|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

shaft for swing speed

Hello,

I have a driver swing speed between 90-95. What should I be using a regular flex shaft or stiff flex? Also will the same flex shaft work in fairway woods and irons?

thanks in advance

Spanked,

I would probably recomend a regular shaft to you unless you have a swing speed over 100mph don't get a stiif get the same in your fairway woods and irons you will defietly benifet best from regular.
    Feels just like it should.

The correct shaft depends on more than just swing speed. Tempo, how smooth the swing is, how much late acceleration of the club/shaft, the weight of the shaft, and other factors all come into play. Nobody can give you more than a best guess without seeing your swing, so your best bet is a qualified clubfitter. It's particularly helpful if they have a fitting set with different lofts and shaft flexes from a particular brand in which you are interested. A teaching pro is also a good source of advice. Less dependable in my experience is the advice from employees of sporting goods or even golf shops. They tend to pigeonhole people strictly based solely on swingspeed, which may not prove ideal for an individual. If you have the option, it's an eye opener to go to a driving range with a few similar clubs with different shafts and just try options similar to what you could experience with a fitting set. Some people are surprised to find that they do better with a regular vs. a stiff shaft, or vice versa. Remember, too, that how stiff a shaft will play is not standardized across the industry. A stiff from one manufacturer may play like a regular from another, and again, vice versa.
    The tip stiffness, kickpoint, and torque are other variables that will influence how well you like and hit a particular shaft.
    I recently did a trial of different shafts for a particular driver. I hit several into a net in the shop before deciding which ones to try at the driving range. I was surprised by a few choices that seemed to feel good hitting into the net that I was unable to get any good real world results at all.
    Bottom line? Either do a lot of demos on a driving range where you can see ballflight, or get the expertise of a clubfitter or teaching pro is my advice.

Sorry I forgot to say dorkman is very correct all those factors com into it there is a guy I play with who has a slow swing around 90 mph im guessing and he is knocking the ball up beside me it depends on how good your swing is he plays a regular shaft but im sure he could hit a stiff shaft equally as good if your swing is good then you should go to a demo and recieve some professional advice.
    Feels just like it should.

I forgot to mention one bit of philosophy. All shaft selections are based on compromises between distance and accuracy. A little bit heavier or stiffer may increase distance if you are able to make better contact more consistently, but may decrease distance if you are swinging too hard to try to load the shaft and thereby aren't making good contact. Lighter, more flexible shafts have more "pop" and may enable you to get a bit more swingspeed, too, but this may come at the cost of feel and accuracy. You just have to try things yourself.........

Dorkman is spot on with his advice. Expert club fitting is well worth your time/expense. If I may extend his remarks, tip softness and bend/kick point can be particularly tricky to pick in combination with rated shaft flex in lofted fairway woods. My driver swing speed is only slightly faster than yours [apparently], and I find that some soft-tipped, low-kick or high-launch shafts, the regular flex hooks too much for me in lofted fairway woods. Since a big hook at unexpected moments is a very bad thing, I play either firm or stiff shafts in fairway woods, but regular flex in everything else. I find that a tip-soft shaft in so-called stiff flex provides the ability to get the ball off the fairway with ease but doesn't over-rotate to the left if I put a bit more juice into the swing. Confusing matters, some shafts in "stiff" could play softer than some shafts in "regular."

One further piece in my $.02 of advice: whether you use the same flex shaft in every club through your set depends not only on the degree of comparability in flex characteristics from shaft to shaft (even if you used the same "model" of shaft in all your clubs, it might be difficult to find wood and iron shafts that flexed exactly the same) but also on the similarity of your swing with each club. The simple answer, though, is that most regular-flex shafts will probably be closer to a fit to your swing speed than most stiff-flex shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    The correct shaft depends on more than just swing speed. Tempo, how smooth the swing is, how much late acceleration of the club/shaft, the weight of the shaft, and other factors all come into play. ... Remember, too, that how stiff a shaft will play is not standardized across the industry. A stiff from one manufacturer may play like a regular from another, and again, vice versa.
    The tip stiffness, kickpoint, and torque are other variables that will influence how well you like and hit a particular shaft.
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Trust the club.[/COLOR]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    [/FONT]

Thread Information