|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Corey Pavin's Penalty

Is it just me or does anyone else think this was BS... until you see it in High Def super zoom slo-mo you cannot tell whether the ball settles back in it's original spot or stays moved, after several views in slo mo it looks like a half a dimple... Pavin didn't see it, his caddy didn't see it, his playing partners didn't see it... only some fat guy sitting on his arse in the van saw it and then had to slo mo it over and over to see it... until every single shot by every single player is subjected to slo-mo high def review calling penalties like that are complete BS... Pavin took it better than I would...

To clarify the issue isn't whether the ball moved at all, rather did it settle back into it's original position which in real time it certainly appeared to do... not until you zoom in and slow it down can you tell otherwise, and unlike other sports where every shot/play is recorded for review this is not the case in golf.

I have seen this on the European tour many times....EVERY player puts their club down behind the ball in the ruff to see if they can hit it, thus improving their lie at the time,not at address.

When these players are in the rough it is inevitable that the ball will move....I always assumed that the ball did move but did not leave its original position...
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Right fluff, and I think you have to, I mean who has a better view than the guy standing over it?... I think the penalty was wrong, but the institution of 2 strokes, not 1, because he didn't replace it is ABSURD... Pavin in his interview admitted this happens all the time but it's viewed as the ball just oscillating a bit, he thought the ball went back in it's spot.. This may be a new big deal, or it may not, who knows... But if I'm a tour player this certainly gets my attention.

Rules are rules but to penalize a player after the fact because some twat off course-- be it an official in front of a video monitor or some beer-sotted cretin watching from 1,800 miles away lying in his Barca-Lounger in his skivvies and wife-beater-- notices a dimple-width ball relocation is just plain nuts. Especially when you factor in how low the greens are cut and the effect of any wind in excess of 5-8 knots.

In my opinion, if the player and his caddie and his competitors and their caddies and any nearby officials miss it, then it didn't happen.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    and unlike other sports where every shot/play is recorded for review this is not the case in golf.
    I think this is a key point. The fact that all shots can't be put under equal scrutiny makes this a poor call.
    I keeps it real.

The worst is when some loser watching it on TV phones the tour.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

History tells us that it's an absurdly unreasonable expectation to expect any sports sanctioning body to get any decision right.

I always thought Corey's biggest penalty was his penguin walk.

Did people used to describe Corey Pavin as looking like a poodle? You know, before he went gray?

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Did people used to describe Corey Pavin as looking like a poodle? You know, before he went gray?
    His nicknames were "Penguin", "Gutty little Bruin" and, to the British Ryder Cup team "the wood elf".

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    The worst is when some loser watching it on TV phones the tour.
    The fact that the tour even receives these calls and acts upon them is nuts.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    His nicknames were "Penguin", "Gutty little Bruin" and, to the British Ryder Cup team "the wood elf".
    Speaking of elves, every time I see Tim Clark on TV I am reminded of a Hobbitt.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I think they need to change the rules and it should be allowed for every golfer to be able to call a Mexican to bring over a weed eater, the ball picked up, the weed eater applied to the area where the ball will be allowed to settle, and the ball placed back on grass repaired by the weed eater.

I'm thinking about rewriting the rules of golf and sanctioning my own golf organization. Anybody want to sign up?
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I think they need to change the rules and it should be allowed for every golfer to be able to call a Mexican to bring over a weed eater, the ball picked up, the weed eater applied to the area where the ball will be allowed to settle, and the ball placed back on grass repaired by the weed eater.

I'm thinking about rewriting the rules of golf and sanctioning my own golf organization. Anybody want to sign up?
    How about the "Cow Pie Tour"?

No way Pavin would knowingly cheat, and any A-Hole sitting on their arse (jealous LOSER) that calls a penalty into the PGA should get a visit from the Governments black helicopters that very night and never be seen again.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this was BS... until you see it in High Def super zoom slo-mo you cannot tell whether the ball settles back in it's original spot or stays moved, after several views in slo mo it looks like a half a dimple... Pavin didn't see it, his caddy didn't see it, his playing partners didn't see it... only some fat guy sitting on his arse in the van saw it and then had to slo mo it over and over to see it... until every single shot by every single player is subjected to slo-mo high def review calling penalties like that are complete BS... Pavin took it better than I would...

To clarify the issue isn't whether the ball moved at all, rather did it settle back into it's original position which in real time it certainly appeared to do... not until you zoom in and slow it down can you tell otherwise, and unlike other sports where every shot/play is recorded for review this is not the case in golf.
    He definitely didn't cheat that is for sure but he did see it move and he commented on this in the hut whilst watching the video. He believed that it moved back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
    He definitely didn't cheat that is for sure but he did see it move and he commented on this in the hut whilst watching the video. He believed that it moved back.
    Glad to see you are alive. I feared that you Brits were somehow sequestered Internet-wise until the games were over. Security must be tighter than a two year old.

As it turns out that was a pretty big penalty... if they just penalize him 1 stroke, he's in 2nd by himself, if there's no penalty there there's a playoff... I'm amazed at how little attention this is getting, oh well, I think wee man got screwed big time.

As it turns out that was a pretty big penalty... if they just penalize him 1 stroke, he's in 2nd by himself, if there's no penalty there there's a playoff... I'm amazed at how little attention this is getting, oh well, I think wee man got screwed big time.
    Let this be a lesson to all the pros out there that sole their club in the rough. They do it to improve their lie and test conditions. Let them do it at their own peril. I have a hard time with anyone averaging under 240 yards off the tee winning a US Open, even if it is the old farts.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Thread Information