|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 47 of 47
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    19

    Who's the candidate for you?

    Anyone interested in taking a short quiz to find out who's the best candidate for you? I found the results surprising:

    I side with?

    1. Gary Johnson - 85%
    2. Obama - 82%
    3. Jill Stein? - 69%
    4. Ron Paul - 64%
    5. Mitt Romney - 57%
    I keeps it real.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    29
    I took the quiz and here are my results:

    1. Mitt Romey - 94%
    2. Ron Paul - 82%
    3. Gary Johnson - 76%
    4. Obama - 64%

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    16
    91% Rep

    82% Libertarian

    60% Dem

    19% Green

    How on earth did it get that high with the Greens? Anyone in elected office anywhere on the globe who believes in taxing its citizenry or dictating methods of transportation or electrical power production to try to regulate the temperature of Earth's atmosphere should be disposed of since imprisoning or sterilizing them would be a waste of tax revenues.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    23
    How the fukc did mine get Hitler at 81%? He wasn't even on the quiz.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    16
    And the candidate for me is, well, ah, me. I shall write myself in and invite others to do so also and if I win, I promise that the first official thing I do is to chopper up to Camp David, get on a golf cart or dirt bike or ATV and go scope out the lay of the land to see where I want to put my golf course. Once that's done, I will solicit course designs from a Fazio or two, Nicklaus and Ben Crenshaw. Then each will send me their course routing designs on topo maps and I will go back out and ride their routes and select one of them by nightfall. Of course the National this that and the other thing that would try to put kaboshes on cutting the trees, diverting streams, digging ponds and all that necessary crap, will be permanently cut out of the loop since the second thing I will do as POTUS is to disband those organizations. You will all be invited to my golf weekends. I will have a luxury extended stay hotel built on the premises so you won't have to rough it.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    Who the hell is Jill Stein?

    That's who they're giving me. 97%

    I got O'Bama 2nd at 81%.

    Since a vote for Ms. Stein, as good a candidate as she may be, would be effectively a vote for Romney,

    I guess I'd better stick to the Kenyan Socialist.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    This thread started fast and then died young.

    I wonder if the Jill Stein answer that I got had anything to do with it?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    This thread started fast and then died young.

    I wonder if the Jill Stein answer that I got had anything to do with it?
    Agreed. I really don't know what the Green party is, but apparently I agree with 69% of Stein's views. I was quite surprised to see that my Libertarian and Democratic figures were so close. What's even weirder is that I'm very close to Mongrel in terms of the Libertarian party, but light years away on the Republican numbers.
    I keeps it real.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Agreed. I really don't know what the Green party is, but apparently I agree with 69% of Stein's views. I was quite surprised to see that my Libertarian and Democratic figures were so close. What's even weirder is that I'm very close to Mongrel in terms of the Libertarian party, but light years away on the Republican numbers.
    Those types of polls are entertaining as parlour games but the nature of the possible multiple-choice responses make them very unreliable. Now I opted to answer all the questions offered instead of breezing through without clicking on "Answer More Questions" or whatever the link read. One example for me was the question "What do you think the US should do with Afghanistan?" or some variation of same. You all remember that one. Now I clicked the one that read, paraphrasing, "Get out of there." This answer would be typical of a green, a Libertarian, and probably a Democrat. My real opinion on Arsecrackistan is to get out but not before rendering most of it so radioactive as to be uninhabitable for at least 1,000 years which should be enough time to allow for all the Tribes who have lived their for millenia to die out. Nothing good except righteous opium and hashish ever came from that land. I wonder which candidate's views on this issue mine would come closest to?
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Those types of polls are entertaining as parlour games but the nature of the possible multiple-choice responses make them very unreliable. Now I opted to answer all the questions offered instead of breezing through without clicking on "Answer More Questions" or whatever the link read. One example for me was the question "What do you think the US should do with Afghanistan?" or some variation of same. You all remember that one. Now I clicked the one that read, paraphrasing, "Get out of there." This answer would be typical of a green, a Libertarian, and probably a Democrat. My real opinion on Arsecrackistan is to get out but not before rendering most of it so radioactive as to be uninhabitable for at least 1,000 years which should be enough time to allow for all the Tribes who have lived their for millenia to die out. Nothing good except righteous opium and hashish ever came from that land. I wonder which candidate's views on this issue mine would come closest to?
    This is a good point. Most of the responses are so generic and obvious that we're bound to agree with multiple candidates.
    I keeps it real.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    White Point Golf Club
    Posts
    4,908
    Rep Power
    18
    Mitt Romney 74
    Barack Obama 70
    Jill Steinn 67
    Ron Paul 61


    Doesn't Romney hate gay people?
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic View Post
    Mitt Romney 74
    Barack Obama 70
    Jill Steinn 67
    Ron Paul 61


    Doesn't Romney hate gay people?
    If Romney and Obama aren't in your bottom 2, then you failed the test. Stay away from mainstream media sites, and ignore the comments at the bottom of the articles, they are filled with more censorship and propaganda than the story.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    If Romney and Obama aren't in your bottom 2, then you failed the test. Stay away from mainstream media sites, and ignore the comments at the bottom of the articles, they are filled with more censorship and propaganda than the story.

    The test is about agreement in ideology, not about perceived competence or even trust with the candidate's intent.

    Thus the arguments that you make are seriously inconsequential. If you take the candidates on their respective word about what they believe, with whom do you most agree?

    It's really pretty simple.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The test is about agreement in ideology, not about perceived competence or even trust with the candidate's intent.

    Thus the arguments that you make are seriously inconsequential. If you take the candidates on their respective word about what they believe, with whom do you most agree?

    It's really pretty simple.
    You nailed it. However, the candidates must be candidly forthright in their responses to the same survey. It has been my observation over the years of observing them that a sure-fire tell for a candidate when he or she is telling a whopper is when the lips move.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    The test is about agreement in ideology, not about perceived competence or even trust with the candidate's intent.

    Thus the arguments that you make are seriously inconsequential. If you take the candidates on their respective word about what they believe, with whom do you most agree?

    It's really pretty simple.
    I agree that the test is about ideology. That is why I said you fail if Obama and Romney aren't in the bottom.

    PS...That was a nice use of the straw man technique, but it wasn't necessary.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    I agree that the test is about ideology. That is why I said you fail if Obama and Romney aren't in the bottom.

    PS...That was a nice use of the straw man technique, but it wasn't necessary.
    I'm a bit surprised you don't consider competence at all when choosing a candidate.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    Most of the opinionated people who seriously disagree with me on this forum often make wildly inaccurate observations.

    What's entertaining about NAG is that he makes sharply accurate observations and follows up drawing totally inane conclusions from them.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Most of the opinionated people who seriously disagree with me on this forum often make wildly inaccurate observations.

    What's entertaining about NAG is that he makes sharply accurate observations and follows up drawing totally inane conclusions from them.
    Do you understand what The Purist meant by straw man technique? Can you see how I was using it there? Obviously not so you missed the point of the post and you drew an inane conclusion.

    These types of buffoonery have never been disclaimed by me. In your case, calling things inane that go over your head ain't exactly pulling up the Harvard curve.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    I completely got your "straw man" technique immediately.

    You knew I was referencing competence in terms of the quiz and not in terms of actually choosing a candidate, but you posted as though I wasn't.

    That was obvious. Quite humorous.

    How I strawmanned Purist is less obvious to me.

    In any case, my observation was a general one loosely related to the thread at most. Not that I'd retract it. You've just made a another very accurate observation and drawn another off the wall conclusion from it.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I completely got your "straw man" technique immediately.

    You knew I was referencing competence in terms of the quiz and not in terms of actually choosing a candidate, but you posted as though I wasn't.

    That was obvious. Quite humorous.

    How I strawmanned Purist is less obvious to me.

    In any case, my observation was a general one loosely related to the thread at most. Not that I'd retract it. You've just made a another very accurate observation and drawn another off the wall conclusion from it.
    Admissions aren't your strong suit and the evidence is clear. Sorry but you crapped all over yourself. It happens although your gaffe here would be galactic for someone who went to lowly (your perspective) UMass.. And your strawman technique was explained by TP.

    It's very simple, I have a science background and have been trained and proven successful at collecting data and making conclusions only sparingly and only when supported by overwhelming evidence.

    You worked for a union.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    All this straw man talk. In NZ we call it a scare crow. If you drove a tractor on a farm you'd know that.

    Having said that NAG has lept from strawman to ad hominen in a single bound.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 08-31-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    All this straw man talk. In NZ we call it a scare crow. If you drove a tractor on a farm you'd know that.
    I would honestly volunteer to drive a tractor on a farm for a day. In England they call strawman an Aunt Sally .

    I differ though, kudos to TP for introducing the term here on GR where the use of the technique is widespread.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    I would honestly volunteer to drive a tractor on a farm for a day. In England they call strawman an Aunt Sally .

    I differ though, kudos to TP for introducing the term here on GR where the use of the technique is widespread.
    I worked for a hire company where I occasionally drove a tractor delivering it too or returning it from a customer. Never drove one in a working sense apart from towing our boat to the boat ramp. Beats backing the car into salt water.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    This time Lorenzo actually made a pretty poor observation.

    A union worked for me. Very well, it should be obvious.

    I presently live pretty well for a retired guy never encumbered by the stifling life of having run a business.

    But no more arguing for now. I've got a dance teacher for whom I must appropriately groom myself.

    For the time being, you gentlemen have become suddenly less interesting.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I worked for a hire company where I occasionally drove a tractor delivering it too or returning it from a customer. Never drove one in a working sense apart from towing our boat to the boat ramp. Beats backing the car into salt water.
    I was a valet attendant at a ski resort. Used to take them fun cars and once down the ramp sometimes have to circle the lot looking for the best spot at a high rate of speed. It was a service, some people weren't beaking them in right and probably didn't even know it. Love the sound a car makes after it's been driven really hard and then turned off. The sound is actually the car moaning from having been throttled.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I worked for a hire company where I occasionally drove a tractor delivering it too or returning it from a customer. Never drove one in a working sense apart from towing our boat to the boat ramp. Beats backing the car into salt water.
    My main job as a kid was to mow the 20+ acres of turfgrass the old man planted on our farm and to maintain the green and bunkers he had built. The main mower was a 1914 tractor with an inline 8 cylinder Lycoming aircraft engine and a 4 speed gearbox. It had dual rear tyres and six ganged reel mowers. It could cut a swath about 20 feet wide down to PGA Tour fairway length. My father had an old Italian man who was the farm handyman after he retired from the factory. The old man remembered using the same tractor to mow the fairways of a golf course just west of Philadelphia in 1916.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    This time Lorenzo actually made a pretty poor observation.

    A union worked for me. Very well, it should be obvious.

    I presently live pretty well for a retired guy never encumbered by the stifling life of having run a business.

    But no more arguing for now. I've got a dance teacher for whom I must appropriately groom myself.

    For the time being, you gentlemen have become suddenly less interesting.
    So you didn't work for a union, a union worked for you. Well, I know you're trolling Nift, but that's really stupid, although it exemplifies your Alice in Wonderland dementia.

    Like government workers, union people lack the skill to survive on their own merit in the real world and are incapable of running a business or feeding themselves. Their existence is to parasite union members. History is complete in that regard. The price for that is bitterness, jealousy and resentment.

    The other thing is you might show some gratitude towards those of us that put the food on your table.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New England... yeah whatever.
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    Like government workers, union people lack the skill to survive on their own merit in the real world and are incapable of running a business or feeding themselves. Their existence is to parasite union members. History is complete in that regard. The price for that is bitterness, jealousy and resentment.
    This is absolute crap. Your resume probably wouldn't make it past the first cut on a tenured government job search. There are 300 applications for every 1 hire. If you have a government position, chances are you survived 2 rounds of resume screenings, 2 rounds of phone interviews, and were among 6-8 finalists that had to make it through extensive final round of hiring committees. There's a good chance you need a terminal degree (in this era a doctorate). Plus, in all likelihood, the first year of your position is probationary and based on merit. Then in another 6 years of pristine job performance, you may or may not get tenure.

    The jealousy lies in the people that realize they couldn't make the cut for high end government service. Quite a bit of the elite few elect to serve their country in lieu of higher pay in the private sector. But I suppose you prefer that your government, especially on the military, medical, and infrastructure side of things, be comprised entirely of dumb asses...
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chillin' with my Freakamaniacs, brother.
    Posts
    2,545
    Rep Power
    14
    Barack Obama 87%
    Jill Stein 86%
    Rocky Anderson 71%
    Mitt Romney 21%
    American Voters 59%

    94% Democratic
    76% Green
    21% Libertarian
    9% Republican

    That won't make me many friends around here.

    Thankfully...

    I'm a Canadian.



    FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

    Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by CPS View Post
    This is absolute crap. Your resume probably wouldn't make it past the first cut on a tenured government job search. There are 300 applications for every 1 hire. If you have a government position, chances are you survived 2 rounds of resume screenings, 2 rounds of phone interviews, and were among 6-8 finalists that had to make it through extensive final round of hiring committees. There's a good chance you need a terminal degree (in this era a doctorate). Plus, in all likelihood, the first year of your position is probationary and based on merit. Then in another 6 years of pristine job performance, you may or may not get tenure.

    The jealousy lies in the people that realize they couldn't make the cut for high end government service. Quite a bit of the elite few elect to serve their country in lieu of higher pay in the private sector. But I suppose you prefer that your government, especially on the military, medical, and infrastructure side of things, be comprised entirely of dumb asses...
    Yes, at the very highest levels there are doctorates. How that's relevant to anything, other than a tiny percentage of government employees, is anybody's guess.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    In a way, I'm glad that Lorenzo changed his user name to NAG.

    Lorenzo was occasionally interesting.

    NAG has become a b!tchy, catty, old lady with perpetual PMS.

    I'm reminded in a way of my blessed mother, but certainly not in the way mentioned above.

    She loathed Madonna for the disgrace that the tramp brought upon our ethnicity.

    It's very much the way I feel about Justice Scalia who can't even pronounce his own family name, the pig.

    I assume the family is grateful.

    Your not "hound daig" anymore, NAG.

    You're just another loser wop who couldn't cut it where he came from.

    If you were born in the North End instead of the old country, however, you would have gotten yourself tuned up in a hurry with your mouth. Believe it.

    **** you, NAG.

    You're on my ignore list, and be glad. There are worst lists of mine that you could be on, clown.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 09-01-2012 at 07:55 AM.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Ok, Larry of the Left, think real hard now, hard enough to remember back when you could separate reality from lies. I know I'm not on your ignore list because I'm probably the only person on the planet who knows exactly who you are and isn't afraid to say. What annoys you is you don't fool me. Yourself, yes, me, no. You want to live in your little world of self-deception, yet you wander around where the tradition is to call bs. If you didn't want honest peer review you'd be on some wacko, fringe, post 60-s board where you can each s.uck each other's limp dicks while nodding heads.

    Here I was trying to save you from being so chronically boring and give you some way to be interesting. Obviously that's too big a job for any one person to take on.

    And it's very simple, if you don't want to be deconstructed, don't deconstruct others. The golden rule. Otherwise be a man and learn to take what you dish out, p.ussy.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    The only problem I have with calling Nifty 'Larry of the Left' is that when this left wing Larry posts that he shot a 79 I believe him.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    The only problem I have with calling Nifty 'Larry of the Left' is that when this left wing Larry posts that he shot a 79 I believe him.

    NAG is a pedantic bloviator whose laughably predictable mid-life crisis manifests itself in an absurdly exaggerated perception of his own profundity.

    He likes to cherry pick examples of my personal behavior and attributes, perhaps even comments, because personalities represent the maximum depth to which he can intellectually go in understanding people.

    The concept of being an ideologue and defining oneself by the values one chooses in the polling place shouldn't really be over any intelligent person's head, but it's clearly over NAG's.

    UMass sounds just about right for him.

    At least Lorenzo spoke occasionally about golf, an area where he has a little bit more game than myself. The NAG personna is content to be a fishwife that fancies herself a sage.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    There seems to be a lot of discontent on this forum with your two party system but from my observation this exists in almost all Western democracies. We have a left wing and right wing two party system too but they have introduced MMP (Mixed Member Proportional representation) meaning small parties can get into Parliament and influence politics meaning the big two parties don't have it all their own way. Sounds good in theory but the big two end up having to do deals with the small parties meaning the small parties are able to push aspects of their hairbrained agenda through even though they only won about 7-8% of the vote. In other words the tail wagging the dog. We have the obligatory 'Green' party as well as a race based Maori party that represents the interests of the indigenous Maori as well as a couple of the usual fringe Christian party and a xenophobic anti Asian anti immigration party.

    Of course I always vote for the right but in reality life doesn't change that much for me either way. With the left in power taxes go up, more money is spent on beneficiaries and Govt depts grow in size into bloated oversize inefficient drains on the govt coffers. With the right in power I pay less tax and govt depts get downsized meaning govt workers get laid off. Again it has little impact on me except that I get to keep more of my own money in my back pocket.

    So apart from the in tax aspect if I ignored the news media I doubt I would even notice a difference regardless of who is in power.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    There seems to be a lot of discontent on this forum with your two party system but from my observation this exists in almost all Western democracies. We have a left wing and right wing two party system too but they have introduced MMP (Mixed Member Proportional representation) meaning small parties can get into Parliament and influence politics meaning the big two parties don't have it all their own way. Sounds good in theory but the big two end up having to do deals with the small parties meaning the small parties are able to push aspects of their hairbrained agenda through even though they only won about 7-8% of the vote. In other words the tail wagging the dog. We have the obligatory 'Green' party as well as a race based Maori party that represents the interests of the indigenous Maori as well as a couple of the usual fringe Christian party and a xenophobic anti Asian anti immigration party.

    Of course I always vote for the right but in reality life doesn't change that much for me either way. With the left in power taxes go up, more money is spent on beneficiaries and Govt depts grow in size into bloated oversize inefficient drains on the govt coffers. With the right in power I pay less tax and govt depts get downsized meaning govt workers get laid off. Again it has little impact on me except that I get to keep more of my own money in my back pocket.

    So apart from the in tax aspect if I ignored the news media I doubt I would even notice a difference regardless of who is in power.
    Today begins the fall football season. Soon I'll leave for the Colisuem to watch the pre-season number one. Woohoo.

    This discussion isn't really about politics it's about entitlement and preferential treatment. The denial of which produces tantrums. Waaaahhh!!!

    But what's making me laugh right now, what's truly funny is how Nifty painted himself into a corner by claiming he's blocked my posts. I know he's lying, as usual. But he has to pretend he's not reading this. Or is he getting ready for one of his boxing matches. Oh wait...that was his brother. Right.

    Who could be so brainless as to put himself in that kind of position? Nifty never went to Harvard, there's not close to enough horsepower there. I know Harvard people. Harvard people are friends of mine. Nifty's hardly Ivy League. No truly intelligent person needs to leverage a supposed education on a discussion board. We're all capable of reading each other's words.

    That is unless we've run away crying.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Enjoy the match. I'm enjoying the US Open on TV right now. Anna Ivanovich will be on in an hour so that will be worth a look!

    After that I might go play a lazy 18 this Sunday afternoon. It's nearly spring here. Life could be worse.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Enjoy the match. I'm enjoying the US Open on TV right now. Anna Ivanovich will be on in an hour so that will be worth a look!

    After that I might go play a lazy 18 this Sunday afternoon. It's nearly spring here. Life could be worse.
    Anna's worth a Tivo, thanks for the heads up! My suggestion would be to detain the wife before the golf so you don't end up with the wrong club in your hand.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by not a german View Post
    anna's worth a tivo, thanks for the heads up! My suggestion would be to detain the wife before the golf so you don't end up with the wrong club in your hand.
    ROFL

    Never knew NAG had it in him!
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    ROFL

    Never knew NAG had it in him!
    NAG does what he needs to do.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    24
    Ok now I'm pissed. Right now I should be perving on Anna Ivanovich but instead they are showing Blake vs Raonic. Enough already! I tuned in to watch the hottest babe in tennis not to see a meaningless men's match between a has been and a boring Canadian also ran!
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New England... yeah whatever.
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Of course I always vote for the right but in reality life doesn't change that much for me either way. With the left in power taxes go up, more money is spent on beneficiaries and Govt depts grow in size into bloated oversize inefficient drains on the govt coffers. With the right in power I pay less tax and govt depts get downsized meaning govt workers get laid off. Again it has little impact on me except that I get to keep more of my own money in my back pocket.
    It's commendable to vote your best interests and lower taxes. Back when I was a full throttled conservative, I shared those views. But after years of seeing the results, you understand things the way they are (plus you don't want to be anywhere near the "social issues" the wingnuts here are embracing).

    I have no idea what it is like there... but here a federal tax decrease just means your state, property, and excise taxes will go up. Since those kind of taxes hit the middle and poor classes much harder than the upper class... essentially any federal tax decrease is a major tax increase on the people who can least afford it.

    The famous Bush tax cuts gave the everyday family a chunk less in federal taxes but so what... by the next year their property taxes outpaced any savings. The conservative paradise of "income tax free" Texas isn't such a paradise if you own a house and pay property taxes that would easily surpass the total of income, property, and excise taxes you pay in another state (even a liberal one).

    Then of course... these tax cuts are never paid for either. This isn't exactly always the Presidents fault. Our congress currently enjoys a 10% approval rating. Our congress is like a bunch of kids who go to college and get their first credit cards. They aren't even thinking (or planning) on how to pay back the balances they run up on those cards.

    So ultimately, someone will pay, at huge interest. Now the conservatives on this board will tell you the only debt interest being transfered to the next generation is Obama's (who has a minor say on the budget 2 of his 4 years). Reality is the future is now: Generation X is paying huge interest on Bush debt, some Clinton debt, Reagan debt, and even a trillion from WWII.

    Like they say... someone has to pay. I vote for the Boomers, they should be leaving us an inheritance, not a reverse mortgage.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    13
    He's lying again, there's no way it's that long.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	960x595.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	2903

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coto De Caza-- RT Jones
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CPS View Post
    This is absolute crap. Your resume probably wouldn't make it past the first cut on a tenured government job search. There are 300 applications for every 1 hire. If you have a government position, chances are you survived 2 rounds of resume screenings, 2 rounds of phone interviews, and were among 6-8 finalists that had to make it through extensive final round of hiring committees. There's a good chance you need a terminal degree (in this era a doctorate). Plus, in all likelihood, the first year of your position is probationary and based on merit. Then in another 6 years of pristine job performance, you may or may not get tenure.

    The jealousy lies in the people that realize they couldn't make the cut for high end government service. Quite a bit of the elite few elect to serve their country in lieu of higher pay in the private sector. But I suppose you prefer that your government, especially on the military, medical, and infrastructure side of things, be comprised entirely of dumb asses...
    Wow! I nearly puked reading that BS. I was a GS-15 for 3 years before I moved on to earn DOUBLE that pay as a consultant. Even in the NRC where everyone is an engineer, supervisory level people were basically incompetent because their entire background was academia. These losers could not function at the supervisory level in a business that has competitors and survives only if past performance was very good. Government gave jobs to our castoffs.

    And in government losers hire other losers! I love it "hiring committees!" People without a history of success selecting people of similar background! People like Obama and those around him select other losers who have never had a job or owned a company-- and expect them to know how to create jobs!! Hilarious-- if the future of our country were not at stake.

    And the White House staff are the cream of the cream, the top of the heap in a Democrat Administration. This country is sinking fast because businesses of every size refuses to hire-- because of the uncertain tax and regulatory future. DUH, people like the CEO of Caterpiller and FedEx have told government over and over again why they cannot hire. So what do the morons do? Unlease the EPA on them! Shut down all coal mining. Stop all oil drilling. and on and on. I hope Romney on his first day in office CANCELS all of the pending stupid EPA rules and fires most of those morons.

    Larry
    Last edited by Larryrsf; 09-06-2012 at 02:43 PM.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Larryrsf View Post
    Wow! I nearly puked reading that BS. I was a GS-15 for 3 years before I moved on to earn DOUBLE that pay as a consultant. Even in the NRC where everyone is an engineer, supervisory level people were basically incompetent because their entire background was academia. These losers could not function at the supervisory level in a business that has competitors and survives only if past performance was very good. Government gave jobs to our castoffs.

    And in government losers hire other losers! I love it "hiring committees!" People without a history of success selecting people of similar background! People like Obama and those around him select other losers who have never had a job or owned a company-- and expect them to know how to create jobs!! Hilarious-- if the future of our country were not at stake.

    And the White House staff are the cream of the cream, the top of the heap in a Democrat Administration. This country is sinking fast because businesses of every size refuses to hire-- because of the uncertain tax and regulatory future. DUH, people like the CEO of Caterpiller and FedEx have told government over and over again why they cannot hire. So what do the morons do? Unlease the EPA on them! Shut down all coal mining. Stop all oil drilling. and on and on. I hope Romney on his first day in office CANCELS all of the pending stupid EPA rules and fires most of those morons.

    Larry
    You do realize that all of our armed forces are government employees. Surely your not implying that they are losers? CIA, Pentagon, FBI are all losers too?

    That would also mean that all of those engineers at NASA, losers. Some of the worlds brightest in think tanks, losers. My mother was a programmer for the artificial intelligence lab in NM. I guess she's a loser too. My father in law was the acting director at Los Alamos National labs. I guess he's a loser too. I played golf and had dinner with his friends. All world renowned physicists and mathematicians, losers.

    My best friend brother worked for the government at White Sands Missile Range. He had a double major in mechanical and electrical engineering. He ran the high speed camera for the missile tests. He tested for a chemical engineering placement exam for a doctoral programs and scored in the top 1% nationally. He learned all of the chemical engineering on his own. He developed a mechanical device for cameras which he sold the patent to Sony. He's definitely a loser. He worked briefly for private industry but hated his boss. Probably some pin head bean counter. He's back at the government in a think tank.

    You learned your living as an engineer in the military. So, you're a loser too. HA!

  46. #46
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    19
    Liary was one of the engineers as SONGS.
    I keeps it real.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Posts
    2,777
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    You do realize that all of our armed forces are government employees. Surely your not implying that they are losers? CIA, Pentagon, FBI are all losers too?
    Magically, the presence of a Republican in the White House transforms them!
    TaylorMade r7 9.5
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52, Titleist Vokey 56 & 60
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •