|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Surprises... Surprises !!!

Not much to do during this Memorial holiday weekend so I went out to Golf Galaxy and Golf Smith to test a few clubs.
    Have not considered R-flex steel shaft , let alone S-flex steel shaft.

Hit Adams Pro A12 (KBS S-flex steel shaft), like it a lot

Hit MP-69 (Dynamic Gold S300), the feel is incredible, I catch 6i very clean with decent distance, just about every time (now I am told that I am not good enough to hit a blade.... F you)

Left Golf Smith and went to Golf galaxy, Try JPX 800, JPX 800 Pro, MP 59 and MP 69, All with S-flex steel shaft. Again, MP 69 is best for my swing (tested only 6i)

Conclusion:
    I can hit stiff shaft
    Maybe stiff graphite shaft in the long run... stiff steel shaft could be heavy for me ???
    I sure could hit blade, especially MP-69... Adams Pro A12 iron feels very sweet also

I think MP69 looks very close to MP-14 ? is it correct guys/ Girls/ AC-DC ?

Going from graphite to a DGS300 is a big difference. S300 weighs 125gms. Instead try the nippon ns pro. All different weights available in what is a very stable, smooth feeling shaft. I've got sets with the 950gh (95 gms) up to 1130 and they are an excellent lighter weight shaft which I prefer over DG. There is even an 850 gh which I haven't tried but is common. There are also good lighter weight by DG as well. TX90, dynalite sl etc.
    My advice would be stay away from DGS300. The mp 69 would feel even better with nippons in them.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    S300 weighs 125gms. Instead try the nippon ns pro. All different weights available in what is a very stable, smooth feeling shaft. I've got sets with the 950gh (95 gms) up to 1130 and they are an excellent lighter weight shaft which I prefer over DG. There is even an 850 gh which I haven't tried but is common. There are also good lighter weight by DG as well. TX90, dynalite sl etc.
    My advice would be stay away from DGS300. The mp 69 would feel even better with nippons in them.
    Thanks OP... that's exactly my concern about the wt, I think it's too heavy for me in a long run, but as I said, I am totally surprised that I could hit MP69 in S-flex, incredible feel... Well, I am not in the market now since I hit my MX-23 quite well so I will bag them for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Thanks OP... that's exactly my concern about the wt, I think it's too heavy for me in a long run, but as I said, I am totally surprised that I could hit MP69 in S-flex, incredible feel... Well, I am not in the market now since I hit my MX-23 quite well so I will bag them for awhile
    I have hit demo irons in a store with the Dynamic Gold SL shafts in Mizuno MX 200's which are somewhat similar to MX 23's and
    25's The DG SL shaft weights at least 20 grams less than the Dynamic Gold with a similar flex profile. I just swapped out the Dynalite Gold R300's in my MX 20's for the Dynalite Gold S300's I have lying around. Again, they are almost 20 grams lighter than the Dynalites and give me a bit more clubhead speed with similar height.

I tried the True Temper GS 95 shaft which is even lighter than the SL's and has a taper that is supposed to emulate graphite. I bought a regular flex one of those and put it in my MX 23 6 iron. It felt very smooth..
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Those mp69 are really nice to hit hey? I have the older generation mp-33,almost exactly the same. The ball feels so sweet when you make contact,also remember those clubs are made to hit higher,I am not sure if the newer clubs have the stronger loft(old PW@48deg new PW@46deg),Its also recommended to bend the toe 2 degree's upright,With this irons you wont be swinging as hard as usaul since clean contact is required so the upright toe will give that nice in-to-out appearence and ball flight will be naturally straight to drawish..
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Those mp69 are really nice to hit hey? I have the older generation mp-33,almost exactly the same. The ball feels so sweet when you make contact,also remember those clubs are made to hit higher,I am not sure if the newer clubs have the stronger loft(old PW@48deg new PW@46deg),Its also recommended to bend the toe 2 degree's upright,With this irons you wont be swinging as hard as usaul since clean contact is required so the upright toe will give that nice in-to-out appearence and ball flight will be naturally straight to drawish..
    I agree that it is somtimes an advantage to play the long irons with an upright lie angle, especially for a fader of the ball. I would caution however having the short iron 2 degrees upright. The higher the loft with an upright profile the futher left the ball can travel from the intended line.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I have hit demo irons in a store with the Dynamic Gold SL shafts in Mizuno MX 200's which are somewhat similar to MX 23's and
    25's The DG SL shaft weights at least 20 grams less than the Dynamic Gold with a similar flex profile. I just swapped out the Dynalite Gold R300's in my MX 20's for the Dynalite Gold S300's I have lying around. Again, they are almost 20 grams lighter than the Dynalites and give me a bit more clubhead speed with similar height.

I tried the True Temper GS 95 shaft which is even lighter than the SL's and has a taper that is supposed to emulate graphite. I bought a regular flex one of those and put it in my MX 23 6 iron. It felt very smooth..
    Mongrel... U da man... thanks for shaft info... I am pretty sure light wt steel shaft would work well for me, in a long run the question for me is R vs S flex...

I agree that it is somtimes an advantage to play the long irons with an upright lie angle, especially for a fader of the ball. I would caution however having the short iron 2 degrees upright. The higher the loft with an upright profile the futher left the ball can travel from the intended line.
    I like where you are going

The last few weeks after getting used to my new glasses I have started hitting the ball more solidly,I can hardly hit a fade,Everything starts out straight but then goes left,But after checking for a few answers and talking to a fellow scratch golfer I have concluded that my club face is to closed to address,My hands are gripping the club in a draw/hook fashion and my shoulders are alligned to the left.All & all = Very bad,inconsistent golf.

So Now I have started squaring my club face,weaker grip and will be working on my shoulder allignment tonight.

Conclusion....
    Its never the clubs,its always us....
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

OP, Mongrel, 12... and Guys/Girls/AC-DC...

I saw a set of MX-25 that comes with True Temper Dynalite Gold SL R300 Regular flex steel shafts. How heavy is this shaft and how good is this shaft with MX-25? I thought MX-25 is just a newer version of MX-23 that I have, right?

Found it

http://www.truetemper.com/golf/produ...&products_id=7

It's a good 25 grs more wt than a R-flex graphite shaft, I believe

I saw a set of MX-25 that comes with True Temper Dynalite Gold SL R300 Regular flex steel shafts. How heavy is this shaft and how good is this shaft with MX-25? I thought MX-25 is just a newer version of MX-23 that I have, right?
    Funny I am selling that exact set ATM on aussie ebay. Although I have not hit the 23's I think you are correct that the 25's are very similar. It is the stock shaft so you would imagine mizuno would have the matchup right. The shaft performed well IMO but dosen't feel as smooth as the nippons I favor.

Pky, after 7 years of research, albeit flawed, my experiments have led me back to DG S300 shafted irons that I started with years ago. I am straighter; hit the ball the same distance (and more consistent yardages between clubs) as regular flex light weight steel, or graphite; and more importantly shoot my best scores with them. Heavier shafts, especially in a well balanced iron set like Mizuno's, for me seem to swing more smoothly and consistently, especially when the pressure is on.

Play what you like is what I say:-]

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

You wouldn't have any problem swinging those Ky. The 25 is essentially the same club as the 23. Graphite just doesn't sting as much on mis hits, which I don't think you have a problem with.
    I prefer steel, as I want to know when I miss the sweet spot.
    If there clean and cheap enough buy them, the 25 says hemi, the 23 says nothing. Big difference ehh
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    You wouldn't have any problem swinging those Ky. The 25 is essentially the same club as the 23. Graphite just doesn't sting as much on mis hits, which I don't think you have a problem with.
    If there clean and cheap enough buy them, the 25 says hemi, the 23 says nothing. Big difference ehh
    Although I have never hit 25's off turf, just mats, I understand that there are a few differences between them and the 23's. I think the 25's have slightly less offset and the cavities are slightly bigger, The main complaints guys have had with the 25's with the Dynalite Gold SL's is that they hit the ball too high. When you get into your seventh decade of life like me and Pky, that ain't necesarily a Bad Tning.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

What do you think would be reasonable? thanks... I don't need another set , but if cheap enough I may consider MX-25 to try out steel shaft, which would be first time for me

I'm a bit arthitic but I've never been stung by my MX 20's, MX 23's or even the MP 14's on miss-hits except with the 14's before I pulled the Dynamic Gold S300'.

What do you think would be reasonable? thanks... I don't need another set , but if cheap enough I may consider MX-25 to try out steel shaft, which would be first time for me
    The 25's are going to cost more than the 23's since they are a newer model and may be easier to hit well. I considered them after I bought MX 23 4-7 irons for $15 a piece just to experiment with. Looking on Ebay, if you find a 4-PW or GW set for under $200 with the right shafts and specs for you, that would be a reasonable deal. There is a set on with stiff flex steel for $129 buy it now that I would be tempted to go for since I could swap shafts easily or experiment with soft-stepping once or twice just for grins.

Thanks Guys/ Girls/ AC-DC

The 25's are going to cost more than the 23's since they are a newer model and may be easier to hit well. I considered them after I bought MX 23 4-7 irons for $15 a piece just to experiment with. Looking on Ebay, if you find a 4-PW or GW set for under $200 with the right shafts and specs for you, that would be a reasonable deal. There is a set on with stiff flex steel for $129 buy it now that I would be tempted to go for since I could swap shafts easily or experiment with soft-stepping once or twice just for grins.
    That is about right. even though the model is a few years old now it has a great reputation and still fetch pretty good prices. I have seen sets in good condition go for near the $300 mark.

That is about right. even though the model is a few years old now it has a great reputation and still fetch pretty good prices. I have seen sets in good condition go for near the $300 mark.
    I still watch 25 sets on ebay as well as MX 200's--both potential upgrades for my MX 20's. But the prices remain too high for me as I am a cheap bast*rd. The 25's are the first of the MX line as far as I know that were played on a PGA Tour. Its funny to me to see how high some of those MX GFF sets can sell for and its usually due to what shafts are in them. I got my MX 20's (5-PW) for $69 buy it now off ebay because they had Dynalite Gold
    R300's that were 2" longer than factory spec. and had jumbo Winn wraps on them that weighed like 75 grams each. After I got the irons, I removed the grips and saw that the extra two inches came from aluminum butt extensions and when I measured, they were inserted in factory length shafts. Whover had them didn't even bend the heads to adjust the lies so that was a bonus.

Well... Guys/ Girls/ AC-DC
    Just pulled a trigger on a set of 3i-PW MX-25 set on eBay for $150 in good condition, come with TT Dynalite Gold SL R300 and mid-sized grips (will change this later)...
    First set of steel shaft... Let's see how it will stack up against MX-23 R-flex graphite

Just pulled a trigger on a set of 3i-PW MX-25 set on eBay for $150 in good condition, come with TT Dynalite Gold SL R300 and mid-sized grips (will change this later)...
    First set of steel shaft... Let's see how it will stack up against MX-23 R-flex graphite

Congrats Pky. I'm sure you will love them. However after your rave reviews of the MP69 I expect you to soon be bagging GFF blades with S300 shafts in place of those MX 25 shovels.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Congrats Pky. I'm sure you will love them. However after your rave reviews of the MP69 I expect you to soon be bagging GFF blades with S300 shafts in place of those MX 25 shovels.
    Well, Thanks Kiwi... I sold my Cally X-16 for $170, bought this M-25 set for $150, so it's an even trade , nothing out of my pocket.... I am going to ease in steel shaft for the first time, I am pretty sure I will enjoy this... I will test the 5i against MX-23 that I have and go from there. I get to know a PGA Pro (2 cap) who is the manager at Dicks Sporting goods, so he can "refit" MX-25 for me. As much as I like the MP69 (and I prove that I could hit blade) I am still concerned that S300 is too much for my age... and just I love the feel of MP69 and I hit the 6i clean every time

Well, Thanks Kiwi... I sold my Cally X-16 for $170, bought this M-25 set for $150, so it's an even trade , nothing out of my pocket.... I am going to ease in steel shaft for the first time, I am pretty sure I will enjoy this... I will test the 5i against MX-23 that I have and go from there. I get to know a PGA Pro (2 cap) who is the manager at Dicks Sporting goods, so he can "refit" MX-25 for me. As much as I like the MP69 (and I prove that I could hit blade) I am still concerned that S300 is too much for my age... and just I love the feel of MP69 and I hit the 6i clean every time
    I'm just kidding with you Pky. I know what you mean about the MP69 but there is a big difference between hitting a few nice crisp 6 irons off the mat in the range and actually bagging them on the course. I'm sure you will like the MX25 with steel shaft though. Will look forward to hearing how they compare to your graphite shafted MX23.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Not much to do during this Memorial holiday weekend so I went out to Golf Galaxy and Golf Smith to test a few clubs.
    Have not considered R-flex steel shaft , let alone S-flex steel shaft.

Hit Adams Pro A12 (KBS S-flex steel shaft), like it a lot

Hit MP-69 (Dynamic Gold S300), the feel is incredible, I catch 6i very clean with decent distance, just about every time (now I am told that I am not good enough to hit a blade.... F you)

Left Golf Smith and went to Golf galaxy, Try JPX 800, JPX 800 Pro, MP 59 and MP 69, All with S-flex steel shaft. Again, MP 69 is best for my swing (tested only 6i)

Conclusion:
    I can hit stiff shaft
    Maybe stiff graphite shaft in the long run... stiff steel shaft could be heavy for me ???
    I sure could hit blade, especially MP-69... Adams Pro A12 iron feels very sweet also

I think MP69 looks very close to MP-14 ? is it correct guys/ Girls/ AC-DC ?
    Interesting to learn that more and more of the young pros are switching to graphite shaft irons. Kucher, et. al. They get more distance with the same effort.

I believe in a few years metal shaft in ANY golf club will be rare, just like drivers now. There is no longer any rational reason for that.

larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    Interesting to learn that more and more of the young pros are switching to graphite shaft irons. Kucher, et. al. They get more distance with the same effort.

I believe in a few years metal shaft in ANY golf club will be rare, just like drivers now. There is no longer any rational reason for that.

larry
    What pros are playing graphite in their irons (other than Kuchar, who last I knew, was playing a steelfiber graphite shaft made by Aerotech).

Thx

Your post suggests this is sort of a mass movement to graphite, and Im just not sure Ive seen all that much graphite on irons when watching the PGA tour on TV. Maybe Im wrong....

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I'm just kidding with you Pky. I know what you mean about the MP69 but there is a big difference between hitting a few nice crisp 6 irons off the mat in the range and actually bagging them on the course. I'm sure you will like the MX25 with steel shaft though. Will look forward to hearing how they compare to your graphite shafted MX23.
    I totally practice with a MP68 7i at the range. My logic is - if I can hit that f*kker reasonably well, then the MP53 should be a cinch! But I have no delusions of bagging the 68 when it matters.

I swing the MP68 9i at home inside (so I dont hit the ceiling and get yelled at) and the MP 68 8i is here at work with me, so I can swing on lunch break. Again, no delusions of bagging them on the course, just for practice. Figure if I can hit the sweet spot on the 68, I should be able to find it on the 53.

The 59s are teasing me though, I gotta admit.

Pky - good luck with the Mizunos my friend! Im sure you will love them.

http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com/steelfiber_iron.php

From what I am reading, it's a GAYBRID shaft... inner core is graphite, outer core is steel... I doubt very much if the Pro eventually would move in this direction... Pro who plays 100% graphite shafted irons is so... GAY

http://www.aerotechgolfshafts.com/steelfiber_iron.php

From what I am reading, it's a GAYBRID shaft... inner core is graphite, outer core is steel... I doubt very much if the Pro eventually would move in this direction... Pro who plays 100% graphite shafted irons is so... GAY
    Ive tried one of their driver offerings. Hated it. Felt dead. If Kucher is swinging it, well kudos to him. Didnt work out for me. My irons have KBS Tours in them, and I love them.

I went to Play it again Sports at lunch and they had a bunch of new irons sets in. One was a set of like new Powerbilt Scotch Blades, original grips, absolute minty fresh and tasty condition for $49. Came with a Powerbilt SW as well.

Another set was a brand new La Jolla Knife iron set. Strangest looking irons I've seen but kind of cool looking. They had some Cleveland VAS irons for $59.

I almost bought a Ping Anser with Titanium Hex insert for $29.

Afterwards I ventured to GG and took a gander at their used clubs. Nothing fancied my eye until I saw a set of Nike VR Pro Cavities in the clearance section. Normally, I don't even look in the same direction as Nike but these particular irons caught my eye. They have minimal offset, relatively compact head and look good at address. Simulator--Wow! Great feel and tremendous distance. I was hitting the 6 iron 178 yards.

This may be my initial foray into Nike gear.

That's my official club scouting report for the day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z powerbilt.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	2857  
    Last edited by famousdavis; 05-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post

Another set was a brand new La Jolla Knife iron set. Strangest looking irons I've seen but kind of cool looking.
    FD... Does it look like this pix?
    As I have mentioned in several threads, I have (4) 52* La Jolla wedges and they are the best for 100 yds from the green and around the green... THE BEST
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FD... Does it look like this pix?
    As I have mentioned in several threads, I have (4) 52* La Jolla wedges and they are the best for 100 yds from the green and around the green... THE BEST
    They look like that but the ones I saw were extremely shiny. We're talking major chrome job. If you want them I'll buy them and send them to you. They also had a graphite set but it was in A flex.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    They look like that but the ones I saw were extremely shiny. We're talking major chrome job. If you want them I'll buy them and send them to you. They also had a graphite set but it was in A flex.
    Thanks for the offer FD... very kind of you... No, I don't need another set as I just acquired MX-25 steel shaft... would be interesting since I have not owned a steel shafted iron set before

I think that the one person who really cares about Matt "Mr. Grinning Excitement" Kuchar's shaft is Mrs. Kuchar.

I think that the one person who really cares about Matt "Mr. Grinning Excitement" Kuchar's shaft is Mrs. Kuchar.
    I can hear it now "Gosh, these here shafts are just great. Really great. My game has been just great since switching. Awe shucks you know."

Rich Beem uses graphite shafts in his irons. Remember him. I think Phil may have used graphite shafts in his old Yonex irons but not sure. No pro with any ambitions of playing ood golf and winning money would go near graphite shafted irons. They are good for old feebs who can't hit the side ofa barn from 50 yards though.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information