|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Two Subject Thread: Cart Bags and Cleveland TA5 Irons

Ok, this is a two subject thread.

1) I'm ashamed to say that I'm in the market for a cart bag. All the guys I play with seem to want to ride and it simply doesn't work for me to walk when there are 3 guys in the group using carts. I would like a bag with a putter well. I'm not sure about club dividers but I like the idea of the irons not clanking together while we ride. I saw a Bag Boy yesterday that had spinning top and sounded like the spinner on the board game named LIFE. Any recommendations?

2) Cleveland TA5 irons. First, let me say that I've never been a Cleveland guy. I've played the 460 launcher and some 588 wedges but that was long ago.

So, I'm in GG the other day and happened upon a set of like new TA5 irons (the version that's all silver in the cavity), 3-PW, Stiff shafts in basically new condition. Maybe they were played twice at most. Price is $105.

I go in the simulator and these irons feel fantastic and deliver amazing distance. I was hitting the 8 iron 155 and for me that's pretty long. I then tried the 5 iron and was hitting it 185. The feel of these irons is fantastic and they seem extremely easy to swing. The profile at address is a little like a Ping Eye 2 but with less offset and less pointed toe.

Anyone played the Cleveland TA5? I read some great reviews on it in the review section.

Referencing the Bag Boy cart bag; it is called the Revolver, and it does have two quick release clips on the outside for a wedge and a putter, at least mine does. It was given to may as a gift by my son several years ago; is built like a tank (weighs about the same, too); the revolving top works great and has individual dividers with rubber clips at the top which keep your irons from rattling around. I haven't used it as much this year as I was flipping between carrying and a cart on the leagues I was in, however, next year I plan to only play a daily best ball tournament and will re employ the Revolver as they play carts mostly.

No experience with the Cleveland TA5 irons, although, I have had a lot of positive results with their drivers lately including a DST Tour I picked up cheap as chips. For the money Cleveland anything is hard to beat imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    Referencing the Bag Boy cart bag; it is called the Revolver, and it does have two quick release clips on the outside for a wedge and a putter, at least mine does. It was given to may as a gift by my son several years ago; is built like a tank (weighs about the same, too); the revolving top works great and has individual dividers with rubber clips at the top which keep your irons from rattling around. I haven't used it as much this year as I was flipping between carrying and a cart on the leagues I was in, however, next year I plan to only play a daily best ball tournament and will re employ the Revolver as they play carts mostly.

No experience with the Cleveland TA5 irons, although, I have had a lot of positive results with their drivers lately including a DST Tour I picked up cheap as chips. For the money Cleveland anything is hard to beat imo.

Thank you JonT. I was concerned that I may have started a thread only to have nobody respond. Mongrel must be out playing golf or at the shooting range. He always responds to these posts.

I asked about the Bag Boy because my regular playing partner has one and he likes it. I don't particularly like the colors but it's a good bag.

I have a set of TA 4's and they pretty much suck. Never hit the 5's but there may be a small cult following for the 3's or whichever TA model is forged instead of cast. I liked my TopFlite Tours, the oversized with the double diamonds embossed in the soles, about the best of any cast irons I ever played.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Don;t get a bag where the putter just clips to the side. Seen a bunch of guys have to go back and look for there putter.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    Don;t get a bag where the putter just clips to the side. Seen a bunch of guys have to go back and look for there putter.

Hey Farmer Ted, when you are referring to more than one person in a possessive tense you spell it T-H-E-I-R. Not T-H-E-R-E.

As for the putter clips, perhaps your friends weren't paying attention when they thought they had attached the putter to the clip. Let's not blame the bag on the foolishness of the golfer.

I doubt I will get the Bag Boy. For one thing I don't like the name. Second, they look stupid.

I really like a Callaway bag I saw the other day but it was $199. Ain't payin' that much.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Hey Farmer Ted, when you are referring to more than one person in a possessive tense you spell it T-H-E-I-R. Not T-H-E-R-E.

As for the putter clips, perhaps your friends weren't paying attention when they thought they had attached the putter to the clip. Let's not blame the bag on the foolishness of the golfer.

I doubt I will get the Bag Boy. For one thing I don't like the name. Second, they look stupid.

I really like a Callaway bag I saw the other day but it was $199. Ain't payin' that much.
    I wondered who would be the first to point out that error and imagine my surprise when it turned out to be you.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    I wondered who would be the first to point out that error and imagine my surprise when it turned out to be you.
    Nonsense. You had no idea that it was spelled incorrectly in the first place. Plus, why would you expect it to be me? I rarely, if ever, correct someone's spelling unless it's so blatantly horrible that it demands to be pointed out, such is the case with your post.

Carry on

Wow. I can actually provide legitimate feedback on both.

I just bought the Cally Org 14 on ebay for $115 shipped. Great looking bag with all the bells and whistles and seems to be of solid construction. I read a good bit about cart bags a couple months ago and decided on this one after reading excellent reviews.

As for the TA5s, they're great little clubs. They were my main sticks when I was shooting right handed a few years ago and were good on distance and great on forgiveness.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Wow. I can actually provide legitimate feedback on both.

I just bought the Cally Org 14 on ebay for $115 shipped. Great looking bag with all the bells and whistles and seems to be of solid construction. I read a good bit about cart bags a couple months ago and decided on this one after reading excellent reviews.

As for the TA5s, they're great little clubs. They were my main sticks when I was shooting right handed a few years ago and were good on distance and great on forgiveness.
    If they were that good, why did you need to switch to the other side?
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

2) Cleveland TA5 irons. First, let me say that I've never been a Cleveland guy. I've played the 460 launcher and some 588 wedges but that was long ago.

So, I'm in GG the other day and happened upon a set of like new TA5 irons (the version that's all silver in the cavity), 3-PW, Stiff shafts in basically new condition. Maybe they were played twice at most. Price is $105.

I go in the simulator and these irons feel fantastic and deliver amazing distance. I was hitting the 8 iron 155 and for me that's pretty long. I then tried the 5 iron and was hitting it 185. The feel of these irons is fantastic and they seem extremely easy to swing. The profile at address is a little like a Ping Eye 2 but with less offset and less pointed toe.

Anyone played the Cleveland TA5? I read some great reviews on it in the review section.
    I used to play the TA6 irons which always had one up on the TA5 irons IMO.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    If they were that good, why did you need to switch to the other side?
    No clubs were going to fix that swing. When I was able to connect the result was good.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I used to play the TA6 irons which always had one up on the TA5 irons IMO.
    Did you make it safely home to the land of hobbits?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Did you make it safely home to the land of hobbits?
    Yes safely back in Hobbitsville thanks. All a bit surreal really. A day ago we were down at San Francisco Bay watching the Blue Angels roaring over Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge and eating New England Clam chowder down at fishermans wharf washed down with a pint of Anchor Steam. Now I'm back in Middle Earth driving on the familiar left hand side of the road again. Modern air travel has made the world a much smaller place.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Yes safely back in Hobbitsville thanks. All a bit surreal really. A day ago we were down at San Francisco Bay watching the Blue Angels roaring over Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge and eating New England Clam chowder down at fishermans wharf washed down with a pint of Anchor Steam. Now I'm back in Middle Earth driving on the familiar left hand side of the road again. Modern air travel has made the world a much smaller place.
    You got lucky. It was a perfect sunny day with high white clouds around. Weather perfect.

Not so many tourists get so lucky with our weather... but Sept/Oct is basically our summer...
    It's not my fault God made me this beautiful.

1) I'm ashamed to say that I'm in the market for a cart bag. All the guys I play with seem to want to ride and it simply doesn't work for me to walk when there are 3 guys in the group using carts. I would like a bag with a putter well. I'm not sure about club dividers but I like the idea of the irons not clanking together while we ride. I saw a Bag Boy yesterday that had spinning top and sounded like the spinner on the board game named LIFE. Any recommendations?
    The bag i have has a putter well. Its lined at the top and i have started to notice that there are scuff marks appearing on the shaft of my putter, only for a couple of inches about halfway down, then again about 4 inches from the putter head. Not sure if they are from the putter sitting in the well, or getting the putter in and out. Bloody annoying, cause i don't mind irons having a worn look and bag chatter etc but for some reason i the putter has to look in pristine condition.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

You should at least look at the sun mountain c-130 if you can keep your pockets clean, which it has tons of, and live with a couple clubs less you can easily carry it. It's light, and not huge so it fits next to these stupidly huge bags some people have.
    It's also got a putter well, very attractive for a bag. It stands most of the time on a level surface. Awesome bag.

I'm still on the honeymoon with 300 forged, satiny kinda finish, buttery smooth feeling, so I haven't played the mp 62 I bought, or anything else laying around, nor am I interested in trying anything else for the first time in 10 years, and working more on course management.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    You should at least look at the sun mountain c-130 if you can keep your pockets clean, which it has tons of, and live with a couple clubs less you can easily carry it. It's light, and not huge so it fits next to these stupidly huge bags some people have.
    It's also got a putter well, very attractive for a bag. It stands most of the time on a level surface. Awesome bag.

I'm still on the honeymoon with 300 forged, satiny kinda finish, buttery smooth feeling, so I haven't played the mp 62 I bought, or anything else laying around, nor am I interested in trying anything else for the first time in 10 years, and working more on course management.
    Man, I would think it would be tough to keep the MP-62 irons at home without wanting to try them out. The Taylor 300's are a nice looking iron. Every set I've seen has had a chrome finish but one time I was in Play it Again Sports and saw a set with a satin finish. I think it may have been the coveted Miura set forged up in the great mountains of Tibet.

Thanks for the bag info. The last thing I want to be stuck with is an old bag.

I've got two of these for days when I use the cart.

http://www.3balls.com/product-produc...T-BAG-CART-BAG
    Dad, I was swimming in a rainbow with millions of babies... and they was naked... and then all of a sudden I turned into a perfect smile!

Never played Cleveland irons unless you count the 588 (53°) /691 (58°) combo which is always either in my bag or not far away from being in it.

As for cart bags, I have a few, but the Burton Signature is easily the best among mine. You won't pay for it, FD, so I doubt if I'm any help.

I just haven't posted on the golf side of the forum for a while!

Mongrel must be out ... at the shooting range.

I too will soon be spending time at the shooting range, since I was threatened by a Palestinian yesterday. If links to vintage blades suddenly become scarce here, you'll know why.

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    I too will soon be spending time at the shooting range, since I was threatened by a Palestinian yesterday. If links to vintage blades suddenly become scarce here, you'll know why.
    Not the shooting range, the golf practice field where I found both success and failure. Success with 52 and 58 degree wedges that I had bent a couple of degrees flat and failure at creating a reliable 3 wood. Flattening those wedges means softer and higher trajectories and about 15 degrees less left when I pull a full shot. I hit some 58 degree 50 yard shots that had hang times of 5 seconds.

On the ever-lasting quest for a 3 wood that I can hit reliably off a tee, yesterday's experiment was to stick a YS-6+ stiff fairwood wood shaft in a 15.5* 906F4 head and it sucked spoiled lemons. So disappointed was I that last night I tore myself away from the ALDS game in Balto. and the NFL MNF ballet in north Joisy to perform a Frankenwood operation using components from two clubs that FD was kind enough to donate to the Mongrel 503-C Charity which I personally guarantied will not funnel any money, arms, food, or any other aid in any way, shape or form to any individual or organization with ties to any Islamist or Moslem individual or organization here in the USA or anywhere else in the world. OK, so I pulled the RCH 99 Firm shaft from a Cally Big Bertha Steelhead 3 wood and grafted in with Tour Epoxy the tipped shaft from a Nicklaus 440 ML driver in regular flex that is a Fuji--probably noodle-like Vista Pro 60, proprietary for Jack's shop by Fujikura. Cut it shorter and the damn thing weighs only 312 grams which is heavier than my driver at 289 grams but 30 grams lighter than any other 3 wood currently in my inventory and it swingweights at C-6. If this one doesn't work, I'm going to have to go looking at cheap used Taylors and/or Pings.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Not the shooting range, the golf practice field where I found both success and failure. Success with 52 and 58 degree wedges that I had bent a couple of degrees flat and failure at creating a reliable 3 wood. Flattening those wedges means softer and higher trajectories and about 15 degrees less left when I pull a full shot. I hit some 58 degree 50 yard shots that had hang times of 5 seconds.

On the ever-lasting quest for a 3 wood that I can hit reliably off a tee, yesterday's experiment was to stick a YS-6+ stiff fairwood wood shaft in a 15.5* 906F4 head and it sucked spoiled lemons. So disappointed was I that last night I tore myself away from the ALDS game in Balto. and the NFL MNF ballet in north Joisy to perform a Frankenwood operation using components from two clubs that FD was kind enough to donate to the Mongrel 503-C Charity which I personally guarantied will not funnel any money, arms, food, or any other aid in any way, shape or form to any individual or organization with ties to any Islamist or Moslem individual or organization here in the USA or anywhere else in the world. OK, so I pulled the RCH 99 Firm shaft from a Cally Big Bertha Steelhead 3 wood and grafted in with Tour Epoxy the tipped shaft from a Nicklaus 440 ML driver in regular flex that is a Fuji--probably noodle-like Vista Pro 60, proprietary for Jack's shop by Fujikura. Cut it shorter and the damn thing weighs only 312 grams which is heavier than my driver at 289 grams but 30 grams lighter than any other 3 wood currently in my inventory and it swingweights at C-6. If this one doesn't work, I'm going to have to go looking at cheap used Taylors and/or Pings.
    If I had a extra r7 cgb max 3 wood for you to try, I would send it to you. I've tried near 20 and haven't found a easier or longer to hit one yet. There's one for 70 on eBay, and another that may go cheap, as it's a auction, and the clubs not mint, and missing the cover. Bid on it to win, and your 3 wood woes will be over. Make sure it has the stock reax shaft.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

As I had mentioned previously, last weekend I procured a set of Ping Eye 2+ irons with Ping Graphite stiff shafts. After playing one round with them I was hooked like a bass to a gummy lure. But, wouldn't you know it, one of my club buying contacts informed me that he has in his possession a set of mint Ping Eye 2+ red dots, 3-LW, 10 irons total with that same graphite shaft. He said they are like new and will sell them to me for $225. Now, I will be the first to admit that's not the greatest deal in the world. I might be able to flip them for $300 on the bay but you never know.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    If I had a extra r7 cgb max 3 wood for you to try, I would send it to you. I've tried near 20 and haven't found a easier or longer to hit one yet. There's one for 70 on eBay, and another that may go cheap, as it's a auction, and the clubs not mint, and missing the cover. Bid on it to win, and your 3 wood woes will be over. Make sure it has the stock reax shaft.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I've read others on other forums recommending various older model Taylors and I've seen a bunch of them in used bins but have always been turned off the the 0.350" hosel bores. But then I can always shim a 0.335" shaft in so I will look for one. Frequently when I get interested in a club, it will invariably turn up in the local Golf Galaxy used rack.

Thank you for the recommendation. I've read others on other forums recommending various older model Taylors and I've seen a bunch of them in used bins but have always been turned off the the 0.350" hosel bores. But then I can always shim a 0.335" shaft in so I will look for one. Frequently when I get interested in a club, it will invariably turn up in the local Golf Galaxy used rack.
    This is my all-time favorite 3W . I have OEM firm shaft (between R&S). U may like a different shaft but it's a wonderful 3W. I believe it's 16*
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe that naming a thread title a "two subject thread" is a major faux pas. Everyone knows that a thread is suppose to start with one topic and then be hijacked about the fifth post down and taken into a completely new, and often more entertaining, subject.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Thread Information