|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Is a 400cc driver better than a 460cc?

I'm now in possession of the best driver (Titleist 983e 8.5 with Aldila NV-65 Stiff) I've ever hit during my golfing career. I now have enough rounds under my belt that I can compare it in terms of distance, accuracy, forgiveness and feel to other drivers.

What's interesting is that it's approximately the same length as today's drivers, with the exception of the RBZ and other drivers that are 46 inches. Yet, it's much easier to swing. I don't know why but the 460cc drivers are more difficult for me to swing.

In terms of feel, it's perfect.

Distance, the same if not longer than any other driver I've tried.

Accuracy, hands down easier to control and more workable.

Forgiveness. Of course it's not going to be as forgiving on off center hits than a 460 but therein lies the misconception. The fact is, I don't mishit it as much as a 460.

So much is said about testing on off center hits yet we don't look at what causes a ball to be hit off center in the first place. That's probably why a lot of players hit their 3 wood almost as far as their driver.

Anyone else use a driver that's less than 460?
    There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don’t.

Titleist 983K, 11.5°, 365cc---when I carry driver. It's pretty long.

Yes I've enjoyed the 983e. Mine is 9.5 with the stock fuji speeder in stiff. Very good better players driver. It would still be in the bag except for one reason. Miss hits, even relatively minor one loose too much distance. On good strikes they are easily as long as any modern driver.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Anyone else use a driver that's less than 460?
    I have 2 Cally GBB II drivers , 12* Sr flex and 11* R-flex, system 60 OEM shaft, still pound them very well. I think they are 360cc. I am enjoying the Launcher 460 cc at present

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I've only liked one 460 driver. I lose the center hits on a big headed driver.
    My favorites are all around 400cc
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

If you can reliably play the 983E, you're riding the Dragon and staying up. 350 c.c. head with a sweetspot about as big as Petaluma on a map of the World. Very high center of gravity and about the lowest spin driver I've ever seen that needs high clubhead speed and optimal angle of attack to make it work. Now the 983K at 365 c.c.'s is its much easier to hit sister and I've played a couple of those and hit some bombs. I still have two of those heads in 9.5* and the nicer one may find a new shaft in it to try next season. The next model Tit was the 905T at 400 c.c.'s and I really like those also. A bit easier to hit straight than the smaller heads but a bit shorter than the K on dead solid perfect strikes. For rounds where score is king, I don't see myself de-bagging a 460 c.c. driver. The 909 D Comp in the bag is the absolute most reliable driver I've ever had. Not the longest but the straightest and I can still pump out something in the 255-265 range when the stars align. Not bad for a 65 year old whose daily exercise routine consists of making a pot of black coffee first thing then drinking a coule of cups, smoking a few cigs, walking the dog four city blocks, and lounging on the chair watching the tube. I'm looking for another D Comp head and a better shaft to try around 45.5" instead of the current 44.5" to see if there aren't a few more yards out there.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

I play an r7 420 and even at my level (which is horrible) don't understand the need for an even larger head.
    I keeps it real.

about 90% of distance and accuracy is hitting the ball on the sweet spot of the driver, any driver. But most amateurs swing so hard that they lose form and of course nearly miss the ball, much less hitting it on the sweet spot. The sweet spot of most drivers is near the top, which means the clubhead should be brushing the grass as it makes contact.

I suggest lessons, save the money you would spend on a new driver. A golfer with a good swing and a persimmon driver could hit it further and straighter than most amateurs.

Larry

Chambers Bay is my favourite (it is not my location)
    Who makes the best reuben sandwich?
    TaylorMade r7 9.5°
    TM 200 Steel 3-wood
    TM 3 Hybrid
    Titleist AP2 w/Project X shafts 3-PW
    Cleveland 52°, Titleist Vokey 56° & 60°
    Tommy Armour Model 6 putter.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    Who makes the best reuben sandwich?
    Reuben of course. Duh!

Thread Information