|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Best putter you've ever used

This is an easy one for me. When I was 25 years old I received a set of putters as a Christmas gift from my grandfather. The set was a Macgregor VIP Forged putter collection that came in a special collectors box with leather covers. I never used the other 3 putters because the first one I chose was so special. The one I used was the Macgregor VIP TFP 90-1. It was a short, compact blade with minimal offset and similar to the putter that Nicklaus used for the majority of his career.

I remember days where I felt like I couldn't miss with that putter. I had several rounds of 25 putts or less and shot under par many times with hit. I wish I had never sold it. Sometimes I'll go on Ebay and do a search and I'll see the whole set for sale.

It was a pretty nice present, considering the set of four putters was $500 way back then. To tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure he won them in a tournament. Either way it was a great gift.

Also, the grip that came with each putter was genuine leather and felt amazing.

Here's a photo and a link:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...er-collection/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z vip putters.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	2931  

Also, here's a cool link to some vintage irons:

http://lowscore.de/category/used/

Best putter I've ever used... I'd like to think it's the one I have in my bag right now... The Nike Method Midnight... Previously it was a Cameron 009 oil can that I had, a guy offered me a lot of money, cash on the spot on the course 2 years ago for it, so I sold it, I wasn't crazy about the finish anyway. I typically don't go through many putters though, I find one that I like, and I stick with it... Similar to the rest of my set.

The putter I used for the longest time and won the most money with was a Titleist Tour model that was an 8802 knock-off. Bought it new in the Pro Shop at the original Homestead Course down in Sam Snead country for about $85 in 1985. Solid chrome head and Neumann brown leather grip. When the grip got too worn where a bath in hot soapy water wouldn't restore the tack, I wrapped it up in medical gauze tape and it worked even better. I still have it but the face is so pitted that it knocks the ball off line. It worked great on the ultra fast private club greens I usually played but also on the slow muni greens. My putting stance with it was a carbon copy of Arnold Palmer in his best years.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

TP Mills from around 12 years ago. After that it was the plain old Newport 2. Scotty Cameron rocks.

Mallet Ram Zebra ... at least 20-yr old and it still works beautifully

The putter that has been in my bag for well over a year now. A Rife 2 bar mallet. Not the prettiest you'll ever see but far and away the best I've had.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Could be the putter that i have had for about 4 hours. Only used it for about an hour on the practice green, but early indications are that it will stay in the bag. Great feel, distance control and looks. 2012 Scotty Cameron California Sonoma. Have to say the pistolero grip is the most comfortable putter grip in the hand that i have come across. can't wait to play it in a comp. I have only had 3 putters over last 20 years and this one literally took 3-4 minutes to dial in.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

I wanna Rife IMO putter
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

SeeMore Si1.

Maybe I'm just more evolved, but I never attribute my equipment to my level of play. I can think of stretches where I felt great on the greens. Something about getting my grip and alignment just perfect. I just know I'm going to hit a great putt, and that feeling will sometimes last for weeks. Every time that happens, I think I'm always going to putt great, but inevitably I will lose the feeling.
    I putted with Anser style putters for years but believe I do better with a mallet. I like to visualize the line extending through the back of the putter head, and I can do that easier with a mallet. Also, no inserts and the back of the putter must be able to scoop a ball off the green. Anything that meets those criteria will work just fine.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Maybe I'm just more evolved, but I never attribute my equipment to my level of play. I can think of stretches where I felt great on the greens. Something about getting my grip and alignment just perfect. I just know I'm going to hit a great putt, and that feeling will sometimes last for weeks. Every time that happens, I think I'm always going to putt great, but inevitably I will lose the feeling.
    I putted with Anser style putters for years but believe I do better with a mallet. I like to visualize the line extending through the back of the putter head, and I can do that easier with a mallet. Also, no inserts and the back of the putter must be able to scoop a ball off the green. Anything that meets those criteria will work just fine.
    Do you like to visualize a flippy putting stroke?

When the greens are slow its a Rife 2bar. When fast SC futura and if I start effing up with that switch to a betty bc3.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    Do you like to visualize a flippy putting stroke?
    Some things are just natural. No visualization necessary.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Best putter EVER is.........

The Ping DOC 17. If you are playing shite at least your mates can take the p iss out of you for playing with such a ridiculous piece of tat.

Carry on
    WITB Ping K15 Driver, Nike SQ Sumo 16 deg "Thragina", Ping G15 4,5 and 6 hybrid, Callaway BB2002 7-SW, Ping Nome Putter

The "best putter" concept is a complete myth perpetuated by those who have yet to come to the realization that putting proficiency has almost nothing to do with the equipment itself. It's entirely possible to putt like absolute crap with any putter, and it's equally possible to putt lights out with any putter.

I putt best with whatever putter I'm most familiar with. Give me enough time to become familiar with a putter and it will perform optimally regardless of brand/model/design.

Most players would benefit from sticking with a putter they like for the long term, and learning to take responsibility for their lack of prowess when things go bad by learning how to stroke the ball where they're aiming, learning how to control speed and distance, and most importantly - learning how to read the putt.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Here's how much I love my Ray Cook Nugget 25: yesterday a guy in our group was running in birdie putts from all over, and I never even noticed what his putter looked like. I noticed his irons, though. Ping Zing 2. Gotta be in the running for ugliest ever. On 18, he holed a 7-iron from 160 from the rough for eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature View Post
    The "best putter" concept is a complete myth perpetuated by those who have yet to come to the realization that putting proficiency has almost nothing to do with the equipment itself. It's entirely possible to putt like absolute crap with any putter, and it's equally possible to putt lights out with any putter.

I putt best with whatever putter I'm most familiar with. Give me enough time to become familiar with a putter and it will perform optimally regardless of brand/model/design.

Most players would benefit from sticking with a putter they like for the long term, and learning to take responsibility for their lack of prowess when things go bad by learning how to stroke the ball where they're aiming, learning how to control speed and distance, and most importantly - learning how to read the putt.

FON

One of the best putters I've ever seen used a really old Wilson 8802-style blade putter with no offset. He took a jabby stroke at it and made putts from all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    One of the best putters I've ever seen used a really old Wilson 8802-style blade putter with no offset. He took a jabby stroke at it and made putts from all over the place.
    I used to use one of those for a few years when I first started playing. Loved it. I also had one of the old Bullseye brassies which I also loved. Best thing about the Bullseye was that you could putt both lefty and righty with the thing, so you could turn every putt into a hook putt.

I currently have only 3 putters that I can choose between, The very heavy Corza, which is my current favorite, a Wilson Blackjack 304 which is a moderately heavy Anser style, and the oldest which is a Fazer Tour Touch II lightweight Anser style for when my distance control is lacking. I really like all 3 and can putt lights out with any of them. I've had the Corza for 5 years, the Wilson for 12, and the Fazer for 22 years. That's the sort of familiarity that promotes confidence and consistency.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    These two statemants are contradictory.
    If you were more highly evolved in making sense your contributions may be more worthwhile.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    These two statemants are contradictory.
    If you were more highly evolved in making sense your contributions may be more worthwhile.
    No they aren't. If you are going to nitpick, at least try to be correct.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

I took up the game in 1959.

I'm still looking for the first good putter. It does not exist.

My used $24 Odyssy Rossie II putter was mediocre. Until I put its head in a vise and yanked like hell on the shaft until it bent a couple of degrees flat. And then it was better. And then I put about 35 grams of weight into the butt end of the grip. And now its real good.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Thread Information