|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Adams Launch Lab

There have been a few moments in my life of golf where I have hit a club and just been stunned, a Holy Sh*t moment so to speak... The first was when I was in college and hit my first trampoline driver, it was a Mizuno forged T-Zoid... It felt like I was hitting a super ball with a tennis racket... Next was my first pured 7 iron with my Mizuno MP-33's... Then I remember my 1st big head driver, The Biggest Big Bertha, it was huge to me at the time, then the 400cc Nike... The jump to 460 wan't that big of a deal, but I'll never forget the wind resistance I felt with that Nike, it took so much effort to square... Even today, my I20 takes considerably more effort to square than my 3 wood, it's something I have to think about. Well today I played a quick 18 with a buddy and his new driver, it's an Adam's Launch Lab, he had the same shaft as I have in my i20, and ahina 70x, loft is the same as well 9.5... Immediately the thing reminded me of my old 9064ls, I'm not sure of the size, but it seemed to me to be closer to 420cc, and it was aero... The club swings amazing, the head is hotmelted and it swings like a 3 wood if that makes any sense, it just cuts through the air... I hit a few drives with it and I was blown away, feel is solid, sound is typical of a hotmelted driver, a muted thwack, and the ball just goes, not sure about distances but my impression was that I was longer than with my i20, it felt like I was able to swing it faster, with noticeably less resistance then even my i20 which is supposed to be pretty aero... trajectory was lower than my i20 and judging by the ballflight it seemed I was carrying a touch less backspin... fairways were soggy so no reliable assessment of roll, but this thing just feels like a monster.... Apparently Adams is only releasing limited quantities of these things, I wouldn't be surprised if we see these things mass produced with white heads in the near future... A side note I checked ebay and these things are going for like 6 bills... Hopefully I'll be able to get a 380-400cc max COR aero driver in the near future, it seems like that may be a direction that Adams is heading, which would be awesome...

It's fun to test new tools once in a while, but we all know that it's Indian not arrow... I can't afford to get sucked in by technology. For those whose job is golf then that's a different story. To me, gain 5-10 yds on driver is not a good enough justification , unless it dirt cheap.

First off all the i20 is a SHAT club.
    2nd.... who the hell lets a 9064 driver out of the bag if you can hit a 300yard drive....

3rd...This is officialy the first time I have heard that someone complains about the resistance during the swing from the club head. I know for a fact that certain shafts glide through the wind quicker but Clubheads wont make that much difference.

The above wouldnt surprise me as the world tends to go forward 1 step,then 2 steps back.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "The statement below is true.
    The statement above is false"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    First off all the i20 is a SHAT club.
    2nd.... who the hell lets a 9064 driver out of the bag if you can hit a 300yard drive....

3rd...This is officialy the first time I have heard that someone complains about the resistance during the swing from the club head. I know for a fact that certain shafts glide through the wind quicker but Clubheads wont make that much difference.

The above wouldnt surprise me as the world tends to go forward 1 step,then 2 steps back.
    In regards to 2nd, someone that can drive the ball more consistently further with another club. Duh!

Fluff, Carrying ball longer with i20, wind resistance is an issue, as COR get's maxed only way to generate more ballspeed is with faster head speed, and aero designs generate less drag. The 9064 is a great club, i20 was just a little bit better, either way the launch lab was like a jacked up 9064 anyway. Only thing I can say I don't like about the i20 is that it flights high for a low launch driver and I have had a bit of trouble keeping it down, it likes to fly high, in neutral to tail/draw winds the thing just goes miles, into the wind I'm losing more distance than I probably should be... In that way the 9064 was opposite, it liked to stay down, and I had to work harder to fly it higher.

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    Fluff, Carrying ball longer with i20, wind resistance is an issue, as COR get's maxed only way to generate more ballspeed is with faster head speed, and aero designs generate less drag. The 9064 is a great club, i20 was just a little bit better, either way the launch lab was like a jacked up 9064 anyway. Only thing I can say I don't like about the i20 is that it flights high for a low launch driver and I have had a bit of trouble keeping it down, it likes to fly high, in neutral to tail/draw winds the thing just goes miles, into the wind I'm losing more distance than I probably should be... In that way the 9064 was opposite, it liked to stay down, and I had to work harder to fly it higher.
    I cant hit a Ping "i" driver to save my life. The offset faces with the sweetspot to the heel,The loft doesnt look true,I mean the 8.5 degree looks like an 12 degree. It has a dead feel to hit because its supposedly supposed to be a low spin driver. I hit my 3wood further then these drivers.

PS, Its not always the swingspeed that determines the distance.
    Each clubhead is put together differently. The launch caracteristics,the amount of weight behind/below the sweetspot,how the clubface closes on impact....To me the Ping "i" drivers are setup for a fade.I mean you are hitting the ball more towards the heel already...The weak shots should be a totally heel hit low dead not that far fade to the middle which most are happy with

Old Club still works OK...

Played a round with my colleagues on Sat morning at Pilgrim's Oak, used the 9.5* Cleveland Launcher 460cc that my Bro gave me... One hole on the back 9.... 335-yd par 4... I hit it so clean, it went so straight so I knew it would be good, when I got there I had only 70 yds to the pin.... That's an extremely rare 265-yd drive for me, most likely it landed on the downward slope and kept on rolling. Bogeyed all par 3s, shot 93 with 6 lip-outs and two 8 on par 4s... It was cloudy but no thread of rain due to Sandy.... 4th time play at Pilgrim's Oak and I realize that some greens are crowned and difficult to putt.

So, the old driver still works OK, I like it because it seems like I get a little more roll with it... It could replace my favorite Tit 905R, how could it be ??? I just can't justify buying new driver(s)
    Last edited by Pky6471; 10-29-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Played a round with my colleagues on Sat morning at Pilgrim's Oakes, used the 9.5* Cleveland Launcher 460cc that my Bro gave me... One hole on the back 9.... 335-yd par 4... I hit it so clean, it went so straight so I knew it would be good, when I got there I had only 70 yds to the pin.... That's extremely rare 265-yd drive for me, most likely it landed on the downward and kept on rolling. Bogeyed all par 3s, shot 93 with 6 lip-outs and two 8 on par 4s... It was cloudy but no thread of rain due to Sandy.... 4 times play at Pilgrim's Oak I realize that some green are crowned and difficult to putt
    So, the old driver still works OK, I like it because it seems like I get a little more roll with it
    Ha Ha. That's probably the same hole that I had 70 yards to the green for my second shot. Of course it took me six more shots to get into the hole. That will NEVER happen again (the score, not the driving distance) since I gots my lies flattened on two of my wedges. Its unbelievable how much difference two degrees on a Vokey makes.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Ha Ha. That's probably the same hole that I had 70 yards to the green for my second shot. Of course it took me six more shots to get into the hole. That will NEVER happen again (the score, not the driving distance) since I gots my lies flattened on two of my wedges. Its unbelievable how much difference two degrees on a Vokey makes.
    Mongrel... You sure remember this 18th hole, it's a fun hole if U hit them straight

I believe the "lie" angle makes a HUGE difference... All my irons are fitted to 2* upright lie,,, I took the newly acquired Cobra S2 irons out and asked my PGA professional friend at Dicks Sporting Goods to bend for me (maybe 1-2 degree upright lie) but due to the plastic insert on top of the head, he has to contact Cobra and perhaps he could send them back to Cobra to bend for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hole018.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	2927  

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Mongrel... You sure remember this 18th hole, it's a fun hole if U hit them straight

I believe the "lie" angle makes a HUGE difference... All my irons are fitted to 2* upright lie,,, I took the newly acquired Cobra S2 irons out and asked my PGA professional friend at Dicks Sporting Goods to bend for me (maybe 1-2 degree upright lie) but due to the plastic insert on top of the head, he has to contact Cobra and perhaps he could send them back to Cobra to bend for me
    Of course I remember that hole. Designed by some Eco Freak that Dweeb land owners have hired to create "environmentally friendly" golf course. First time I played it was this past June and I took a 9 hitting water on my second, and fourth shots. Played it the second time in September and used a bit of strategy to put myself in position to not repeat the first disaster. Hit a drive solidly that faded a bit into the right rough. Hit a solid 7 iron dead center in the fairway in that narrow neck with water on both sides. Had 135 to center of green with wind in the face. Now you have to understand that the group ("club") I play with has a max time limit on rounds. If your group finishes more than ten minutes behind the group ahead, each member will be assessed a one stroke penalty and, since there is money on the line, playing partners frequently rush shots on the last hole in order to not lose that precious stroke. So the old guys I'm playing with all rush ahead to finish out the hole and I left the cart with my 9 iron and as soon as I get over my ball, I realize that I would have to hit the deadest solidest perfectest 9 iron ever to clear the pond. So instead of getting my cart partner to come on back so I could grab a 7 or 8 iron, I nailed the 9 only to watch it blow back into the water. Then I hit another one in. End result was an 8. Should have been a 6 max. Next time I play that f*cking goat track, I will score much better.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Of course I remember that hole. Designed by some Eco Freak that Dweeb land owners have hired to create "environmentally friendly" golf course. First time I played it was this past June and I took a 9 hitting water on my second, and fourth shots. Played it the second time in September and used a bit of strategy to put myself in position to not repeat the first disaster. Hit a drive solidly that faded a bit into the right rough. Hit a solid 7 iron dead center in the fairway in that narrow neck with water on both sides. Had 135 to center of green with wind in the face. Now you have to understand that the group ("club") I play with has a max time limit on rounds. If your group finishes more than ten minutes behind the group ahead, each member will be assessed a one stroke penalty and, since there is money on the line, playing partners frequently rush shots on the last hole in order to not lose that precious stroke. So the old guys I'm playing with all rush ahead to finish out the hole and I left the cart with my 9 iron and as soon as I get over my ball, I realize that I would have to hit the deadest solidest perfectest 9 iron ever to clear the pond. So instead of getting my cart partner to come on back so I could grab a 7 or 8 iron, I nailed the 9 only to watch it blow back into the water. Then I hit another one in. End result was an 8. Should have been a 6 max. Next time I play that f*cking goat track, I will score much better.
    Moral to the story, carts suck.

Your clubs 10 minute rule is BS unless there is a maximum total 9/18 time accounted for as well. Under the rules you have 5 minutes to look for a lost ball. So, in your clubs rule, if you lost a ball on 18 and have to go back and hit another you are automatically assessed 3 strokes because there is no way you are going to finish in the 10 minute time frame. Also, lets say I have a buddy that is playing well in the group in front of me, I can drag my feet and get every player assessed a penalty. Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Moral to the story, carts suck.

Your clubs 10 minute rule is BS unless there is a maximum total 9/18 time accounted for as well. Under the rules you have 5 minutes to look for a lost ball. So, in your clubs rule, if you lost a ball on 18 and have to go back and hit another you are automatically assessed 3 strokes because there is no way you are going to finish in the 10 minute time frame. Also, lets say I have a buddy that is playing well in the group in front of me, I can drag my feet and get every player assessed a penalty. Stupid.
    No, carts don't suck. It was my cart partner who dashed on ahead without asking me if I needed another club. He doesn't play that much and isn't very good. I would have much preferred to have a caddie but there aren't any and I probably wouldn't afford to pay one anyway.

The time limit rules exist in our club to discourage slow play and they have a way of getting the faster players to pressure the slower guys to either speed up or go find another group of grumpy old bastards to play with. I understand and applaud it. Of course it is not enforced when the courses are backed up ahead of our groups. Our 18 hole maximum is 4 hours and 20 minutes given no backups ahead. This is certainly enough time for 4 guys with USGA handicaps to play 18 holes. By the way, the 10 minutes behind rule is almost never enforced but it gets in some guys' heads and they turn all girl-like. Usually I won't speed up at all since most of the delays are looking for someone else's ball in the spinach or gunk or cabbage or anywhere but in the fairway.

Given Adams' target demo, I would assume the launch is for a new ED drug.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

No, carts don't suck. It was my cart partner who dashed on ahead without asking me if I needed another club. He doesn't play that much and isn't very good. I would have much preferred to have a caddie but there aren't any and I probably wouldn't afford to pay one anyway.

The time limit rules exist in our club to discourage slow play and they have a way of getting the faster players to pressure the slower guys to either speed up or go find another group of grumpy old bastards to play with. I understand and applaud it. Of course it is not enforced when the courses are backed up ahead of our groups. Our 18 hole maximum is 4 hours and 20 minutes given no backups ahead. This is certainly enough time for 4 guys with USGA handicaps to play 18 holes. By the way, the 10 minutes behind rule is almost never enforced but it gets in some guys' heads and they turn all girl-like. Usually I won't speed up at all since most of the delays are looking for someone else's ball in the spinach or gunk or cabbage or anywhere but in the fairway.
    Carts, what ever you say. I'm never without any of my clubs because they are with me the entire round. Not on some cart 30 yards away.

4 hr 20 minutes is entirely enough time to play 18. Why wait until 18 to enforce someone being out of position? At any time a group can get behind for obvious and legitimate reasons. But they should also be able to catch up. If not they should be warned and the slow player(s) should incur the penalty. Sounds like a BM on your GC's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I cant hit a Ping "i" driver to save my life. The offset faces with the sweetspot to the heel,The loft doesnt look true,I mean the 8.5 degree looks like an 12 degree. It has a dead feel to hit because its supposedly supposed to be a low spin driver. I hit my 3wood further then these drivers.
    I don't find that the sweetspot is on the heel, if you don't catch it solid it does feel dead, the weight of the clubhead is a bit heavier than most on the market, it weighs about 205g, I like heavier clubheads, in fact Geek just came out with a 206g No Brainer that I'll probably build, the i20 is a fade biased driver, and it does launch higher than I would expect for a low launch/low spin driver, but when you catch one on the nuts, it just goes, tons of distance loss on mishits though and I'm getting no roll whatsoever currently do to soft ground conditions. I did hit the Anser on an indoor launch monitor and I must say it does feel more user friendly than the i20, but the numbers were similar.

Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    I don't find that the sweetspot is on the heel, if you don't catch it solid it does feel dead, the weight of the clubhead is a bit heavier than most on the market, it weighs about 205g, I like heavier clubheads, in fact Geek just came out with a 206g No Brainer that I'll probably build, the i20 is a fade biased driver, and it does launch higher than I would expect for a low launch/low spin driver, but when you catch one on the nuts, it just goes, tons of distance loss on mishits though and I'm getting no roll whatsoever currently do to soft ground conditions. I did hit the Anser on an indoor launch monitor and I must say it does feel more user friendly than the i20, but the numbers were similar.
    I owned the Ping i15 for about 2 months and it was no longer than the G15 which felt better, looked better and won me more money off my loser opponents.

So far the Titleist 983e is staying in the bag. I just love that drive. You have to be a player to make the club work. It's kind of like the movie District 19 where you need an alien arm to make the alien weapon work.

That's the way I am with this driver. Only someone with my skill and ability could ever hope to hit it like I do...straight down the middle like a bat out of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I owned the Ping i15 for about 2 months and it was no longer than the G15 which felt better, looked better and won me more money off my loser opponents.

So far the Titleist 983e is staying in the bag. I just love that drive. You have to be a player to make the club work. It's kind of like the movie District 19 where you need an alien arm to make the alien weapon work.

That's the way I am with this driver. Only someone with my skill and ability could ever hope to hit it like I do...straight down the middle like a bat out of hell.
    Anyone who can reliably hit the sweetspot of an E and elevate it should be able to hit the most unforgiving small-headed, high CG blade iron made. Why are you messing around with those G.I. irons?

Thread Information