|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Most Pretentious Ebay Listing Ever?

It's like something out of a David Lynch movie.
    I keeps it real.

Those are historically significant clubs.

That's from where F2 Golf flagrantly stole their hosel idea.

Great! There's hope for hacks like buddha!

Quote Originally Posted by huskyhater View Post
    Great! There's hope for hacks like buddha!
    Would this be considered witty by the redneck culture? I'm not trying to be rude. I'd just like to learn more about your people.
    I keeps it real.

All t takes is one sucker and the rent gets paid... :-)
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Those Barber hosels are the most hideous I've ever seen in an iron head. Like something Dali would have scultpted if he had done sculptures and had the furnace to heat the metal enough to bang out those swan neck looking head stems. The real star of that listing is the red leather chair. At least the seller was savvy enough to start the bidding at 99 cents. Looking at the seller's other items, he is also offering a set of Toski blades that look really nice. Sort of diametrically opposed to the Barber implements that look more like gardening tools than the Cleveland VAS irons or like Civil War era surgical instruments.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Used Car Salesman Selling Ping BeCu ISI Irons

Boy, this guy sure thinks highly of the irons he's getting rid of:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/3061026833.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z craigs isis.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	2875  

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Boy, this guy sure thinks highly of the irons he's getting rid of:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/3061026833.html
    What a douchebag moron that seller is. Hey, I HAD a classic 1965 Porsche 356C coupe and the car would have thrown a connecting rod if I had loaded those sticks in the back seat (trunk was in front and not big enough for anything larger than my AR-15).

With its classic lines and simplistic form-follows-function styling and construction, the 356 needed classic forged blade irons with steel shafts and black leather wrap grips to compliment it to the fullest extent possible. Something like the Fluid Feel Wilson Staffs, for example.

Those Pings look like something that would suit the trunk of a Citroen DS or an American Motors Marlin.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Those Barber hosels are the most hideous I've ever seen in an iron head.
    In storage, I've got the next model of Jerry Barber Golden Touch irons that came out after the ones in the ad, which are a very early model, possibly the first.

They were, with those same hosels, in my view good golf clubs, and nothing could be uglier to my eye than what the big OEMs are putting out for irons today.

They had traditional rather than modern lofts, and except for steel shafts, which I've since grown to hate (my hands took a good beating in the gym when I was young and don't like the impact feel), I could play with them today.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    In storage, I've got the next model of Jerry Barber Golden Touch irons that came out after the ones in the ad, which are a very early model, possibly the first.

They were, with those same hosels, in my view good golf clubs, and nothing could be uglier to my eye than what the big OEMs are putting out for irons today.

They had traditional rather than modern lofts, and except for steel shafts, which I've since grown to hate (my hands took a good beating in the gym when I was young and don't like the impact feel), I could play with them today.
    I played with a guy last Sunday who had the new Taylormade Rocketbalz irons, 3-PW & GW and the new RBZ driver. He was a high 80's shooter. He hit them horribly. I tried the 8 iron on a par 3 and it was one of the worst feeling irons I've ever tried. I could not tell where I hit the ball on the face.

The three best rounds I've ever had were with Wilson Staff FG-17 irons with Dynamic Regular shafts.

A machine cannot tell you that an iron will result in better scoring, simply because it has less twisting due to perimeter weighting.

There are human variables that cannot be measured by launch monitors or robotic testing. One of these is human behavior in golf. With a blade, we tend to focus more on hitting the ball in the center of the face. Why? Because an off center hit stings the hands and feels bad. We, as humans, like to avoid pain so we react to this by focusing on hitting the ball solid and in the center of the face. This, in turn, makes us swing slower and more fluid and improves our focus.

With super game improvement irons, we tend to drift away from solid ballstriking and over time we get sloppy. I know this is true from personal experience.

We could tell ourselves "well, don't get sloppy. Continue to focus on hitting the ball solid".

Unfortunately, that's not what we do and I think that's why I've always scored better with player's irons than with SGI.

The idea that we can improve our games with modern irons is a myth, perpetuated by the golf industry.

Here's how an add should be done. http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...979885438.html
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The idea that we can improve our games with modern irons is a myth, perpetuated by the golf industry.
    This could be true, and even if it isn't, I'm not the one with a thoughtful argument against it.

I just don't like a lot of sensation in my hands when I hit the ball. The duller the thud, the more I like it.

I think that old blades from Wilson, Spalding, MacGregor, Mizuno, and Hogan are absolutely beautiful, especially compared to the crap made today.

At this stage of my life, however, I don't want to feel a sting because I slightly mishit my shot.

I didn't enter qualifying for the Senior Open. I've just been having a few laughs with my friends. I'll take the comfort of graphite and cavity backs over improving a stroke on my index.

Other than that, however, it's obvious that good golf can be played with either blades or cavities--because it has been and still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post

That graph is priceless.

Thread Information