|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Taly Mind Set and Swing the Club Head

Curious if anyone has used this product?

Link: Taly Mind Set

I'm thinking of buying one for my wife that is a cronic flipper. I've read some reviews but curious if anyone else has experience with it.

Here's a video and as a bonus he talks about swing the club head and what it means and doesn't mean. (que Lary the Whippy Tempo Master.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrm6qS53TnY

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Curious if anyone has used this product?

Link: Taly Mind Set

I'm thinking of buying one for my wife that is a cronic flipper. I've read some reviews but curious if anyone else has experience with it.
    Nope. No experience at all, but I really think that learning not to flip at the ball comes mostly from reexamining what people believe is necessary to make the ball go up in the air. I think most everyone who flips the clubhead past the hands does so because they incorrectly believe (at least at some level) that the clubhead has to be going up if the ball is going to go up. A lifetime of practical experience with swinging bats and racquets at balls has taught them that.

Buy her the device if you think it will help, but if it does, it will be because eventually if she gets to the ball with the club head in the correct position and low enough to the ground, she'll get some positive feedback that a descending clubhead can result in a ball in the air.

But if it were me, I'd get her that feedback by starting with shots so short that she could have complete control without the need for an aid. Start her out with short chips and get her the feedback from that that a ball hit with the hands ahead and the clubhead still descending goes in the air.

Then work up to longer shots.

My two cents.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Nope. No experience at all, but I really think that learning not to flip at the ball comes mostly from reexamining what people believe is necessary to make the ball go up in the air. I think most everyone who flips the clubhead past the hands does so because they incorrectly believe (at least at some level) that the clubhead has to be going up if the ball is going to go up. A lifetime of practical experience with swinging bats and racquets at balls has taught them that.

Buy her the device if you think it will help, but if it does, it will be because eventually if she gets to the ball with the club head in the correct position and low enough to the ground, she'll get some positive feedback that a descending clubhead can result in a ball in the air.

But if it were me, I'd get her that feedback by starting with shots so short that she could have complete control without the need for an aid. Start her out with short chips and get her the feedback from that that a ball hit with the hands ahead and the clubhead still descending goes in the air.

Then work up to longer shots.

My two cents.
    Yeah, done that.

But people learn differently. I think this training aid would be very good for a visual learner.

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Yeah, done that.

But people learn differently. I think this training aid would be very good for a visual learner.
    Yeah... ...that's fair enough.
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

whisper voice....trust your taly....

Good old phallic marketing.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

might as well get a strap on dildo and invision hitting the ball with that.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Nope. I think most everyone who flips the clubhead past the hands does so because they incorrectly believe (at least at some level) that the clubhead has to be going up if the ball is going to go up. A lifetime of practical experience with swinging bats and racquets at balls has taught them that.

Excellent point. But baseball bat and tennis racquet hitting surfaces don't have loft angles, as we know.

I try to tell beginners that their job is to hit the ball forward, not up. I explain, with pencil and napkin, if necessary, that the ball compresses against the face,

and in the process of making itself round again,

does so perpendicular to the loft angle. Thus it jumps in the air with no assist from the player's swing, the purpose of which is only to drive the ball forward.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Excellent point. But baseball bat and tennis racquet hitting surfaces don't have loft angles, as we know.

I try to tell beginners that their job is to hit the ball forward, not up. I explain, with pencil and napkin, if necessary, that the ball compresses against the face,

and in the process of making itself round again,

does so perpendicular to the loft angle. Thus it jumps in the air with no assist from the player's swing, the purpose of which is only to drive the ball forward.
    This is all well and good but we're talking about someone who has ingrained a flip.

Next time you are golfing watch how many people flip. They are all high cappers and really have no idea how to release the club. They flip and then chicken wing. Pretty soon you hear "I've got tendinitis in the elbow. WTF?"

This is all well and good but we're talking about someone who has ingrained a flip.

Next time you are golfing watch how many people flip. They are all high cappers and really have no idea how to release the club. They flip and then chicken wing. Pretty soon you hear "I've got tendinitis in the elbow. WTF?"
    I like the idea of that Tour Striker club. I don't know if it teaches you not to flip, but it will definitely identify a flip.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I like the idea of that Tour Striker club. I don't know if it teaches you not to flip, but it will definitely identify a flip.
    I too like that club. I've you to buy one but I do own one The Little One from PSP golf. It's fun to hit. A regular club looks like a shovel after you get used to hitting that little thing.

I too like that club. I've you to buy one but I do own one The Little One from PSP golf. It's fun to hit. A regular club looks like a shovel after you get used to hitting that little thing.
    I've seen that, but I always wondered if that would ingrain you to hit towards the heel. I saw a guy on the putting green with basically a steel ball on the end of a putter shaft. Seems like a good way to make sure you're putting from the sweet spot.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I've seen that, but I always wondered if that would ingrain you to hit towards the heel. I saw a guy on the putting green with basically a steel ball on the end of a putter shaft. Seems like a good way to make sure you're putting from the sweet spot.
    I haven't found that. Each club has a sweet spot and it's own center of gravity (for lack of better words). After a swing of two your hitting the center with either club. it's just much harder with The Little One.

I found it really helps me with my horizontal plane. I tend to approach the ball too far from the inside. If you do that with this club a Sh*nk is in play. It really forces me to keep the club out in front of me.

Thread Information