|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Wilson DF-Y irons. The ultimate technology?

On a whim I decided to check out the goods at GG, hoping to check out several sets of recently-added used irons. Sure enough, they had 3 sets of used irons I hadn't seen before: Cobra Amp, Callaway Diablo forged and Wilson DF-Y. The Amp and Diablo were priced to high at $391 and $425 respectively.

However, once my gaze fell upon the Wilson DF-Y irons I slowly became intrigued. Here was an iron that seemed completely out of the norm in terms of shaft, head design and mojo.

This set is indeed perculiar. The shafts are a combination of steel and graphite, similar to what True Temper came out with many years ago but somewhat better looking. This is space age stuff people. The 3&4 are both hybrids, the 5 & 6 appear to be hollow and the rest are simply GI. What sets this set apart is the noticeable lack of offset on all of the irons. It was if I was handling clubs designed for a great ballstriker who's ego can handle GI clubs.

I'd be curious to find out if anyone has tried these fascinating irons. I hit the 7 iron in the simulator and I must admit it felt as though the clubhead was traveling just a little faster than normal and the feel was akin to graphite and steel being smashed together by an atom crusher (see Angels & Demons).

What is most titillating about this set is the price. $111 for a set of next to new Wilson DF-Y spaceage, lunar landing irons that are sure to turn a few heads at the golf course...and hopefully turn over a few bills in my direction.

Should I do it? Here's a link: http://www.golfnewsnow.ca/2009/10/01...nd-half-shaft/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z dfy.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	2897  
    Last edited by famousdavis; 08-21-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Don't touch them.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

I've wasted $100 in worse ways. The clubs aren't great.
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Don't touch them.
    Unless he can flip them on Ebay for a 100% net profit.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Unless he can flip them on Ebay for a 100% net profit.
    Unlikely. People don't seem to go for Wilson and those that do won't pay much. There is a reason FD's deal is going cheap.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Unlikely. People don't seem to go for Wilson and those that do won't pay much. There is a reason FD's deal is going cheap.
    Very true. I don't think I could flip them for a profit that would make it worth my time. Wilson has the worst resale of any of the major club line manufacturers. Adams is pretty bad as well.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Thread Information