|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pseudo Vintage Driver

My Bro gave me this exact club, 9.5* head with R-flex gold made-by-Fuji 55-g shaft, I really like it . I hit it as well as my 10.5* tit 905R driver, even sometime with basically the same trajectory but I can tell that I get more roll with this club. Tit is out of my bag now
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have the exact same model in 10.5°. In the past year it has been displaced by the Nickent 4DX but might give it another go in the bag this week. An oldie but a goodie.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I have a old r7 tp 425 that's like an old friend. It's always welcome in the bag. I also have the 4dx evolver cyg with a Fuji xstiff that's the only shaft that stiff I can swing with ease. Great club. I also have the driver jt uses a srixon ztx with some kind of diamana stiff. If that's the shaft he uses in that driver. He got a hell of a swing, it seems it to much shaft for me. I love the head though, gorgeous. May have to reshaft it. I really like the r9 I'm bagging at the moment. Nice easy swings produce some very straight drives, right we're you aim.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    I have the exact same model in 10.5°. In the past year it has been displaced by the Nickent 4DX but might give it another go in the bag this week. An oldie but a goodie.
    Kiwi... what shaft on your club?

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    I have a old r7 tp 425 that's like an old friend. It's always welcome in the bag. I also have the 4dx evolver cyg with a Fuji xstiff that's the only shaft that stiff I can swing with ease. Great club. I also have the driver jt uses a srixon ztx with some kind of diamana stiff. If that's the shaft he uses in that driver. He got a hell of a swing, it seems it to much shaft for me. I love the head though, gorgeous. May have to reshaft it. I really like the r9 I'm bagging at the moment. Nice easy swings produce some very straight drives, right we're you aim.
    For those who just start out (with money) and buy new technology then I could understand that, it was me yrs ago... but we all know that there are still a lot of good old driver out there... the challenge is finding the driver/shaft that match our swing

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471 View Post
    Kiwi... what shaft on your club?
    The same shaft as yours. The regular flex Fujikara Gold 55gm.

Now where the f#ck am I?

My Bro gave me this exact club, 9.5* head with R-flex gold made-by-Fuji 55-g shaft, I really like it . I hit it as well as my 10.5* tit 905R driver, even sometime with basically the same trajectory but I can tell that I get more roll with this club. Tit is out of my bag now
    all i see is a red x pky....what driver is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    all i see is a red x pky....what driver is it?
    Do U see this pic?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cleveland 460.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	2935  

Do U see this pic?
    Nope, still don't see it.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

The Launcher 460 is a great driver. It was my first 460cc driver and it was distinctly longer than my Ping ISI Tec. I think it had more to do with the right shaft & head combination than with size. I still think it's one of the best looking drivers out there, right behind the 905R.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Do U see this pic?
    Nope, I sure cant!

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    The Launcher 460 is a great driver. It was my first 460cc driver and it was distinctly longer than my Ping ISI Tec. I think it had more to do with the right shaft & head combination than with size. I still think it's one of the best looking drivers out there, right behind the 905R.
    I can see it and I'm using Firefox. Sometimes if I'm using Firefox when I actually download the image onto GR, other people can't seem to see it. However, when I used IE whilst downloading, everyone can usually see it.

Well, I went to the annual "20% off everything in the store" at my most favorite golf store in the whole world-Golf Mart and I picked up some goodies. It was cool because every single thing was 20% off except Cameron putters and new Titleist stuff.

New Nike golf hat

Titleist NXT Tour-S Yellow balls (gotsta' have the yellow for the winter ya know)

Peanut M&M's. Normally .99 and I got them for .79.

Diet Coke 20 ounce.

2 putter grips.

Lynx putter for $7.99. It's a pure blade and must be from the 80's or something. I was making every single putt with it. It's got this little slot in the sole very similar to what Adams and now Taylormade have done with irons. I could not miss with this thing so I grabbed it. Because of the slot, it makes a little pinging noise. SWEEEET!

Cleveland CG Gold Irons, 5-PW irons with action lite stiff steel and then 3&4 hybrids with graphite stiff. These irons are the bee's knees yo'. Minimal offset, nice looking at address, great shaft and these babies were as close to brand spankin' new as you can get without saying they brand spankin' new. You know!

BTW-traded in the X-22 Tour irons. Didn't work on the course. I didn't like the feel at all.

Took the CG Gold to the range, truth be told. These are akin to putting Parque Margarine on toast. I can't believe they ain't butter. Or, in this case forged.

These babies rock the casbah. I feel like Pat Benetar like I just hit it with my best shot. Anyway, for real, these clubs are the shizzle and I ain't lyin. Plus, can't complain when I paid $129 for them after the discount.

Out.
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

I can see it and I'm using Firefox. Sometimes if I'm using Firefox when I actually download the image onto GR, other people can't seem to see it. However, when I used IE whilst downloading, everyone can usually see it.

Well, I went to the annual "20% off everything in the store" at my most favorite golf store in the whole world-Golf Mart and I picked up some goodies. It was cool because every single thing was 20% off except Cameron putters and new Titleist stuff.

New Nike golf hat

Titleist NXT Tour-S Yellow balls (gotsta' have the yellow for the winter ya know)

Peanut M&M's. Normally .99 and I got them for .79.

Diet Coke 20 ounce.

2 putter grips.

Lynx putter for $7.99. It's a pure blade and must be from the 80's or something. I was making every single putt with it. It's got this little slot in the sole very similar to what Adams and now Taylormade have done with irons. I could not miss with this thing so I grabbed it. Because of the slot, it makes a little pinging noise. SWEEEET!

Cleveland CG Gold Irons, 5-PW irons with action lite stiff steel and then 3&4 hybrids with graphite stiff. These irons are the bee's knees yo'. Minimal offset, nice looking at address, great shaft and these babies were as close to brand spankin' new as you can get without saying they brand spankin' new. You know!

BTW-traded in the X-22 Tour irons. Didn't work on the course. I didn't like the feel at all.

Took the CG Gold to the range, truth be told. These are akin to putting Parque Margarine on toast. I can't believe they ain't butter. Or, in this case forged.

These babies rock the casbah. I feel like Pat Benetar like I just hit it with my best shot. Anyway, for real, these clubs are the shizzle and I ain't lyin. Plus, can't complain when I paid $129 for them after the discount.

Out.
    I was out doing some moonlight real estate work this weekend and had to stop into some stores since I am now on a Wedge Ho Mission having determined that decent wedge play is the key to improving my scores. So I bagged a Mizuno MP Series 54* with factory graphite stiff regular shaft for $16 at Play It Again on Saturday and yesterday stopped into the new Golfsmith Store in the middle of the afternoon. This was well before the local NFL team's game and I figured there would be people in there shopping. Well, I was only one of three customers. They've priced some of their used iron sets really cheap but most of the drivers, fairway woods and wedges are still sky high. After about 20 minutes of searching, I found a Mizuno MP-T 60* with
    8* bounce in the black nickel finish. It was in barely-used condition and $24.95. Since I had no 60, needless to say I walked out with it. What's funny is that every other used wedge there was way over priced. Like beat to crap Vokey's for $89 and ragged out Cleveland 588's for $79. Taylor RAC's for $80.
    Last edited by mongrel; 11-19-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: forgets...
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I was out doing some moonlight real estate work this weekend and had to stop into some stores since I am now on a Wedge Ho Mission having determined that decent wedge play is the key to improving my scores. So I bagged a Mizuno MP Series 54* with factory graphite stiff regular shaft for $16 at Play It Again on Saturday and yesterday stopped into the new Golfsmith Store in the middle of the afternoon. This was well before the local NFL team's game and I figured there would be people in there shopping. Well, I was only one of three customers. They've priced some of their used iron sets really cheap but most of the drivers, fairway woods and wedges are still sky high. After about 20 minutes of searching, I found a Mizuno MP-T 60* with
    8* bounce in the black nickel finish. It was in barely-used condition and $24.95. Since I had no 60, needless to say I walked out with it. What's funny is that every other used wedge there was way over priced. Like beat to crap Vokey's for $89 and ragged out Cleveland 588's for $79. Taylor RAC's for $80.
    Mongrel, you and I share a similar disdain for Golfsmith and their ridiculous method of pricing used golf gear. Here are some examples of heavily used irons sets and the prices at Golfsmith:

Mizuno MP-30: $379

Callaway X-18: $399

Original Titleist AP1: $450

I could go on and on. They are at a minimum twice as expensive as the Golf Mart I go to. Mizuno MP-30 irons should be priced no higher than $150.

But, like you, sometimes I see something that makes no sense. For example, I went to Golfsmith the other day and they had a barely used Mizuno JPX 800 9.5 Driver with stock everything for $59.97. If it didn't feel so horrible I might have just bought it for the heck of it. I mean, in the same bin they had a Callaway 454 10 degree driver for $79. It just doesn't make sense.

Mongrel, you and I share a similar disdain for Golfsmith and their ridiculous method of pricing used golf gear. Here are some examples of heavily used irons sets and the prices at Golfsmith:

Mizuno MP-30: $379

Callaway X-18: $399

Original Titleist AP1: $450

I could go on and on. They are at a minimum twice as expensive as the Golf Mart I go to. Mizuno MP-30 irons should be priced no higher than $150.

But, like you, sometimes I see something that makes no sense. For example, I went to Golfsmith the other day and they had a barely used Mizuno JPX 800 9.5 Driver with stock everything for $59.97. If it didn't feel so horrible I might have just bought it for the heck of it. I mean, in the same bin they had a Callaway 454 10 degree driver for $79. It just doesn't make sense.
    Ironically, at my local Golfsmith yesterday were two sets of MP 30's. A set with badly dinged heads but faces with no ostensible wear for $89. Another set with much better heads for $129. A pristine set of MX 20's (4-PW) with the original TT Dynalite Gold shafts for $79. And a beat-to-sh*t partial set (5-PW) of MX 25's for $334.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

Ironically, at my local Golfsmith yesterday were two sets of MP 30's. A set with badly dinged heads but faces with no ostensible wear for $89. Another set with much better heads for $129. A pristine set of MX 20's (4-PW) with the original TT Dynalite Gold shafts for $79. And a beat-to-sh*t partial set (5-PW) of MX 25's for $334.
    The Golfsmith in your area has better prices.

I've decided to give up on every playing forged irons. For one thing, if the iron is game improvement, such as the Mizuno MX-300, I find that I don't like the feel. In fact, I like the feel of the standard Mizuno JPX 800 iron much better than the forged JPX 800 Pro version.

As far as the Mizuno MP blades and MP cavity backs, I just can't get along with them on the course. On the range they feel great but I simply can't get a good feel for them whilst playing.

I guess I'm a rare breed in that I'm an accomplished player (usually 3 to 5 index) who plays better with GI cast irons; usually a low offset version or "tour series" model. For example, I really like the Callaway X-18 pro series and the Cleveland CG Golds that I recently picked up.

I've decided to give up on every playing forged irons. For one thing, if the iron is game improvement, such as the Mizuno MX-300, I find that I don't like the feel. In fact, I like the feel of the standard Mizuno JPX 800 iron much better than the forged JPX 800 Pro version.

As far as the Mizuno MP blades and MP cavity backs, I just can't get along with them on the course. On the range they feel great but I simply can't get a good feel for them whilst playing.

I guess I'm a rare breed in that I'm an accomplished player (usually 3 to 5 index) who plays better with GI cast irons; usually a low offset version or "tour series" model. For example, I really like the Callaway X-18 pro series and the Cleveland CG Golds that I recently picked up.
    My wife recently bought a set (4-GW) of 2008 Cobra FP's off Ebay for my Christmas gift. Of course I've managed to a a few of them at a time to go hit on one of my practice fields. They have the Aldila Proto "By You" 70 gram regular flex graphite shafts. My first impression is that they have more feel than my MX 20's, 23's and MP 14's. They have jacked lofts but are a bit shorter than my MX 20's but they do not dig into the turf nearly as much as the Mizuno's and the shots are more consisent in distance and direction than the forged irons. I think it may be a function of the sole design since, in my opinion, the iron's soul is its sole. Although I've not played these yet, the shorter irons, especially the gap wedge, seems to put a great amount of spin on the ball. In fact that 49.5* gap wedge may eliminate my need for the 52* Vokey. How Lay Lou Yah.

My wife recently bought a set (4-GW) of 2008 Cobra FP's off Ebay for my Christmas gift. Of course I've managed to a a few of them at a time to go hit on one of my practice fields. They have the Aldila Proto "By You" 70 gram regular flex graphite shafts. My first impression is that they have more feel than my MX 20's, 23's and MP 14's. They have jacked lofts but are a bit shorter than my MX 20's but they do not dig into the turf nearly as much as the Mizuno's and the shots are more consisent in distance and direction than the forged irons. I think it may be a function of the sole design since, in my opinion, the iron's soul is its sole. Although I've not played these yet, the shorter irons, especially the gap wedge, seems to put a great amount of spin on the ball. In fact that 49.5* gap wedge may eliminate my need for the 52* Vokey. How Lay Lou Yah.
    Mongrel, you ever hit the Callaway Bobby Jones irons. This woman on craigslist is selling 3-PW & SW for $30 including a bag a bunch of other clubs. I swing a lot like Bobby Jones so I may hit them quite well.

Thoughts?

Mongrel, you ever hit the Callaway Bobby Jones irons. This woman on craigslist is selling 3-PW & SW for $30 including a bag a bunch of other clubs. I swing a lot like Bobby Jones so I may hit them quite well.

Thoughts?
    Not that I can recall. However, for thirty small how can you go wrong? Unless you have to drive to San Ysidro on a late Friday afternoon. I don't see many used Callaway irons for sale here back east. Maybe because they are so expensive new. Just be sure that the termites did not get into the shafts.

Not that I can recall. However, for thirty small how can you go wrong? Unless you have to drive to San Ysidro on a late Friday afternoon. I don't see many used Callaway irons for sale here back east. Maybe because they are so expensive new. Just be sure that the termites did not get into the shafts.
    She just came by my work and I bought the whole bag. They have the original grips, shafts, etc. and look great. Most of them have those stupid looking plastic head covers on them. They came in the original Sun mountain kickstand back with little black golf balls on the ends of each leg. Also included is a Northwestern persimmon driver, some kind of Spaulding sure out chipper and a few other things. Her trunk looked like a pawn shop.

She also had a set of Spaulding forged irons but they didn't look like anything special.

Thanks for reminding me what a great driver this is Pky . Took it out last night and was nailing it down the middle all night. Still has the sweetest feel of any driver I've hit. It's staying in the bag for the time being.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Thanks for reminding me what a great driver this is Pky . Took it out last night and was nailing it down the middle all night. Still has the sweetest feel of any driver I've hit. It's staying in the bag for the time being.
    Kiwi... just like a good old lover, can't walk away from it. Glad that you did not put it on eBay, right? I came across this driver by accident, I tend to hit high with EVERY club , last Sept while playing a round with my Bro I told him that I love my Tit 905R but I am looking for a 9* or 9.5* head Tit 905R to bring its trajectory down, he said that his Launcher is either 9* or 9.5* and he sent it to me, LOVE this club, trajectory is more penetrating and I get more roll out of it for sure... Well, he loves my 10.5* TEE driver so I gave it to him 2 yrs ago, now we are even
    Enjoy yours

My wife recently bought a set (4-GW) of 2008 Cobra FP's off Ebay for my Christmas gift. .
    Great set of iron with great reviews, look similar to my old Cally 2002 BB - but thinner sole - which I still have. I don't know the specs of Cobra FP but I would guess similar to the S2 model which I like a lot. I tend to hit high so stronger loft of S2 helps with distance for old age... even with stronger loft I still get plenty of height

Great set of iron with great reviews, look similar to my old Cally 2002 BB - but thinner sole - which I still have. I don't know the specs of Cobra FP but I would guess similar to the S2 model which I like a lot. I tend to hit high so stronger loft of S2 helps with distance for old age... even with stronger loft I still get plenty of height
    I looked hard at the S2's but that plastic at the top of the face put me off. The FP's have less offset than my MX 20's and 23's down to the 5 iron and so far I seem to be getting a good bit more spin off the short irons than from any of my Mizuno's. Maybe because they are almost new. I especially like the Cobra gap wedge and think it may become my 60-95 yard club.

I looked hard at the S2's but that plastic at the top of the face put me off. The FP's have less offset than my MX 20's and 23's down to the 5 iron and so far I seem to be getting a good bit more spin off the short irons than from any of my Mizuno's. Maybe because they are almost new. I especially like the Cobra gap wedge and think it may become my 60-95 yard club.
    after I bought the S2 set from eBay, I sold the new 4i and GW S2 for $70, so I paid less than $100 for the almost new 5i-PW set. I am used to the 50* Lajolla Knife wedge so I do not need the S2 GW. Now I also have the 60* LaJolla Knife wedge for 50-55 yds range, great great club for $10

I never care for the Golfsmith in Wilmington DE which has opened for a few months now, prices on used equipment is terrible compared to Golf Galaxy... I don't bother going to Golfsmith anymore

I never care for the Golfsmith in Wilmington DE which has opened for a few months now, prices on used equipment is terrible compared to Golf Galaxy... I don't bother going to Golfsmith anymore
    I've started going to the local Golfsmith only because the local Golf Galaxy has reduced the size of the used club racks by 80% and there's almost nothing there anymore and what there is is either nothing I'm interested in or bastard step children that have been there since July. I was looking for used wedges last weekend and the Golf Galaxy only had three of them and they were priced at almost new. Six months ago there would have been thirty or more of them. I think the retail golf industry must be sucking wind and some of the weak retail locations are going to go dark. I don't see much new gear coming out of that Golf Galaxy either. I ended up buying two Mizuno wedges last weekend. One at the only surviving Play it Again Sports. A 54* Mizuno MP Series chrome with factory Accel Arc stiff regular graphite shaft. Club in really nice condition and I bargained it down to $16. Sunday I got a Mizuno MP-R 60* black nickel wedge at Golfsmith in very good condition for $24.95. It took me about 15 minutes looking through their used wedges to find this one and it was the only one under $70. I mean beat up Vokeys for $89.95? Ragged out Cleveland 588's for $75? Eat me.

Thread Information