|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

If buyer could not hit them then it does not matter if it's $5 set.

I can't see it's a great set for average ball strikers

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    If buyer could not hit them then it does not matter if it's $5 set.

I can't see it's a great set for average ball strikers
    Compared with Wilson's forged blades of that era, they were great for less than perfect ball strikers.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I remember that set very well.

Edwin Watts sold them at a very attractive price during that transition time when the fair trade green grass pro shop era was ending. At that time, Watts' ads in the golf magazines dwarfed everybody else's, even Nevada Bob's. There was no internet. Everything you'd now find on a web page was crammed into one full page, small print ad with only minimal if any illustrations.

A vast diversity of players had them, from quite good to very average. They weren't anything special, but they were very decent golf clubs.

Check out this ad on craigslists. This guy can't be serious: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3219637607.html

I figure he overpriced them by about $850
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Check out this ad on craigslists. This guy can't be serious: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3219637607.html

I figure he overpriced them by about $850
    You're right, but I suppose he can ask that for which he has no chance to get if he doesn't mind looking foolish.

Haggling over prices is very distasteful to me. It's one reason among many why I keep my old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    You're right, but I suppose he can ask that for which he has no chance to get if he doesn't mind looking foolish.

Haggling over prices is very distasteful to me. It's one reason among many why I keep my old stuff.
    Maybe that's because you think of it as "haggling". I really don't "haggle" at all. If I wanted this particular set of irons I would do the following:

• I would send them an e-mail introducing myself, proving my name and cell phone number and explain that I would like to buy their irons and would give them a price I'm willing to pay. This immediately sets me apart from 98% of the other responders who say something stupid like "still got those irons?"
    • If they respond and are offended by my offer and say "not interested", I respond and provide a brief explanation as to the value of their clubs based on facts and evidence. I then tell them that if they are still not interested I understand but this is all I can afford. That's true, since I can't afford to be stupid and pay more than they are worth to me.
    • In most cases, the seller caves to my offer. They want to do business with someone who can write and speak clearly and whom they trust. I have already told them what area I'm in and where I could meet them. They don't have to go back and forth with me trying to figure out how to get the deal done.

The art of the deal
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Maybe that's because you think of it as "haggling". I really don't "haggle" at all. If I wanted this particular set of irons I would do the following:

• I would send them an e-mail introducing myself, proving my name and cell phone number and explain that I would like to buy their irons and would give them a price I'm willing to pay. This immediately sets me apart from 98% of the other responders who say something stupid like "still got those irons?"
    • If they respond and are offended by my offer and say "not interested", I respond and provide a brief explanation as to the value of their clubs based on facts and evidence. I then tell them that if they are still not interested I understand but this is all I can afford. That's true, since I can't afford to be stupid and pay more than they are worth to me.
    • In most cases, the seller caves to my offer. They want to do business with someone who can write and speak clearly and whom they trust. I have already told them what area I'm in and where I could meet them. They don't have to go back and forth with me trying to figure out how to get the deal done.
    The art of the deal
    Sure. No problem at all. That's fine if you're cool with it. I've actually bought used stuff without incident. Selling is where I get uncomfortable. I've got a museum inventory of gear that comes close to matching my late brother's before my nephew gave all his stuff away (some of it to me).

I don't think that I'd ever buy a $360 driving iron, for example, but Carlo did and now I play it.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Sure. No problem at all. That's fine if you're cool with it. I've actually bought used stuff without incident. Selling is where I get uncomfortable. I've got a museum inventory of gear that comes close to matching my late brother's before my nephew gave all his stuff away (some of it to me).

I don't think that I'd ever buy a $360 driving iron, for example, but Carlo did and now I play it.
    I completely agree. Buying on craigslist is great but selling is horrible. I still can't believe how many idiots will send a message saying "still got the clubs?".

I respond "yes".

They say "where are you?"

I respond "in my office"

They say "why don't you like the clubs?"

I respond "I never said I don't like them"

The say "then why are you selling?"

I respond "because I want to"

They say "you accept cash?"

I say "who doesn't?"

They say "I'll give you $100"

I say "that's fine but you only get half of the clubs"

They say "why are you being a jerk?"

I say "because I don't know of another way to deal with an idiot like you".

I completely agree. Buying on craigslist is great but selling is horrible. I still can't believe how many idiots will send a message saying "still got the clubs?".

I respond "yes".

They say "where are you?"

I respond "in my office"

They say "why don't you like the clubs?"

I respond "I never said I don't like them"

The say "then why are you selling?"

I respond "because I want to"

They say "you accept cash?"

I say "who doesn't?"

They say "I'll give you $100"

I say "that's fine but you only get half of the clubs"

They say "why are you being a jerk?"

I say "because I don't know of another way to deal with an idiot like you".
    Yeah I've noticed the most common question on our local trading site is 'why are you selling them?'

I think most interested buyers are just afraid of buying fakes. The second most common question is 'where did you buy them. Do you still have the receipt?'

Come on. Like I'm going to keep the receipt for a freaking golf club!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I wonder what I could get this set for? I wonder if it would be possible to get all of it for $500. Then you could flip all of the various clubs separately on Ebay for probably a total of $800 or $900. The G20 irons could sell on Ebay for $500, The G20 driver $199, Bag $80, Hybrid $100 and putter $50. Plus, you get all of those dandy Snake Eyes balls. Hmmmm.... Click on the link to see: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/3212642568.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z ping set.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	2898  

Thread Information