|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Early Morning Golf

I'm not sure that I get the point of early morning golf.

What the hell is one supposed to do with the rest of the day? The only choices seem to be napping or wasting time on the internet.

I find myself waiting for dark so that my internal automatic transmission shifts into night mode.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I'm not sure that I get the point of early morning golf.

What the hell is one supposed to do with the rest of the day? The only choices seem to be napping or wasting time on the internet.

I find myself waiting for dark so that my internal automatic transmission shifts into night mode.

If you were an accomplished player you'd understand. The good players go out early in the morning as to avoid the choppers, hackers and white trash that venture out, post hangover to the course for their 6 hour rounds.

We take our games seriously and enjoy warming up as the sun rises. Carlos and his gang are out on the course mowing the greens and fairways to make them perfect for our flawless swings.

The smell of dew is in the air and by the third hole we've stripped off our layers so that we are in shorts and shirts. We're on a good pace to finish in 4 hours or less.

By 11:30am we are finished with our rounds and have lunch in the men's club and tell grand stories of fortunes won and battles conquered. As I venture out to my luxury sedan I look disdainfully at the self proclaimed golfer who is just arriving at the course in his jean shorts and wife beater shirt to chop it up. I give them the once over and then shake my head in such a way as to portray a feeling of both disgust and pity.

We then leave to tend to our families back home who are anxiously awaiting our arrival. We are the champions, my friends. And we'll keep on fighting, to the end.

You were going great FD until you quoted that lame, gay rock band at the end. Playing early is great. It leaves you the rest of the day to do other stuff. Be it chores at home, family time or going out with friends for lunch and as FD explained you avoid the maddening crowd and slow playing hackers who show up later in the day.

I used to play at 7.20 am year round when I lived in Auckland but it's too freakin cold to play at that time in winter where I live now.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    If you were an accomplished player you'd understand. The good players go out early in the morning as to avoid the choppers, hackers and white trash that venture out, post hangover to the course for their 6 hour rounds.

We take our games seriously and enjoy warming up as the sun rises. Carlos and his gang are out on the course mowing the greens and fairways to make them perfect for our flawless swings.

The smell of dew is in the air and by the third hole we've stripped off our layers so that we are in shorts and shirts. We're on a good pace to finish in 4 hours or less.

By 11:30am we are finished with our rounds and have lunch in the men's club and tell grand stories of fortunes won and battles conquered. As I venture out to my luxury sedan I look disdainfully at the self proclaimed golfer who is just arriving at the course in his jean shorts and wife beater shirt to chop it up. I give them the once over and then shake my head in such a way as to portray a feeling of both disgust and pity.
    Exactly. And those of us with families and small children go home to do various yardwork, take kids to soccer games, give our wives a few hours respite, etc.
    Index: 10.4

Current Sticks
    Driver - Taylor R7 425 9.5* w/ Fuji Fit-on E 370
    Titleist 904F 15* w/Graphite Design YS-6 Stiff
    Ping Eye2 - 3-PW
    TM RAC TP 52* 08 GW
    Hogan 53* 09 GW (gets sand use only now)
    Titleist SM6004 60*
    Titleist Newport 2
    Bridgestone B330 / e6

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    You were going great FD until you quoted that lame, gay rock band at the end.

I can't agree, Kiwi.

I identified FD's post as really, seriously lame within the first few words; I also have a luxury sedan--a brand new one-- but I do laugh that he plays at a venue that allows wife beaters and denim shorts.

My club is such, in fact, that the grounds crew are mostly Euro-American (ie, white), carry agronomy workers union cards, and probably belong to clubs of their own.

As for having time for all that wholesome family crap, I think that I'd rather take a bullet. Indeed, I'm sure of it.

I'll continue to play morning rounds from time to time, I'm sure, but the hot afternoon sun brings the best golf out of me.

I'm not a morning person.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 06-01-2012 at 10:59 AM.

I can't agree, Kiwi.

I identified FD's post as really, seriously lame within the first few words; I also have a luxury sedan--a brand new one-- but I do laugh that he plays at a venue that allows wife beaters and denim shorts.

My club is such, in fact, that the grounds crew are mostly Euro-American (ie, white), carry agronomy workers union cards, and probably belong to clubs of their own.

As for having time for all that wholesome family crap, I think that I'd rather take a bullet. Indeed, I'm sure of it.

I'll continue to play morning rounds from time to time, I'm sure, but the hot afternoon sun brings the best golf out of me.

I used to like playing early when I lived in Auckland because the courses there get very busy and if you tee off later in the day slow play is inevitable. Seeing off at 7.20am meant we were the third or 4th group out and could play at a brisk pace and be done by 11.30am leaving half a day for other activities. It also meant avoiding the hottest part of the day between say 11 & 3pm when the heat can be stifling. Where I play now there is no need to play early as the course doesn't get that busy even at weekends. I still occasionally play early in summer to avoid the afternoon heat but during winter it's too cold to tee off any earlier than say 9.30-10am. The course is often closed due to frost prior to that time anyway.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Teeing off at 7.20am meant we were the third or 4th group out and could play at a brisk pace and be done by 11.30am leaving half a day for other activities.

That's about how fast I, the forum defender of relaxed play, played this morning. We flew.

The problem is, I neither have nor want "other activities!"

That's about how fast I, the forum defender of relaxed play, played this morning. We flew.

The problem is, I neither have nor want "other activities!"
    I guess when you are retired it's different but when you work Mon-Fri the weekends are all you've got and you want to pack in as much as possible. I know I do.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I guess when you are retired it's different but when you work Mon-Fri the weekends are all you've got and you want to pack in as much as possible. I know I do.
    Understood.

And when one spends one's entire life upside down, perhaps that effects the perception of time as well.

Understood.

And when one spends one's entire life upside down, perhaps that effects the perception of time as well.
    Yep. All the blood rushes to our head.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I am also a dedicated morning player. But then I'm a morning person. Awake by 5; I'm typing this before 6am.
    Even with all the golf i play I still look forward to getting on the first tee on the days I play. My energy is there, I'm fresh and ready to go. If I have to hang around wiating half a day to play that seems half a day wasted to me. Nothing better on a Saturday than having a good round in the morning then going home, putting the feet up and watching a game of footy.
    Also most of the guys I play with are good golfers.We play our club round in four hours or less, slightly longer if we are playing monthly medal stroke as we are today. We go out, and hopefully set the pace. Let all the hacks try and catch us.
    Also in my part of the world it is often calmer weatherwise in the early part of the day.
    I'll be off soon to have a warm up on the range before my 7.40 tee time.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    I am also a dedicated morning player. But then I'm a morning person. Awake by 5; I'm typing this before 6am.
    Even with all the golf i play I still look forward to getting on the first tee on the days I play. My energy is there, I'm fresh and ready to go. If I have to hang around wiating half a day to play that seems half a day wasted to me. Nothing better on a Saturday than having a good round in the morning then going home, putting the feet up and watching a game of footy.
    Also most of the guys I play with are good golfers.We play our club round in four hours or less, slightly longer if we are playing monthly medal stroke as we are today. We go out, and hopefully set the pace. Let all the hacks try and catch us.
    Also in my part of the world it is often calmer weatherwise in the early part of the day.
    I'll be off soon to have a warm up on the range before my 7.40 tee time.
    What are the temps like at 7.40am this time of year OP? I know it's been getting pretty brisk over here. I'm a morning person too but 9-10am suits me better right now.

Now where the f#ck am I?

What are the temps like at 7.40am this time of year OP? I know it's been getting pretty brisk over here. I'm a morning person too but 9-10am suits me better right now.
    Around 6 degrees on a brisk one. Up to about 9 usually. 5 ATM. Usually have to rug up for the frist few holes. Usually striping off by the 4th. Unlike you I have plenty of insulation so I don't feel the cold too badly. Apparently NB is the same.
    Forecast top is 17 today so still pretty decent this time of the year. Heading into a nice cold wet winter by the look of it though.
    Play well if you are having a hit today. I don't expect too much today. Playing stroke off the back tees of the beach course with 4 shots means there is not too much room for error.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Around 6 degrees on a brisk one. Up to about 9 usually. 5 ATM. Usually have to rug up for the frist few holes. Usually striping off by the 4th. Unlike you I have plenty of insulation so I don't feel the cold too badly. Apparently NB is the same.
    Forecast top is 17 today so still pretty decent this time of the year. Heading into a nice cold wet winter by the look of it though.
    Play well if you are having a hit today. I don't expect too much today. Playing stroke off the back tees of the beach course with 4 shots means there is not too much room for error.
    I'm in the Coromandel with my family and will be playing the local links course. It's a fairly challenging track literally built on a sandspit so it's a called a links course but it has tree lined fairways so doesn't meet the definition of links courses (i.e. treeless) that I thought was typical. I'm playing with my Dad so we'll play from the middle (white) tees.

Have a good round.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I can't agree, Kiwi.

It was supposed to be a lame post. Seriously, though, I played an afternoon round today and it's really hard for me to get into it. My mind isn't as sharp in the afternoon. Good times though.

It was supposed to be a lame post. Seriously, though, I played an afternoon round today and it's really hard for me to get into it. My mind isn't as sharp in the afternoon. Good times though.
    At the very least, I knew you had to be kidding about the guy in the wife beater and denim shorts.

Well the answer is quite easy at to what to do after the morning round. Play another round in the afternoon. Christ!!!! I can't believe that I'm the first person to say this.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Well the answer is quite easy at to what to do after the morning round. Play another round in the afternoon. Christ!!!! I can't believe that I'm the first person to say this.
    Wow, jt is right; that should have been obvious.

I wouldn't want to be hanging from my thumbs since my last 36 hole day, but with the carts, some ibuprofen, and enough places to wiz, I'm pretty sure that I could still do it.

I play early to be home by lunch time to.do.family stuff.Im usually off before 7am in winter and usually finish about 10.30. Its a little cold early now winter is here but Sydney doesnt get seriously cold, I am still in shorts and a shirt most days.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

We then leave to tend to our families back home who are anxiously awaiting our arrival. We are the champions, my friends. And we'll keep on fighting, to the end.
    This is good writing.

I do not often give praise here... Hardly ever...

Accolades,

spank
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

When I'm in NY, I prefer to play in the afternoon. The sun going down over the water at the 18th is a sight to behold. Also, it is near impossible to get a early morning tee time at the better courses here as they usually go to the favorites and those who have to make their reservations exactly 7 days to the minute in advance. And those courses are usually a 45 minute drive, so you gotta get up that much earlier too. I do need my beauty rest.

In Florida, you better play early as the heat becomes unbearable and you just dehydrate in the sun - no matter how much water you drink. I started at 6:30 the other day and was done by 10am. Then it's some ibufrofen and then off to the beach to oogle at boobs.
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

but I do laugh that he plays at a venue that allows wife beaters and denim shorts.

As a proud liberal, you are disqualified from laughing at or otherwise mocking those of us who have to suffer the pathetic spectacle of the typical American man's public presentation. That is because you yourself helped to bring the condition about. "Tolerance" is the highest virtue, remember? Before 1986, anyone could openly deride a sloppy or unkempt person. But not since. Congratulations on your achievement.

La Cala North/Montemayor/Braid Hills No 1
    I'm more of a late morning (around 11:00am) person. I need time to warm up before playing. I can't just step on the 1st tee and expect to play decent golf from the off. I compete most weekends so this is even more important to me.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Up with the chickens, already had some raisin bran and fresh strawberry, cappuccino. Tee time in about an hour.
    Mystic hills should be gorgeous. I picked up a dozen hx diablo tours I'm going to try, fluffys reccomendation.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by jmtbkr View Post
    I started at 6:30 the other day and was done by 10am. Then it's some ibufrofen and then off to the beach to oogle at boobs.
    My dream scenario right here. +1.

I need to move closer to a beach though.

Thread Information