|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Dog People

Dog People

When I was growing up we had several dogs. Our first was a basset hound named Mandy who had puppies and I was the only one she let around them when I was 2 years old. She died soon after. Our next basset was named Dudley and we had him for 8 years before he got out and got hit by a car. We then got a golden retriever that was the Ford Pinto of retrievers...skittish, afraid of water, insecure, etc. We eventually gave her to another family. Later we got some more basset hounds. So, it's fair to say that I have had experience as a dog owner and liked them very much.

However, I would not consider myself to be a dog person. I like dogs and I think they are fun to be around but I do not love them or think they are part of the family. I do not show unconditional love to them or take their side if they've been bad.

This brings us around to the subject of true dog people. These are the people that bring their dogs to picnics and parties they've been invited to, never bothering to ask the host if it's OK to bring their dogs. They just assume that everyone else loves their dogs and that if they don't, tough sh!t.

These people have no issues with the dirty animal sleeping on their beds and when guests come over they let their dogs jump all over them and say "oh, don't worry, Sparky is harmless". They do the same thing when little kids come around.."oh, don't worry, Sparky never bit anyone. He loves kids".

I play golf with a guy who owns a pit bull (a dog I think should be led to extinction) and he tells me how the dog was growling at a lady crossing the street and he said to the lady "the dog sees you as a threat because your hands are behind you back. Just put them to the side". Why should a lady walking down the street need to change what she's doing so that the dog doesn't growl?

You see what I'm getting at? I don't understand you dog people. It's almost the same as a discussion over religion or politics. You expect everyone to like your dogs and to tolerate them, even when they behave in a threatening manner.

I remember we had this neighbor who's dogs jumped on our housekeeper as she was riding her bike home. The owner just stood there and watched it happen. I don't get it. What's wrong with you people?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pitb...ient=firefox-a

I like dogs but I don't like to be around those who are known to attack people. I hate it when I see people who walk dogs around and they sh$$$$t on your yard and the owner just walk away from it... That kind of action is very irresponsible

I've got a dog. My dog will be missed when she's dead, though probably not immediately replaced. It would be nice to have a few years without the hair and poop-scooping.
    Although, my daughter adores the animal and may compell me to get another one. I've seen too many friends' dogs that are either needy, skitish, loud, messy, aggressive, etc. Mine is none of those things.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I'm not impressed with people who treat dogs as property or livestock. If you don't want your dog to be a full status member of your family, then you're not a dog person and shouldn't have one.

It is important to understand that everybody doesn't love your dog, but my nephew and my brother before him simply doesn't / wouldn't associate with people who don't / didn't welcome their dogs.

I'm getting a dog when I leave the beach and buy another condo in the city. And that's probably when I'll give up golf to walk around town with it.

I love dogs, but I'm not crazy about being a pet owner. But the fiancé and her daughter wanted one so they bring a Shepard mix mutt from the shelter that looks a lot like Mongrel's avatar. It's a great low key, low maintenance dog. She's friendly, full grown, house trained, and doesn't chew sh!t up. Also the dog is completely silent. I think the previous owner must've had a shock collar on her, cause she don't make a sound. Without a doubt, the best dog I've had.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

My avatar is my dog. My wife rescued him from a shelter years ago and brought him home as a puppy. I did not want a dog but the dog adopted me and now were are inseparable when I am home. We do not take the dog out except for walks in the neighborhood. We carry plastic bags in the offhand chance that he sh*ts on the sidewalk or someone's front yard which he has never done. He will urinate on every bush, mailbox poll, fire hydrant, and trash bag on the street but that's just what they do so it is cool.

The dog is like a third human in our house. He eats when we eat. When I go to sleep, he goes to sleep. When I awake, so does he. If I am watching golf, so is he. And if my wife comes in when I have gotten up to go get a snack or hit the head and changes the channel from the golf, he will growl at her. Good dog.

I know people who will not come to our house when invited for swims and cookouts because they do not like the dog. F*ck them. Stay away. When the dog dies, I will bury him in the backyard overlooking the easement area that is separated from our rear lot line by a chain link fence. State Highways installed rip-rap in this easement area and it is a critter highway for racoons, deer, rabbits and whatever else moves by night. The dog will sit for hours watching for critters. I figure he would like to do that in Eternity and so it shall be.

If any other animal or person would move to cause grave bodily harm to the dog, I will kill it/him. End of story.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I'm not impressed with people who treat dogs as property or livestock. If you don't want your dog to be a full status member of your family, then you're not a dog person and shouldn't have one.

It is important to understand that everybody doesn't love your dog, but my nephew and my brother before him simply doesn't / wouldn't associate with people who don't / didn't welcome their dogs.

I'm getting a dog when I leave the beach and buy another condo in the city. And that's probably when I'll give up golf to walk around town with it.
    Nifty, I highlighted above the part that I can't empathize with. I simply don't understand this kind of thinking. To me, it's approaching anti-social behavior and a complete lack of consideration for other human beings. Why would someone put their dog above the relationships they have with other human beings? Also, why would they expect someone else to want their dog around?

I guess it's a completely different mind set and a simple matter of fact that there are dog people and then people who like dogs but don't see them as that important. It may be one of those things that can't be argued because one side can't understand the other.

The company my wife used to work for would have occassional parties at the boss' house. One of the employees and her husband would always bring these two gigantic dogs with them. When they arrived with the dogs everyone there would roll their eyes. We knew we were in for a night-long discussion of their dogs, what their dogs did lately, etc. I thought the boss should have told them to take their horse-dogs back home.

I'm a dog person. I won't go into specific feelings as they mimic Mongrel's pretty well. I do respect the fact that others aren't dog people and probably don't want my dogs slobbering and whining around them. Also, those who don't clean up after their dogs should be shot and buried in the dog feces.

I will add that if a random stranger and a dog were drowning in a river and I could only save one of them, it would be the dog. People are inherently evil. Dogs are not.
    I keeps it real.

This is getting interesting. I wondering if there is a link between being a dog lover and having a bit of anti-social behavior. In other words, a general disdain for other people. If you think about it, people become attached to dogs because the dog is completely loyal and loves it's owner unconditionally. The dog doesn't argue back, is humble and never questions authority. The dog is always there when it's owner needs it. In effect, an owner of a dog is it's master and can basically control everything it does. Naturally, the owner's affection for the dog is very high because the owner has never experienced such unconditional love and obedience by any human being. Slavery most likely provided similar feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Nifty, I highlighted above the part that I can't empathize with. I simply don't understand this kind of thinking. To me, it's approaching anti-social behavior and a complete lack of consideration for other human beings. Why would someone put their dog above the relationships they have with other human beings?
    OK, that was a bit overstated. We all associate with people in relationships that don't involve our dogs. I guess what I meant to say is that dog people will often not put themselves in relationships that could precipitate conflicts.

If you live with your dog, and you consider your dog to be a companion and not simply property, he/she is simply more important than another creature, regardless of species, with whom you don't live.

I'll tell you a story. I knew this younger guy who lived outside the city near a small farm. His black lab, the friendliest dog you could possibly want, ran onto the farm and was shot dead by the owner.

This guy did nothing about it, and I just couldn't be his friend anymore. If he had slowly and painfully dismembered the shooter, however, I would have happily helped him dispose of the body.

I've gotten closer to my nephew's greyhound than to my brother's beagle in the avatar, because Fidel was a one man dog and didn't show a lot of affection to others. The greyhound has been all over me since I've been living here, however.

I will definitely want a dog of my own. Right now, however, I've got a game. Catch you later.

OK, that was a bit overstated. We all associate with people in relationships that don't involve our dogs. I guess what I meant to say is that dog people will often not put themselves in relationships that could precipitate conflicts.

If you live with your dog, and you consider your dog to be a companion and not simply property, he/she is simply more important than another creature, regardless of species, with whom you don't live.

I'll tell you a story. I knew this younger guy who lived outside the city near a small farm. His black lab, the friendliest dog you could possibly want, ran onto the farm and was shot dead by the owner.

This guy did nothing about it, and I just couldn't be his friend anymore. If he had slowly and painfully dismembered the shooter, however, I would have happily helped him dispose of the body.

I've gotten closer to my nephew's greyhound than to my brother's beagle in the avatar, because Fidel was a one man dog and didn't show a lot of affection to others. The greyhound has been all over me since I've been living here, however.

I will definitely want a dog of my own. Right now, however, I've got a game. Catch you later.
    Interesting. My wife's best friend lives out in Victorville and owns 5 acres. They have goats, horses, etc. The neighbors had two rottweillers who one day got under the fence, ran over to the goats and started tearing them apart (literally). So, my wife's friend goes out there with her 22 and shoots and kills both of the rotweillers. When the neighbors found out they were screaming at her for killing their dogs. Never once did they apologize for their dogs getting under the fence and killing the goats. They then buried the dogs right next to the area of the fence where they went under. They only way to explain that kind of thinking is anti-social behavior, denial and the inablity to think logically.

Now, if a dog simply runs into someone else's property and gets shot for no reason that's a different story. A black lab is not the same as a rotweiller.

When I was growing up we had several dogs. Our first was a basset hound named Mandy who had puppies and I was the only one she let around them when I was 2 years old. She died soon after. Our next basset was named Dudley and we had him for 8 years before he got out and got hit by a car. We then got a golden retriever that was the Ford Pinto of retrievers...skittish, afraid of water, insecure, etc. We eventually gave her to another family. Later we got some more basset hounds. So, it's fair to say that I have had experience as a dog owner and liked them very much.

However, I would not consider myself to be a dog person. I like dogs and I think they are fun to be around but I do not love them or think they are part of the family. I do not show unconditional love to them or take their side if they've been bad.

This brings us around to the subject of true dog people. These are the people that bring their dogs to picnics and parties they've been invited to, never bothering to ask the host if it's OK to bring their dogs. They just assume that everyone else loves their dogs and that if they don't, tough sh!t.

These people have no issues with the dirty animal sleeping on their beds and when guests come over they let their dogs jump all over them and say "oh, don't worry, Sparky is harmless". They do the same thing when little kids come around.."oh, don't worry, Sparky never bit anyone. He loves kids".

I play golf with a guy who owns a pit bull (a dog I think should be led to extinction) and he tells me how the dog was growling at a lady crossing the street and he said to the lady "the dog sees you as a threat because your hands are behind you back. Just put them to the side". Why should a lady walking down the street need to change what she's doing so that the dog doesn't growl?

You see what I'm getting at? I don't understand you dog people. It's almost the same as a discussion over religion or politics. You expect everyone to like your dogs and to tolerate them, even when they behave in a threatening manner.

I remember we had this neighbor who's dogs jumped on our housekeeper as she was riding her bike home. The owner just stood there and watched it happen. I don't get it. What's wrong with you people?

http://www.andiesisle.com/GoD_and_DoG.html

"Normal" people feel the unconditional love from dogs and respond in kind. I have never felt comfortable in business with someone who is not also a dog-lover. In a child, that portends bad things. A kid that would actually hurt a dog may turn out to be a criminal. So if behavior in a golf round is a good metaphor business trustworthiness, dog ownership is probably better! Show me a nice guy on the golf course who also loves his dogs, and I will show you someone I would loan money to!

We have two Standard Poodles. They sleep in our bedroom. On weekend mornings, they get on our bed while we have coffee. Before them we had Rottweilers (which usually win the obedience events at dog shows. Rottweillers were bred to be herding dogs in Germany--NOT guard dogs and never hostile to humans or other animals. They are actually smarter than Poodles!) Poodles don't shed, but they must be professionally groomed every 2 months or so.

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 05-31-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Interesting. My wife's best friend lives out in Victorville and owns 5 acres. They have goats, horses, etc. The neighbors had two rottweillers who one day got under the fence, ran over to the goats and started tearing them apart (literally). So, my wife's friend goes out there with her 22 and shoots and kills both of the rotweillers. When the neighbors found out they were screaming at her for killing their dogs. Never once did they apologize for their dogs getting under the fence and killing the goats. They then buried the dogs right next to the area of the fence where they went under. They only way to explain that kind of thinking is anti-social behavior, denial and the inablity to think logically.

Now, if a dog simply runs into someone else's property and gets shot for no reason that's a different story. A black lab is not the same as a rotweiller.
    As harsh as it may seem, if you unintenionally or intentionally permit your dog to trespass on the property of another, you are liable for anything that happens to it. Those neighbors whose dogs got under the fence in effect killed their own dogs. The goat owners were just trying to protect their animals. Who am I to judge whether a dog is a more precious life than a goat? Although millions of Afghanis would argue that there is no substitute for goat. Baked. Roasted. Sauteed. Deep-fried.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    As harsh as it may seem, if you unintenionally or intentionally permit your dog to trespass on the property of another, you are liable for anything that happens to it. Those neighbors whose dogs got under the fence in effect killed their own dogs. The goat owners were just trying to protect their animals. Who am I to judge whether a dog is a more precious life than a goat? Although millions of Afghanis would argue that there is no substitute for goat. Baked. Roasted. Sauteed. Deep-fried.
    Some lowlife scumbags have bred dogs that resemble Rottweilers to be vicious guard dogs for their drug dealing houses. Like Pit-bulls that are vicious, such animals they are dangerous and should be euthanized.

But "Good Dog Karl" is closer to the truth. Rottweilers from responsible breeders are sweet and extremely intelligent animals, descendents of the original German 2000+ year old breed. Ours watched TV and seemed to be trying to figure out the plot (especially if it included horses or dogs!) Rottweilers were with the Romans all over Europe.

BTW, if you want a good dog, nearly any breed, you will need to buy from a responsible breeder and pay big bucks! My Poodles are show quality--and puppies of that quality cost $2k minimum. Same with similar quality Rottweilers. You get what you pay for.

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 05-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post

I will add that if a random stranger and a dog were drowning in a river and I could only save one of them, it would be the dog. People are inherently evil. Dogs are not.
    I am told by some friends the reasons why they don't have any children "Dogs give you the joy without headaches, Kids give you the joys with a lot of headaches"... sounds like a harsh statement but there are some truths to that, they obey and loyal... I would like to have one, but right now I don't have time to give them full attention, maybe after I retire... The only concern is what to do when we are on vacation and go somewhere that we have to stay overnight. My siblings would love them, but I hate to bother my friends who do not have dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    I am told by some friends the reasons why they don't have any children "Dogs give you the joy without headaches, Kids give you the joys with a lot of headaches"... sounds like a harsh statement but there are some truths to that, they obey and loyal... I would like to have one, but right now I don't have time to give them full attention, maybe after I retire... The only concern is what to do when we are on vacation and go somewhere that we have to stay overnight. My siblings would love them, but I hate to bother my friends who do not have dogs
    Well, dogs are never going to wreck your car or ask you for college tuition money, ha.

We always have a dog and house sitter when we travel. Someone lives here while we are gone. The dogs have company and someone is here to watch all the sprinklers and water my tomatoes! Well worth the money!

Larry

Growing up and now living back on the family farm there have always been dogs around. Companionship, letting you know when somebody pulls up on the yard, keep the coons and other varmints away, hunting etc. As I have stated before, women, children and dogs need to be trained the same way. The sh!te or piss on the carpet, rub there noses in and out the door they go.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Growing up and now living back on the family farm there have always been dogs around. Companionship, letting you know when somebody pulls up on the yard, keep the coons and other varmints away, hunting etc. As I have stated before, women, children and dogs need to be trained the same way. The sh!te or piss on the carpet, rub there noses in and out the door they go.
    Quality animals simply don't do that. After the first week as an 8-week old puppy, smart and well-adjusted dogs understand that their latrine is outside. So they "ask" at the door when they need to go. Every dog I have had for 40 years has faithfully done that, zero mistakes. Again, you get what you pay for.

Larry

Out of curiousity, who, other than me, lives in a rural area. When I mean rural I'm talking about 20 or 30 miles away from a grocery store or a town of over 1000 people.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Out of curiousity, who, other than me, lives in a rural area. When I mean rural I'm talking about 20 or 30 miles away from a grocery store or a town of over 1000 people.
    I live 3 miles outside the small village of Rancho Santa Fe, about 20 miles North of San Diego. Fairly 'rural" in feeling, 2+ acre properties with no "homeowner" rules, etc. People have horses and other farm animals. We can't see a neighbor house in any direction. But this is also the country, with packs of coyotes and every other SW US wild animal abundant including bobcats and cougars, raccoons, possums, and much else. They lived here before houses were here so we feel we share the land with them. We hear the coyotes at night. We are comfortable and safe because our property is completely fenced and gated.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    Quality animals simply don't do that. After the first week as an 8-week old puppy, smart and well-adjusted dogs understand that their latrine is outside. So they "ask" at the door when they need to go. Every dog I have had for 40 years has faithfully done that, zero mistakes. Again, you get what you pay for.

Larry
    This is very general and it depends on the dog breed. Some never soil their home others will. We had an Akita that never, I mean never, soil indoors or in areas they lived. I imagine a poodle has the same temperament, but in a french gay sort of way. Our Akita was proud and fastidiousness and generally didn't like other animals outside of their immediate family.

Try to get a male chihuahua to not pee in the house. Some just don't get that the vast space of a home is their living space. Some of these chihuahua are very expensive. It's just in their nature.

We have two dogs right now. Both are working breads from eastern oregon and came from ranches. One in a Kelpie (mix?) and the other is a Australian cattle dog mix - (ACD). The kelpie was no problem getting house broke. The ACD was a bit problematic with the house breaking. We've concluded it's because she has ADD. She'll go out to pee then forget why she went out. Usually because she'll see a squirrel or something to chase. Then she'll come in. If we're home she'll ask to go out again but if we've left she'll pee on the floor. What are you going to do?

The people are bad owners. It's generally not the dogs fault. Pit bull terriers have strong pry drive. If you get one you better understand this. Beagles are scent hounds. If you get a scent hound you better have a clue what they are like because they just don't clue into anything we can relate. We're visually, they are 100% about scents.

All in all, dogs are good for people. They bring blood pressure down and give joy to most people. Cats and rabbits are good as well but to a lesser extent. Sorry to hear you don't enjoy a good pet. I've spent very little of my life not around dogs and cats.

I have 2 rescue dogs. I'm not a psycho owner, but I am quite fond of them. They had it made for years until the girls showed up...now, I sometimes find them walking around with hair clips and necklaces. They are both older, and its going to be pretty ugly around the Purist house when they go.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    I have 2 rescue dogs. I'm not a psycho owner, but I am quite fond of them. They had it made for years until the girls showed up...now, I sometimes find them walking around with hair clips and necklaces. They are both older, and its going to be pretty ugly around the Purist house when they go.
    I could have written this post verbatim.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    This is very general and it depends on the dog breed. Some never soil their home others will. We had an Akita that never, I mean never, soil indoors or in areas they lived. I imagine a poodle has the same temperament, but in a french gay sort of way. Our Akita was proud and fastidiousness and generally didn't like other animals outside of their immediate family.

Try to get a male chihuahua to not pee in the house. Some just don't get that the vast space of a home is their living space. Some of these chihuahua are very expensive. It's just in their nature.

We have two dogs right now. Both are working breads from eastern oregon and came from ranches. One in a Kelpie (mix?) and the other is a Australian cattle dog mix - (ACD). The kelpie was no problem getting house broke. The ACD was a bit problematic with the house breaking. We've concluded it's because she has ADD. She'll go out to pee then forget why she went out. Usually because she'll see a squirrel or something to chase. Then she'll come in. If we're home she'll ask to go out again but if we've left she'll pee on the floor. What are you going to do?
    I agree and do remember a few that were almost untrainable. We adopted older dogs a few times that hid behind the couch, etc.

Anyhow, we love our dogs (and Siamese cat). We love to watch them in the pool and I throw frisby and a ball for them in our front yard in the evenings. I take them to the beach and last weekend to a "dog park" where they ran with dozens of other dogs of every breed. That was fun and it is really good for their minds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIam-iSPHz0

They sleep in our bedroom-- and hear any noise inside or outside. We are pretty safe.

BTW, Poodles are NOT sissies! They were bred to be hunting dogs, water retreivers in France. The White one, Stella, was jumped by a big male Golden when we were walking past their house a few years ago. She was on a leash, but I quickly let her go so she could defend herself. Poodles are athletes among dogs. She had that big guy down and by the throat in about 10 seconds flat. He froze, which is dog signal that they surrender, and she let him up. The owner had come running out and complained that her dog was limping (Stella had bitten his foot). I laughed and said, "well, that'll teach him not to jump on strange females!" ha. She laughed about it later when he was OK. Of course they would not have fought if that stupid Golden had delayed a few seconds to detect that she was a female before he jumped her. Only Pit Bulls will fight across gender, that breed would literally "rather fight than f...k!" ha

Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 05-31-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I could have written this post verbatim.
    My hound mix has hip problems now. I might seriously have to put in some kind of handicap ramp in back of the house. I was telling a neighbor about this and not too long after my oldest daughter comes crying to me saying:
    "I don't want my dog to die."
    me: "Who said he was going to die?"
    her: "you said he was old"
    me "so"
    her "Things die when they get old."
    I have to give some awkward circle of life speech. Note that she has never voiced any concerns about the grand or great grand parents.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

I prefer dogs but it really depends on how they're prepared. Cats tend to be chewy and they don't yield much meat.

As far as having them for pets, that just never made sense to me. You feed them, take them to the vet, walk them (dogs) and they do what? I would think raising chickens or pigs would give you better results for the effort invested. And what if you want to take a vacation and they starve before you return? Then you have to buy new ones? And what's the point anyways, companionship? It's not like you can have a conversation with them, if it makes you feel better carry a stuffed animal around.

I have a parrot as it would be good for a couple of meals if I get cut off from an earthquake.
    GR lives...

I like dogs. As a kid I had a close neighbor with the greatest, sweetest golden retriever. I really loved that dog. However, I've never been interested in owning a dog though I'm not sure why. Perhaps a combination of the seemingly ever-present dog smell, the walks, and general neediness of the species.

I've always been a cat person. I think I like the fact that they're independent and have a ton of personality. You have to earn their trust and love. I've generally always had siamese of one type or another. Currently, we have two pure-bred Balinese. They're sisters from the same litter and look a lot like these two:

With Cat people, most are normal. However, much like crazy dog people, you have your seriously crazy cat people who have like 30 cats and smell like cat piss.
    Last edited by wofat; 05-31-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

These people don't understand that dogs and children are on completely different levels. Before we had our first born, Cletus (my oldest dog) was like a son to me. My wife joked that I loved the dog more than I loved her (which might have been true at the time). However, as soon as the baby was born everything changed; instantly and automatically. The love and joy you get from your kids is a trillion times greater than what you can get with a dog. I would lay down my life for my child without taking a second to think. There's no way I'd die for my dog.

That would actually be a good question to ask your friends; would they die for their dogs? I doubt the answer is yes.

BTW, good thread FD!
    I keeps it real.

I agree and do remember a few that were almost untrainable. We adopted older dogs a few times that hid behind the couch, etc.

Anyhow, we love our dogs (and Siamese cat). We love to watch them in the pool and I throw frisby and a ball for them in our front yard in the evenings. I take them to the beach and last weekend to a "dog park" where they ran with dozens of other dogs of every breed. That was fun and it is really good for their minds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIam-iSPHz0

They sleep in our bedroom-- and hear any noise inside or outside. We are pretty safe.

BTW, Poodles are NOT sissies! They were bred to be hunting dogs, water retreivers in France. The White one, Stella, was jumped by a big male Golden when we were walking past their house a few years ago. She was on a leash, but I quickly let her go so she could defend herself. Poodles are athletes among dogs. She had that big guy down and by the throat in about 10 seconds flat. He froze, which is dog signal that they surrender, and she let him up. The owner had come running out and complained that her dog was limping (Stella had bitten his foot). I laughed and said, "well, that'll teach him not to jump on strange females!" ha. She laughed about it later when he was OK. Of course they would not have fought if that stupid Golden had delayed a few seconds to detect that she was a female before he jumped her. Only Pit Bulls will fight across gender, that breed would literally "rather fight than f...k!" ha

Larry
    I'm very aware of the original breed but akc has ruined the breed like they do with every breed. The American version of the Akita has been ruined as well. I owned my Akita over 20 years ago and was small by akc's current standards. She was 70 lbs.

The akc is the reason we get mutts, working breeds, from ranches. Our dogs are healthy, athletic, medium sized dogs. They certainly are not some frog's envision of the ideal breed.

Did you or your wife pick the poodles as a breed? Not many men I know would pick a standard poodle.

The French philosopher Voltaire once said " The more I see of men the more I like dogs".
    Dogs have been man's companions for thousands and thousands of years. That ain't gonna change now. In fact the evolution of both species and the effect on each others behaviour has been studied and documented.
    My wife and I have always had dogs, in pairs (as they should always be at the least, they are a pack animal) and they have always been a loved part of the family. There are many benefits also which have been covered in this thread so far. Apart from companionship one great advantage is I never have to lock the door of my house. That cannot be overestimated in todays world. Obviously dogs are very territorial and will defend me and my (their home) till the death.
    Like larry I have had a Standard Poodle and you will not find a sweeter natured being on the surface of this planet.
    I now have a staffie/kelpie cross and a labradoodle; both great dogs and both I got from animal rescue. It feels great to give these blamless unfortunates a loving home.
    There are a lot of dog lovers out there. Some of the most committed ones work in the area of re-homing dogs. Humans are the better for their long standing relationships with dogs, we owe them a debt for their love of us.
    Last edited by oldplayer; 05-31-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

The people are bad owners. It's generally not the dogs fault. Pit bull terriers have strong pry drive. If you get one you better understand this. Beagles are scent hounds. If you get a scent hound you better have a clue what they are like because they just don't clue into anything we can relate. We're visually, they are 100% about scents.

All in all, dogs are good for people. They bring blood pressure down and give joy to most people. Cats and rabbits are good as well but to a lesser extent. Sorry to hear you don't enjoy a good pet. I've spent very little of my life not around dogs and cats.
    I enjoyed our pets like any other kid would...very much. I played with them, went on walks with them and enjoyed their company. However, I didn't value them over other human beings or defend everything they did. The dog slept in the bed with me when I was 5 and I can honestly say that I really cared for it.

Let's face it, dogs are loyal only because they can't fend for themselves. They would starve in the wild. They know this and realize that the best way to get fed on a regular basis and to be let into the house is to be kind to its owner.

The idea that humans fall in love with the dog based on its obediance, loyalty and uncompromising friendship sounds a little pathetic to me and goes back to my original assertion that the average dog lover is a bit anti-social and has trouble with human interaction. It also makes me wonder if dog lovers have control issues and are resentful over the fact that they can't control other humans in the same fashion.

Cat lovers are a different breed altogether. They are a strange breed of human. My brother's ex-wife (thank you Lord) had 3 cats that she wouldn't let out of the house because she said it was cruel to let them risk getting hit by a car. She didn't declaw them and they have torn up every piece of furniture, are psychotic from being kept indoors all day and now sh!t on the carpeting.

Just my opinion but that is nothing short of insanity. My brother got out alive, thank goodness. He's finally happy again.

This woman is also a vegetarian, won't let her boys play football and has a photo of them when they were 7 yrs old, dressed up as girls on the refrigerator.

What's with the reptile people? Why do you want a 10 foot python in a glass cage in your living room. Is the snake an extension of your killer personality? Get a friggin' life.

Why should a lady walking down the street need to change what she's doing so that the dog doesn't growl?
    +1 to this. But pit bull owners are not "dog people." They are members of a broader group that we don't talk about anymore, called "the lower classes." There is no doubt in my mind that if you canvassed any Jerry Springer or similar audience, you'd have a high percentage of bill bull owners, whereas among golfers or coin collectors the share would be negligible. For the first time in 55 years, I was recently bitten by a dog, a mastiff. Apparently he was going for the purse of the woman in front of me and missed. I had some bleeding on my left wrist, i.e. the one I have to bend properly to hit a crisp iron shot. I probably could have run to a dogbite lawyer and gotten a thousand bucks or so, but I didn't, which shows what a solid, responsible person I am. In other words, a conservative.

I'ma a qat lover. I've had 5 qatz in my life time and all have lived to 20+ years. Qatz are kewl. Dogs are cool to. Qat and dog owers are on different wavelengths tho. Dogs are always in your face dependant on you. Qatz are totally independant. Just leave some food and water, please.

What I dislike are dog owners who bring their dogs to the MTB trails and have the dog chase after other riders. I think it must be a high frequency generated by wheel spokes, they go nuts around bikes.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Quote Originally Posted by wofat View Post
    I like dogs. As a kid I had a close neighbor with the greatest, sweetest golden retriever. I really loved that dog. However, I've never been interested in owning a dog though I'm not sure why. Perhaps a combination of the seemingly ever-present dog smell, the walks, and general neediness of the species.

I've always been a cat person. I think I like the fact that they're independent and have a ton of personality. You have to earn their trust and love. I've generally always had siamese of one type or another. Currently, we have two pure-bred Balinese. They're sisters from the same litter and look a lot like these two:

With Cat people, most are normal. However, much like crazy dog people, you have your seriously crazy cat people who have like 30 cats and smell like cat piss.
    We are both. Our "Apple Head" Siamese is 12 years old and fully armed with all his natural weapons. When he was an outdoor cat, he was the terror of every lizard and bird out there. The crows and hawks would swoop down and pull tufts of fur out of him. They knew he could reach their nests. Now he is an indoor cat. The Poodles like him, give him licks now and then, allow him to eat from their dish, but they are afraid of him too! When he is in certain moods, they walk way around him! ha. But, in the evening watching TV on the couch, dogs and kitty all sleep together, fun to watch and listen to the purring.

Cats are NOT particularly smart or affectionate. They are much closer to wild animals that dogs are. They say if you died in a closed house with a cat, he would eat you, starting with your nose!

Larry

The more evolved mammals such as domesticated dogs and cats are diverse in the levels of intelligence of the individuals. There are lots of really dumb cats and dogs and a few very smart ones. When I was young living on our farm, every spring the feral female cats that lived in our barn would birth litters of anywhere from two to seven or eight kittens. As these infants grew over the weeks, one or two would approach us humans from time to time and the rest were scared to death of us. Eventually one kitten would identify itself by its bold behaviour as a potential House Cat which was essential to have since our farmhouse was built around 1745 with walls of field stone two feet thick and more rodent portals than a chain link fence. So a live-in Mouser was essential. One spring as I was entering my Teen Age Years, a female calico kitten captured our hearts and became House Cat. My mother named her after her favourite TV character played by Amanda Blake on the show Gunsmoke. Miss Kitty got her reproductive system shut down and quickly started to gain weight until, when I was a junior in High Screwel, she punched the bathroom scale down to around 20 poiunds. But she was not an obese lethargic slug. Oftentimes in the moderate seasons, she would stay outside for a day or two around the time of the Full Moon and then come back inside. After a year or two, I figured out that she was out hunting critters during those forays. Miss Kitty passed away at the ripe old age of 18.

I have to admit those are two pretty cool looking cats. I take it you like "old world" furniture?

Those two Siamese remind me of biology class in high school. Everybody had to disect a cat and when they brought em in (dead and bagged already) my buddy and I had a fat siamese to cut up. What a pain in the ass. All that fat made it that much harder to slice and dice.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Those two Siamese remind me of biology class in high school. Everybody had to disect a cat and when they brought em in (dead and bagged already) my buddy and I had a fat siamese to cut up. What a pain in the ass. All that fat made it that much harder to slice and dice.
    Well, that might work. Could you tell how much meat the cat would have yielded? Maybe with the fat the meat would have been nicely marbled.
    GR lives...

Cats are NOT particularly smart or affectionate. They are much closer to wild animals that dogs are. They say if you died in a closed house with a cat, he would eat you, starting with your nose!

Larry
    Actually, it's very dependent upon the breed. We chose the Balinese because they're one of the smartest cats, as well as being VERY affectionate and social.

Most decent breeders have no-declaw contracts, as ours did. However, we wouldn't have considered it anyway.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

I have to admit those are two pretty cool looking cats. I take it you like "old world" furniture?
    Yeah, those aren't mine, just a photo I found of similar cats. See the attached... those are my cats as kittens, and then doing what cats do... getting up in high places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kittens.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	2861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catsladder.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	2862  

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

How smart can they be? Everyone knows you should stay off the top two steps of a ladder. Nice ladder though, fiberglass is the way to go. Crown molding would be a nice touch. My house needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    These people don't understand that dogs and children are on completely different levels. Before we had our first born, Cletus (my oldest dog) was like a son to me. My wife joked that I loved the dog more than I loved her (which might have been true at the time). However, as soon as the baby was born everything changed; instantly and automatically. The love and joy you get from your kids is a trillion times greater than what you can get with a dog. I would lay down my life for my child without taking a second to think. There's no way I'd die for my dog.

That would actually be a good question to ask your friends; would they die for their dogs? I doubt the answer is yes.

BTW, good thread FD!
    NO animals can replace your own kids... your own blood... They could give us headaches but in the end the love is still there... There is an old Asian saying " Tears always fall down ", do U catch the meaning of it?

NO animals can replace your own kids... your own blood... They could give us headaches but in the end the love is still there... There is an old Asian saying " Tears always fall down ", do U catch the meaning of it?
    There is another old Asian saying: "Young dog, old cat."

All those memories are washed away, like tears in rain. What movie?

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    My hound mix has hip problems now. I might seriously have to put in some kind of handicap ramp in back of the house. I was telling a neighbor about this and not too long after my oldest daughter comes crying to me saying:
    "I don't want my dog to die."
    me: "Who said he was going to die?"
    her: "you said he was old"
    me "so"
    her "Things die when they get old."
    I have to give some awkward circle of life speech. Note that she has never voiced any concerns about the grand or great grand parents.
    Mine was also a rescue dog. Probably about 75% Golden Retreiver. Don't know what else is in there. I think mutts are the way to go. Most of the older breeds have been inbred to the point of having all sorts of genetic problems.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I can't speak to comparing dogs with kids because I have neither.

Being adament about not wanting to procreate is almost certainly what preserved my lifelong bachelor status as I've had relationships that could have otherwise gone further.

As for animals, particularly dogs, I honestly believe it's a brain chemistry thing. Even having gone so long without one of my own, I'm sure that I'm a dog person from the excellent effect that they have on my feeling of well-being.

Recently having taken a significant role in caretaking my nephew's hound--I walk him and cook for him, for example--I know that I get something from the animal--I can't exactly describe it--that I've never gotten in interaction with specimens of my own species.

I just feel physically, not just mentally, better in his presence. The dog teaches a dog person how to relax and feel comfortable. The person who doesn't receive this benefit in an obvioulsy recognizable way possibly isn't a real dog person.

Also, it's possibe to make a dog happy and actually see that you've done so--much more obviosuly than with a fellow human. If making another creature happy has a positive effect on one's psyche, than a dog does that for the dog person as well.

All those memories are washed away, like tears in rain. What movie?

I'm guessing you were trying to quote Blade Runner?

"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die" Batty

Yeah, those aren't mine, just a photo I found of similar cats. See the attached... those are my cats as kittens, and then doing what cats do... getting up in high places.
    We had a 14lbs male 3/4 Balinese 1/4 Himalayan, seal point. He was a great cat. He was like a dog rolled into a cat. He greeted you and would hang out with you everywhere you went. We'd go on walks and he would want to follow. He'd get in bed with you in the morning and put his paw in your hand. He got eaten by a coyote when he was about 13 years old. I really miss him sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    +1 to this. But pit bull owners are not "dog people." They are members of a broader group that we don't talk about anymore, called "the lower classes." There is no doubt in my mind that if you canvassed any Jerry Springer or similar audience, you'd have a high percentage of bill bull owners, whereas among golfers or coin collectors the share would be negligible. For the first time in 55 years, I was recently bitten by a dog, a mastiff. Apparently he was going for the purse of the woman in front of me and missed. I had some bleeding on my left wrist, i.e. the one I have to bend properly to hit a crisp iron shot. I probably could have run to a dogbite lawyer and gotten a thousand bucks or so, but I didn't, which shows what a solid, responsible person I am. In other words, a conservative.
    Move to Portland and try to say that. There's many good pit bull terrier owners out there. Many people have no clue what a pitt bull terrier is, and when there is a bite, any dog that looks like a pitt bull terrier is usually name as one. Check out this link and tell me truthfully if you picked the pitt bull terrier on your first guess.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
    Last edited by poe4soul; 06-01-2012 at 11:44 AM.

We had a 14lbs male 3/4 Balinese 1/4 Himalayan, seal point. He was a great cat. He was like a dog rolled into a cat. He greeted you and would hang out with you everywhere you went. We'd go on walks and he would want to follow. He'd get in bed with you in the morning and put his paw in your hand. He got eaten by a coyote when he was about 13 years old. I really miss him sometimes.
    Really sorry to hear that!!! Wow!

Our 12-year old Siamese kitty stays in the house except for "walks" when he is allowed outside under supervision--and with a halter on and dragging a 10 ft cord. He knows when he is wearing that and doesn't try to make a break for it, which he would do without it on. When he occasionally gets out, he always circles back to another door wanting back in, but we never completely trust him. But occasionally he really needs to get outside and eat grass so he can vomit. He will not shut up when that is necessary, so we do it.

Of course he would be coyote food in minutes outside the fence at night. I hope he would climb a tree and stay up there until we could rescue him. But he is safe in the house. He hears the coyotes outside at night and he knows.

We even worry about the dogs. Each Standard Poodle is 60+ pounds, could probably handle a single coyote, but coyotes don't fight fair. They just bring more coyotes if the dog is big. So far we have never seen sign that a coyote has been inside the fence, however. It is 5 feet chainlink. People who know say a coyote can easily jump that, however.

We worry about rattlesnakes too. I asked our vet whether he could give a bitten dog some sort of anti-venim and he said no. That does not exist. So I took the young male to a "snake avoidance" school when he was a few months old. He was taught to avoid rattlesnakes or anything that even resembles a snake. It works! As late as yesterday, on walks he jumps back from even a garden hose in the weeds. And of course the female takes her cue from him. When he jumps back, she does also. I also spray a snake repellant all around this property every few months.

Larry

Really sorry to hear that!!! Wow!

Our 12-year old Siamese kitty stays in the house except for "walks" when he is allowed outside under supervision--and with a halter on and dragging a 10 ft cord. He knows when he is wearing that and doesn't try to make a break for it, which he would do without it on. When he occasionally gets out, he always circles back to another door wanting back in, but we never completely trust him. But occasionally he really needs to get outside and eat grass so he can vomit. He will not shut up when that is necessary, so we do it.

Of course he would be coyote food in minutes outside the fence at night. I hope he would climb a tree and stay up there until we could rescue him. But he is safe in the house. He hears the coyotes outside at night and he knows.

We even worry about the dogs. Each Standard Poodle is 60+ pounds, could probably handle a single coyote, but coyotes don't fight fair. They just bring more coyotes if the dog is big. So far we have never seen sign that a coyote has been inside the fence, however. It is 5 feet chainlink. People who know say a coyote can easily jump that, however.

We worry about rattlesnakes too. I asked our vet whether he could give a bitten dog some sort of anti-venim and he said no. That does not exist. So I took the young male to a "snake avoidance" school when he was a few months old. He was taught to avoid rattlesnakes or anything that even resembles a snake. It works! As late as yesterday, on walks he jumps back from even a garden hose in the weeds. And of course the female takes her cue from him. When he jumps back, she does also. I also spray a snake repellant all around this property every few months.

Larry
    The Portland Airport Animal Control have photo's of coyotes shimming through the top of a 6' chain link and the lowest barbed wire to get onto the airport.

Coyotes hunt in packs. One will move out in the open and the others will take flanking routes to push their pray inward. Cats fall for this all the time. They will be watching the one coyote walking down the center of the street not aware of the others going down the front and back of homes to flush out their pry.

Unfortunately, your 60# dog will think he's in a normal dog fight and by the time he figures out the coyote in going for the kill he'll be in trouble.

Wow do you guys live in the wild west? Coyotes , rattlesnakes. If I let my cat out at night the only thing I worry about is that he might get pecked to death by a rogue Kiwi since they are nocturnal birds. But since they are pretty rare and about the size of a chicken it's not a high risk.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

This is the SW USA. They whittled developed properties outside San Diego and LA out of very wild country. And unlike in some places, we refused to kill off the wildlife that was idigenous here. Most are protected species it is illegal to kill. So we see everything including cougars (mountain lions). We had an opossum in our garage recently. We have at least 10 bait stations to keep the native brown rat and squirrel population in control.

BUT, unlike other areas of the US and elsewhere, we don't have many mosquitos, NO "chiggers," and only rattlesnakes. None of the poisonous snakes found down in Florida, Georgia, Louisana, etc. We don't have no alligators either! And we don't do humidity! Just let the breeze blow through the house and it stays comfortable year around.

Larry

Man, that's terrible. As a kid, the 16 yr old cat that we'd had since I was born was killed by a dog running off it's leash. It just ran right up to the stone wall of our back patio where 'Wofat' was sleeping, and killed him right there. At least the jackass was nice enough to leave a note. "Sorry".

Our cats come out onto our deck with us while we're outside, eating when the weather is good. They just hang out on the deck. They just NEED to be with the people.

Current Sticks
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Those miserable coyotes are getting closer and closer to residential neighborhoods because of over population of humans and the excessive development it creates which poaches on wild life territory.

I wish people would just throw a bag on it or something. Irresponsible procreation is the number one cause of human misery, even ahead of Republicans, televangelists, towel heads, and hip hop "musicians."

I know of one neighborhood where the residents went out at night with flashlights and rifles looking for a coyote that had killed some pets. To my knowledge, they never found the vile beast, but hopefully, they have by now.

The funny thing is that when I was in elementary school, some wildlife person brought some animals in to show the kids. One of them was a caged coyote, and it didn't look like anything I'd want to kill. It looked like something I'd want to pet. That's my reaction to just about all furry animals (hairy humans excepted). I loathe the fact that nature found it necessary to create vicious carnivores.

If I had never tasted meat, I would have been perfectly happy to live on fresh fruit. I love fresh fruit. Rachel Maddow said on TV that we're not supposed to eat the fruit garnishes on cocktails, but as much as I respect Rachel, I always do.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 06-01-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Wow do you guys live in the wild west? Coyotes , rattlesnakes. If I let my cat out at night the only thing I worry about is that he might get pecked to death by a rogue Kiwi since they are nocturnal birds. But since they are pretty rare and about the size of a chicken it's not a high risk.
    Kind of. I lived in the country for years. We had coyotes but they were shot on sight. If you saw one it was in the distance and running away. Now I live in the city 5 minutes south of downtown Portland, and next to a couple hundred connected green spaces, parks, and steam corridors. The wildlife come in and out of our neighborhood and are not the least bit afraid. We have deers and coyote year round. We've had elk, black bear, and cougars.

A coyote is one of the most versatile critters created. Not so much too many people but too many coyotes. Here in west central minnesota you can go out at night and hear the sonsa*****es.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

How smart can they be? Everyone knows you should stay off the top two steps of a ladder. Nice ladder though, fiberglass is the way to go. Crown molding would be a nice touch. My house needs it.
    I just spent a 12 hour day doing crown molding for a Google employee in Palo Alto.

Crown molding REALLY adds character, but it is expensive... you are looking at over a thousand dollars a day just for labor.

NEVER paint the crown the same color as the walls or ceiling. You want 3 colors... ceiling lightest color... Paint the crown very white; that is my honest opinion, but just an opinion... I have a friend who was a college basketball star, and he painted his crown black, so whatever, but make sure your crown is different from the walls or ceiling...

Also, you should not have textured walls; those are for poor people... Get a good sheetrocker and have him "Level 5" the room first; that is another $1000 a room...

Paint each room (the walls) a different color so your house has 'themes.'

Famous, get the Crown; you will not regret it; it adds a subtle opulence and charm that will make it much more enjoyable to live in....

Save your money and get it done right.

You will love it. Seriously, your house will be your castle; do the crown.

I am looking at my crown as I write this; gorgeous...

spank
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

From the previous post, I'm guessing that spank doesn't fawn over puppies.

Bunch of retards in this thread.

A dog thread and only pictures of cats...

Jackasses.

A coyote is one of the most versatile critters created. Not so much too many people but too many coyotes. Here in west central minnesota you can go out at night and hear the sonsa*****es.
    I hear coyotes every night where I live. It sounds like children laughing in the distance. We also have racoons, skunks at rattle snakes. Lots of hawks. Gophers are a problem as are ground squirrels. Rabbits too.

Quote Originally Posted by spanqdoggie View Post
    Bunch of retards in this thread.

A dog thread and only pictures of cats...

Jackasses.

This is a little bit long but very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=f309fSTWYo4

Poe,

That top dog photo you posted is very interesting because of the coloring and markings of the dog.

Half brindle / half white-black spotted.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen that before, but it looks nice.

Poe,

That top dog photo you posted is very interesting because of the coloring and markings of the dog.

Half brindle / half white-black spotted.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen that before, but it looks nice.
    Thanks, her name is Kelie, but we usually call her bug-bug. She's an ACD mix. ACD's are a mix of many different breeds including dalmation, hence the spots. She is a rodeo clown and gets into trouble all the time.

She looks like a sweetie to me, poe.

I'll really miss my nephew's dog, who's a former professional athlete, when I leave. Now that I know how to care for one, I'll have to get one of my own when I go back into town.

Maybe a beagle like Fidel up there in the top left, GRHS.

I don't know how big greyhounds do as condo apartment dogs.

After having dinner last night and listening to two screaming kids run around the restaurant I can honestly say it would have been better to have two dogs roaming from table to table. What's wrong with these trashy people who let their kids run all over the place in restaurants? Morons.

After having dinner last night and listening to two screaming kids run around the restaurant I can honestly say it would have been better to have two dogs roaming from table to table. What's wrong with these trashy people who let their kids run all over the place in restaurants? Morons.
    I was going to bring this up earlier. Basically it's the parents or dog owner not the children/pets. To some extent anyway.

Here in Park City, people may think you're weird if you have less than two dogs. Park City is also known as Bark City because of the proliferation of these smelly beasts that need to be walked constantly.

My gf has a 2 year old Pomeranian that is the warmest, happiest dog I've been around. Several days ago it stopped eating and suddenly became very ill. Yesterday the dog was diagnosed with an immune deficiency disorder and was recommended a blood transfusion. That was $1,500. It may need several more and might still not survive. I recalled I have a veterinarian friend who has several big homes and I now understand how. The gf is distraught, I'm now not getting any and this awesome animal is suffering.

The peer pressure up here almost had me get a couple of dogs. After this no way.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    Here in Park City, people may think you're weird if you have less than two dogs. Park City is also known as Bark City because of the proliferation of these smelly beasts that need to be walked constantly.

My gf has a 2 year old Pomeranian that is the warmest, happiest dog I've been around. Several days ago it stopped eating and suddenly became very ill. Yesterday the dog was diagnosed with an immune deficiency disorder and was recommended a blood transfusion. That was $1,500. It may need several more and might still not survive. I recalled I have a veterinarian friend who has several big homes and I now understand how. The gf is distraught, I'm now not getting any and this awesome animal is suffering.

The peer pressure up here almost had me get a couple of dogs. After this no way.
    Our mixed breed came from a shelter and was about ten months old when we got him. When my wife took him to the local vet for a checkup, the doc told her that she ran some tests on him and that he had an auto-immune disease that was causing the skin around his nose to flake off. The vet said that without an expensive diet and other treatments, he would die fairly soon. So for a couple of months, we feed him the canned and dry food available only by prescription through the vet at a cost of several hundred bucks per month. After awhile, I said "f.uck it, that's a car payment!". When the prescription stuff ran out, I went to the vets to get some more and it was out of stock. So I asked another vet what we could feed him in the interim and was told to cook chicken breasts without the skin by boiling it and mix the chopped up cooked chicken with long grain white rice at a ratio of one cup of white rice to one quarter cup cut-up white meat chicken. So I stopped at the grocery on the way home and bought a big pack of chicken breasts and a large bag of long grain white rice. The fowl cost about five bucks for at least seven pounds and the rice was about three dollar. I cooked the chicken and rice when I got home, chopped up the chicken and put one service in plastic storage containers and put them in the fridge. I had some chicken and rice left over so I got out the soy sauce and chowed down. It was damn good. After that, no more prescription food. No costly drugs or other treatments. The dog still breathes, sh'its and p.isses and bugs me for a walk around 4 pm every day. He stays up with me after the old lady goes to bed at night and watches sports etc. until we both fall asleep in our chairs. When I wake up, I wake him up to go outside to pee and then we both go upstairs to bed. When we are both gone, I leave the TV on for the dog and we can be gone for 7-10 hours and when we walk in, the dog is sitting in my chair watching the TV. He especially likes to watch golf so I leave the Golf Channel on.

That dog was diagnosed with his auto-immune disease in the spring of 1999. And Pomeranians. like poodles, are not man dogs. Well, not hetero man dogs, anyway.

Our mixed breed came from a shelter and was about ten months old when we got him. When my wife took him to the local vet for a checkup, the doc told her that she ran some tests on him and that he had an auto-immune disease that was causing the skin around his nose to flake off. The vet said that without an expensive diet and other treatments, he would die fairly soon. So for a couple of months, we feed him the canned and dry food available only by prescription through the vet at a cost of several hundred bucks per month. After awhile, I said "f.uck it, that's a car payment!". When the prescription stuff ran out, I went to the vets to get some more and it was out of stock. So I asked another vet what we could feed him in the interim and was told to cook chicken breasts without the skin by boiling it and mix the chopped up cooked chicken with long grain white rice at a ratio of one cup of white rice to one quarter cup cut-up white meat chicken. So I stopped at the grocery on the way home and bought a big pack of chicken breasts and a large bag of long grain white rice. The fowl cost about five bucks for at least seven pounds and the rice was about three dollar. I cooked the chicken and rice when I got home, chopped up the chicken and put one service in plastic storage containers and put them in the fridge. I had some chicken and rice left over so I got out the soy sauce and chowed down. It was damn good. After that, no more prescription food. No costly drugs or other treatments. The dog still breathes, sh'its and p.isses and bugs me for a walk around 4 pm every day. He stays up with me after the old lady goes to bed at night and watches sports etc. until we both fall asleep in our chairs. When I wake up, I wake him up to go outside to pee and then we both go upstairs to bed. When we are both gone, I leave the TV on for the dog and we can be gone for 7-10 hours and when we walk in, the dog is sitting in my chair watching the TV. He especially likes to watch golf so I leave the Golf Channel on.

That dog was diagnosed with his auto-immune disease in the spring of 1999. And Pomeranians. like poodles, are not man dogs. Well, not hetero man dogs, anyway.
    I have a Lab/Husky mix from a shelter, she's a little over one now. She's a great dog. She will lay on the end of the couch with her head resting on the windowsill, looking outside for hours. If there is a show on TV that has a dog in it, she will lay there and stare at the TV until the dog goes away. It's pretty funny.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

The dog was put on the chicken breast and rice diet and seems to be doing well so far. I forwarded your comment to the gf and she thanks you.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic View Post
    I have a Lab/Husky mix from a shelter, she's a little over one now. She's a great dog. She will lay on the end of the couch with her head resting on the windowsill, looking outside for hours. If there is a show on TV that has a dog in it, she will lay there and stare at the TV until the dog goes away. It's pretty funny.
    One of my best friends from my home town had a female Husky/Malamute mix. She was one of the most amazing dogs I've ever known. Her fur was mostly white with gray highlights and she had one black eye and one deep ice blue eye. But the most interesting feature was an all white mark between her eyes that was the spitting image of a white dove in flight. They named her Tasha. She was a talker and learned early on to mimmick my friend's wife's voice along with some of her speech inflections. He and I were sitting out on his patio on a warm summer day in the early 1970's smoking a fat joint when his wife called him. We thought we were losing out minds because his wife had left an hour before and her car was not in the driveway. And then the dog sauntered around the side of the house with a s.hit-eating grin and we knew she had goofed on us big time. I had a snowmobile on the farm at the time and after a good snowfall, my friend and I went riding on the upper field. With the two of us up, the machine could do maybe 35-40 max and that dog would keep up with us on the uphill stretches. Alas, she died several years later. And my friend died last summer. I'm sure they are both resting in peace.

One of my best friends from my home town had a female Husky/Malamute mix. She was one of the most amazing dogs I've ever known. Her fur was mostly white with gray highlights and she had one black eye and one deep ice blue eye. But the most interesting feature was an all white mark between her eyes that was the spitting image of a white dove in flight. They named her Tasha. She was a talker and learned early on to mimmick my friend's wife's voice along with some of her speech inflections. He and I were sitting out on his patio on a warm summer day in the early 1970's smoking a fat joint when his wife called him. We thought we were losing out minds because his wife had left an hour before and her car was not in the driveway. And then the dog sauntered around the side of the house with a s.hit-eating grin and we knew she had goofed on us big time. I had a snowmobile on the farm at the time and after a good snowfall, my friend and I went riding on the upper field. With the two of us up, the machine could do maybe 35-40 max and that dog would keep up with us on the uphill stretches. Alas, she died several years later. And my friend died last summer. I'm sure they are both resting in peace.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of both your friends.

I named mine Abby, and she has a blue eye and one brown, which is quite common with Huskies. She's also a talker but rarely barks. She kind of growls or mumbles in a low voice, and of course will howl if you encourage her. She will wine/squeel in a high pitch when she gets excited. I'm gald she's such a quiet dog. People come to the house or walk by and she won't make a sound.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1734.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	2950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1020.jpeg 
Views:	1 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	2951

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    Looks like someone is getting some *****.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic View Post
    Looks like someone is getting some *****.

This comment has been awarded The Relationship Guru Commendation for Excellence tm.

My warmest congratulations.
    GR lives...

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Not a staged photo, the damn cat, and dog are quite attached, both males. The cat will walk up, and curl right up to the dog, or start a game of chase, or ball up on the dogs head.
    Unfortunately he has killed a cat at least once, when he was around a year old. I broke him though, now it's just a chase instinct issue.
    He's a great dog. Best I've ever had.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

They are so cute!!!

Thread Information