|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: Shoes

Shoes

So, I have been wearing the shoes I brought with me from back east when I moved out here, 2 pairs of 2009 Tiger Woods, a pair of Nike airs, and a pair of Adidas tours. The Tigers have seen a lot of use and are beat to hell, the Nike airs are kind of goof around practice shoes, I wore them last round and ended up slipping twice and pulling something in my back which has laid me up for a few days... and the Adidas while good, are heavy and get hot, so time for some new shoes... I've tried on a bunch, but my buddy has a pair of the new TW '13 shoes in a half size bigger than mine, so i tried em on at the course today after the round... I will be buying these at some point no doubt... Comfort is well, they're not uncomfortable, but they don't stand out cushion wise like some of the heavier adidas with the gel, those things are so comfy... but the thing that amazed me most about the TW '13's is that I can feel everything... walking on pavement they were kind of uncomfortable, though not painful, I could feel the spikes, and the unevenness of the path.. once I got on the putting green the feel that I got was amazing, I could really feel the angles of the ground under me, as I walked off a putt I could feel the line much more clearly in my feet than any other shoe I've worn, it kind of felt like I was connected to the ground instead of standing on top of it... and they're light... unfortunately they look like rubber galoshes, they look kind of bulky, and feel kind of rubbery... but damn the feel of teh ground they give, and the traction during the swing is the best I've felt... I just wish they looked a little better, I may wait a month or two and see if prices come down, at Golf Galaxy today they had Adidas Adipures on sale for like 140.00, even online they're selling for over 200$, they're just too heavy for my liking. I'd like to find some cheaper, but solid shoes as well, the desert is really really hard on golf shoes and I like to kill waiting time on the course by heading into the waste and picking up lost balls, I usually find at least 3 or 4 pro v's a long with12-20 other balls a round I play at Badlands, but that also beats the hell out of my shoes. Anybody know of any underrated cheapos I can use as screw a-round beaters? I don't even care if they're neon green..

Footjoy FJ Superlights. Black. Marked at $79.95 but I think that Golf Galaxy let me have them for $20 less. Background: I have had bad feet for ever and a day. I have suffered for decades with attacks of arthritic gout and the last golf shoes I used that did not contribute to that malady were a pair of "Teaching Shoes" with rubber soles and nubbins I bought back in the mid '80s. Forget the brand but they may have been Addidas. I wore them until I wore the soles smooth. Now my problem is that my feet are very wide and it seems that almost none of the makers offer single or double wide shoes in size 11.5 or 12. I'd love a pair of those Freddie Couples shoes but they are too narrow for me. Same with the Addidas. So I found these Footjoy Superlights and they are superb. I can't feel the spikes at all and they are truly light. Lighter than my sneakers. The spikes are not those flimsy little spider leg things that many Footjoys have but thicker black spikes that after six months or so show no wear.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

When I played Big D for the first time I didn't have shoes so I bought a pair of all white FJ Superlites. They fit my feet (high arch) very well and were extremely comfortable. Nothing, however, feels better on my feet than the Dryjoys or Contour series. Callaway is always too stiff and Nike is too narrow for me. Never tried Adidas or the Ecco boat shoes.

The best lightweight shoes Ive ever had are hi tec v-lites. They are microfibre, incredibly light, and are an extra wide fit. Ive worn them for about 4 years and they are still good enoigh to wear for a round. They are standard white with bwige piping, no saddles for this little black duck.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

can't go wrong with FJ contour, Dryjoys and FJ Superlights. I also found that adidas Men's POWERBAND 4.0 Golf Shoe is excellent (if price is right). I always have 2 pairs in-play every season and I rotate them. I still have 4 more new pairs in reserve, not sure why, but I just pick them cheap by the end of season

That's interesting guys, I've never really had good experiences with footjoys, so far I've found superlites for 59$ if I can find em any cheaper I'll pick up a pair...

Then again I'll probably pick up these as well... walk out of the house with them on, keep em in the cart, throw em on when I venture into the rocks, throw em back on to leave... these seem like a pretty good thing.

http://www.cleatskins.com/products/cleatskins-golf

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    Then again I'll probably pick up these as well... walk out of the house with them on, keep em in the cart, throw em on when I venture into the rocks, throw em back on to leave... these seem like a pretty good thing.

http://www.cleatskins.com/products/cleatskins-golf
    Just a quick thought, but if you are going to spend money on shoes you can wear to venture out into the rocks the go ball hunting, why don't you just spend the money and buy a few dozen used Prov1's? That way, you don't have to look like a cheap-asss scouring the desert for balls.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

When it comes to shoes I only know one brand....Size 13UK. I first have to check the size and then I can see what the shoe look like. There are 4 golf shops I know in my area,If I where to go looking for a size 13UK now,I bet I wont get a single pair.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    When it comes to shoes I only know one brand....Size 13UK. I first have to check the size and then I can see what the shoe look like. There are 4 golf shops I know in my area,If I where to go looking for a size 13UK now,I bet I wont get a single pair.
    Maybe this would work for you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Just a quick thought, but if you are going to spend money on shoes you can wear to venture out into the rocks the go ball hunting, why don't you just spend the money and buy a few dozen used Prov1's? That way, you don't have to look like a cheap-asss scouring the desert for balls.

Because I rarely buy balls, I don't lose em, and they get scuffed and beat up quick so unless I'm playing in a tourney I use the ones I find, I have about 300 pro v1's and pro v1x's,that I found since March or so most of which have few to no marks on em... I craigslist other balls that I don't use and make a few bucks to cover greens fees, since I started playing poker for a living I look at everything as profit/expense, opportunity cost, etc.. so if that makes me a cheap ass, then ok. I also shag my own balls at this 1 course near me so I don't have to pay the 10$ to get balls out of the machine, I'm a cheap ass, but I'm a cheap ass that's basically been playing golf for free all year and can't tell you the last time he paid for balls, and now I'm looking at trying to extend the life of expensive shoes, I guess that makes me an even bigger cheap ass...

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    Because I rarely buy balls, I don't lose em, and they get scuffed and beat up quick so unless I'm playing in a tourney I use the ones I find, I have about 300 pro v1's and pro v1x's,that I found since March or so most of which have few to no marks on em... I craigslist other balls that I don't use and make a few bucks to cover greens fees, since I started playing poker for a living I look at everything as profit/expense, opportunity cost, etc.. so if that makes me a cheap ass, then ok. I also shag my own balls at this 1 course near me so I don't have to pay the 10$ to get balls out of the machine, I'm a cheap ass, but I'm a cheap ass that's basically been playing golf for free all year and can't tell you the last time he paid for balls, and now I'm looking at trying to extend the life of expensive shoes, I guess that makes me an even bigger cheap ass...
    If you make it to the WSOP series on ESPN, wear a white Titleist visor so we will know you. Good luck.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I have been on TV in the past, I've won 2 WSOP circuit events, a Borgata Open tourney, and lots of smaller stuff, but I shy away from playing tourneys at the WSOP because the buy ins are so high, I'll give you a good example... this year I made about 30k playing cash games at the WSOP (which is much less than the last 2 years, it's getting way tougher), but I spent 7500 on tourney buy ins and satellites with nothing to show... so 30k just became 22,500... Tournament poker is a lottery, the good players get 2 or 3 tickets, the ok players get 1 ticket, and about half the field doesn't even get a ticket... My chances are better, but it's still a lottery... I have a few friends that do nothing but play tourneys, and they do ok because they have had 1 or 2 huge scores in the past, they also have backers so they put up very little of their own money... most of the big names you watch are almost completely if not completely backed, I go it on my own, so I can't play as many tourney's, if I could play more, and bigger tourney's undoubtedly I'd have more success as my cash/win% is pretty ridiculous, but I just don't like risking that much money on a lottery... I mean I go hunting in the rocks for balls for god sakes... A side note 2 years ago I went out of the main 5 or 6 from the bubble with KKKK vs. a guys AAAA on the river, all the money was in on the turn.. I honestly still havn't recovered from that blow, I think I sat on the steps outside the rio for 2-3 hours just stunned... if I won that hand I would have had the chip lead at that point, def cashed and had a good shot at a final table... I've played quite a bit with both Ben Lamb and Phil Collins, both those guys would grind 2-5 and 5-10 at the Venetian before they got hot, 1 good run and your life changes.

I imagine that the Feds' busting of the big online poker sites stirred things up quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I imagine that the Feds' busting of the big online poker sites stirred things up quite a bit.
    Oh yeah, but apparantly I'll be getting some of my Tilt money back... the pro's that were sponsored/had ownership of Full Tilt lived gooood.... private jets to events, unlimited buy ins, of course it was all borrowed against future profits, the poker life is glamorized but it's really not glamorous at all, and most players are scumbags, though there are some really great guys/gals... The thing that REALLY pisses me off is the amount of money the WSOP rakes in via ESPN but the players still have to pay full buy ins and rake, and are expected to tip when we win, they also don't want to pay dealers/staff anything so of course, we end up with sh*tty dealers and staff, this years was HORRIBLE.. none of that TV money ends up in the prizepool or in the pockets of workers, both Harrah's and ESPN make a FORTUNE off of replay's and ads... way more money should be going into poker, say what you want about online poker but the rake was small, and almost all of that money got re-circulated into the poker world... as it stands now it's just a steady rake of money coming off the table and out of the game. Golf is sponsor driven, mostly by equipment co's, it's 1 big marketing scheme, no such thing exists in poker, just like the old days of golf before sponsor $ the best players usually gambled rather than go on tour, they made more money and it was less out of pocket expense, similarly cash games are safer and more consistent, I can pick my situations and play/leave whenever it's in my best interest. Online poker was the safest and most consistent, it turned poker into a low variance game, I could play more hands in 1 night (10 tables at about 40-60 hands an hour = 400-600/hr.) than I could play live in... well, a long time, plus 125$ for a chance to win almost a million most weekends is unheard of live, not to mention gas, food, tip savings etc..

Thread Information