|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Beer for the Open

So I did some shopping today and as the British Open will be on TV starting at 1am for me here so it's perfect beer drinking time, in honor of this I picked up an ample supply of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout to watch the carnage... I also have some Ketel One just in case the beers don't git'er done... Ketel is from Holland, not England, but that's close enough... Anybody else planning on watching the festivities with an English beverage, or at least a beverage from over there somewhere... like a mojito... those are English right?

Probably start off on some Stella (from where i live thats close enough too) and if i run out of that i'm thinking some Killkenny draught or might just have a Guinness. Like the last two for taste and they are low carbonated. Nothing like a nice ale, and the more you drink the better the Open commentary is.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    Probably start off on some Stella (from where i live thats close enough too) and if i run out of that i'm thinking some Killkenny draught or might just have a Guinness. Like the last two for taste and they are low carbonated. Nothing like a nice ale, and the more you drink the better the Open commentary is.
    True Dat...

(the previous message wasn't long enough thus I had to add this in to get over 10 characters)

Just checked the time difference and 1am Las Vegas is 8pm in NZ so I'll definitely join you. I won't be drinking any warm English shite though. I'll drink either Carlsberg (Denmark), Becks (Germany) or Grolsch (Holland). All ice cold and near enough.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I had some Guinness last week, so I will likely be riding with the Harp's lager this weekend. I love that stuff. (Irish beer).
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

I'm not a big beer drinker. Jim beam and coke for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I had some Guinness last week, so I will likely be riding with the Harp's lager this weekend. I love that stuff. (Irish beer).
    have any Guinness left? Perhaps a little Black and Tan action?

Speaking of Black and Tans, I noticed some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on the shelf at the market... I think I may try a Youngs Double Chocolate with The Cherry Wheat.... Overall not the manliest of beer combos but it sounds tasty...

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    have any Guinness left? Perhaps a little Black and Tan action?

Speaking of Black and Tans, I noticed some Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on the shelf at the market... I think I may try a Youngs Double Chocolate with The Cherry Wheat.... Overall not the manliest of beer combos but it sounds tasty...
    Speaking of unmanly beers, I've been big into Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. Totally gay, but totally refreshing.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Speaking of unmanly beers, I've been big into Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. Totally gay, but totally refreshing.
    +1. Been drinking the hell out of that this summer. Yuenling is still my #1 but the Summer Shandy has been in the fridge this summer.

Im also more concerned about my wardrobe and what other people think of me. Whats happening....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    +1. Been drinking the hell out of that this summer. Yuenling is still my #1 but the Summer Shandy has been in the fridge this summer.

Im also more concerned about my wardrobe and what other people think of me. Whats happening....
    I'm one of the people who doesn't understand the Yeungling appeal. The light version is piss, and the regular version is inferior to dozens of other beers. Is it that it's better than other big brewery beers like Budweiser?
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I'm one of the people who doesn't understand the Yeungling appeal. The light version is piss, and the regular version is inferior to dozens of other beers. Is it that it's better than other big brewery beers like Budweiser?
    I suck at describing tastes....but imo yes Yueling is a fuller tasting flavor vs Coors/Bud et al...Yuengling is also a lager, which I havent the foggiest what that means. It just tastes better. I dont do the light version or the other spinoffs. Plain ole Yuengling regular.

Been trying to get to jungle jims more frequently to branch out and try new stuff.

Lagering is just a type of brewing. Bottom fermented while an ale is usually top fermented.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Lagering is just a type of brewing. Bottom fermented while an ale is usually top fermented.
    See, you do learn something new each day. Thanks!

I drink wheat beer in the summer and mostly dark beer like Guinness in the winter.

But not too much--one thing, at least, with which I haven't ever had a problem.

Hard to find original Leinie's anywhere in Michigan, except the UP; their boutique flavors are all I see in most stores. An excellent brew (the original).

Personally my choice would be black and tans, or just Guinness, "mothers milk" as Peter O'toole would describe. Alas, I have had to deny myself these pleasures for personal reasons. As my father in law used to say, "Pity the man who does not drink (in the morning) as that is as good as he will feel all day";)

One of my neighbors introduced me to the manliest beer I've ever seen. The 120 minute IPA by Dogfish Head. I believe its like 18% ABV...Bud is only 5%.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    One of my neighbors introduced me to the manliest beer I've ever seen. The 120 minute IPA by Dogfish Head. I believe its like 18% ABV...Bud is only 5%.
    Whoa. That must taste bad.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    How does it taste though? I believe 5% is the correct strength for good beer. Any weaker than that and it tastes like gnats piss but those high strength beers taste like shite too IMO. Completely distorts the natural favours. I recall drinking Tennants Super from a can in the UK. I think it was about 13%. Tasted like kerosene.

As for the Pu$$ies drinking summer shandy you should be made to play a set of graphite shafted Adams hybrids, a thriver and a broomstick putter.

Hang your heads in shame.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Whoa. That must taste bad.
    I think "strong" is the more appropriate word.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    How does it taste though? I believe 5% is the correct strength for good beer. Any weaker than that and it tastes like gnats piss but those high strength beers taste like shite too IMO. Completely distorts the natural favours. I recall drinking Tennants Super from a can in the UK. I think it was about 13%. Tasted like kerosene.

As for the Pu$$ies drinking summer shandy you should be made to play a set of graphite shafted Adams hybrids, a thriver and a broomstick putter.

Hey, I fully admitted it was gay. 4.7% alcohol though. I originally stayed away from it because I figured the lemon juice was watering it down. 4.7% is pretty decent. Not the 25% that Purist drinks...
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I prefer the 90min IPA. Which still has a strong flavor, but is only 9%.

My favorite tasting beer right now is Fat Tire.

I beg for mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I dark beer like Guinness.

Guinness is the MG of beers. Looks good, no engine. Give me a Spaten Dark or Negra Modelo any day.

I've never been a fan of Summer Shandy, but Sunset Wheat is one of the best summer beers I think, pull one out of the freezer or ice chest... so good... tastes like fruity pebbles.

Hey, I fully admitted it was gay. 4.7% alcohol though. I originally stayed away from it because I figured the lemon juice was watering it down. 4.7% is pretty decent. Not the 25% that Purist drinks...
    The alcohol content isn't the issue it's the taste.

Over here they bring out a summer ale that tastes like ginger beer or as you guys call it root beer. Strictly for f@gs and chicks.

There is another one with a lemony flavour that tastes just like over priced shandy. Again strictly for chicks or f@gs. My wife drinks it and my only objection is the price. I once made her a shandy with some cheap lager and lemonade that was left in our fridge following a party. She admitted it tasted just like her overpriced 'boutique' beer.

If I want beer I want something that tastes like beer not a sweet soft drink.

Now where the f#ck am I?

The alcohol content isn't the issue it's the taste.

Over here they bring out a summer ale that tastes like ginger beer or as you guys call it root beer. Strictly for f@gs and chicks.

There is another one with a lemony flavour that tastes just like over priced shandy. Again strictly for chicks or f@gs. My wife drinks it and my only objection is the price. I once made her a shandy with some cheap lager and lemonade that was left in our fridge following a party. She admitted it tasted just like her overpriced 'boutique' beer.

If I want beer I want something that tastes like beer not a sweet soft drink.
    My question: Does "shandy" rhyme with "panty"?

I'm with the purist, Fat tire has been my beer for awhile now.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    So I did some shopping today and as the British Open will be on TV starting at 1am for me here so it's perfect beer drinking time, in honor of this I picked up an ample supply of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout to watch the carnage... I also have some Ketel One just in case the beers don't git'er done... Ketel is from Holland, not England, but that's close enough... Anybody else planning on watching the festivities with an English beverage, or at least a beverage from over there somewhere... like a mojito... those are English right?
    My work schedule is 11:00 pm-9:30am Sunday-Thursday. I won't be doing as you do Thursday am, but the rest of the tourney (unless the 'bettors favorite' is running away with it) I will be right there with you having those beers through the Saturday rd-I gotta work (damned Gov't work!) Sunday night! But if its exciting enough (bettors fav out of the running) I can always take Sunday night/Monday off-been there FOREVER! BEERS!!!!!!

Ok I've been for dinner at an Irish bar, had a couple of Murphy's stout and now settling in for a quiet Carlsberg whilst watching The Open Championship. What are my GR fellows drinkinog?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Ok I've been for dinner at an Irish bar, had a couple of Murphy's stout and now settling in for a quiet Carlsberg whilst watching The Open Championship. What are my GR fellows drinkinog?
    Just finished a meal with the family(eldest daughters 13th birthday) so i'm on the stella's, wife is into canadian club and dry, and once she has had a couple more i will then be able to settle down to watch the Open!!
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post

My regular beer is Yuenling since it does not give me a headache like others... want a better beer? Try Samual Adams Boston Lager... IMO it's as good as if not better than any premium beers out there, better than "Great Lakes" (available only at some locations, not nation wide). Boston Lager tastes like most beers in Italy and Germany , except better

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/104/

Yuenling beer
    Samual Adams Boston Lager
    Henessy XO Cognac, yes I know it's $150+ but it lasts me a year
    Crown Royal reserve
    Baileys for after dinner

Thread Information