|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Yesterday's Round

Hard as it is to believe, yesterday I was paired for 9 holes with a ball-striker even better than Famous Davis. He was about 55, a generator builder/installer. Long story short, he had 3 birds and an eagle. I had walked ahead and was standing on the fringe when his eagle approach landed on the elevated green. Kinda neat to be standing right there when it hits, skips forward, and rools back 6 feet and gently drops. He played Big Bertha irons and Rocketballs.

The other guy in the group had a great L.A.P.D. story. It was 1966 and he was walking down Sunset, about to enter a hamburger joint, with a half-pound of weed under his shirt. Suddenly a cop car screeched to a halt in front of the restaurant and two cops jumped out with guns drawn. He said to himself, "this is my neighborhood - if I can just get around that corner, they'll never find me," so he sprinted around the restaurant, and ran straight into a rifle butt. He was doubled over in pain when the restaurant manager came out and exclaimed, "That ain't the guy - he musta run out the back!"

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Hard as it is to believe, yesterday I was paired for 9 holes with a ball-striker even better than Famous Davis. He was about 55, a generator builder/installer. Long story short, he had 3 birds and an eagle. I had walked ahead and was standing on the fringe when his eagle approach landed on the elevated green. Kinda neat to be standing right there when it hits, skips forward, and rools back 6 feet and gently drops. He played Big Bertha irons and Rocketballs.

The other guy in the group had a great L.A.P.D. story. It was 1966 and he was walking down Sunset, about to enter a hamburger joint, with a half-pound of weed under his shirt. Suddenly a cop car screeched to a halt in front of the restaurant and two cops jumped out with guns drawn. He said to himself, "this is my neighborhood - if I can just get around that corner, they'll never find me," so he sprinted around the restaurant, and ran straight into a rifle butt. He was doubled over in pain when the restaurant manager came out and exclaimed, "That ain't the guy - he musta run out the back!"
    That's pretty good to have 3 birdies and an eagle. I did that about 3 weeks ago. No biggie.

Today I went to a couple of shops and did some club ho'ing. I got a set of barely used (and I do mean barely used...maybe 2 rounds?) of Ping ISI-K irons, 3-PW, blue dot, JZ Stiff for $39 and then a Taylormade R9 SuperTri 8.5 with Motore F1 something Stiff shaft, like new for $69. I also picked up a set of Ping Eye 2+, Red Dots with a very rare Ping Graffaloy Graphite shafts. I"ve never played Eye 2s with graphite so it should be neato keen. The shafts are pure black but with a dull finish. They felt great in the simulator. I did not get a deal on these as they were priced at $140 and that's about what they'd sell for on Ebay. Can't wait for Sunday. Later.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    That's pretty good to have 3 birdies and an eagle. I did that about 3 weeks ago. No biggie.

I forgot to mention I only played nine holes with them.

I forgot to mention I only played nine holes with them.
    I did it during the first 4 holes. LOL. It's always a fun thing to play with someone who is much better than you are. I used to play in a big skins group where we had a scratch, +1 and +3 handicap. The +3 guy had won several NCGA amateur events. You learn a great deal from playing with people at that level. What you realize is that it usually isn't one thing they are much better at. Instead, they are simply better at all aspects of the game, including strategy.

This is about 15 years ago but I remember one time playing with a guy who actually had played on the Senior Tour. He didn't do well and got his amateur status back after 2 years. Anyway, I used to be really bad at course mgmt. I would use a SW for chipping, hit 3 wood for my second shot on Par 5's, even if I was 280 away and always aimed for the pin. One time he just looked at me and said "you sure make this game more difficult than it is". He meant it kindly but it was good for me to hear it.

If I had that much weed I would be hunting the wily hamburger myself.
    Cleveland long clubs
    Adams Idea Pro irons
    Vokey and Cleveland wedges

Quote Originally Posted by daveperkins View Post
    If I had that much weed I would be hunting the wily hamburger myself.
    Back in '66, a half pound was no big deal. I flew from LAX to PHL several times in '66 and '67 with several ounces of weed wrapped in socks in my carry-on gym bag. If you were relatively clean-cut, no one even looked at you twice except the stewardesses who, for you real young guys, used to be real knock-outs with 96.5% of them doable right on the spot.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Great story. Did the cops want to know why he was legging it if he 'wasn't the guy?'
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Back in '66, a half pound was no big deal. I flew from LAX to PHL several times in '66 and '67 with several ounces of weed wrapped in socks in my carry-on gym bag. If you were relatively clean-cut, no one even looked at you twice except the stewardesses who, for you real young guys, used to be real knock-outs with 96.5% of them doable right on the spot.
    It was a memorable night in 1969, when I accompanied my buddy on a trip to Chicago to visit his stewardess girlfriend; she roomed with four other stewardesses in a big upstair apartment flat. They threw a party because they were all off for 24 hours; good for me, because these girls made no pretenses about how they wanted to enjoy their time off; however, my buddies GF broke up with him that night, so it was a quiet ride home.

Thread Information