, though.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Gorgeous day playing 18 in a hour or so. I,m cheating today, as I,m carrying my trusty 4dx with a backup shaft, as I broke another fuji xstiff, so I put in a dvs stiff. I,m packing the 905r v2 xstiff, and a r580 cut to 3 wood 10.5 loft with a prolite in reg flex, and its the hi-cor head. Long as its not to busy I,m hitting 3 drivers off the tees. Which will be the longest?
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    Gorgeous day playing 18 in a hour or so. I,m cheating today, as I,m carrying my trusty 4dx with a backup shaft, as I broke another fuji xstiff, so I put in a dvs stiff. I,m packing the 905r v2 xstiff, and a r580 cut to 3 wood 10.5 loft with a prolite in reg flex, and its the hi-cor head. Long as its not to busy I,m hitting 3 drivers off the tees. Which will be the longest?

Have a good time, Footlong. I'm mostly a weekday player these days.

if you already retired, weekday playing makes a lot of sense to me... less crowded and cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    if you already retired, weekday playing makes a lot of sense to me... less crowded and cheaper
    Senior membership with weekday only golf privileges is indeed a very good bargain, Pky. Sometimes, like last weekend, I get a call saying it's not too crowded--come on down anyway if you like. (That way, they get an extra cart fee to put on my bill! I should fool them and walk.)

That never happens in mid-season, but then, the occasional tee time on a different track is always nice too.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    This course is 47.00 today and a hidden gem. I negotiated 3 for 90 as I'm cheap.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

This course is 47.00 today and a hidden gem. I negotiated 3 for 90 as I'm cheap.
    Good work.

clear sign that some money is better than no money at all... current economy already shut down a few golf courses

If you are strong enough to load a V2 X flex and time it right, the 905R will be your stick.

I have decided to resurrect my Powerbilt driver. I just got it regripped and will put it into play for the medal round. Our course is soft and I think I might get more carry with the higher loft. The 905R hasnt behabed lately either so a change was on the cards anyway. I also swapped my Cally tour i(s)s for (z)s. I really like the s off the putter but the z has lower spin and longer distance off the driver. I seem to scoe bwtter with the z too for whatever reason. Im also planning ahead. When I run out I will have to start usong the hex black, and the z is closer to that so wont be a huge transition.

I have decided to resurrect my Powerbilt driver. I just got it regripped and will put it into play for the medal round. Our course is soft and I think I might get more carry with the higher loft. The 905R hasnt behabed lately either so a change was on the cards anyway. I also swapped my Cally tour i(s)s for (z)s. I really like the s off the putter but the z has lower spin and longer distance off the driver. I seem to scoe bwtter with the z too for whatever reason. Im also planning ahead. When I run out I will have to start usong the hex black, and the z is closer to that so wont be a huge transition.
    If it's a Powerbilt driver you probably could have gone to Rock Bottom Golf and bought a brand new one for less than the cost of the grip & installation. Make sure you check the pressure on the intake valve before you put it into play. Don't they fill them with nitrogen or something?

If it's a Powerbilt driver you probably could have gone to Rock Bottom Golf and bought a brand new one for less than the cost of the grip & installation. Make sure you check the pressure on the intake valve before you put it into play. Don't they fill them with nitrogen or something?
    Fuzzy Zoeller and Larry Mize both won the Masters playing H&B PowerBilt.

Many majors have been won with Powerbilt. I remember Mize had the huge bright orange staff bag of the day. Thosw were the coolest looking bags out there.

FD, mine is older than the ones with nitrogen. Just an old school pear shaped head that looks suspiciously like the Ping g10.

Yes, those two backward arse southern boys did indeed win the cherished green jacket from their country gentile brethren. Fuzzy went on to a great career of drinking and doing ad lib post round Master's interviews, commenting on other players. One in particular, which cost him his Kmart sponsorship. Man, is that the lowest of the low or what--having Kmart dump you.

Mize went on to do....well, nothing. Let's face it, Mize hit the luckiest shot in the history of golf. Poor Norman, never could catch a break. Look at all the relatively unknown players who have stolen Norman's glory: Mize, Tway, that mexican dude, Azinger, etc.

Thread Information