|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Just voted

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    24

    Just voted

    Like a good American, I sold my vote to the highest bidder outside of my polling place. I must say, I am very disturbed by the state of my polling location. Everything is paper. Very unorganized, not very private (manilla file folders stood up on an open table). I don't know they are going to get an accurate number in any amount of time. I didn't vote in the last mid term, but figured there would be improvements from 4 years ago.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New England... yeah whatever.
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    Like a good American, I sold my vote to the highest bidder outside of my polling place. I must say, I am very disturbed by the state of my polling location. Everything is paper. Very unorganized, not very private (manilla file folders stood up on an open table). I don't know they are going to get an accurate number in any amount of time. I didn't vote in the last mid term, but figured there would be improvements from 4 years ago.
    I was in a new town a few years back and registered to vote. I clearly marked independent on the form, and my registration came back in the mail as a registered Democrat.

    I've had complete confidence in my Board of Elections ever since.
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    16
    Yeah HB all paper here too.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kildare...hip,_Minnesota

    Can't afford one of those modern gadgets here.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    magnolia
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    16
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CPS View Post
    I was in a new town a few years back and registered to vote. I clearly marked independent on the form, and my registration came back in the mail as a registered Democrat.

    I've had complete confidence in my Board of Elections ever since.
    We're paper but we're also mail in ballots, so it makes sense.

    There's a case here in Oregon where a elections volunteer was filling in her choice for you if you didn't vote for a candidate. http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-2...elections.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    15
    I just found out there's a polling station in a rec center next to my house. I don't even have to get in the car. But I think the tang will be a lot better in town so that's where I'm headed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    16
    I just voted too. My polling place was well organized. Show your card, get your paper ballot. Fill in the bubble for the candidate you want or bubble in the "write in" option and then fill in the blank. Next you feed the ballot into a metal counting bin that counts and sorts the votes. I noticed there was a locked door labelled write-in retrieval.

    There was an exit poll and I peaked at the results and noticed nearly half of the votes were for Obama. I would have sworn it would have been 80+% Romney. They weren't collecting any 3rd party or write in data.

    Paper ballots are a good thing, but there are no foolproof ways of stopping voter fraud. Some machines can be rigged to flip votes during the counting process, and votes can also be altered during the reporting process.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    26
    The paper system sounds pretty similar to ours. Let me say that the world is watching with great interest. It's all over our media. If I was an American voter I would definitely be voting for Romney. I was wavering and undecided but last night on TV they showed Chuck Norris and his wife imploring Americans to stop this slide towards socialism and something about saving America for your children, God and the next 1,000 years. That's good enough for me. Romney it is! Or at least would be if I was an American voter.
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    16
    I thought I'd add that voter turnout seems very high in my county. Not surprising with the amount of political media spending in this region.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by The Purist View Post
    I thought I'd add that voter turnout seems very high in my county. Not surprising with the amount of political media spending in this region.
    Wow, what a turnout! In all the previous presidential election year elections, my precincts were a quick in and out no more than 10 minutes at the most back in 2008. Not this time. It was an hour at the local elementary school and one of the guys in line was telling a friend that he came when it opened at 7 AM and the wait was two hours so he came back two hours later and it was down to an hour. My precinct is about 40/60 white to black and located on the fringes of down-and-out black slums. Our neighborhood is one of the first ones that blacks who are able to get out go to seek housing and almost everybody works or is retired. The most bizarre thing about this election is the absolute absence of yard signs even on the local level.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Wow, what a turnout! In all the previous presidential election year elections, my precincts were a quick in and out no more than 10 minutes at the most back in 2008. Not this time. It was an hour at the local elementary school and one of the guys in line was telling a friend that he came when it opened at 7 AM and the wait was two hours so he came back two hours later and it was down to an hour. My precinct is about 40/60 white to black and located on the fringes of down-and-out black slums. Our neighborhood is one of the first ones that blacks who are able to get out go to seek housing and almost everybody works or is retired. The most bizarre thing about this election is the absolute absence of yard signs even on the local level.

    I don't know why you guys just don't vote early. That's what I always do. Of course, I'm more patriotic than most.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The easiest
    Posts
    6,334
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I don't know why you guys just don't vote early. That's what I always do. Of course, I'm more patriotic than most.
    Early voting is for the Young. Many of you do not remember when you had to vote on Election Day. This is not counting the ability to vote by Absentee Ballot. My wife and I made sure to flee the country for the 2000 election. We voted early by Absentee Ballot. We were afloat in the Caribbean Sea when the deed was decided. Except it wasn't decided that night. It was decided by the greatest war of the 21st century, the Battle of the Lawyers led by the greatest of them all, James Baker.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

  13. #13
    I was hung over when I early voted last Sunday. When filling out the scantron sheet I had a college flashback and just answered "C" for every question. I guess that means I voted for Gary Johnson.
    Maxfli Fire- Driver-LW
    Putter- Scotty Cameron limited edition Studio Select Newport

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Home-slicer View Post
    I was hung over when I early voted last Sunday. When filling out the scantron sheet I had a college flashback and just answered "C" for every question. I guess that means I voted for Gary Johnson.
    I'm in a tiny precinct which usually draws few voters but the place was packed today. We have electronic voting with paper backup you're supposed to look at to confirm. Instructions are in 9 languages which of course is to make it look like we don't pander to Latinos.

    I literally stood in the voting machine trying to decide between Romney and Obama. O'bama's name was at the top, Romney's in the middle so based on that I think O'bama will win.

    It was complete bedlam in the parking lot, I almost got run over by two Beemers, an Escalade and a Mercedes, all with women at the controls.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    21
    So, are the reporters going to be bold enough to declare a winner before midnight? Or are they going to be shell shocked from the latest elections?

    Phuck it, I going by redbox to get a movie, crawl into my cave and wait until morning to find out who won. At least I hope there will be a clear winner by that time and all of this non-sense done for a few years.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    I'm in a tiny precinct which usually draws few voters but the place was packed today. We have electronic voting with paper backup you're supposed to look at to confirm. Instructions are in 9 languages which of course is to make it look like we don't pander to Latinos.

    I literally stood in the voting machine trying to decide between Romney and Obama. O'bama's name was at the top, Romney's in the middle so based on that I think O'bama will win.

    It was complete bedlam in the parking lot, I almost got run over by two Beemers, an Escalade and a Mercedes, all with women at the controls.
    Interesting. Romney's name was on top of my ballot. So who did you pull the trigger on?
    I keeps it real.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    So, are the reporters going to be bold enough to declare a winner before midnight? Or are they going to be shell shocked from the latest elections?

    Phuck it, I going by redbox to get a movie, crawl into my cave and wait until morning to find out who won. At least I hope there will be a clear winner by that time and all of this non-sense done for a few years.
    CNN already declared O'bama the winner. Fox already declared Romney the winner. I guess it now goes to the Supreme Court.

    Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Interesting. Romney's name was on top of my ballot. So who did you pull the trigger on?
    For all I know the order is random and changes with each voter. I'll ask a few others around here.

    I was going to flip a coin but after almost getting run over by a fleet of luxury cars I voted for Obama. I think Romney is more qualified particularly with what we face but with him you get the rest of the Repub machine. Obama on the other hand has hopefully done about as much damage as he can do. If he focuses on education as he says he could make some contributions although I'm prepared to be wrong.

    And you?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    Interesting. Romney's name was on top of my ballot. So who did you pull the trigger on?
    Romney top, Obama bottom for my ballot.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    I was going to flip a coin but after almost getting run over by a fleet of luxury cars I voted for Obama. I think Romney is more qualified particularly with what we face but with him you get the rest of the Repub machine. Obama on the other hand has hopefully done about as much damage as he can do. If he focuses on education as he says he could make some contributions although I'm prepared to be wrong.

    And you?
    The same. I was going to write-in Paul, but it's too friggin close here in Florida. I'd be sick to my stomach if I had to see robot-man lead our country for four years.

    I'm watching the election on Fox News. So far they're behaving somewhat professionally. I imagine that all changes once Ohio is announced for Obama.
    I keeps it real.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    31
    I guess I'll be the first person on GR to have admittedly voted for Romney. There really was no choice in my mind, having made my decision months ago. I don't see how anyone could vote for Obama but that's what makes this country great. Everyone has their ideal of the way things should be. My ideals, of course, are the most righteous.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I guess I'll be the first person on GR to have admittedly voted for Romney. There really was no choice in my mind, having made my decision months ago. I don't see how anyone could vote for Obama but that's what makes this country great. Everyone has their ideal of the way things should be. My ideals, of course, are the most righteous.
    I spoke too soon. Oreilly already eluding to hurricane sandy as a reason why Romney will lose. Finished it up with, "50% of the people want stuff". Apparently he missed the memo that blue states subsidize red states.
    I keeps it real.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    The same. I was going to write-in Paul, but it's too friggin close here in Florida. I'd be sick to my stomach if I had to see robot-man lead our country for four years.

    I'm watching the election on Fox News. So far they're behaving somewhat professionally. I imagine that all changes once Ohio is announced for Obama.
    I'm sitting in a bar in Newport Beach, the staunchest of Republican places, for entertainment value and because the tang is really good here. After announcing I voted for Obama a bunch of space was created around me but the drinks got stronger. I might even get comped.

    I'm no idiot, I know who pours the drinks.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Badlands Golf Club Las Vegas
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    I spoke too soon. Oreilly already eluding to hurricane sandy as a reason why Romney will lose. Finished it up with, "50% of the people want stuff". Apparently he missed the memo that blue states subsidize red states.
    Yeah, I saw that too, that guy got his start as a reporter in my hometown of Scranton PA, he is very biased but sometimes entertaining, Hannity is just a repub shill that I can't stand... I watch all the different news channels but comparatively fox isn't all that bad, MSNBC is a joke, and CNN is just boring as hell... at least fox is somewhat humerous without the angry sarcastic overtones... O'Reilly does have a point though, the American demographic is changing, whether it's because you think people want free stuff, or that their value system is different is a personal call, but in all honesty the hurricane certainly didn't hurt Obama and most definitely killed Romney's momentum, not saying that it's a deciding factor but it is/was an issue. As far as your blue states subsidize red states... that's more complicated than you make it seem... yes blue states pay more taxes but the reason isn't as simple as democrats are more successful and better at governing... States don't pay federal tax, individuals do, and among other things most of the "subsidizing" comes from a few highly populated blue states... At any rate, not looking for an argument, I think something everyone can agree on is that the way money is spent by our gvt., regardless of who's majority is in office is laughable and I for one feel that so many things that are issues really shouldn't be

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Badlands Golf Club Las Vegas
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    16
    Fox just called Ohio for Obama... with only 69% reporting and a 1% difference in votes... Really?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Spyglass
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    I'm sitting in a bar in Newport Beach, the staunchest of Republican places, for entertainment value and because the tang is really good here. After announcing I voted for Obama a bunch of space was created around me but the drinks got stronger. I might even get comped.

    I'm no idiot, I know who pours the drinks.
    I just got back from the gym. After some weights I went to the treadmill and watched both CNN and some other channel that I couldn't make out the network due to my eyesight getting worse. While on the treadmill I looked around and realized that the majority of the people in there probably voted for Obama.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    I just got back from the gym. After some weights I went to the treadmill and watched both CNN and some other channel that I couldn't make out the network due to my eyesight getting worse. While on the treadmill I looked around and realized that the majority of the people in there probably voted for Obama.
    Given the age profile in a So. Cal. gym, unless it's NB or downtown LJ, I would say so. Well, their man won. So did mine. Then why don't I feel like I won?

    I have a gf who worked for the Romney campaign, is pissed at me and won't be coming over tonight. I'm the first person I know who's been tangibly affected by the election result.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    Given the age profile in a So. Cal. gym, unless it's NB or downtown LJ, I would say so. Well, their man won. So did mine. Then why don't I feel like I won?

    I have a gf who worked for the Romney campaign, is pissed at me and won't be coming over tonight. I'm the first person I know who's been tangibly affected by the election result.
    It's a surprise to me that Colorado and Washington are going to pass recreational marijuana law before California. Wtf CA?

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    It's a surprise to me that Colorado and Washington are going to pass recreational marijuana law before California. Wtf CA?

    On the surface it seems hard to believe. But It actually makes sense if you look at the overall dynamics of pot supply here. Most metros in CA already allow the operation of pot dispensaries. Typically there's a local approval ordinance. It's illegal under Federal law and while Fed trumps State they've so far elected not to pick a fight. Incidentally, CO and WA now face the same conundrum.

    CA pot smokers are able to access supply from dispensaries with ease and at reasonable cost (and amazing quality I might add). So there's no political force to change anything. Even on the activist fringe the attitude seems to be don't rock the boat.

    You can be certain of one thing. With the deadlock that exists there will be absolutely no Federal enforcement in the foreseeable future. Colorado and Washington can still go either way in the next election and in the foreseeable future. Politicians know this better than us.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    On the surface it seems hard to believe. But It actually makes sense if you look at the overall dynamics of pot supply here. Most metros in CA already allow the operation of pot dispensaries. Typically there's a local approval ordinance. It's illegal under Federal law and while Fed trumps State they've so far elected not to pick a fight. Incidentally, CO and WA now face the same conundrum.

    CA pot smokers are able to access supply from dispensaries with ease and at reasonable cost (and amazing quality I might add). So there's no political force to change anything. Even on the activist fringe the attitude seems to be don't rock the boat.

    You can be certain of one thing. With the deadlock that exists there will be absolutely no Federal enforcement in the foreseeable future. Colorado and Washington can still go either w
    ay in the next election and in the foreseeable future. Politicians know this better than us.
    I'm not up to speed on all of the issues. OR also has medical marijuana use and the recreational use initiative was projected to go down in flames. It doesn't surprise me. The growers and distributors have a lot to lose under the prposed law in OR.

    Still, CA used to be the leader in these social issues. Wtf?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    St. Andrews
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    I'm not up to speed on all of the issues. OR also has medical marijuana use and the recreational use initiative was projected to go down in flames. It doesn't surprise me. The growers and distributors have a lot to lose under the prposed law in OR.

    Still, CA used to be the leader in these social issues. Wtf?
    Do they look at it as a social issue up there? Here they just want to smoke it.

    Wait, I remember now. Back when they were trying to get the clinics approved they addressed it like it was a social issue. Believe me, that isn't really it.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a German View Post
    Then why don't I feel like I won?
    It's your frontrunner mentality. Yes, you always get to win but the wins are hollow.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    3,479
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by hubijerk View Post
    As far as your blue states subsidize red states... that's more complicated than you make it seem... yes blue states pay more taxes but the reason isn't as simple as democrats are more successful and better at governing... States don't pay federal tax, individuals do, and among other things most of the "subsidizing" comes from a few highly populated blue states...
    That's probably right and my statement is too broad. Still, the fact is that many states who vote Republican and supposedly hate "socialism" are the ones that are net recipients of federal funding.
    I keeps it real.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Livin' the dream at the SPCC
    Posts
    8,510
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by buddha33 View Post
    That's probably right and my statement is too broad. Still, the fact is that many states who vote Republican and supposedly hate "socialism" are the ones that are net recipients of federal funding.
    It's true, but if the Federal Govt. was smaller and states had more responsibility, there wouldn't be as much subsidizing. The blue states would get to keep more of their cash and the poor red states would have to correct.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

    *Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New England... yeah whatever.
    Posts
    649
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    It's true, but if the Federal Govt. was smaller and states had more responsibility, there wouldn't be as much subsidizing. The blue states would get to keep more of their cash and the poor red states would have to correct.
    You guys get it. Why can this kind of dialogue ever make it the national campaigns?
    Titleist 909D2 9.5, Motore F1 (s)
    Callaway Diablo Edge 3W, E370 (s)
    Ping i5 2-PW, CS Lite (s)
    Callaway X-Tour 54,60
    Ping G5i B60

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Masters
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by CPS View Post
    You guys get it. Why can't this kind of dialogue ever make it to the national campaigns?
    Most of the people on this site are better informed than the people I come in contact with on a daily basis. Hopefully the numbers of those who get it will continue to grow.
    The views expressed by The Purist do not necessarily represent the views of The Purist. Any posts by the Purist should not be relied upon for truth or accuracy, and should be viewed at your own risk.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wentworth-by-the-Sea
    Posts
    3,224
    Rep Power
    16
    I love Massachusetts politics!

    I voted for me, for the real Nifty, for our dad, and for my uncle in the hospital. And Barak didn't need any of those votes.


    Thank you, Liz Warren, for winning Teddy's seat back for the good guys.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •