|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

The Stolen Round of golf...

Yesterday I am driving back from Thanksgiving weekend in a driving rainstorm. It has rained off and on for the past week or so. I have been confined with my in-laws for three days, listening to women gossip while the rains come down. All of them smoke except my wife and I. I feel like a man let out of prison.

At about 1:00, the sun came out while I was entering the area from the north on the interstate. Bright sunshine with roads absolutely covered in sheets of water.

My cell goes off and a close friend says, "lets go play...."

We talk about the fact that it gets totally dark at 5:00 and we will play as many holes as we can (knowing the whole time - we want to get in an entire round in about three hours). I drive home frantically, unload the car, slam my bag in the car and drive to the course, arriving at 1:54. I go straight to the first tee, take two practice swings and strike one right down the center...

There are three of us in two carts and nobody is on the course. The sun is out and we are in late fall with some color still in the trees...

Played 18 holes in two hours and 25 minutes, fashioning an 83 with 1 birdie....Finished with half hour of sunlight left.

Kind of made me feel like we had stolen a round....one of life's great experiences - the last second, unexpected pleasure of a game...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    Yesterday I am driving back from Thanksgiving weekend in a driving rainstorm. It has rained off and on for the past week or so. I have been confined with my in-laws for three days, listening to women gossip while the rains come down. All of them smoke except my wife and I. I feel like a man let out of prison.

At about 1:00, the sun came out while I was entering the area from the north on the interstate. Bright sunshine with roads absolutely covered in sheets of water.

My cell goes off and a close friend says, "lets go play...."

We talk about the fact that it gets totally dark at 5:00 and we will play as many holes as we can (knowing the whole time - we want to get in an entire round in about three hours). I drive home frantically, unload the car, slam my bag in the car and drive to the course, arriving at 1:54. I go straight to the first tee, take two practice swings and strike one right down the center...

There are three of us in two carts and nobody is on the course. The sun is out and we are in late fall with some color still in the trees...

Played 18 holes in two hours and 25 minutes, fashioning an 83 with 1 birdie....Finished with half hour of sunlight left.

Kind of made me feel like we had stolen a round....one of life's great experiences - the last second, unexpected pleasure of a game...
    there's nothing quite like that un-expected quickie!! enjoy it when you can, 'cause it doesn't hapen too often.

Good lord, man. 18 holes in 145 minutes? That's a quick clip. You shot pretty well for such a hurried round. Glad to hear you got out there.
    I keeps it real.

I had too rush to get my 9 in by walking. I arrived at the course around 3:15 and it gets dark around 5:15. I didn;t get too warm up, putt, or chip. i went to the tee box took a couple prac. swings and took a whack at it and put it about 290 yards down the fariway. Next shot i took a PW in and 2 putted for par. Next hole to a 9 iron to a 160yd par 3 and two putted for par. Next hole I took another drive around 290 and took a 60* to a tigh pin and 2 putted for par. and it was like that the whole round. I 2 putted every hole,hit 9 greens in regulation, and hit 5 out of 7 fairways and finished at even par.

I know two putting every hole is kind of sad, but i wasn't hitting pin close shots. I was putting for a 15ft+ birdie every time. But even par is fine with me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Those type of days are the best. Being able to go out with golfing buddies and be the only ones on the course. Then being able to go at your own pace (quick is the only way), you can't beat that. Bravo you lucked out, I wish the snow would melt here just long enough for me to go and at least hit some balls. And to shoot an 83 while playing in 2hr 25min, hats off to you Bravo.

sounds like you had a great time.... unfortunately for me, around this time of year i can never play solid golf so playing in 145 minutes would definately be a challenge

I've had a couple of late weekday afternoon "only person on the course" rounds completed in remarkably little time, without particularly trying to race for a record. With an electric cart, I've completed a round in 2 hours 10 minutes (by myself, nobody in front of me, just hit and drive), and 2 hours 35 minutes walking with a push cart (Sun Mountain). I usually play better when I'm playing fast. There's no time to sit and brood about the next shot (take 13 practice swings while waiting for the people in front to clear, etc.)

To me the greatest thing about the day was getting to play golf when it was not on radar at all. One hour after getting the call in the car - I am on the course..

Serendipity....

Playing by myself with no traffic infront and a golf cart i can get around in about 1hour 45mins

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo35223
    To me the greatest thing about the day was getting to play golf when it was not on radar at all. One hour after getting the call in the car - I am on the course..

Serendipity....
    Couldn't agree more. I love the days when I get a call at the office and we all cut out early for round before dark.

It was suppose to rain here again Sunday, ( 8" in 10 days) but it turned out to be a great day. Warm enough for shorts. Got to play 27 holes.

i shot 48 with just an 8 iron walking, for 9 holes, in 25 minutes. Putting is a little tricky with an 8 iron, 17 putts for 9 holes, blah. Fun round though. Neal

Thread Information