|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best and Worst Musicals

1. Grease - I can't imagine a better musical that is actually a pretty cool movie

2. Fame - You gotta love the name

3. Little Shop of Horrors. Rick the Moron's only good movie.

4. Willie Wonka-1st version of course. Umpa Lumpa.

5. Purple Rain - An you? What do you dream about?

WORST:

1. Cop Rock - Ok, it was a TV show but it sucked

2. Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band -Bee Gees, Peter Framption, Aerosmith....horrible.

3. Can't Stop the Music - Village People. Yes, I actually paid money to see this. Well, my parents did.

4. Xanadu: Horrible

5. Stayin' Alive: Not really a musical but it was so bad that I had to mention it.

Our farm was about a 90 minute drive from Broadway back in the 1950's even though it was in the sticks in southeastern PA. Every once in awhile my father would pack us up in the station wagon and drive to Manhattan for an early dinner and an 8:30 PM show. So I saw lots of the premiere musicals that still run on stage today but I the ones I saw had the original casts. My favorite was one of the last we attended, "How to Succeed in Business (Without Really Trying"). "South Pacific" was cool because some of the actresses wore not much clothing. Et cetera ad nauseum. The bottom line is that every theatrical production I've attended since about 1961 has been borish and tedious for me to sit through with the sole exception being "Les Miserables" in London in 1988.

The absolute worst musical in any medium of all time is the movie "Evita". Makes me want to puke just thinking about it.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I agree with Grease and Little Shop, and would add O' Brother Where Art Thou to the mix.

Movies like Chicago and Moulan Rouge are unwatchable.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Best. Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Worst. Does any Glee show count?
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

I was going to say where is Rocky Horror Picture Show? But I see jt has it covered.

Mary Poppins is coming to Auckland in October. Thankfully I got out of that. Dad & I will golf while Mum & SWMBO attend the show.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Does Tommy count or is that more of a rock opera?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    I would say a rock opera. Even so, The Wall would kick Tommy's arse but Flash Gordon! would pull a distant third.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I would say a rock opera. Even so, The Wall would kick Tommy's arse but Flash Gordon! would pull a distant third.
    No argument from me on that. The Who seems to get second billing out of the British bands from the 60's and 70's. I like their stuff a lot.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

No argument from me on that. The Who seems to get second billing out of the British bands from the 60's and 70's. I like their stuff a lot.
    Yeah songs like Pictures of Lily, I'm a Boy and Happy Jack really rock. Their high pitch harmonising is only marginally less gay than the Beach Boys.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I think the best movies made by actual musical groups were done by the Beatles. Help is a really funny movie.

IMO, the very best movie ever to be done by a rock star is Purple Rain by a landslide. It had the perfect mix of great music, bad acting, great characters and interesting story line. Heartwarming and energizing.

Jailhouse Rock was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Yeah songs like Pictures of Lily, I'm a Boy and Happy Jack really rock. Their high pitch harmonising is only marginally less gay than the Beach Boys.
    That's just nitpicking. See Me, Feel Me had gay harmonizing and that's a good tune.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I thought that you meant stage musicals.

I can sit through a musical in a theater because ladies like to be taken to the theater.

I can't sit through a musical in a cineplex.
    Not saying anything bad about it.
    Just can't do it.

That's just nitpicking. See Me, Feel Me had gay harmonizing and that's a good tune.
    They are an enigma to me. They seem to lurch between genuine rock anthems and stupid childish sounding songs that wouldn't be out of place on a kids Chipmunk Punk album. Then again I suppose I could say the same about Eminem.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I thought that you meant stage musicals.

I can sit through a musical in a theater because ladies like to be taken to the theater.

I can't sit through a musical in a cineplex.
    Not saying anything bad about it.
    Just can't do it.
    My parents told me I should go see the Abba musical. I don't think so. I saw Annie a few years back and I couldn't wait to get out of the theatre. I hate plays and musicals. I think they are, for the most part, very lame and one of those things that you are supposed to appreciate. Barf.

The worst thing I ever had to sit through in the cineplex was a Rolling Stones Concert movie. For one thing, I don't think the Stones are that great in concert and I'm really not a Mick Jagger fan. I like a lot of their songs.

Some Girls is their best album. I have most of their albums so don't give me that "oh, you don't know their early stuff". Yes I do and Some Girls is their best album.

The best Beatles album is Sgt. Pepper or Revolver.

The best Toto album was that one with Africa.

Best Rick Springfiled album was the first one with Jesse's Girl

You might hold judgement on The Beach Boys until you've laid out a blanket after catching a few waves during your visit here. You'll be asked to tone down your singing of Little Duece Coupe.

And when the bigger sets come in you'll be telling your squeeze you'll see her in a few as you paddle out to the tune of Surfing USA.

Their stuff ony works at the beach or if you're thinking about it.

[QUOTE=Not a German;281269]You might hold judgement on The Beach Boys until you've laid out a blanket after catching a few waves during your visit here. You'll be asked to tone down your singing of Little Duece Coupe.

And when the bigger sets come in you'll be telling your squeeze you'll see her in a few as you paddle out to the tune of Surfing USA.

Their stuff ony works at the beach or if you're thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

It worked real good for me in the summer of '64 cruising up and down PCH in my friend's brand new midnight blue four speed tri-power GTO. Later I almost drowned from the undertow at the Huntington Cliffs so I said "f*ck surfing" and went back to downhill skiing. Much safer but the GTO's sucked in the snow. (Or in the rain, for that matter.)
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    You might hold judgement on The Beach Boys until you've laid out a blanket after catching a few waves during your visit here. You'll be asked to tone down your singing of Little Duece Coupe.

I completely agree. I've gone to the beach when the beach boys are playing in the background and their music sounds 10 times better at the beach. In fact it sounds awesome.

Soak City they've got it too.

[QUOTE=mongrel;281273]

Their stuff ony works at the beach or if you're thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

It worked real good for me in the summer of '64 cruising up and down PCH in my friend's brand new midnight blue four speed tri-power GTO. Later I almost drowned from the undertow at the Huntington Cliffs so I said "f*ck surfing" and went back to downhill skiing. Much safer but the GTO's sucked in the snow. (Or in the rain, for that matter.)
    The worst part of surfing is learning. Your choices are easy waves amongst a throng of newbs or more challenging waves that risk a trip to the ER.

It so happens someone drowned at Salt Creek in Monarch Beach on Sunday. A place I go only when conditions are challenging enough to limit crowds and make for fun spectating. Big surf leads to big undertows, particularly dangerous when the storm comes from an unusual direction, which was the case.

I was at that beach on Sunday and along with many others joined the search. Today, Thursday they're still looking for the body. Currents from large surf can become powerful under the surface rivers capable of locking its victim underwater for great distances.

The victim had no board or other form of flotation. With a board attached to you by a leash these things are much less likely to happen.

http://lagunaniguel.patch.com/articl...photo-11216788

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    My parents told me I should go see the Abba musical. I don't think so. I saw Annie a few years back and I couldn't wait to get out of the theatre. I hate plays and musicals. I think they are, for the most part, very lame and one of those things that you are supposed to appreciate. Barf.

The worst thing I ever had to sit through in the cineplex was a Rolling Stones Concert movie. For one thing, I don't think the Stones are that great in concert and I'm really not a Mick Jagger fan. I like a lot of their songs.

Some Girls is their best album. I have most of their albums so don't give me that "oh, you don't know their early stuff". Yes I do and Some Girls is their best album.

The best Beatles album is Sgt. Pepper or Revolver.

The best Toto album was that one with Africa.

Best Rick Springfiled album was the first one with Jesse's Girl
    I agree 100% about the theatre. Normally during the intermission I'm thinking "Gee I wish I could go home!" instead of have to go back and face the torture of the second half.

However "best Rick Springfields album" is an oxymoron.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yeah I'm willing to concede the Beach Boys Surfing USA would be pretty cool when you're at the beach.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I agree 100% about the theatre. Normally during the intermission I'm thinking "Gee I wish I could go home!" instead of have to go back and face the torture of the second half.

However "best Rick Springfields album" is an oxymoron.
    I remember we had some friends telling me about the musical play Mama Mia-A tribute to Abba. My friend really surprised me when he said how great it was. He even went out and bought the CD. He said it was wonderful and that people were dancing in the aisles.

I can't imagine doing that. Then again, people go to hard rock concerts and slam into each other in the pit so I guess it's not that different. More civilized, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I remember we had some friends telling me about the musical play Mama Mia-A tribute to Abba. My friend really surprised me when he said how great it was. He even went out and bought the CD. He said it was wonderful and that people were dancing in the aisles.

I can't imagine doing that. Then again, people go to hard rock concerts and slam into each other in the pit so I guess it's not that different. More civilized, I guess.
    I've been to various shows just to appease different girlfriends over the years and my wife and there haven't been many I've actually enjoyed if any? But some are definitely more tolerable than others. I think the most recent show was Phantom of the Opera which was Ok but I was still happiest when the final curtain came down.

I got dragged along to that Abba tribute band Bjorn again with my wife and another couple. I wasn't impressed until Anni-frid and Agnetha came out in little red hot pants!

From then on I was sold. My wife couldn't believe I was actually standing up dancing with them. But when Agnetha says "Come on clap your hands!" I say, "Ok baby, anything for you!"

The other couple were younger and the guy sat there sulking all night like a douche claiming he didn't know the music. Come on! He may not have been listening to them in their heyday but you can't tell me you've grown up not hearing that stuff. I guess joining in with the ladies beats joining him and sulking all night.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I've been to various shows just to appease different girlfriends over the years and my wife and there haven't been many I've actually enjoyed if any? But some are definitely more tolerable than others. I think the most recent show was Phantom of the Opera which was Ok but I was still happiest when the final curtain came down.

I got dragged along to that Abba tribute band Bjorn again with my wife and another couple. I wasn't impressed until Anni-frid and Agnetha came out in little red hot pants!

From then on I was sold. My wife couldn't believe I was actually standing up dancing with them. But when Agnetha says "Come on clap your hands!" I say, "Ok baby, anything for you!"

The other couple were younger and the guy sat there sulking all night like a douche claiming he didn't know the music. Come on! He may not have been listening to them in their heyday but you can't tell me you've grown up not hearing that stuff. I guess joining in with the ladies beats joining him and sulking all night.
    Don't get me wrong. I was dissing the play. I love the group Abba. Dancing Queen, SOS, & so many other great dancing songs. Heck, I want to get up on my desk and dance to Fernando.

Oh, we could tell you were an Abba fan way before this thread FD.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Would Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa count?

That is the only musical/rock opera I would ever ever consider attending... even if a girl was involved.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

Zappa's best would have to be 200 Motels.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Thread Information