|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mizuno Iron Fitting System

I don't own any stock in Mizuno, and couldn't care less if anybody else buys them or not. However, I did get fitted for a set of Mizuno MP irons several months ago, and I'm very pleased with the results. I tried multiple heads, and multiple shafts, in combination. The end result has given me a set of irons which are more precise and accurate than anything I've used before. Obviously, "your results may vary." I did the fitting at a local Golfsmith, and it worked out well for me.

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/innova...fitting-system
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I am currently in San Francisco and today whilst exploring the city I 'stumbled upon' Golfsmith downtown. I had a look around the shop and they had a great range of clubs and a fitting service. I am currently bagging the MP58 with DG S300 and love them but I've never had a proper fitting and part of me thinks I should try the supposedly more forgiving JPX series. I looked at the JPX 800 but felt they were a little too chunky but I love the look of the JPX Pro series.

Would love to have a fitting over here, even at full retail clubs are about 40% cheaper here than in NZ.

Just have to persuade the other half it's a good idea.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I tried just about all of the MP line, and all of the shaft offerings. My most consistent results came with the MP53, and the plain vanilla Dynamic Golds. It does give me confidence that I have everything working in my favor, and that's worth something, too. I was considering a mixed set of MP53's in the long irons and MP63's in the short irons and PW, but the rep pointed out how little difference there was between the MP53 short irons and the MP63 short irons. The MP 53's morph from a cavity back in the longer irons to a muscle cavity in the short irons. I was amazed at how solid they feel, even with the slot cavity back in the longer clubs. They did their homework, and it shows.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

The guy i bought my jpx800 pros from has the 53's, with Nippon shafts. I had a hit of some of the short irons and thought they were great. Felt more like my 52's but more solid and forgiving. If he had wanted to keep the pro's i would have bought the 53's. The 800 pro's feel is hard to describe, they are not as soft as the 53's and they sound is a little louder off the face, but they are a bit more forgiving if you tend to thin a shot or two.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

IMO club fitting should help... but what helps the most is the psychological part of the game , i.e. "This set is built for me, so I am confident to play my best... until the next set"

No, I have not done yet, I just buy a good cheap set on eBay and adjust loft and lie to my liking

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53 View Post
    I tried just about all of the MP line, and all of the shaft offerings. My most consistent results came with the MP53, and the plain vanilla Dynamic Golds. It does give me confidence that I have everything working in my favor, and that's worth something, too. I was considering a mixed set of MP53's in the long irons and MP63's in the short irons and PW, but the rep pointed out how little difference there was between the MP53 short irons and the MP63 short irons. The MP 53's morph from a cavity back in the longer irons to a muscle cavity in the short irons. I was amazed at how solid they feel, even with the slot cavity back in the longer clubs. They did their homework, and it shows.
    A buddy of mine has the 53s with DG X100 soft stepped and I can vouch for the quality of this iron. I havent hit his short irons, but Ive hit the 3 and 4 iron quite a few times and whether or not it's coincidence, I put a great swing on it every time and absolutely pure it down the pipe. Beautiful ball flight, super soft feel, very forgiving and plenty long. The short irons look pretty nice to my eye too, much more compact than the long irons. I'm more than happy with my current irons (CG16), but if I were in the market for Mizzys the MP53 would be my first stop.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Golfsmith is a decent shop if you are looking for good deals on Snake Eyes clothing or last year's brand new clubs. I can't imagine getting a fitting there because my experience has been that the people working there no very little about golf. Of course, this could be based on the location but I've been to 5 where I experienced a similar lack of knowledge.

That being said, I too was enamored with the Mizuno MP-53 iron whilst demoing one in the simulator. Soft feel, compact head and the ever coveted GFF alure. My mind was adrift, thinking of what it would be like to experience such gratification on the course. Alas, I came back to reality, knowing full well that I'd only experience that feel a few times on the course and realzing that the majority of the shots would feel like hitting cement with a tire iron on a freezing day.

But, I'm sure they'll work for you.

I think before this goes any further, it should be pointed out that clubs really don't matter, lessons do.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    Sure a nice set correctly fitted is given. But it doesn't maketh the game.
    I'm not one to spend time practicing much. I get bored with it. On any given day I can bang an 80 out. I'm usually happy cause I hit some good shots.
    Put me on a foursome especially a 2 man best ball for something of importance, and you see me at my best. These guys pay good money to see perfect 8 irons to a couple feet. Driving I'm always the last to hit for the simple reason they know I'm gonna pound one out of the park, as long as ones in play. All you here is lets play that one, Wow it's a lot closer. I should have played in the Ryder cup last weekend and won that sh!t.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Golfsmith is a decent shop if you are looking for good deals on Snake Eyes clothing or last year's brand new clubs. I can't imagine getting a fitting there because my experience has been that the people working there no very little about golf. Of course, this could be based on the location but I've been to 5 where I experienced a similar lack of knowledge.

That being said, I too was enamored with the Mizuno MP-53 iron whilst demoing one in the simulator. Soft feel, compact head and the ever coveted GFF alure. My mind was adrift, thinking of what it would be like to experience such gratification on the course. Alas, I came back to reality, knowing full well that I'd only experience that feel a few times on the course and realzing that the majority of the shots would feel like hitting cement with a tire iron on a freezing day.

But, I'm sure they'll work for you.
    WTF are you talking about? Perfect shots will feel great and less than perfect shots will feel just like any other iron. The MP53 is a very soft, forgiving iron. Not harsh at all. Now if you were talking about Titleist blades with X100 shafts I'd agree with your assessment.

Then again we know that GFF chooses the player not the other way around. Even the worlds greatest ballstriker is not one of the chosen ones.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Perfect shots will feel great and less than perfect shots will feel just like any other iron. The MP53 is a very soft, forgiving iron. Not harsh at all. Now if you were talking about Titleist blades with X100 shafts I'd agree with your assessment.

Then again we know that GFF chooses the player not the other way around. Even the worlds greatest ballstriker is not one of the chosen ones.
    I'm sure the MP-53 are fine irons.

On another note, I received a 15% off coupon from Golfsmith. The JPX 800 irons I saw there were like new and priced at $330. After the discount they'd be $280.50 and $305 after tax. I think that would be a pretty good deal.

Now, I need some feedback on the JPX 800 irons. Who has hit them and loves them? OK, maybe love is a strong word. Who really likes them?

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    I think before this goes any further, it should be pointed out that clubs really don't matter, lessons do.
    None of that crap matters except for the form of the swing as compared to the ideal swing model. Duh?
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

On another note, I received a 15% off coupon from Golfsmith. The JPX 800 irons I saw there were like new and priced at $330. After the discount they'd be $280.50 and $305 after tax. I think that would be a pretty good deal.

Now, I need some feedback on the JPX 800 irons. Who has hit them and loves them? OK, maybe love is a strong word. Who really likes them?
    I would bet that since you seem to be able to reliably hit the
    983E in actual play that you would be better off with a more traditional smaller-headed iron like the Titleist 755. I hit the JPX 800 irons in the simulator at Golf Galaxy and felt nothing that would compel me to move the set to the turf of a range or onto a course. If you're gonna go Mizuno, gots to be grain-fed and forged over a fire made from the trunk woods of the Dwarf Ginsu Dogwood trees that grow only on the southeast slopes of Mount Fujiyama.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I would bet that since you seem to be able to reliably hit the
    983E in actual play that you would be better off with a more traditional smaller-headed iron like the Titleist 755. I hit the JPX 800 irons in the simulator at Golf Galaxy and felt nothing that would compel me to move the set to the turf of a range or onto a course. If you're gonna go Mizuno, gots to be grain-fed and forged over a fire made from the trunk woods of the Dwarf Ginsu Dogwood trees that grow only on the southeast slopes of Mount Fujiyama.
    Thanks Mongrel but now I have another question for you: As you probably remember I spotted a set of like new Titleist 710 AP2 irons at Play it again sports for, I believe, $338 but I have a $50 off coupon.

The only problem is that they are either 1/2 inch or one full inch shorter than standard. Is it fairly easy to extend irons by going to Golfsmith or GG and buying the extenders and the glue? I've seen both the metal and plastic extenders. Any help would be appreciated.

What would suck is removing the brand new Golf Pride 2010 white grips that have obviously been installed recently. Maybe I could have them blown off?

Will this screw up the swingweight or just bring it to where it should be?

some people can't help but be idiots.... i currenlty game Mizuno Pro Ms-1 3 and 5 woods, persimmons are much easier to hit than metal fairways imo

Thanks Mongrel but now I have another question for you: As you probably remember I spotted a set of like new Titleist 710 AP2 irons at Play it again sports for, I believe, $338 but I have a $50 off coupon.

The only problem is that they are either 1/2 inch or one full inch shorter than standard. Is it fairly easy to extend irons by going to Golfsmith or GG and buying the extenders and the glue? I've seen both the metal and plastic extenders. Any help would be appreciated.

What would suck is removing the brand new Golf Pride 2010 white grips that have obviously been installed recently. Maybe I could have them blown off?

OKl, I would really like to get a set of those AP 2's and here's what I'd do if I was in your shoes. First, compare the lengths of that set with the factory specs. If they are too short, you could always soft step them by pulling all the shafts and putting the PW shaft into the 9 and on down if they are 1/2" short or double soft-step them if they are 1" under. One soft step would only require you to buy one new shaft and grip. Two steps would mean two new shafts and grips.

As far as extending steel shafts, I would only use the metal extensions and yes, the swingweights would be off because the extensions will add several grams to the butt ends. Of course, if an extension adds 10 grams, you could always put a 40 gram grip on it instead of a 50 gram grip to keep the swingweight the same.

I would wait another month to see if that set is still there and it is likely because sets with shorter than spec lengths will tend to sit and wait for that good ball-striking midget or the guy of normal height with gorilla arms that hang to his knees. When they are still there a week before Thanksgiving, offer a deuce and a quarter in cash and take them home.

The only problem is that they are

Wait a minute: didn't you write an unflattering review of the AP2's about a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by 24putts View Post
    Wait a minute: didn't you write an unflattering review of the AP2's about a year ago?
    I believe that review was in regard to the original AP2, not the 710 AP2.

Re: the JPX 800's. I may have been a bit hasty in my previous reply. After posting it, I surfed around and found a video on the Mizuno website where the factory guys are gathered around none other than Luke Donald who is hitting the new JPX 800's on the range. The main Mizuno guys who are roundeyes are there as are a bunch of Japanese so it looks like the entire power structure is awaiting the Donald's pronouncement of the goodness of the new model. And Luke was certainly striping the irons and commented that he was getting nine more yards out of whatever iron he was hitting. Now I may have to look for a bargain set to try out off the turf.

Re: the JPX 800's. I may have been a bit hasty in my previous reply. After posting it, I surfed around and found a video on the Mizuno website where the factory guys are gathered around none other than Luke Donald who is hitting the new JPX 800's on the range. The main Mizuno guys who are roundeyes are there as are a bunch of Japanese so it looks like the entire power structure is awaiting the Donald's pronouncement of the goodness of the new model. And Luke was certainly striping the irons and commented that he was getting nine more yards out of whatever iron he was hitting. Now I may have to look for a bargain set to try out off the turf.
    The JPX 825 has a smaller topline, less offset and an overall smaller clubhead in the shorter irons. Very good looking and not GI looking at all. Mabye Luke should put them in the bag.

The JPX 825 has a smaller topline, less offset and an overall smaller clubhead in the shorter irons. Very good looking and not GI looking at all. Mabye Luke should put them in the bag.
    The ones he currently bags, even though they are MP's, look extremely GI shovel-like to me when I've handled them in the store. If I was going the JPX route, I would opt for the forged ones. Speaking of irons, are you still playing the Tit 755's?

The ones he currently bags, even though they are MP's, look extremely GI shovel-like to me when I've handled them in the store. If I was going the JPX route, I would opt for the forged ones. Speaking of irons, are you still playing the Tit 755's?
    No, I'm playing Callaway X-18 Pro Series with Rifle 5.5 shafts, not the project x version. It just has a little shaft band that says Rifle and the sticker is blue. I like them OK. OP said it best when he said "they leave you feeling unsatisfied". You never get an absolute pured feeling from them. However, they do feel pretty darn good for a GI iron.

For whatever reason the 755's just don't look right to me. What's really strange is that I like the Callaway X-18 Pro short irons the best. I feel like I can dial in the PW and 9 iron.

I tested the JPX 825 with Project X 5.0 graphite at GolfSmith and I really like it... but not ready to pay for the price. Well, my Cobra S2 arrived, almost brand new, Will test them at the range this Sat and will play a round with them next Sat

FD, Mizzy irons are either 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch shorter that most other brands as standard, and the set i got were shortened 1/4 inch again for my mate i bought them from. I'm about 5 foot 10 and have had no trouble with them length wise.
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
    FD, Mizzy irons are either 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch shorter that most other brands as standard, and the set i got were shortened 1/4 inch again for my mate i bought them from. I'm about 5 foot 10 and have had no trouble with them length wise.
    These people who claim I can't play this set or that shaft length, is pure BS.
    I've practiced with my kids junior set, as I hit balls to exercise my German shepherd. Most of my practice is with a mp60 demo 6 iron that sits outside against the brick in the backyard, that's at least an 1" to long.
    Keeping the same swing weight and correct lie angle throughout the set is far more important, than worrying about a 1/4 inch.
    By the way I picked up a early 1900s set of wood shafted clubs, with bag, slots on the outside to cool bag. 9 clubs with putter, mostly mashie niblick. I found a scorecard in the bag 6370 yard course from the 1930s they shot 43 46 with this set. Blows me away. Sits in my office corner.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    By the way I picked up a early 1900s set of wood shafted clubs, with bag, slots on the outside to cool bag. 9 clubs with putter, mostly mashie niblick. I found a scorecard in the bag 6370 yard course from the 1930s they shot 43 46 with this set. Blows me away. Sits in my office corner.
    That is cool. Not to mention what type of ball they would have been using.
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

That is cool. Not to mention what type of ball they would have been using.
    Came from one of 3 lake cottages they tore down around bass lake, 5 minutes away for new construction, they were like time capsules as there was very little activity after 1970 A little old lady in her 90s went through it for about 30 minutes and the rest of the contents were sold for 800 to a buddy.The 2 old sets of clubs were worth more then that each. Along with several sets from the 50s Storage wars ain't got sh!t on this deal. English pottery, jewelry stashed, appliances from the 40-50s some of it brand new in the package, furniture, it was endless the stuff some people think crap. I bet he made 30,000
    I'm thinking about finding some period balls and playing bass lake golf course with this set, maybe some knickers, proper attire for the time. What kind of scores would I shoot?

Came from one of 3 lake cottages they tore down around bass lake, 5 minutes away for new construction, they were like time capsules as there was very little activity after 1970 A little old lady in her 90s went through it for about 30 minutes and the rest of the contents were sold for 800 to a buddy.The 2 old sets of clubs were worth more then that each. Along with several sets from the 50s Storage wars ain't got sh!t on this deal. English pottery, jewelry stashed, appliances from the 40-50s some of it brand new in the package, furniture, it was endless the stuff some people think crap. I bet he made 30,000
    I'm thinking about finding some period balls and playing bass lake golf course with this set, maybe some knickers, proper attire for the time. What kind of scores would I shoot?

Since clubs don't matter we still expect you to break 80.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I really liked the demo experience I had with the 6-iron before I decided to purchase the whole set. Since then my opinion has soured since these really tend to draw the ball more than I'm used to. Of course it's probably more a function of my swing than anything. At the price you mentioned, I think you should pick them and give them a shot. Worst case if you don't like them and can flip them on ebay for at least flat.
    I keeps it real.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    I really liked the demo experience I had with the 6-iron before I decided to purchase the whole set. Since then my opinion has soured since these really tend to draw the ball more than I'm used to. Of course it's probably more a function of my swing than anything. At the price you mentioned, I think you should pick them and give them a shot. Worst case if you don't like them and can flip them on ebay for at least flat.
    Get the lies checked. Without knowing the specs, I assume that the lofts are jacked, the lengths are longer and the lies more upright than the other Mizuno irons. Too upright a lie will cause you to pull and hook.

I will go with Kiwi and say something below 80. Not sure if you have seen it, but in the video vault in secret in the dirt, elk and mike maves do just what you are thinking. They play with mashies,niblicks,cleats etc and dress for the period as well. Both manage to hit some really good shots. Worth having a look at. Think it might be on youtube as well.
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

I hit the irons and wedges. I golf in the 70s regularly. I am sure it is mostly the irons. Everyone knows that there is Mizuno, and then there are all the rest of the clubmakers.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    I hit the irons and wedges. I golf in the 70s regularly. I am sure it is mostly the irons. Everyone knows that there is Mizuno, and then there are all the rest of the clubmakers.
    I bought them but have yet to try them out. I got them for the 15% discount like I said above. They are in such pristine condition that I'm trying to sell them first for a profit. A very similar looking iron is the Cobra AMP..same shaft as the JPX...Dynalite Gold XP.

I thought that too but recently have been taking every 5 iron from every used Mizuno set in my local Golf Galaxy over to the measuring device and they all come out at 38" which is 1/4" over the factory spec for about every model. Someone on another forum posted that he thinks Mizuno's spec lengths are stated without grips which would make sense.

Thread Information