|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Callaway X-20 Irons

Yep, these are the ones Rocco used to go to extra holes in the US Open against Tiger Woods. This model still sells in the $250 range for a used set, meaning they are still coveted by those in the know.

I tried a 6 iron and 3 iron on the range the other day and this particular model, the X-20, feels much different than the rest of the Callaway "X" line of irons. Soft feel, almost forged and more of a penetrating trajectory. I'm talking about the regular version, not the tour series. The ones I tried out had the uniflex shaft and were in like new condition for $129 for 5-PW & Gap wedge.

They seem to have a smaller head and a tad less offset than the rest of the X line of Callaway irons.

Anyone try them? Anyone? Bueller?

I think they were the irons I played recently whilst on vacation back in March. Only problem was there was a South African Super Rugby team staying at the same resort and they had hired out all the steel irons so I had to use graphite. As much as we like to diss cast POS shovels the truth is that round reminded me once and for all that it is the Indian not the arrow. The clubs were fine if a little chunky for my taste.

A buddy of mine also plays them and whilst he is a high cap hack (19) he can hit the 3 iron a mile.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Do you like the uniflex shaft? I once hired some Callaway Fusion irons and they felt like crap to me. I assumed it was the uniflex shaft.

Now where the f#ck am I?

i have a set and love them. Easy to hit, feel great.
    My set was 4-PW, SW. I complement them with 50* and 60* wedges of my choise.

$129 for the set is killer! Great price to pick up for a second set to leave at your vacation house. Just add a driver and FW/gheybrid.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Do you like the uniflex shaft? I once hired some Callaway Fusion irons and they felt like crap to me. I assumed it was the uniflex shaft.
    No, the head is the problem with the Fusion irons. What a junk set of irons! I've seen used sets at $149 and they originally sold for over $1,000.

Sometimes you can have the same shaft in two different heads that look very similar and the feel is totally different. A good example is the Callaway X-16 vs. the X-20. The latter feels much better.

Here's a set of Callaway irons about which I'd forgotton. It's dissimilar to more recent models from appearances.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Callaway-Bob...Club-/45074538

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    i have a set and love them. Easy to hit, feel great.
    My set was 4-PW, SW. I complement them with 50* and 60* wedges of my choise.

$129 for the set is killer! Great price to pick up for a second set to leave at your vacation house. Just add a driver and FW/gheybrid.
    I took the plunge today. During lunchtime I went over to Golf Mart to check out recent additions to the used club section. Low and behold, right before my eyes was a set of Callaway X-20 irons 5-PW in darn good condition for $129. They have a little red line in the top groove of each iron indicating 2 degrees flat, perfect for me. I asked the sales guy/manager if I could take them home for $99 and he agreed. I was a little concerned over the fact that I was only getting 5-PW so I mozied on over to the single club bin to see if I might luck out.

Wouldn't you know it but there in the bin were three X-22 irons...3,4 & 5. They were priced at $19.99 but he let me have them for $9.99 each. I only purchased the 3 & 4. The X-22 looks almost identical to the X-20.

Prior to purchasing these irons I tried them in the simulator and they felt awesome, even better than the X-14 I played over the weekend. Better looking too.

Now I'm set for at least 6 months.

Really nice buys. The prices you're getting on that stuff is crazy. I don't think I have a GG around me, but I guess I should find out.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Really nice buys. The prices you're getting on that stuff is crazy. I don't think I have a GG around me, but I guess I should find out.
    He got them at a Golf Mart, not Golf Galaxy. I have a Golf Galaxy and a new Golfsmith near me. The used clubs at the Golf Galaxy are usually dirt cheap except for recent drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons. Slightly older models are frequently steals. Now Golfsmith is ridiculously expensive but they have a much larger used selection. So if you just absolutely have to have a certain iron set or single club, that's your place and you can expect to pay double or more what you would at Golf Galaxy and Ebay. The good news for you is that left-handed clubs, although much more scarce, are usually a good bit cheaper.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    He got them at a Golf Mart, not Golf Galaxy.
    D'oh. Me don't read too good.
    I keeps it real.

They key is knowing which guy to speak with at Golf Mart. I always ask the same guy if he'll work with me on price because I know he's an assistant manager and can make the call on his own. The last thing I want is for some sales guy to go and ask another guy if he'll agree to a price reduction.

They also had a set of Callaway X-22 Tour irons with Project X 5.5, original Callaway Grips for $159 for 3-PW. I might be able to get him to come down by $29 on those as well and then try them out and resell them for $229 on Ebay. After fees that would be a C-note. That's two rounds of golf plus a tuna sandwhich right there.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Yep, these are the ones Rocco used to go to extra holes in the US Open against Tiger Woods. This model still sells in the $250 range for a used set, meaning they are still coveted by those in the know.

I tried a 6 iron and 3 iron on the range the other day and this particular model, the X-20, feels much different than the rest of the Callaway "X" line of irons. Soft feel, almost forged and more of a penetrating trajectory. I'm talking about the regular version, not the tour series. The ones I tried out had the uniflex shaft and were in like new condition for $129 for 5-PW & Gap wedge.

They seem to have a smaller head and a tad less offset than the rest of the X line of Callaway irons.

Anyone try them? Anyone? Bueller?
    When I travel I never take my clubs. I rent clubs and learn what (and whether) there is any real difference. There isn't! I played great in Albuquerque with Taylormade RACs and driver. I still hit it straight and long enough to compete from the blues. Those shafts were steel. I usually play graphite OS BB Callaway 2002 shovels. But there was almost no discernable difference. Offset? I don't even know. That doesn't make any difference when you have a golf swing. Ever hear a teaching pro say, "well this works differently if you swing offset irons?" Nope. Fundamentals are fundamentals. I can hit them long and straight with ancient blades as well as modern graphite cavity backs.

There is almost no difference in drivers or 3w either. Whatever I pick up, I just aim the clubface down the fairway and hit it there. No biggie. Again, fundamentals are fundamentals. I know you guys hate to hear this, but lessons really do help!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    When I travel I never take my clubs. I rent clubs and learn what (and whether) there is any real difference. There isn't! I played great in Albuquerque with Taylormade RACs and driver. I still hit it straight and long enough to compete from the blues. Those shafts were steel. I usually play graphite OS BB Callaway 2002 shovels. But there was almost no discernable difference. Offset? I don't even know. That doesn't make any difference when you have a golf swing. Ever hear a teaching pro say, "well this works differently if you swing offset irons?" Nope. Fundamentals are fundamentals. I can hit them long and straight with ancient blades as well as modern graphite cavity backs.

There is almost no difference in drivers or 3w either. Whatever I pick up, I just aim the clubface down the fairway and hit it there. No biggie. Again, fundamentals are fundamentals. I know you guys hate to hear this, but lessons really do help!

Larry
    I completely agree with you. I've played X-14s in the deserts of Scottsdale, X-16s on the plains in Oklahoma and X-20s along the sands of Spyglass. In every case I was hitting darts at the flag.

You are incorrect about the driver, however. After a few more years of lessons you might become good enough to notice differences in trajectory, shaft flex and launch angle.

You see, they create drivers with different lofts, lies and shaft flex to fit a variety of players. That's why each company provides a fitting process. I doubt you could hit the driver I play more than 5 feet off the ground. Of course, I would never let you hit it. The last thing my driver needs is a sky mark.

Have a wonderful evening.

I know you guys hate to hear this, but lessons really do help!

Larry
    I'm pretty confident that most of us have had lessons, and that few of us believe that equipment is more important than skill.

Some of us are gearheads. I could kill myself equally dead, hitting a bridge abutment just as hard, in a vintage Ferrari or a ZL1 Camaro. A Ferrari would be more romantic and make for a better newspaper story.

It's one thing if equipment doesn't interest you, but I find it to be a compelling topic. As for lessons, I still remember what my NEPGA Champion instructor showed me forty years ago.

PS. That sectional club pro championship put him into the PGA Championship Tournament.

In what majors has your coach played?

I completely agree with you. I've played X-14s in the deserts of Scottsdale, X-16s on the plains in Oklahoma and X-20s along the sands of Spyglass. In every case I was hitting darts at the flag.

You are incorrect about the driver, however. After a few more years of lessons you might become good enough to notice differences in trajectory, shaft flex and launch angle.

You see, they create drivers with different lofts, lies and shaft flex to fit a variety of players. That's why each company provides a fitting process. I doubt you could hit the driver I play more than 5 feet off the ground. Of course, I would never let you hit it. The last thing my driver needs is a sky mark.

Have a wonderful evening.
    And you would hate the ball mark on the back of the clubhead. I am a lefty.

Really, I can adjust after a few swings to nearly any driver. I might smother one, sky one, and then I would hit it straight and long.

If you are interested in learning how to swing, assuming you have the fundamentals to swing on plane, you should hit some balls with a Whippy driver. Clubshaft as flexible as a fly rod. But good players can hit them long and straight with it. Poor players can't hit it at all!

http://tempomaster.com/videos/drivershots.wmv

Here is a fat old physician hitting 300 yard drives to a target with a 300cc driver. That is a smooth swing. Does he care what the loft of the clubhead is or the flex characteristics of the shaft? Nope. He proves that an on-plane smooth swing brings an accelerating clubhead to the ball sends it straight and long. Nothing else matters!

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 06-25-2012 at 04:29 PM.

I might be able to get him to come down by $29 on those as well and then try them out and resell them for $229 on Ebay. After fees that would be a C-note. That's two rounds of golf plus a tuna sandwhich right there.
    That's what I was thinking. Given some of the prices you're quoting it sounds like profits on ebay can be had.
    I keeps it real.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)

For a hacker such as yourself, Larry, I'm sure there is no difference that you can discern.

Some of us are a little better than that.

After getting down into the low 80s consistently (with the occasional high 70s round) I made good on my promise to myself to buy some better clubs. After taking my time to test quite a few, I decided I liked the feel and the flight of Titleist's AP2 irons.

And buying them paid almost immediate dividends in that I scored my personal best round only a week and a half later with a 73.

Perhaps when you really do get to the point where you can hit the ball in the same place on the face more than one time in a row, then you can talk.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    For a hacker such as yourself, Larry, I'm sure there is no difference that you can discern.

Some of us are a little better than that.

After getting down into the low 80s consistently (with the occasional high 70s round) I made good on my promise to myself to buy some better clubs. After taking my time to test quite a few, I decided I liked the feel and the flight of Titleist's AP2 irons.

And buying them paid almost immediate dividends in that I scored my personal best round only a week and a half later with a 73.

Perhaps when you really do get to the point where you can hit the ball in the same place on the face more than one time in a row, then you can talk.

Post a video of your swing, back view and front. I expect it to be the same handsy OTT you have always had. And NOBODY can consistently hit it straight doing what you did (and probably do)

But post it and lets see what you have.

Larry

Post a video of your swing, back view and front. I expect it to be the same handsy OTT you have always had. And NOBODY can consistently hit it straight doing what you did (and probably do)

Sure, Larry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF4rCRuERfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWg-9naTuWQ

But remember what really counts is score and I not only shoot in the low 80s... ...I do it pretty consistently and just as easily at courses I don't know as course with which I'm familiar.

I'll be sure to laugh when you tell me that I'm "LATE" even though the entire world (well, the entire honest world) can see that my weight is onto my left side.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

You should, those clubs will help golfers like you and FD straighten out your 25 yd slices. Me? I got rid of them, hooked them too much-but that offset will help a player like you two.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    Sure, Larry:

But remember what really counts is score and I not only shoot in the low 80s... ...I do it pretty consistently and just as easily at courses I don't know as course with which I'm familiar.

I'll be sure to laugh when you tell me that I'm "LATE" even though the entire world (well, the entire honest world) can see that my weight is onto my left side.

I don't think that swing is "handsy" at all. You commit through the ball, nothing wrong with that.

Sure, Larry:

I notice in several of the videos you are wearing the same outfit but you've posted the videos on here at different times.

Were all of the videos filmed on the same day or is that your driving range outfit?

On another note, your swing looks pretty solid and it appears that you hit the ball clean. Why are you not scoring better than low 80's? To me you appear to have the swing of someone that shoots in the 70's.

Finally, I noticed in your comment section that you were working on your swing with James Harper. It was always my understanding that Jim Harper was skinned alive and hung upside down in Predator. As Arnold quoted "It's Jim Harper. They skinned him alive".

I notice in several of the videos you are wearing the same outfit but you've posted the videos on here at different times.

Were all of the videos filmed on the same day or is that your driving range outfit?
    It's my cold day driving range outfit, and we've had too many of those this year here in Vancouver...

On another note, your swing looks pretty solid and it appears that you hit the ball clean. Why are you not scoring better than low 80's? To me you appear to have the swing of someone that shoots in the 70's.
    Thanks. I think I'll be getting back to that soon; my last nine was a 38 (par 35) and it was one of those times when you don't really feel you played well, but you get to the end and you're score says differently. I find that when I start having those, I've definitely moved on to a new level.

Finally, I noticed in your comment section that you were working on your swing with James Harper. It was always my understanding that Jim Harper was skinned alive and hung upside down in Predator. As Arnold quoted "It's Jim Harper. They skinned him alive".
    He told me it was just a bad rash...

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by A V Twiss View Post
    I don't think that swing is "handsy" at all. You commit through the ball, nothing wrong with that.
    Thanks. That's been a major theme for me the last while: keep a steady spine, but keep rotating all the way through the shot.

I still need to get my top position to be a little less across the line at times, but it's getting there.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

The silence from Larry is deafening.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by huskyhater View Post
    You should, those clubs will help golfers like you and FD straighten out your 25 yd slices. Me? I got rid of them, hooked them too much-but that offset will help a player like you two.
    Thanks for the tip. I knew we'd grow to be best buds.
    I keeps it real.

Uniflex shafts = We are too phucking lazy to fit your swing correctly.

Nothing to see here guys, please move away from the crime scene.

Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    Uniflex shafts = We are too phucking lazy to fit your swing correctly.
    Don't get FD started on True Temper ZZ Lites.

I hit a few shots on the practice tee with some steel shafted irons, and it was fun because the feedback to the hands brought back memories. (I'm not sure how much fun it would be on the last six holes with my hands swollen.)

They were, according to the frayed bands, Brunswick/Royal Precision MicroTapers, which I don't believe are still around.

People who want low kick shafts don't play steel anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Don't get FD started on True Temper ZZ Lites.

I hit a few shots on the practice tee with some steel shafted irons, and it was fun because the feedback to the hands brought back memories. (I'm not sure how much fun it would be on the last six holes with my hands swollen.)

They were, according to the frayed bands, Brunswick/Royal Precision MicroTapers, which I don't believe are still around.

People who want low kick shafts don't play steel anymore.
    The ZZ-Lite was not a uniflex shaft, per se. It was a shaft light years ahead of it's time. To this day it's the greatest accomplishment in shaft technology because it worked for all skill levels--the PGA Tour pro and the weekend player.

Graphite is OK. It's easier on your joints and hands but the trade-off is unsatisfying feel and a lack of control with the shorter irons. I know some guys that have had a lot of success with graphite, many years after they turned in their man card. Not everyone can suck in their pride like that. I admire your humility.

I know some guys that have had a lot of success with graphite, many years after they turned in their man card. Not everyone can suck in their pride like that. I admire your humility.
    The "old man" card has different rules.

The silence from Larry is deafening.
    I keep hoping that one day he'll finally feel "froggy" enough to actually man up to the wager that HE proposed...

...sigh.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

They key is knowing which guy to speak with at Golf Mart.
    We have been going to the Del Mar Golfmart for years. I bought my 2002 Callaway BBs new there-- in 2002! My golfing buddy buys his stuff there too, we have golfed Admiral Baker with one of the managers on his day off.

A former manager from the Del Mar store works in the Mission Valley store. That particular guy is a scratch golfer--- super good! He tried to qualify for the Champion's Tour a few years ago.

If my back is working again, I will hit a few on Encinitas Ranch tomorrow; it will be cool there. My pro buddy is in Hawaii, hopefully playing Kapalua. Must be nice to walk up to any pro shop and get on by showing your card.

I hear that works everywhere except Torrey Pines, money grubbing city course doesn't honor anything. Nice place (NOT!)

larry

Posted, but you went all coy on me...

I guess I'll just have to live without your insightful remarks and keep on scoring just the same.

TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid

We have been going to the Del Mar Golfmart for years. I bought my 2002 Callaway BBs new there-- in 2002! My golfing buddy buys his stuff there too, we have golfed Admiral Baker with one of the managers on his day off.

A former manager from the Del Mar store works in the Mission Valley store. That particular guy is a scratch golfer--- super good! He tried to qualify for the Champion's Tour a few years ago.

If my back is working again, I will hit a few on Encinitas Ranch tomorrow; it will be cool there. My pro buddy is in Hawaii, hopefully playing Kapalua. Must be nice to walk up to any pro shop and get on by showing your card.

I hear that works everywhere except Torrey Pines, money grubbing city course doesn't honor anything. Nice place (NOT!)

larry
    The customer service at the Del Mar GolfMart is not nearly as good as the Mission Valley store. They've got some 20-something girl in their who has an IQ of about 70. The other people are very quiet and stand behind the counter chatting with one another. The Encinitas store is also much better with customer service as well as used clubs.

I don't think that we've got Golfmarts here in the Northeast. If we do, I don't recall seeing them.

We've got Dick's Sporting Goods, and their golf departments seriously suck. Big time. The one closest to me doesn't have a single 4-wood or higher lofted than 10.5° men's driver in its inventory. If you have to know a little bit about golf to know that something exists, then Dick's doesn't have it.

No used bins, either. Our green grass pro shops have most of those.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I don't think that we've got Golfmarts here in the Northeast. If we do, I don't recall seeing them.

We've got Dick's Sporting Goods, and their golf departments seriously suck. Big time. The one closest to me doesn't have a single 4-wood or higher lofted than 10.5° men's driver in its inventory. If you have to know a little bit about golf to know that something exists, then Dick's doesn't have it.
    Dick's only sells new stuff. Dick's owns Golf Galaxy and that store does sell used stuff. The Dick's near me has only one old guy working in the golf section every weekend day I've been in there in the last three years, maybe four times. Golf Galaxy has ten guys working during normal business hours, not retail hours, on weekdays. Dick's accepts trade-ins and sends them all to
    3balls Golf for re-sale. Golf Galaxy sells their own trade-ins in the store. I despise Dick's so much that when I needed to buy a pair of golf shoes two months ago, I went to Dick's to look around and then drove the ten miles to Golf Galaxy and bought the exact same shoes that I tried on at Dick's.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Dick's only sells new stuff. Dick's owns Golf Galaxy and that store does sell used stuff. The Dick's near me has only one old guy working in the golf section every weekend day I've been in there in the last three years, maybe four times. Golf Galaxy has ten guys working during normal business hours, not retail hours, on weekdays. Dick's accepts trade-ins and sends them all to
    3balls Golf for re-sale. Golf Galaxy sells their own trade-ins in the store. I despise Dick's so much that when I needed to buy a pair of golf shoes two months ago, I went to Dick's to look around and then drove the ten miles to Golf Galaxy and bought the exact same shoes that I tried on at Dick's.
    Mongrel and Nifty,

You would be in heaven in Southern California with Roger Dunn and Golf Mart. Every once in awhile I go to the Orange County area and I visit the Roger Dunn Superstore. It's the largest golf store I have ever seen. They must have over 100 used sets of irons at all times and probably 500 used drivers. The Golf Mart near me probably has 50 sets of used irons and about 150 used drivers..many are the same make and model. They usually have about 50 used putters.

The Golf Galaxy near me usually has about 20 to 30 used drivers and 6 or 7 used sets of irons. A few scatterings of wedges, hybrids & fairway woods and then maybe 6 to 10 used putters.

Golfsmith sucks. There has been this set of used Titleist 755 irons that I've seen sitting in the used rack each time I go there. That same set has sat there for over 2 years now. It's still priced at $329. I spoke to the manager and offered to buy them for $175 and he said "can't do it, I've got $200 into them". I said "your $200 investment has been sitting on the rack for two years. That's not a very good return, nor is it a good way to generate cash flow". He didn't get it.

I'm certain Golfsmith will be out of business in 2 years.

Callaway X-20 Update. I'm hitting these irons great. I have the standard version (not the tour version) with uniflex shafts. These irons are long, feel great and have a penetrating trajectory. What surprises me most is the feel, very soft. For the first time every I have a matching gap wedge and sand wedge to the rest of the set. I'm hitting those clubs better than ever. Actually, I have the X-22 Gap Wedge but it's essentially the same club.

I also picked up a set of Ping Raptures with AWT Stiff at Golf Galaxy (GG) for $249 but I had a $40 off coupon. Picked up the SW to match the set. Bing, Bang, Boom! That's what I'm talkin' about!

Nice. I might bid on some X-20s out there on 3balls right now. I have the X-18s, but from what you're saying, the feel on the 20s is different.

I sold the JPX 800s w/ Px 4.5 graphite that I had bought on fleabay for a small profit. I still want to get the Mizzy's with stock shaft, but can't bring myself to pay for a new set. I'm forcing myself to wait around for someone on ebay to drop a near mint used set at a discount. Until then, I'd like to fart around with something else.
    I keeps it real.

Nice. I might bid on some X-20s out there on 3balls right now. I have the X-18s, but from what you're saying, the feel on the 20s is different.

I sold the JPX 800s w/ Px 4.5 graphite that I had bought on fleabay for a small profit. I still want to get the Mizzy's with stock shaft, but can't bring myself to pay for a new set. I'm forcing myself to wait around for someone on ebay to drop a near mint used set at a discount. Until then, I'd like to fart around with something else.
    Don't kid yourself. The X-18s and 20s will be exactly the same feel and performance wise. The only difference is one has 18 and the other has 20 stamped on it.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Don't kid yourself. The X-18s and 20s will be exactly the same feel and performance wise. The only difference is one has 18 and the other has 20 stamped on it.
    The heads are fairly similar looking but the feel is definitely different, possibly caused by the shaft. I've heard the original X-20 bore through has Dynamic Lite shafts and the X-22 shaft is more flexible with a higher kickpoint.

Mongrel and Nifty,

You would be in heaven in Southern California with Roger Dunn and Golf Mart. Every once in awhile I go to the Orange County area and I visit the Roger Dunn Superstore. It's the largest golf store I have ever seen. They must have over 100 used sets of irons at all times and probably 500 used drivers. The Golf Mart near me probably has 50 sets of used irons and about 150 used drivers..many are the same make and model. They usually have about 50 used putters.

The Golf Galaxy near me usually has about 20 to 30 used drivers and 6 or 7 used sets of irons. A few scatterings of wedges, hybrids & fairway woods and then maybe 6 to 10 used putters.

Golfsmith sucks. There has been this set of used Titleist 755 irons that I've seen sitting in the used rack each time I go there. That same set has sat there for over 2 years now. It's still priced at $329. I spoke to the manager and offered to buy them for $175 and he said "can't do it, I've got $200 into them". I said "your $200 investment has been sitting on the rack for two years. That's not a very good return, nor is it a good way to generate cash flow". He didn't get it.

I'm certain Golfsmith will be out of business in 2 years.
    I bought my set of Tit 755's maybe two years ago at Golf Galaxy for $135. 3-PW with Tri-Spec stiff shafts. I pulled the Tri-Specs and put in a set of Dynalight Gold SL's. I still have the Tri-Spec and the Dynalight Gold SL shafts. I sold the heads on Ebay months ago for $90 or so. I forget exactly. I liked those 755's OK but I like my Mizuno MX GFF Shovels a lot better. I was in Golf Galaxy earlier today buying some grips. Boy is their used iron set supply down. They had a set of Mizuno MP 57's for about $265 or so and they looked pretty sweet but they have Dynamic Gold
    S300's in them and those would have to go ASAP but I have my eye on them. They had a decent supply of used drivers including some Tit 910's but with way high prices on them. But then, even the 910 driver heads are selling north of two bills on Ebay. Must be the Holy Grail, eh?

Oh, and they had a bunch of used putters. You can tell from a distance because the used ones have the blue price bands around the shafts just above the hosels. So I picked one up without even looking at the head to see what it was or the price tag and stroked three or four six footers and made each one dead center perfect. Then I hit two to the far cup--maybe 25 feet away with a two-ball break to the left (maybe its the grain) and they both fell in on the high side of the cup. Perfect line and speed. T97"en I looked at the head and it was a freaking Scottish Cameroon and the price tag read "$135.97" and I stomped off to look at grips. Damned if I'm going to pay more than $19.97 for a fooking putter. Later tonight I am going to put some lead tape on the back of the Nitro CG-One putter head and try to get it to feel like that Scottish putter.
    Last edited by mongrel; 07-17-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot

Glad you're enjoying them FD! My set is always reliable. I just polished them up a bit on a cloth wheel and they look brand new again.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Thread Information