|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Titleist 983-E Dirver

I ordered this driver and it's supposed to arrive today. Titleist 983e, 8.5 Degree, Aldila NV-65 Stiff. What spurned the purchase was a trip to GG whereby I took said club into the simulator and proceeded to pound one drive after another considerably further than the other two drivers I tested that day-a Titleist 910 D2 and a Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 Deg.

For one thing, I appreciate the simplicity of the smaller head and deep clubface. I like the rounded look and for whatever reason it gives me the feeling that I can swing more efficiently. There is something about a smaller clubhead that makes my swing feel more compact, instead of feeling like I'm swiping at the ball.

Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I ordered this driver and it's supposed to arrive today. Titleist 983e, 8.5 Degree, Aldila NV-65 Stiff. What spurned the purchase was a trip to GG whereby I took said club into the simulator and proceeded to pound one drive after another considerably further than the other two drivers I tested that day-a Titleist 910 D2 and a Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 Deg.

For one thing, I appreciate the simplicity of the smaller head and deep clubface. I like the rounded look and for whatever reason it gives me the feeling that I can swing more efficiently. There is something about a smaller clubhead that makes my swing feel more compact, instead of feeling like I'm swiping at the ball.

Should be interesting.
    We heard a lot of good thing about Tit 983e... maybe I should try one. What is the main difference between 983E and 983K?
    Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    We heard a lot of good thing about Tit 983e... maybe I should try one. What is the main difference between 983E and 983K?
    Thanks guys/girls/AC-DC
    983e: Deeper clubface, more rounded head and appears smaller at address. Less spin than the 983k and lower launching.

983K: Pear shaped, traditional looking but with a draw bias. Higher launching with more spin. It's meant for guys like OP who don't have quite the skill of an FD.

I never should have gotten rid of the Titleist 905R 8.5 that I had a few months ago. Big mistake. I'm hoping the E brings back the G's, as in Mo' Moneys!

983e: Deeper clubface, more rounded head and appears smaller at address. Less spin than the 983k and lower launching.

983K: Pear shaped, traditional looking but with a draw bias. Higher launching with more spin. It's meant for guys like OP who don't have quite the skill of an FD.

I never should have gotten rid of the Titleist 905R 8.5 that I had a few months ago. Big mistake. I'm hoping the E brings back the G's, as in Mo' Moneys!
    I already have Tit 905R, maybe I don't need another Tit... I will wait for a good cheap Ping K15 10.5* TFC R-flex

I already have Tit 905R, maybe I don't need another Tit... I will wait for a good cheap Ping K15 10.5* TFC R-flex
    The 905R is a much better club than the K-15. I see a lot of the latter club in used bins. It's way too hook faced for my taste. Nifty had a tough time with it and said that he hooked it a lot. Same thing with Edgey.

Stay with the 905R. There is nothing longer, better looking or more accurate in my opinion.

Well, PK, I guess I should have known better than to post a thread about a players club like the 983e. I guess that's a testament to the quality of player on these boards. Sigh.
    Last edited by famousdavis; 09-11-2012 at 01:02 PM.

The 905R is a much better club than the K-15. I see a lot of the latter club in used bins. It's way too hook faced for my taste. Nifty had a tough time with it and said that he hooked it a lot. Same thing with Edgey.

Stay with the 905R. There is nothing longer, better looking or more accurate in my opinion.

Well, PK, I guess I should have known better than to post a thread about a players club like the 983e. I guess that's a testament to the quality of player on these boards. Sigh.
    Yes, Tit 905R will stay in my bag for a long time... Last weekend I tried K-15 amongst others and I hit it quite well... Yes, I agree that it could be a hook machine for some, but I NEVER hook/draw a ball with ANY drivers in my life so K15 could be a good thing for me. I am pretty sure you know of the Cally FT-i squareway . I have the 5W, it looks like a hook machine at setup, but I hit that darn thing so straight it's unbelievable

Yes, Tit 905R will stay in my bag for a long time... Last weekend I tried K-15 amongst others and I hit it quite well... Yes, I agree that it could be a hook machine for some, but I NEVER hook/draw a ball with ANY drivers in my life so K15 could be a good thing for me. I am pretty sure you know of the Cally FT-i squareway . I have the 5W, it looks like a hook machine at setup, but I hit that darn thing so straight it's unbelievable
    I tried my new Callaway FT-iQ 8.5 with Fubuki last weekend and it was extremely easy to hit straight. It had a little too much spin to it and I lost some distance.

Should be interesting.
    I have one in 9.5* I bought at GG for around $19.00. I bought it for the shaft which I forget what it was but I still have the E head. I have observed others hitting this driver and saw a couple of guys hit drives that had about the same spin as a pitcher's knuckleball. I mean you could see the ball off the clubhead was not spinning at all. Some years ago when I was playing a 983K which is a pretty spinny head, I was at the range next to a guy with an E who was hitting drives with about no spin that would carry about 240 ten feet above the ground and then roll into the woods at the end of the range 300 yards away. You have to have a lot of clubhead speed and great contact to elevate this driver, especially at 8.5*, but catch it and nothing is longer. The E head is 350 c.c. and the K head is 365 c.c.'s. The low-spin successor to the 983 E is the 905S at 400 c.c. They are pretty rare and still a bit pricey even though they were only made a year or so and than the 905R came out and it was all she wrote for the S.
    Last edited by mongrel; 09-11-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add...
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I tried my new Callaway FT-iQ 8.5 with Fubuki last weekend and it was extremely easy to hit straight. It had a little too much spin to it and I lost some distance.
    U could have an almost new Cally FT-iQ for less than 100 now... I have to believe that you lost some distance because of its shaft, not from the head

Mongrel... Looks like 3ballgolf.com is dumping quite a few Tit 909 Dcomp drivers on eBay...
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/2308425...ypes&var=sbar#
    Last edited by Pky6471; 09-11-2012 at 03:14 PM.

U could have an almost new Cally FT-iQ for less than 100 now... I have to believe that you lost some distance because of its shaft, not from the head

Mongrel... Looks like 3ballgolf.com is dumping quite a few Tit 909 Dcomp drivers on eBay...
    Yes but all their DComps have the Sure-Fit hosels that are bored all the way through the head to accomodate some sort of quick shaft change insert. Demo models. The 909 heads have weight screws in the sole at the rear of the head but only Titleist has the magic tool to undo and change the weights. So on mine, I managed to put 5 grams of lead tape over that freaking screw head just to get the balance I wanted. Took lots of pressing with a small machinist ruler but its on there real good now. Funky *ssed company couldn't or wouldn't design a normal weight screw like Taylor or others. And the freaking prices they wanted for these things new?
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    The R9 has been in the bag all summer.
    That. That is like a record.
    I looked at some newer stuff yesterday. I couldnt get past the setup. Huge.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    The R9 has been in the bag all summer.
    That. That is like a record.
    I looked at some newer stuff yesterday. I couldnt get past the setup. Huge.
    My buddy hits the R9 460 very well. It's a great looking driver, especially with the stock maroon and grey shaft that comes with it. He's tried a few other but nothing works better for him. Have you seen those new stickers you can put on the crown of a driver? He's got one with a mushroom cloud on it.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    My buddy hits the R9 460 very well. It's a great looking driver, especially with the stock maroon and grey shaft that comes with it. He's tried a few other but nothing works better for him. Have you seen those new stickers you can put on the crown of a driver? He's got one with a mushroom cloud on it.
    I'm quite happy with the R9 mine is the smaller one, I think it's around 420cc. I think the head shape is not for everyone, as it's more triangular.
    I was playing at a rather upscale course, the other day that had all the newest, latest drivers in a bin for demo. So many closed faces, and so huge at address, and the pimple on a sticks need to go away.
    We had a guy in are foursome that was dragging his feet getting to the teebox. 9:00 teetime it was 8:56 and the foursome of woman behind were wanting to go. One of them comments that she can drive it 240 yards. One of are guys says he can drive it 350 so what. He can occasionally, but he sprays them all over the place. A minute later the wayward golfer shows up, and we're off. 270-280 right down the middle all day with the R9. I gave the other 3 a lesson.
    I suppose if you had a nasty skymark, a sticker could be beneficial.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

I played a 983e for about 4 months this year. Absolutely great driver. Mine had the stock fuji speeder in stiff flex and was 9.5. Launched mid height, very low spin, great roll out and distance. I had no trouble being consistent with this driver. Smaller head seemed easy to set up to the ball with and whip through impact. The sweet spot is not too small but misshits did create a big distance loss. In the end that is why it lost it's place in the bag. Really enjoying my current stick an i15 with reg aldila nv 65. IMO the "e" is right up with the best evers.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Yes but all their DComps have the Sure-Fit hosels that are bored all the way through the head to accomodate some sort of quick shaft change insert. Demo models. The 909 heads have weight screws in the sole at the rear of the head but only Titleist has the magic tool to undo and change the weights. So on mine, I managed to put 5 grams of lead tape over that freaking screw head just to get the balance I wanted. Took lots of pressing with a small machinist ruler but its on there real good now. Funky *ssed company couldn't or wouldn't design a normal weight screw like Taylor or others. And the freaking prices they wanted for these things new?
    Yes, I just notice this with ALL DComps. Most if not ALL sold on eBay has them bonded with epoxy so they are no longer adjustable. I wonder how that would impact the "response" of the club

Yes, I just notice this with ALL DComps. Most if not ALL sold on eBay has them bonded with epoxy so they are no longer adjustable. I wonder how that would impact the "response" of the club
    I have the 909 D2 that 3balls was clearing out last winter; it has the Surefit hosel that has been epoxied. After month's of trying out drivers, this one has proved to be the most consistent; fairways hit with good to great distance, low spin, less misses left (my miss). I cannot say if the glued Surefit has an effect or not, however, the "made for tit..." is a Blue Board regular and plays more firm than most regulars I have tried; maybe the the "bore through"' like configuration of the Surefit stiffens the tip slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    I have the 909 D2 that 3balls was clearing out last winter; it has the Surefit hosel that has been epoxied. After month's of trying out drivers, this one has proved to be the most consistent; fairways hit with good to great distance, low spin, less misses left (my miss). I cannot say if the glued Surefit has an effect or not, however, the "made for tit..." is a Blue Board regular and plays more firm than most regulars I have tried; maybe the the "bore through"' like configuration of the Surefit stiffens the tip slightly.
    JonT : what shaft do you have? I see a lot of them come with the Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 regular flex... I have not used that shaft so I have no idea how good/bad it is. Thanks

I bought the Callaway FT-iQ Tour 8.5 with Fubuki from 3balls for $53. I would say that it was in 9.5/10 condition with the only flaw being some very tiny paint chips on the far side of the crown but facing downward, so that I can't see them. That probably happened simply from handling. I didn't appear to have ever been hit.

Regardless, the distance just isn't there. The Cally 454 is longer for sure. You should give that one a try. It's the best feeling driver I've played. It almost feels like the COR is above the legal limit.

Mongrel, what is your opinion of the Titleist 909 D2? I tried one before with the Diamana Blue and seemed to hook it all the time. However, the other day I saw a like new one, 9.5 Deg with the Avixcore Tour Stiff Red, black/yellow shaft. I love that shaft and crushed the Ping i15 with it.

Mongrel, what is your opinion of the Titleist 909 D2? I tried one before with the Diamana Blue and seemed to hook it all the time. However, the other day I saw a like new one, 9.5 Deg with the Avixcore Tour Stiff Red, black/yellow shaft. I love that shaft and crushed the Ping i15 with it.
    I've only hit that D2 in the Golf Galaxy simulator on several occasions in several different lofts and shafts. I'm sure I could play it adequately with the right shaft for me but the Tit Diamana Blue, VooDoo and Ahaina or Ilima or Fartima shafts are not my cups of tea and that Axivcore Tour Red would be way too much for me but maybe good for you. I hit a DComp with the Project X 7.0 shaft in it there and even though this is way too stiff for me, I still hit it straight and got some elevation on it according to the machine and it felt way better than the Matrix Ozik 5 regular that lots of them came with. Go figure.

Regardless, the distance just isn't there. The Cally 454 is longer for sure. You should give that one a try. It's the best feeling driver I've played. It almost feels like the COR is above the legal limit.
    FD... I hit Cally 454 some yrs ago against my 2004 BB driver (360cc), I liked 454 but I don't think I hit it better than my 2004 BB (they had different shafts)... Now , I set my heart on Ping K15 for several reasons (1) I have not owned a Ping driver, except Ping 2 driver whose head was probably the same size as today's 3W standard size (2) it's the best amongst those drivers that I tested at Golf Galaxy last week (3) as I stated , it could be a hook machine for some... but since I NEVER hook a driver, can't draw a driver ... I hope that this K-15 driver would change my baby fades into baby draws... My Cally Ft-i Squareway 5W looks like a hook machine at setup , but that is the best club in my bag, I hit that sucker so straight and to where I want it to go

Maybe Nifty could sell his K-15 to me cheap if he's ready to part with it

Doesn't that lead tape effectively add loft to the driver?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    Doesn't that lead tape effectively add loft to the driver?
    No. The loft is the loft. However, that head supposedly was designed with more weight in the back of the head in the sole in order to increase its launch angle. Since the club had a 45 gram senior flex Bassara (Mitsu) when I got it, I assumed that the head had the two-gram weight screw factory installed. The shaft in it now weighs about 58 grams so I started to apply lead tape until at five grams, it balanced real nice for me. I installed a Winn Excel wrap weighing 42 grams so the thing would swingweight about D4.5 at 44.5" and 288 grams overall weight. With my slow swing speed, I can't hit it that high at all but it does go relatively straight and yesterday I was hitting a few power fades which I haven't been able to do in years. I played with the Titleist Solo 2012 addition which seemed to spin a bit more off driver than the Srixons allowing the fade. I was also able to put cut on some iron shots which again I attribute to the ball. The bad thing is that the bloody ball would not stop very well on the greens but they were real hard anyway.

JonT : what shaft do you have? I see a lot of them come with the Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 regular flex... I have not used that shaft so I have no idea how good/bad it is. Thanks
    It is a Diamana Blue Board made for Titleist, 63 grams, mid flight. It wasn't my favorite starting out, but after spending some time with it I know what to expect, and have been pretty consistent with the D2. I don't have any experience with the X Con 5.

Played the Titleist 983-E, 8.5 w/ Aldila NV-65 Stiff 2 days ago. I hit 12 out of 14 fairways and was every bit as long on solid hits. Mishits were not as long as other drivers but I felt so much more confident with the smaller head. The feel is better than the larger head drivers. A couple of my drives were the longest I had hit on that course. I shot 76, mainly because I was always in play. I actually missed several easy birdie putts. Probably the most workable driver I've tried. I was so confident with this driver that I hit it on short par 4s where I normally hit hybrid or iron off the tee. For $19 it's staying in the bag.

I was so confident with this driver that I hit it on short par 4s where I normally hit hybrid or iron off the tee. For $19 it's staying in the bag.
    I agree... there are a lot of good used drivers out the. The fun is to search for the correct one for our swing... Yes, I also like smaller head (360-400 cc)

Agree with this 100%. I have been striping my 905R lately. I was starting to worry that Ive lost distance due to hitting mid 40s but of late my fears have been allayed. I fixed my swing that had got a little too steep and a touch OTT, and BAM! I'm hitting distances from my 30s again. I've been hitting mine well past 250 metres on decent drives and have hit a couple of 275 metre (300 yard) drives on flat fairways with no wind. My only slight concern is the tendency to balloon the ball into the wind if I put a bad swing on it, but even allowing for that if I put a good swing on it the ball will cut through the wind like a knife through butter. I was toying with the idea of swapping the YS7+ out for a Graf Blue stiff to get a bit flatter trajectory, but after the last few weeks I'm leaving it alone. IMHO the 905R is the best driver ever made.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    Agree with this 100%. I have been striping my 905R lately. I was starting to worry that Ive lost distance due to hitting mid 40s but of late my fears have been allayed. I fixed my swing that had got a little too steep and a touch OTT, and BAM! I'm hitting distances from my 30s again. I've been hitting mine well past 250 metres on decent drives and have hit a couple of 275 metre (300 yard) drives on flat fairways with no wind. My only slight concern is the tendency to balloon the ball into the wind if I put a bad swing on it, but even allowing for that if I put a good swing on it the ball will cut through the wind like a knife through butter. I was toying with the idea of swapping the YS7+ out for a Graf Blue stiff to get a bit flatter trajectory, but after the last few weeks I'm leaving it alone. IMHO the 905R is the best driver ever made.
    Well, the numbers don't lie. I have now played four rounds with the Titleist 983e 8.5 driver with Alidila NV-65 Stiff and I have shot 75, 76,76 & 75. My handicap is probably going to drop a full 2 index points over the next 4 weeks.

It's odd, because I wouldn't say that I hit this driver great distances or even right on the sweet spot every time. However, the one thing I do avoid with it is the big miss. With the 983e I am almost always in the fairway or in the light rough. I am NEVER in the trees, OB or in a hazard with this driver.

The coolest thing, though, is that when I hit it on the screws (so to speak) it goes a country mile. At my home course, on 15 & 18 I hit two of the longest drives I've ever hit on those holes.

My irrational tendency to think that modern technology is better is constantly tugging at me to give up this $19.95 983e driver that is almost 8 years old. My game is asking me to keep it in the bag.

Was just in the local golf shop and decided to see what second hand drivers they had. To cut a long story short, I am the proud owner of a minty 905S 8.5 with a Graf Blue stiff. I hit quite a few drivers but only two stood out, the 905S and an 8.5 J33R with a VS Proto 65 XStiff in it. Both felt way better than any of the newer drivers they had, but the Graf Blue Stiff just got the chocolates for the Titty. FWIW, the launch monitor numbers were mid 2 to 3k spin, about 12.5 to 16.5 launch angle, and 255 - 270 yards. It's probably right on my limit of how much club I should be able handle, but for some reason I found it reasonably forgiving if feel and launch numbers are anything to go by. It's also much more workable than the 905R so whatever I lose in forgiveness (if anything) I should make up for in control. The real proof will be on the course, but I have a god feeling about this driver. I'm playing on Tuesday at new course and will take it out cold, but I've had a Titty 975JVS with a graf Blue Stiff in it so I won't be totally blind when I get to the course.

What I can't understand is why clubs like this are even available for sale. It's in good nick with no sky marks and was probably owned by a decent player. I honestly doubt that he would have been able to put a combo together that would have been better than this (I know the 905S was an all time favourite with tour staff), why wouldn't you keep it as a back up. I got it for $80, so the numpty who traded it would have lost over $500 on what he paid for it new (with that upgraded shaft this would have sold for about $600 new). I know this club won't be going anywhere away from my house. Even it were too much club for me, the shaft alone is worth more than what I paid for the whole club.
    Last edited by Not a hacker; 10-06-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Well, the numbers don't lie. I have now played four rounds with the Titleist 983e 8.5 driver with Alidila NV-65 Stiff and I have shot 75, 76,76 & 75. My handicap is probably going to drop a full 2 index points over the next 4 weeks.

It's odd, because I wouldn't say that I hit this driver great distances or even right on the sweet spot every time. However, the one thing I do avoid with it is the big miss. With the 983e I am almost always in the fairway or in the light rough. I am NEVER in the trees, OB or in a hazard with this driver.

The coolest thing, though, is that when I hit it on the screws (so to speak) it goes a country mile. At my home course, on 15 & 18 I hit two of the longest drives I've ever hit on those holes.

My irrational tendency to think that modern technology is better is constantly tugging at me to give up this $19.95 983e driver that is almost 8 years old. My game is asking me to keep it in the bag.
    I hope I have the same results with my new 905S. The 905S is more a players driver like the 983E, although I think the S has a slightly bigger head at 400cc. I recall the S being very popular with tour staff. It will probably be not quite as forgiving as the 905R, but I think I will hit some of the best drives of my life with this thing.

I hope I have the same results with my new 905S. The 905S is more a players driver like the 983E, although I think the S has a slightly bigger head at 400cc. I recall the S being very popular with tour staff. It will probably be not quite as forgiving as the 905R, but I think I will hit some of the best drives of my life with this thing.
    The 905S and 983E are two of the best looking drivers I've seen. The 905S is larger and has a little more of a pear shape to it and is appears to be slightly more closed than the 983e. I'm sure you'll like it.

The 905S and 983E are two of the best looking drivers I've seen. The 905S is larger and has a little more of a pear shape to it and is appears to be slightly more closed than the 983e. I'm sure you'll like it.
    The 905T had a slightly closed face. The S face sits square like the E. The S and E share the same higher CG's and shorter face-to-rear architecture which provides lower launches with a lot less spin. If you can reliably hit the E, you would be in heaven with an S with the right shaft.

The 905T had a slightly closed face. The S face sits square like the E. The S and E share the same higher CG's and shorter face-to-rear architecture which provides lower launches with a lot less spin. If you can reliably hit the E, you would be in heaven with an S with the right shaft.
    I put a 983e and 905s side by side and there is no question that the 905s appears to be more closed. Technically speaking, measurement-wise it may not be more closed but it certainly appears that way visually.

I shot another 76 on Sunday using the 983e. I actually didn't hit it that well overall but did flush a couple that felt better than any driver I'd ever hit since my Cleveland Persimmon RC-69 Crenshaw.

My misses, though, were still playable. I just wasn't swinging that great. On another note the Ping Eye 2s are back in the bag. I'm playing a graphite set. Black graphite shafts with the white Pingman sticker but no indication of flex or what brand of shaft. I believe it to be either a grafalloy or G. Loomis. They feel great and I'm getting a little more distance.

Took the S out for a hit today. I played a 6900 yard championship links style course. Very wide open fairways so perfect place to try the new donger. My first few hits were 275 metre screamers right down the pipe. The distance was good, but it was mainly because of the hard fast fairways. I was hitting it ok, but not getting much height or carry distance, just heaps of roll. As the day progressed I hit it a bit better and got a better launch. Compared to my 905R, I would say the S is lower launching, not as forgiving, but for some reason it's easier to keep in play. I didn't get any banana balls that fly high off to the right. My mishits didn't feel great, but generally stayed straight and rolled out plenty. I am now thinkiing of swapping the shafts over in the drivers. I think the Graf Blue stiff would be a perfect fit in the 905R and would get the spin down a little lower, and conversely the S in 8.5 feels like it could benefit from a slightly higher launching shaft. My only dilemna is that I would probably end up with 2 drivers that did pretty much the same thing instead of having a contrast like now. I will take the S out one more time on the weekend at my home course to be certain. Hopefully I will be driving it onger and straighter and won't want to change anything, but either way I can't really lose.

Took the S out for a hit today. I played a 6900 yard championship links style course. Very wide open fairways so perfect place to try the new donger. My first few hits were 275 metre screamers right down the pipe. The distance was good, but it was mainly because of the hard fast fairways. I was hitting it ok, but not getting much height or carry distance, just heaps of roll. As the day progressed I hit it a bit better and got a better launch. Compared to my 905R, I would say the S is lower launching, not as forgiving, but for some reason it's easier to keep in play. I didn't get any banana balls that fly high off to the right. My mishits didn't feel great, but generally stayed straight and rolled out plenty. I am now thinkiing of swapping the shafts over in the drivers. I think the Graf Blue stiff would be a perfect fit in the 905R and would get the spin down a little lower, and conversely the S in 8.5 feels like it could benefit from a slightly higher launching shaft. My only dilemna is that I would probably end up with 2 drivers that did pretty much the same thing instead of having a contrast like now. I will take the S out one more time on the weekend at my home course to be certain. Hopefully I will be driving it onger and straighter and won't want to change anything, but either way I can't really lose.
    Back in 2005 I demo'd a 905T 8.5 with Grafalloy Blue Stiff and it was too much shaft for me. It's a pretty stout shaft that is very unforgiving. I think you'd do much better with the YS-7+. Interestingly enough, there is a PIAS close to where I work that has a Titleist 905S with Graphite Design YS-7+ Stiff in 9.5 Degrees. The thing is like new and they are selling it for $59. I'm tempted but I already have the 983E.

Played horrible golf yesterday. However, the course was practically empty so I used a few of the holes to test the 983e against a Taylormade Supertri 8.5. On solid hits they were neck and neck but the 983e feels better and is more accurate. Stay tuned.

Back in 2005 I demo'd a 905T 8.5 with Grafalloy Blue Stiff and it was too much shaft for me. It's a pretty stout shaft that is very unforgiving. I think you'd do much better with the YS-7+. Interestingly enough, there is a PIAS close to where I work that has a Titleist 905S with Graphite Design YS-7+ Stiff in 9.5 Degrees. The thing is like new and they are selling it for $59. I'm tempted but I already have the 983E.
    I think you should jump all over that club. I took the 905 S out yesterday and had mixed results. It's a combo that really likes to be loaded, so you basically have to go all out on every swing. For wild guys who swing out of their shoes it would be a good combo as it is much more accurate and stable under stress than the so called forgiving drivers most snake oil salesmen try to sell wild choppers. But I'm thinkig for me the low launch/low spin head, low launch stout shaft and low loft combo might be too much for me. I'm thining of going with plan B and swapping my shafts around. I think the Graf Blue Stiff would work much better in the higher launching, higher lofted, more forgiving 905R, and the higher lauching, higher spinning, more forgiving YS7+ would wrk beter in the 8.5 905S. As luck would have it, I've got my eye on a 905T 10.5 with a GD Pershing 65 Stiff in it. There are a few days to go but if it goes for a decent price I will own the full set of 905 drivers in the various lofts. If I get that club I will se how it performs with the Pershing, and hold back on swapping the shafts on the other two. In reality the YS7+ does go good in the 905R, and if I get the 905T i the 10.5 it might be the one for the Graf Blue. The Pershing has similar specs to the YS7+ so would be a good fit for the 905S. The long term plan isto do some experimenting with different shaft/head combos, and settle on the 2 best (one for windy and one for calm) and sell the other one on ebay. Should be a lot of fun doing the research.

I think you should jump all over that club. I took the 905 S out yesterday and had mixed results. It's a combo that really likes to be loaded, so you basically have to go all out on every swing. For wild guys who swing out of their shoes it would be a good combo as it is much more accurate and stable under stress than the so called forgiving drivers most snake oil salesmen try to sell wild choppers. But I'm thinkig for me the low launch/low spin head, low launch stout shaft and low loft combo might be too much for me. I'm thining of going with plan B and swapping my shafts around. I think the Graf Blue Stiff would work much better in the higher launching, higher lofted, more forgiving 905R, and the higher lauching, higher spinning, more forgiving YS7+ would wrk beter in the 8.5 905S. As luck would have it, I've got my eye on a 905T 10.5 with a GD Pershing 65 Stiff in it. There are a few days to go but if it goes for a decent price I will own the full set of 905 drivers in the various lofts. If I get that club I will se how it performs with the Pershing, and hold back on swapping the shafts on the other two. In reality the YS7+ does go good in the 905R, and if I get the 905T i the 10.5 it might be the one for the Graf Blue. The Pershing has similar specs to the YS7+ so would be a good fit for the 905S. The long term plan isto do some experimenting with different shaft/head combos, and settle on the 2 best (one for windy and one for calm) and sell the other one on ebay. Should be a lot of fun doing the research.
    I played with a 10.5* 905T for several years and it kept me in play pretty much all the time with a YS-6+ regular shaft. Then I got my first 905R in 9.5* with a stiff YS-6 and then went back to the T which I reshafted with a bunch of different shafts. Then I got an
    8.5*T with a stiff shaft that was too much for me to load. I ended up putting a Maltby MPF regular shaft in it. One of those sold by Golfworks that used to be a partner with Golf Galaxy. Two winters ago I was playing around with counter-weighting and took that driver into the Golf Galaxy on a quiet Sunday afternoon and hit about 50 balls in one of their hitting stations after I figured out how to boot up the launch monitor computer and read the results. This was before the store went all hard-arsed and made you pay for the information. I got that club up to 101+ MPH with a ball speed of over 150 and a smash factor over 1.5 which is theoretically impossible. My best carries were in the 255 yard range which was damn good for a 63 year old. I never took that driver with the counterweight that provided the best performance out to the course and ended up pulling the shaft to put into another driver head. I still have the 8.5 T head sitting on my desk awaiting another shaft. If you can find an 8.5* T head, you might have success with it.

Update: Whilst on my way to yesterday evening's Halloween party I checked my Tag Heuer and noticed that I'd be unfashionably early if were to keep at my current pace. In an effort to maintain my status as a gentleman who understands the various nuances of social etiquette, I took the long route that just happens to run alongside my favorite golf store, Golf Galaxy.

I sauntered in and gave a hearty "happy Halloween" to the usual sales lads who know better to ask me if I need help. It's a mutual understanding that I'm more schooled in golf club ho'ing.

Upon observing the lot of used drivers, I noticed several new additions since my previous visit the prior week. I took the following to the simulator for a test run:

Titleist 907 D2 8.5 with a poorly installed Aldila NV-65 S.

Titleist 983-E 9.5 with Aldila NV-65 S

Ping G20 9.5 with Tour D graphite Stiff

Titleist 909 D-Comp with ProLaunch Blue/Grey Stiff

After stretching my lean physique and asking the hack using the simulator to make himself scarce, I began my quest to determine the winner of the evening.

Ping G20 - Feel was supurb, flight was high, but swinging it felt swatty.

909 D-Comp-Visually it's annoying with it being a tad oblong. Feel is OK, shaft no good.

Titleist 907 D2 - Visually it's a beautiful driver with fine lines. The best looking of the lot. A little soft at impact and distance was no different than the rest.

Titleist 983-E - Best looking and feeling of them all. Easier to swing and distance was exactly the same as the rest, even on mishits.

After finishing, I told the poor chopper standing to the side, with his mouth agape in awe of my swing, that he could carry on with his slashing. I said a fond farewell to the minimum wage chaps minding the store and was on my way to the party.

It was a blast of a time.

Thread Information