|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

If We Choked down 3" or 6"...what would be the % distance loss?

I am sure there is no such thing as a rule of thumb, but what is the ballpark based on your experiences. I should find that out at the range. Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC

Unless your clubs are very head-heavy, choking down more than an inch or so for a full swing will likely result in a weak low shot to the right or maybe a shank. Choking down six inches for a full swing will result in the butt end hitting you in the balls.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    I am sure there is no such thing as a rule of thumb, but what is the ballpark based on your experiences. I should find that out at the range. Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC
    It kind of depends. I think someone with a 100mph ss will lose about 2mph per inch.

Some people will actually gain swing speed though. If a golfer's club is too long for them, it may cause balance issues that result in club head deceleration...basically the golfer leaks power trying to "steer" the club back into the ball. Choking down can lead to a more free and balanced swing. Anthony Kim choked down on all his clubs and didn't seem to have any distance issues.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

Come on Pky, you're a physicist you should 't have to ask. If you don't remember the formulas, have one of your lab rats crunch it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    Anthony Kim choked down on all his clubs and didn't seem to have any distance issues.
    In the interest of truth, this is a flawed argument at best, a moronic juveline attempt to make an invalid point at worst.
    Anthony Kim does indeed choke down, but he may hit the ball even longer if he did not. Now I know you are on this big Asian kick with the sleeves and want to prop up one of your own, but this is not the place to do it.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Unless your clubs are very head-heavy, choking down more than an inch or so for a full swing will likely result in a weak low shot to the right or maybe a shank. Choking down six inches for a full swing will result in the butt end hitting you in the balls.
    Same impressions here. You might be able to pull off a shot on line with your long irons or woods but not with your mid and short irons. The lie angle would BD too flat and everything would look like a push.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    Come on Pky, you're a physicist you should 't have to ask. If you don't remember the formulas, have one of your lab rats crunch it for you.
    I am impressed with your intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    In the interest of truth, this is a flawed argument at best, a moronic juveline attempt to make an invalid point at worst.
    Anthony Kim does indeed choke down, but he may hit the ball even longer if he did not. Now I know you are on this big Asian kick with the sleeves and want to prop up one of your own, but this is not the place to do it.
    I've read somewhere that it's how AK got started, so he's more comfortable with choke down... Well, we are all comfortable about our setup so we stay with it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Same impressions here. You might be able to pull off a shot on line with your long irons or woods but not with your mid and short irons. The lie angle would BD too flat and everything would look like a push.
    Its the swingweight too. Every inch less in length means about 4 SW points less. So if you grip down 3 inches on a D2 iron, that means you're hitting a C-Zero. Consider that Nickalus's irons were in the C-8 range and he played them all off his left instep. You would have to play that 3" chokedown iron off your left toe or forward of that to have a chance.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I've read somewhere that it's how AK got started, so he's more comfortable with choke down... Well, we are all comfortable about our setup so we stay with it, right?
    Many of us are never really comfortable with our setups and some of us continually f*ck with them. I'm one of those. When you get to the point where you feel like you need to choke down on every full shot in order to hit it more solidly, you may want to consider having your clubs shortened or counter-balanced. I've messed with counter-balancing drivers and may start back up with irons and fairway woods.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Many of us are never really comfortable with our setups and some of us continually f*ck with them. I'm one of those. When you get to the point where you feel like you need to choke down on every full shot in order to hit it more solidly, you may want to consider having your clubs shortened or counter-balanced. I've messed with counter-balancing drivers and may start back up with irons and fairway woods.
    In general, there are 2 scenarios that I choke down (1) my 60* wedge for shorter distance (2) ball is way above my feet.... I always have problem getting correct distance in the latter case... Other than that I don't need to choke down my clubs

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    When I'm spraying shots, which usually occurs during the first few holes without warming up, I almost always choke down a bit to find fairways, or my target.
    The funny part is I usually see no distance loss, so I may be playing clubs a little long for me.
    Also doesn't something happen with all of us, in that your swing becomes shorter, and you probably keep your left arm, for right handed golfers, a little straighter.
    It's a beautiful feeling when you can grip it at the end, and rip it.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

this doesn't surprise me. He's short and probably played with clubs that didn't fit him for so long he grooved a swing where he gripped way down on the club. Changing that now would take some considerable effort. He's obviously an exception. You also don't know if he hasn't jacked his swing weights up to account for this effective club length. He's a one off in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    this doesn't surprise me. He's short and probably played with clubs that didn't fit him for so long he grooved a swing where he gripped way down on the club. Changing that now would take some considerable effort. He's obviously an exception. You also don't know if he hasn't jacked his swing weights up to account for this effective club length. He's a one off in my opinion.
    The winning answer. He learned on hand me downs that were too long and being a feel player hasn't wanted to change things.

The only time I choke down on a club is if the ball is above my feet or I need to hit a low line drive underneath a tree.

This year I started choking up on all of my wedges from 80 yards or less from the green. It's made a big difference and has cut down on skulls and fattys.

Speaking of fattys, I believe my home course has the largest assistant greenskeeper that I've ever seen. My golfing buddy has named him "Tiny". This guy must weight 600 pounds and I'm not exaggerating. He rides one of those big mowers and I honestly don't know how he gets up on it. I will take a photo the next time I see him. Lord knows he won't be able to catch me if he doesn't like being photographed. I could probably outrun him by simply walking at a brisk pace.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The only time I choke down on a club is if the ball is above my feet or I need to hit a low line drive underneath a tree.

This year I started choking up on all of my wedges from 80 yards or less from the green. It's made a big difference and has cut down on skulls and fattys.

Speaking of fattys, I believe my home course has the largest assistant greenskeeper that I've ever seen. My golfing buddy has named him "Tiny". This guy must weight 600 pounds and I'm not exaggerating. He rides one of those big mowers and I honestly don't know how he gets up on it. I will take a photo the next time I see him. Lord knows he won't be able to catch me if he doesn't like being photographed. I could probably outrun him by simply walking at a brisk pace.
    If you watch the greens being cut and the greens mower also has rollers under it, having Tiny cut the greens may contribute a couple of points to the Stimpmeter speed. Learn Tiny's schedule on the greens mower and you will gain a competitive advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post

Yeah but can you outrun Tiny's mower?
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I certainly hope so. I don't think Tiny has too much of a social life. Whenever I've seen him up there on the motorized Toro he doesn't look like a person who's got much to look forward to, other than the next supersized meal at Mickey D's. I'm fairly certain he'd have no problem running me over and continuing on like nothing ever happened.

Tiny don't play

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Let's not forget lessons learned from the steamroller scene in A Fish Named Wanda.

Thread Information