|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

Favorite Pop tarts

Mine is unfrosted cherry. When I can't find cherry, strawberry will do in a pinch.
    I can't stand Cinnamon brown sugar with frosting.
    I also notice when I buy unfrosted versions they last much longer.
    I also like just a smidge of real butter melted. A frozen double shot glass, of skim milk, I'm good to go till lunch.

Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Pop Tarts taste great but they are one of those breakfast items that don't satisfy my hunger. In fact, anything I eat that is sweet tends to make my hungry a couple hours later. Donuts, pastries or Pop Tarts tend to make my jittery about two hours after consumption. Lately my breakfast diet has been limited to Raisin Bran, Cheerios or this crappy cereal I bought at Costco that taste like cardboard. Quaker squares or something. I go to Starbucks a couple times a week and have a bagel and cream cheese and Venti Pike Place coffee with cream. I take Zocor so I don't have to worry about Cholesterol. It runs high in my family and no matter how well I eat it stays high. I lost about 16 pounds since June 2013. I now weigh 152 pounds and work out with weights but the cholesterol is still high. Now that I'm taking cholesterol lowering meds at night it's coming down drastically. Haven't experienced any side effects, knock on wood.

My favorite breakfast (that I treat myself to maybe twice a year) is french toast with sprinkled powdered sugar on top.

I haven't eaten a pop tart since i was 12 or so. I Can't stand them.

That sh*t make you fat. I prefer donuts.
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

FD, you can also raise the good cholesterol and lower the bad by keeping carbs low and phys. condit., as you may know and perhaps do.

My favorite breakfast these days is almonds, cashews or walnuts with raisins, prunes or chocolate ex-lax. Kidding about the ex-lax, there's sugar in that stuff.
    GR lives...

2 hardboiled eggs, yogurt and about 20 oz. of coffee.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis66 View Post
    Pop Tarts taste great but they are one of those breakfast items that don't satisfy my hunger. In fact, anything I eat that is sweet tends to make my hungry a couple hours later. Donuts, pastries or Pop Tarts tend to make my jittery about two hours after consumption. Lately my breakfast diet has been limited to Raisin Bran, Cheerios or this crappy cereal I bought at Costco that taste like cardboard. Quaker squares or something. I go to Starbucks a couple times a week and have a bagel and cream cheese and Venti Pike Place coffee with cream. I take Zocor so I don't have to worry about Cholesterol. It runs high in my family and no matter how well I eat it stays high. I lost about 16 pounds since June 2013. I now weigh 152 pounds and work out with weights but the cholesterol is still high. Now that I'm taking cholesterol lowering meds at night it's coming down drastically. Haven't experienced any side effects, knock on wood.

My favorite breakfast (that I treat myself to maybe twice a year) is french toast with sprinkled powdered sugar on top.
    Curious if you even tried cleaning up your diet? You're pretty young and who really knows what 40 years of a statin will do to your mind/body. I'd look at Eat to Live and follow's Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations before I agreed to taking any statin at my age. All drugs are toxic and take a toll on the body over the long term. I changed my diet about 5 years ago and my cholesterol dropped about 50 points. It's not convenient or easy, but I rarely eat wheat, I rarely eat dairy, except maybe a small amount of cheese. I eat a ton of non-starch vegetables. I'd recommend going to a functional practitioner if I was in your shoes. Do you know that Doc's have about 1 semester of nutrition education? Most are not the best to give advice about diets.

I agree completely as to Dr. Fuhrman and not just because of his name. I most of the time handle my diet thusly. But I also take statins. It's a question of comparative risk and thus far with so many years of data on statin use, with proper monitoring it's about the closest thing there is to a pharmaceutical panacea that's been found.
    GR lives...

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs View Post
    2 hardboiled eggs, yogurt and about 20 oz. of coffee.
    Damn dude you got some silent deadly nasty farts by mid morning.
    Last edited by 12sandwich; 12-05-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Somehow I maintain a relatively low cholesterol level, I had it checked a few months ago. I attribute it to the capsicum I take.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc View Post
    I agree completely as to Dr. Fuhrman and not just because of his name. I most of the time handle my diet thusly. But I also take statins. It's a question of comparative risk and thus far with so many years of data on statin use, with proper monitoring it's about the closest thing there is to a pharmaceutical panacea that's been found.
    ^^ Wow! we agree on something. So, do you still eat dairy after reading his book. I hardly ever do now. When I do it's in a good meal, I'll cheat but other than that, it's wasted calories.

Didn't you have a cardiac event or something. I agree if the risks are there, but family history of high cholesterol isn't enough for me. A family history of heart disease, ok, especially if you add either high cholesterol, blood pressure, fat, inactivity etc.

I just think it's lazy for our medical industry to go straight to pharma. I still think there's a missing link like the TMAO bacteria or something. There's too many people that have good numbers but still have arteriosclerosis and others that have poor numbers that don't. Being fat and having a poor diet does seem to be a link. But I'm not convinced we are in complete understanding of the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    Damn dude you got some silent deadly nasty farts by mid morning.
    If I really don't want anyone bothering me in the office, I'll wash it all down with a whey protein shake.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Piss on the pop tart. When I do have breakfast its usually egg sandwiches with either sausage or bacon. Biscuits and gravy gets consumed quite often also.

Till a couple years ago I worked construction, so seeing as I did physical work vs paper pushing, never worried about my diet. Had the cholesterol checked about 6 months ago and still good to go. Other than the blood pressure is a little high, which runs in the family, fine health.
    Bridgestone J38 10.5, Srixon 2,3,4 hybrids. Snake Eyes Viper Tour
    Eidolon 52,56 and 60 wedges.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Poe, I hear what you are saying. Actually, by losing a lot of weight recently I may have lowered it by quite a bit. Also, my blood pressure dropped significantly after losing the weight. It wasn't dangerously high before but now it's near optimum. Do get back to your idea of me trying a different diet, I would argue that I eat pretty well and not that much. I eat cereal in the morning with coffee. For lunch I may have a chicken sandwich and a diet coke. Dinner I must admit that I'm more concerned with the amount of food I eat than what I eat.

I have to be honest with myself and wonder if I really have the ability to eat as healthy as you are suggesting. You have to remember that high cholesterol runs in my family. My grandfather died at the age of 97 but had cholesterol over 300.

I'm simply not the kind of person who is going to take the time to make my own special meals, do a lot of grocery shopping to do it or count calories.

I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum looks more fit than I do. I'll take the shirt off photo challenge any day.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul View Post
    ^^ Wow! we agree on something. So, do you still eat dairy after reading his book. I hardly ever do now. When I do it's in a good meal, I'll cheat but other than that, it's wasted calories.

Didn't you have a cardiac event or something. I agree if the risks are there, but family history of high cholesterol isn't enough for me. A family history of heart disease, ok, especially if you add either high cholesterol, blood pressure, fat, inactivity etc.

I just think it's lazy for our medical industry to go straight to pharma. I still think there's a missing link like the TMAO bacteria or something. There's too many people that have good numbers but still have arteriosclerosis and others that have poor numbers that don't. Being fat and having a poor diet does seem to be a link. But I'm not convinced we are in complete understanding of the whole thing.
    We agree on a lot of things. Yes, there's a lot not known about causation. The most insight seems to be from studies linking characteristics and habits with risk. The newish ones according to my MD laden family seem to indicate family history doesn't correlate much if prior weight and lifestyle are materially different, in either direction. Further suggesting it's weight and smoking mostly to blame and that random viruses seem to play a large role in those who fit into neither camp.

There is also strong statistical correlation showing up that carbs and sugars are worse than unhealthy fats, the belief being our bodies pump out bad cholesterol to coat our veins and arteries in response to high sugar levels in the bloodstream. People whose weight is low, activity high, virus infection incidence low and who don't overload on carbs and sugars are in the group of lowest incidence with a weak correlation to family history.

I have some family history on one side and almost none on the other. I did a stress test followed by a more involved test years back and had a doctor insist I fly home from a business trip immediately for surgery. A business associate got me into the Texas Heart Institute immediately and several days later, having scheduled surgery in case it was necessary, I found out I was fine but that the doctor who did the original testing was a moron. If one is fit to the point that their resting heart rate is sub 45, there's a good chance they'll fail a stress test.

The false warning wasn't lost on me, I dropped the 15 I'd gained since college, learned about and changed my diet, added a statin, added aspirin, stopped cigars, added more red wine and nuts and got divorced to rid myself of the stress of being around my ex.

I also agree with you on pharma in fact I have this debate with my dr. brother and cousins who have mostly been brainwashed. But until more is known about prevention, statins are better than other forms of treatment or death. Same as for aspirin, the statistics are just too compelling.
    GR lives...

Poe, I hear what you are saying. Actually, by losing a lot of weight recently I may have lowered it by quite a bit. Also, my blood pressure dropped significantly after losing the weight. It wasn't dangerously high before but now it's near optimum. Do get back to your idea of me trying a different diet, I would argue that I eat pretty well and not that much. I eat cereal in the morning with coffee. For lunch I may have a chicken sandwich and a diet coke. Dinner I must admit that I'm more concerned with the amount of food I eat than what I eat.

I have to be honest with myself and wonder if I really have the ability to eat as healthy as you are suggesting. You have to remember that high cholesterol runs in my family. My grandfather died at the age of 97 but had cholesterol over 300.

I'm simply not the kind of person who is going to take the time to make my own special meals, do a lot of grocery shopping to do it or count calories.

I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum looks more fit than I do. I'll take the shirt off photo challenge any day.
    My point exactly on your grandfather. How did he live to by 97 with that high of cholesterol? Doctors think they know but I'm guessing they don't. What did your Doc say about your grandad's numbers? Why wasn't he dead at 50?

To your argument, don't confuse being fit and being healthy.

Eat more greens!

We agree on a lot of things. Yes, there's a lot not known about causation. The most insight seems to be from studies linking characteristics and habits with risk. The newish ones according to my MD laden family seem to indicate family history doesn't correlate much if prior weight and lifestyle are materially different, in either direction. Further suggesting it's weight and smoking mostly to blame and that random viruses seem to play a large role in those who fit into neither camp.

There is also strong statistical correlation showing up that carbs and sugars are worse than unhealthy fats, the belief being our bodies pump out bad cholesterol to coat our veins and arteries in response to high sugar levels in the bloodstream. People whose weight is low, activity high, virus infection incidence low and who don't overload on carbs and sugars are in the group of lowest incidence with a weak correlation to family history.

I have some family history on one side and almost none on the other. I did a stress test followed by a more involved test years back and had a doctor insist I fly home from a business trip immediately for surgery. A business associate got me into the Texas Heart Institute immediately and several days later, having scheduled surgery in case it was necessary, I found out I was fine but that the doctor who did the original testing was a moron. If one is fit to the point that their resting heart rate is sub 45, there's a good chance they'll fail a stress test.

The false warning wasn't lost on me, I dropped the 15 I'd gained since college, learned about and changed my diet, added a statin, added aspirin, stopped cigars, added more red wine and nuts and got divorced to rid myself of the stress of being around my ex.

I also agree with you on pharma in fact I have this debate with my dr. brother and cousins who have mostly been brainwashed. But until more is known about prevention, statins are better than other forms of treatment or death. Same as for aspirin, the statistics are just too compelling.
    Good to hear about the surgery. Everything I've read is you can't reverse some of the damage that is done with a stent. Since my cholesterol isn't that bad and I haven't had the scare, I'm just doing my part to eat healthy and workout. I'm not as fit as you; my resting am heart rate is in the low 50's. I'm carrying some weight that I'm working off right now. Down 10 and would like to lose another 10 or so. Basically cut wheat, dairy, caffeine (except green teas), and nightshades out of the diet. After a couple of weeks I going to introduce them back in rotation to try and determine if I have any allergies. I'm pretty sure I'm mildly allergic to dairy. Been on the diet for a week and I feel great.

It is pretty amazing how fast the body can heal itself with just a bit of effort. At least for most people this is the case. I can only speak for the Portland market, but there is a ton of good healthy food in our stores. You have to pay a bit more but it's cheaper than a doctors visit.

Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Good to hear about the surgery. Everything I've read is you can't reverse some of the damage that is done with a stent. Since my cholesterol isn't that bad and I haven't had the scare, I'm just doing my part to eat healthy and workout. I'm not as fit as you; my resting am heart rate is in the low 50's. I'm carrying some weight that I'm working off right now. Down 10 and would like to lose another 10 or so. Basically cut wheat, dairy, caffeine (except green teas), and nightshades out of the diet. After a couple of weeks I going to introduce them back in rotation to try and determine if I have any allergies. I'm pretty sure I'm mildly allergic to dairy. Been on the diet for a week and I feel great.

It is pretty amazing how fast the body can heal itself with just a bit of effort. At least for most people this is the case. I can only speak for the Portland market, but there is a ton of good healthy food in our stores. You have to pay a bit more but it's cheaper than a doctors visit.
    Park City's a fairly small town yet there's a Whole Foods (whole wallet) here that's busy even during the shoulder seasons. It's because you can get the heatlthy s.hit there and people here, let's just say, don't drink soda. In the average American enclave, people like FD who have family histories, are carrying excess weight and dining at McDonalds. That's how you know the American culture is in rapid decline. Survival instinct has been overwhelmed by commercial and hedonistic influence.
    GR lives...

My old family doctor who's son I golf with, dad was a marathon runner, into his 80s both his kids ran also, anyways he said I don't care so much how high the cholesterol number, as the ratio of good to bad.
    I asked my doc about that, he kind of bucked, but said mine is perfect. I told him that's straight from my old Doc before him.

My old family doctor who's son I golf with, dad was a marathon runner, into his 80s both his kids ran also, anyways he said I don't care so much how high the cholesterol number, as the ratio of good to bad.
    I asked my doc about that, he kind of bucked, but said mine is perfect. I told him that's straight from my old Doc before him.
    I think you would also have to include the ratio of triglycerides/HDL. You could be good in the LDL/HDL but bad in the triglycerides/HDL and still have a risk.

Poe, in regard to my grandfather, the last thing I'd want to do is use that one example to base what action I take moving forward. Maybe he is one of the exceptions to the rule. The facts remain that high cholesterol runs in my family and that I am at risk for a heart attack if I don't do something drastic to get my cholesterol down to a safe level. I would need to go on an extreme diet to get mine down and that's simply not realistic.

I've noticed an odd trend in both forums and casual talk that people tend to bash doctors in regard to prescribed medicine. I've gone to several doctors who have explained to me that I would need to go on a crazy diet to get my cholesterol down and even then it probably wouldn't get it low enough.

The risk associated with side effects is pretty minor compared to that of a heart attack. I'm not going to pretend that I know more than a cardiologist and I'll listen to him and follow his suggestions before listening to the average Joe who thinks he's got the solution.

I think you would also have to include the ratio of triglycerides/HDL. You could be good in the LDL/HDL but bad in the triglycerides/HDL and still have a risk.
    I remember him mentioning that as well. He was one of the few doctors that did his best to not prescribe unnecessary medications, under pressure from the pharma industries, like so many of these fukin newbie docs.
    I miss him, he was the best.

Poe, in regard to my grandfather, the last thing I'd want to do is use that one example to base what action I take moving forward. Maybe he is one of the exceptions to the rule. The facts remain that high cholesterol runs in my family and that I am at risk for a heart attack if I don't do something drastic to get my cholesterol down to a safe level. I would need to go on an extreme diet to get mine down and that's simply not realistic.

I've noticed an odd trend in both forums and casual talk that people tend to bash doctors in regard to prescribed medicine. I've gone to several doctors who have explained to me that I would need to go on a crazy diet to get my cholesterol down and even then it probably wouldn't get it low enough.

The risk associated with side effects is pretty minor compared to that of a heart attack. I'm not going to pretend that I know more than a cardiologist and I'll listen to him and follow his suggestions before listening to the average Joe who thinks he's got the solution.
    Very good. You've made your choice and I respect that. I would have done the extreme diet. Any pill you put in your mouth is a toxin. The only exception I can think of is supplements. I would have tried different things to see if I could avoid the pills. there are many examples of people that change their diet to near vegan and cut 200 points from their cholesterol.

As far as doc's go, they are great. They put me back together when I was hit by a car and do fantastic things. But they don't know everything and there are differing opinions on this subject. Over time they have been wrong more than right. My main point is they do not have adequate training in diet.

The reason I asked about your diet is you are the one that starts threads on best cheap, poor diet chain food restaurants on this forum. I don't remember the last time I've been in a burger joint. That doesn't mean I don't eat burgers, but if I do it's going to be a good one not a cheap POS without fresh condiments from the places you mentioned. At that I only eat them about once a month.

The last comment I would make again is eat your vegetables. The breakfast and lunch you mentioned is not nutritious. Every item you mention for breakfast and lunch are processed industrial food. Try eating a fresh smoothie for breakfast made of greens and fruit, and just eat your chicken and a side of vegetables or salad for lunch, skip the bread. Bread is empty calories. Even whole wheat bread has little benefit to the body other than calories. Eliminate the bread, dairy, and limit caffeine for a week and see how you feel. I bet it would astound you how good you'd feel with some very basic changes in your diet.

One of my neighbors by my old house died on Sunday. He was 49 and had 4 kids ranging in age from 13 - 20. Heart attack out of the blue. He wasn't a health nut by any stretch, just a guy who drank a bit too much and didn't exercise much if at all. Pretty typical for a lot of Americans in their 40's. That dude didn't even get any wake up calls to change his life, like you hear with a lot of people. Funeral is today.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Shucks. I was gonna say Madonna is my favorite pop tart.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I've been on board with the low carb thing for 10 years, I'm trying to cut down on alcohol but I still love a good coffee and still eat dairy. Can you guys (Poe/Zo) enlighten me on the harm of caffiene and dairy?

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player View Post
    Shucks. I was gonna say Madonna is my favorite pop tart.
    When they get old like that, they tend to go rancid. I wouldn't even considering eating it with someone else's mouth. The reverse of the old Chinese culinary wisdom-- "Young Dog, Old Cat".
    Mostly Taylormade clubs now except for two Ping I25 hybrids, Mizuno 54 & Callaway 56 wedges.

One of my neighbors by my old house died on Sunday. He was 49 and had 4 kids ranging in age from 13 - 20. Heart attack out of the blue. He wasn't a health nut by any stretch, just a guy who drank a bit too much and didn't exercise much if at all. Pretty typical for a lot of Americans in their 40's. That dude didn't even get any wake up calls to change his life, like you hear with a lot of people. Funeral is today.
    That's pretty rough but some people are just ticking time bombs. I think they just got unlucky in the genetic lottery. My cousins husband had a heart attack at age 46, his Dad died in his 50's. My Dad is still in great health at 73 and his older siblings are doing well into their 80's. Dad still enjoys a drink and coffee but has always had slightly elevated cholesterol. He's just recently begun taking statins on advice from his doctor. I'm with Poe and will avoid taking medication as long as possible.

Having said all that I'm due for a cholesterol test next week.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    When they get old like that, they tend to go rancid. I wouldn't even considering eating it with someone else's mouth. The reverse of the old Chinese culinary wisdom-- "Young Dog, Old Cat".
    Yeah, I couldn't think of anyone more contemporary.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Yeah, I couldn't think of anyone more contemporary.
    Yeah and it would be quite a bit younger. Over here in the States, us Yanks refer to it as "Jail Bait".

I've been on board with the low carb thing for 10 years, I'm trying to cut down on alcohol but I still love a good coffee and still eat dairy. Can you guys (Poe/Zo) enlighten me on the harm of caffiene and dairy?
    Dairy is easy. It has the least nutrients per calorie. Yogurt has some probiotics but you can get that easily form other sources. If you eat vegetables you get enough calcium, so that doesn't matter.

Coffee has some benefits but if you are addicted, like most are, there are side effects from withdrawal. What you think is hunger can often be a symptom of withdrawal.

Dairy is easy. It has the least nutrients per calorie. Yogurt has some probiotics but you can get that easily form other sources. If you eat vegetables you get enough calcium, so that doesn't matter.

Coffee has some benefits but if you are addicted, like most are, there are side effects from withdrawal. What you think is hunger can often be a symptom of withdrawal.
    Dairy in moderation may work for some people provided there isn't a calorie surplus, per Poe's point. It's rich in calcium and protein but also fat. There is however evidence it causes inflammation in at least some people. There's plenty of research showing links between inflammation and arteriosclerosis and there's growing suspicion it's at the heart pun intended of causation.
    GR lives...

I had 2 helpings of brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, peas, and a small sirloin steak medium, I did have a strawberry tart, sugar free. Last nite for supper. Did I do good?
    I may go to the gym at the club, and hit the sauna, after I work a couple hours.

Dairy in moderation may work for some people provided there isn't a calorie surplus, per Poe's point. It's rich in calcium and protein but also fat. There is however evidence it causes inflammation in at least some people. There's plenty of research showing links between inflammation and arteriosclerosis and there's growing suspicion it's at the heart pun intended of causation.
    Since I went low carb over 10 years ago I stopped eating breakfast cereal and accordingly don't consume much milk except with coffee. And that's a cup of milk as I like latte. Apart from that I do like cheese in food like omelets etc.

When I was gym training I used to occasionally take protein shakes as a meal alternative and I usually took these with milk.

It's interesting. I was asthmatic growing up and was always advised by doctors to avoid or cut down on dairy. I never found it made much difference. Since cutting carbs my asthma completely cleared up but I can still consume milk/dairy with no adverse affects. But starting the day with a bowl of cereal is just the worst for me. I'm wheezing almost immediately!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Since I went low carb over 10 years ago I stopped eating breakfast cereal and accordingly don't consume much milk except with coffee. And that's a cup of milk as I like latte. Apart from that I do like cheese in food like omelets etc.

When I was gym training I used to occasionally take protein shakes as a meal alternative and I usually took these with milk.

It's interesting. I was asthmatic growing up and was always advised by doctors to avoid or cut down on dairy. I never found it made much difference. Since cutting carbs my asthma completely cleared up but I can still consume milk/dairy with no adverse affects. But starting the day with a bowl of cereal is just the worst for me. I'm wheezing almost immediately!
    I don't have any strong allergies, that I know of anyway, but that is the basis of the diet I'm on. I'll remove every common allergy food then reintroduce them one at a time. I'll cycle through each for two days followed by two days back on the strict diet. It will probably take 2 weeks to work through dairy, wheat, beer, beef, eggs, etc. I already know that I'm mildly allergic to dairy and maybe beer. It's interesting test. I've been on it for 1 week, going for 2 more before I re-introduce other foods.

What I've read is allergy test, blood or skin, do not always catch all of the allergy foods and sometime test positive for foods you are not allergic to. I'm looking forward to the experiment.

I love cereal. I can't imagine not eating cereal in the morning. Raisin Bran, Cheerios, Rice Chex, etc. All of this crapola about milk being bad for you is nonsense. Most people would lose weight immediately if they started eating cereal for breakfast and stopped eating things like eggs, toast, bagels, pancakes, etc. Cereal has very little calories and it keeps you feeling full until lunch time. If I eat Raisin Bran (a small bowl, mind you) in the morning i'm good to go.

Smoothies are not good for you. You see, so many diets leave out the human nature element. Let me expand on that thought and take a look at this "eating 5 meals per day diet". The idea is that you eat 5 small meals instead of 3. They say your body burns more calories more efficiently and you avoid binging.

Not true, I say. My argument with 5 meals a day is that you will not make your portions small enough. Further, most of us are busy. Who has time to make the 5 types of meals that most of these books recommend?

Smoothies, protein shakes, nutrition bars....all of these foods make you feel hungry within an hour after eating the.

If you want to feel healthy the number one objective is to obtain your ideal weight. That's more important than anything else. As long as what you eat is relatively healthy, it really doesn't matter. The key is eating less than what you are accustomed to and losing that flab.

I usually eat a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, a salad or sandwich for lunch and then whatever I want for dinner but in a smaller portion.

I love cereal. I can't imagine not eating cereal in the morning. Raisin Bran, Cheerios, Rice Chex, etc. All of this crapola about milk being bad for you is nonsense. Most people would lose weight immediately if they started eating cereal for breakfast and stopped eating things like eggs, toast, bagels, pancakes, etc. Cereal has very little calories and it keeps you feeling full until lunch time. If I eat Raisin Bran (a small bowl, mind you) in the morning i'm good to go.

Smoothies are not good for you. You see, so many diets leave out the human nature element. Let me expand on that thought and take a look at this "eating 5 meals per day diet". The idea is that you eat 5 small meals instead of 3. They say your body burns more calories more efficiently and you avoid binging.

Not true, I say. My argument with 5 meals a day is that you will not make your portions small enough. Further, most of us are busy. Who has time to make the 5 types of meals that most of these books recommend?

Smoothies, protein shakes, nutrition bars....all of these foods make you feel hungry within an hour after eating the.

If you want to feel healthy the number one objective is to obtain your ideal weight. That's more important than anything else. As long as what you eat is relatively healthy, it really doesn't matter. The key is eating less than what you are accustomed to and losing that flab.

I usually eat a small bowl of cereal for breakfast, a salad or sandwich for lunch and then whatever I want for dinner but in a smaller portion.
    You go with that girl!

I'm not into the small meals either. It's just not practical in today's society. But what does smoothies have to do with 5 meals a day?

My smoothies/juices are mostly green vegetables. I can have a large juice that is about 3 cups of spinach, 1 apple, kale, berries, 3 Tbls vegetable protein, almond milk, chia seed, flax seed and other whole ingredients like carrots, celery, pears, etc. and I won't be hungry for 4 hours.

You want to lose fat, eliminate low nutrient food like breads, pasta, white and brown rice, cereal, milk, yogurt and cheese. Replace them with lots of cruciferous vegetable, lettuce, some beans, some wild rice, small amount of free range chicken, turkey or lamb. Stay away from beef, unless you know the source. Your cravings will go away, your energy will be high and you'll have better nutrition. You'll go through a withdrawal for about 3 days kicking the carbs to the curb, but that is normal.

I did a pod body comp test this weekend. I'm just under 20% fat. My lean body mass is higher than your current weight. So, I got that going for me. I need to lose 7% body fat to get down to where I'd like to be.

Good luck with your processed foods. I'm sure General Mills has got you covered.

I'm in agreement with this although I don't think FD was serious. Nobody's that naive. 15% body fat is fine unless you think you look better really thin. As one approaches 40 or beyond it's tough to maintain muscle mass below that and mm translates into metabolism and has anti aging effects. Although there are also studies that correlate longevity with skinniness down to a really low fat%. I feel best at 14% and that's where I usually am. Lower than that I don't look as good.
    GR lives...

The hell with all the good foods. The squeeze picked up some elk burgers from the local butcher all ready preformed. So carmalized some onions and fried the burgers with some pancetta. Topped it off with some Tilimook sharp chedder on some fresh bakery burger buns (couldn't find any sourdough) and a decent amber ale. Oven fried sweet potato chips drizzled with olive oil then salted. Was going to make a roasted red pepper mayo to put on the burger but time, beer and decent herb put the kibosh on that.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1135 View Post
    The hell with all the good foods. The squeeze picked up some elk burgers from the local butcher all ready preformed. So carmalized some onions and fried the burgers with some pancetta. Topped it off with some Tilimook sharp chedder on some fresh bakery burger buns (couldn't find any sourdough) and a decent amber ale. Oven fried sweet potato chips drizzled with olive oil then salted. Was going to make a roasted red pepper mayo to put on the burger but time, beer and decent herb put the kibosh on that.
    Forgot to add now listening to some Link Wray Fire and Brimstone.
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Mmmm... sounds good.

You're making me hungry

Now where the f#ck am I?

Agreed. Looking to go below 15% with expectation of a bounce back up after I reintroduce additional foods and more protein.

Agreed. Looking to go below 15% with expectation of a bounce back up after I reintroduce additional foods and more protein.
    I know what you and Zo' are saying and I guess I am half joking about some of this stuff. Seriously, though, I really don't think it matters so much what you eat rather than how much you eat. I'm not talking about eating fast food or super high calorie meals. However, if you order a club sandwich and fries for dinner and only eat half of it, that's really not too bad, unless you order that all the time.

I'm not going to eat some slurpee made of spinach and a bunch of other gross stuff all grinded together. That's an Oregonian thing. I tell you what, though, I might give it a try for two weeks in the morning and see how I feel.

There is nothing wrong with eating a small piece of steak, asparagus and a salad for dinner. In fact, that's a great meal.

I don't know how we got into a conversation about body fat. All I know is that right now I am muscular and lean and have almost zero love handles and no belly at all to speak of. I'm 5-8 and weigh 152 pounds. They say my ideal weight is 142 to 146 but, I don't know, that seems pretty skinny to me.

It's amazing how skinny people were back in the 50's. Look at Ben Hogan. That guy was 140 pounds soaking wet. People back then ate 3 meals a day, did not snack and ate meat, potatoes and vegitables.

We are too fukking soft as a society these days. If I don't do some sort of exercise during the work week, I will burn zero calories. It's just the nature of an office job.
    I agree with FD. I'm not grinding up a bunch of disgusting sh!t and calling that breakfast. Anything too extreme has no staying power. Plus, I have a family and it's hard enough getting my kids to eat at the moderate level of healthiness we employ. I couldn't imagine trying to get my kids to skip all dairy, pasta, bread, red meat, etc. I'd be raising the pasty white vegan kids who end up social missfits because their parents abused them with soy and carrot juice. No thanks.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

We are too fukking soft as a society these days. If I don't do some sort of exercise during the work week, I will burn zero calories. It's just the nayture of an office job.
    I agree with FD. I'm not grinding up a bunch of disgusting sh!t and calling that breakfast. Anything too extreme has no staying power. Plus, I have a family and it's hard enough getting my kids to eat at the moderate level of healthiness we employ. I couldn't imagine trying to get my kids to skip all dairy, pasta, bread, red meat, etc. I'd be raising the pasty white vegan kids who end up social missfits because their parents abused them with soy and carrot juice. No thanks.
    I disagree. I like to think of myself as a high performance race car. Even when I'm sitting still, idling, I'm still burning more fuel than most sedans and will quickly empty the tank.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I don't know about everybody else, well maybe Jt has it worse, but it was -3 Fahrenheit this morning, and the last thing I want is a protein slurpee.
    I'm having a hot bowl of chili, with a dash of habanero sauce added, it's made with ground round though, almost no grease, chopped onion, diced tomato, 3 jalapeño peppers, just enough beans.

It's amazing how skinny people were back in the 50's. Look at Ben Hogan. That guy was 140 pounds soaking wet. People back then ate 3 meals a day, did not snack and ate meat, potatoes and vegitables.
    You, lad, are too young to remember the '50's. However, I will never forget them. At least as long as the Ginko Biloba keeps working. In the US in the '50's, most poor people were skinny and the more affluent were heavier. At least the males. Full figures were due to abundant quantities of good food. Real butter and none of that fake crap. Beef with lots of marbled fat fed on local grains. Fresh seafood and vegitables without many chemical preservatives. Of course this was all possible because the population was maybe a third of what it is today and the majority of tillable land in the country was tilled for the production of plant and animal food for domestic consumption first.

Ben Hogan was a skinny runt. He grew up poor and skinny due to food scarcity in his household and that's the way he was until he got old and chubby. Now Nicklaus grew up in an affluent household and that guy was real chubby. I remember watching him play when he was 22 or 23. Big fat arse. Big grabby lovehandles. Two or three chins. But man could that mo-fo propel the old balata.

Buy the way, we snacked a lot.

I know what you and Zo' are saying and I guess I am half joking about some of this stuff. Seriously, though, I really don't think it matters so much what you eat rather than how much you eat. I'm not talking about eating fast food or super high calorie meals. However, if you order a club sandwich and fries for dinner and only eat half of it, that's really not too bad, unless you order that all the time.

I'm not going to eat some slurpee made of spinach and a bunch of other gross stuff all grinded together. That's an Oregonian thing. I tell you what, though, I might give it a try for two weeks in the morning and see how I feel.

There is nothing wrong with eating a small piece of steak, asparagus and a salad for dinner. In fact, that's a great meal.

I don't know how we got into a conversation about body fat. All I know is that right now I am muscular and lean and have almost zero love handles and no belly at all to speak of. I'm 5-8 and weigh 152 pounds. They say my ideal weight is 142 to 146 but, I don't know, that seems pretty skinny to me.

Back in 1940 they didn't have Sesco, industrialized convenience foods, or some of the food subsidies we do now. Life was different. People cooked their food from local sourced whole foods.

In the news right now is the dairy cliff which will double the cost of dairy. Beef or pork are both highly subsidized with grain feed and corn feed receiving the highest farm subsidies. This results in sick and over antibiotic use for cows/pigs. Grass fed cows are hard to find due to the subsidizes. These corn subsidies have led to cheap beef and pork not to mention the use of more corn syrup in all of the processed food. I could go on and on but we all know this but are too lazy to do much about it.

To your Oregon comment, take another look at that. California has more nutritional doctors and alternative diet ideas than Oregon. New York has a large share as well. Oregon has a very large natural food movement but I'm guessing some of that has to do with our land use laws of protecting farm land. This is ideal for locally sourced food.

I get what you are saying about diet but there is some certainties. Americans, on average, consume way too much red meat, heck - protein in general, and way too much starches. If you consume the majority of your food as good leafy green vegetables, couple of servings of fruit, with some of the following: beans, wild rice, and nuts, you don't need much meat. You'll get plenty of protein and even calcium. You also won't need to consume as much Omega 3 because you are not consuming as much Omega 6's. You'll only need protein 3 or 4 meals a week. Granted, if you are building muscle you'll need more, but most of the population does not. Most of the population eats cereal with milk or eggs and bacon for breakfast, sandwich and fries for lunch, and maybe a sensible home prepared meal or meat, starch, and some greens like salad, green beans, or broccoli. More than likely they eat out for dinner, so you can nix the vegetables. That's a big difference from an ideal diet.

I also think some of our problems are with growth hormones. If you don't think so, go to your local high school and look at the yearbooks over the last 30 years. Today's young adults are more mature than they were when we were in high school. We are also consuming them, which might be some of our problems with gaining and losing weight.

FD, you sound like you are in good shape. Great job on your weight. I'm hoping to get to where you are fat percentage wise.

Just from my own experience on this diet, I had a tough time not eating carbs and high volumes of protein for about 3 days. I had headaches, mood and energy swings, etc. I'm currently on day 10 of a pretty strict diet and I feel good and have great energy. I still crave foods from time to time, but it will be interesting to see how I feel after the 3 week commitment. Some things I've learned, most salads suck in general. Lettuce is pretty much void of most nutrients. I'm finding Kale, broccoli, spinach, chard, and collards to satisfy me better. Juicing in the AM is ideal, but juicing for dinner isn't really satisfying. Probably due to the winter hibernation feeling with all of the cold weather. I'm eating sensible lunches without any wheat, rich or potatoes and I don't have any afternoon energy crashes I used to get in the past. I'm guessing that could also have to do with the caffeine consumption and of course the carbs.

We are too fukking soft as a society these days. If I don't do some sort of exercise during the work week, I will burn zero calories. It's just the nature of an office job.
    I agree on the carbs but you still need nutrients, ie vegetables. Tell me where you get that out at lunch? Easy to get a salad but beyond that, good luck. That's our main problem in the US. Starches and protein are everywhere. Not so many other choices out there.

I don't eat soy.

I don't know about everybody else, well maybe Jt has it worse, but it was -3 Fahrenheit this morning, and the last thing I want is a protein slurpee.
    I'm having a hot bowl of chili, with a dash of habanero sauce added, it's made with ground round though, almost no grease, chopped onion, diced tomato, 3 jalapeño peppers, just enough beans.
    18 below tonight
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

I agree on the carbs but you still need nutrients, ie vegetables. Tell me where you get that out at lunch? Easy to get a salad but beyond that, good luck. That's our main problem in the US. Starches and protein are everywhere. Not so many other choices out there.

I don't eat soy.
    My kids eat a lot of vegetables and fruit because they lack the finances to make bad choices and have to live with whatever we pack in their lunches.
    During the week, I will usually eat a cold deli sandwich with lettuce and tomato a couple days, and a salad a couple days. Usually one day a week, I'll go out with the client and eat something pretty bad like thai. The weekend is pretty much debauchery outside of breakfast, and even then it's possible to consume a couple cream cheese bagels or a donut.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

There are salad bars everywhere ranging from disgusting to awesome. At the disgusting end you have your wilted iceberg, shredded carrots from a couple of days ago, pale, light orange, mealy, two day old tomato slices and dressing featuring fat, sugar and artificial ingredient infused phlegm or mix it yourself imitation olive oil and the cheapest, worst vinegar that would make a foodie projectile vomit. By the way, how the f.uck are you supposed to mix them together? Unless you throw the salad against the wall or on the floor and kick it around a few times, how is that possible?????

At the awesome end you have spinich, kale, better, more healthy dressings, a range of ingredients so that you can chef your own salad. Sure if you load up muffins, pizza and whatever else you might as well as have had a steak.

I eat really well 85% of the time. Other times I'm out or making pasta, rib roasts etc. although red meat is f.ucked up so I might do that once a month. Chicken is about the healthiest thing you can get meat wise in this country. Fish is generally up there in moderation. Farm raised, end of the food chain and urban coastal fish have issues.

Poe, good luck with that, not having kids does give one much greater abilities to do things like shakes. I'll do them several times a week for breakfast. I usually skip breakfast completely but with skiing in the cold most days in the winter I can use the carbs. Lunch I'm either turkey chili or my own dried fruits, nuts and maybe canned tuna or salmon. For my routine, I need about 190 grams of protein a day which if you look at what's in foods isn't easy to get. Last thing I need is whey protein shakes (cheese by-product) but I'll do them if I'm at too big a deficit. They're probably the worst things I consume.
    GR lives...

Zo, chicken has gone way down hill in the last 10 to 15 years. Almost all chickens are raised in a very small cage, don't get any excersize and are fed large amounts to fatten them up quicker and get them to the grocer. The texture on these birds sucks. Being in the middle of nowhere here, lots of people raise chickens, some cows and pigs that are free range. The quality is so much better.

We get our eggs from kids in the 4H who raise them for the fair. About the same price and besides knowing who and how the birds are raised and kept it also helps out the young'uns.

In a hundred years wont matter because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE
    Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Where's Not a Hacker when you need him?

I thought I was doing well avoiding processed carbs i.e. basing my meals around lean protein, salads and green vegetables with fruit thrown in for good carbs.

All this disparaging of red meat, fish and chicken makes it sound like we should all be going vegan.
    Last edited by Kiwi Player; 12-11-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Now where the f#ck am I?

I had a great lunch. Ahi tuna hoagie with lettuce, tomato, and a homemade wasabi sauce, a nice mixed green salad, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber, and of course some croutons.
    I took half of the hoagie home for later, washed down with water.
    The little woman had a salad, and French onion soup.

Zo, chicken has gone way down hill in the last 10 to 15 years. Almost all chickens are raised in a very small cage, don't get any excersize and are fed large amounts to fatten them up quicker and get them to the grocer. The texture on these birds sucks. Being in the middle of nowhere here, lots of people raise chickens, some cows and pigs that are free range. The quality is so much better.

We get our eggs from kids in the 4H who raise them for the fair. About the same price and besides knowing who and how the birds are raised and kept it also helps out the young'uns.

In a hundred years wont matter because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE
    Yeah, I was talking in terms of healthy swing as how they can't use hormones and antibiotic use isn't as bad.
    GR lives...

Where's Not a Hacker when you need him?

I thought I was doing well avoiding processed carbs i.e. basing my meals around lean protein, salads and green vegetables with fruit thrown in for good carbs.

All this disparaging of red meat, fish and chicken makes it sound like we should all be going vegan.
    Not me. Any wild cold water fish, lamb, free range/hormone free chicken and turkey, or grass fed beef. Much less quantity than I used to eat though.
    Last edited by poe4soul; 12-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Ran accross this video that is pretty much in line with my thoughts.

Bettinardi sb-5+ putter.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Ran accross this video that is pretty much in line with my thoughts.
    That is pretty much the diet that I follow although I have been consuming limited amounts of dairy and bread too. I'm going to cut those out for a while and see how I feel. Pretty inspiring stuff. It's interesting and telling that she is a medical practitioner and readily admits that they don't know much about this stuff.

As I have mentioned before changing to a diet like that cured me of asthma which I have had since early childhood. I used to rely on medication daily but haven't touched any asthma medication in 10 years. When I relayed this information to my doctors their eyes glazed over and they didn't want to hear it. They are good at diagnosing illness and prescribing drugs but know very little about nutrition. I bet if my cholesterol is slightly elevated they will still tell me to eat margarine instead of butter, eat more low fat bread etc.

This is fundamentally the diet that I say I follow but I have been far too loose recently consuming far too much coffee, beer, wine and other junk/carbs. I'm going to try going strict for a while though it will be difficult around Xmas. As she said, she is the canary in the coal mine.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Kiwi, when I saw you it appeared that you were in great shape.

Today I had this Gorilla cereal that I bought at Costco. It's actually pretty good. I had a 20 ounce coffee with it but I'm planning on cutting down to 16 ounces and then, eventually, 12 ounces.

Well, in 20 minutes I'm headed to the gym to do the following:

Bench: 3 sets of 15 with 50 pound dumbells.
    Incline: Same as bench.
    Lat Pulldowns: 100 pounds, 15 reps, 3 sets
    Row Pulls: 50 pounds, 12 reps, 2 sets
    Upright Rows: 55 pounds, 12 reps, 2 sets
    Shoulder extensions with 20lb dumbells. 2 sets of 10.
    Shoulder raised (forward) same.
    Squat Machine: 70 pounds x 20 reps x 4 sets
    Leg extensions: 60 pounds x12 repts x 2sets
    Calf Raised: 3 sets of 20.
    Curl Bar: 3 sets of bar plus 40 pounds.
    Curls dumbell: 3 sets of 10 using 20 pounders
    Curls machine: 60 lbs x 10 reps x 3sets
    Tricep extensions using bar: 50 pounds plus bar, 10 reps, 3 sets
    Tricep pushdowns with cable: 3 sets of 40 pounds
    100 sit ups
    2 sets of Planks for 1 minute.

I just got back from the gym. I swam my customary mile. This was my 6th time swimming. I've been doing a mile each time, but this time I only took one break. I still kind of suck at it, but it's getting better.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Kiwi, when I saw you it appeared that you were in great shape.

Today I had this Gorilla cereal that I bought at Costco. It's actually pretty good. I had a 20 ounce coffee with it but I'm planning on cutting down to 16 ounces and then, eventually, 12 ounces.

Well, in 20 minutes I'm headed to the gym to do the following:

Bench: 3 sets of 15 with 50 pound dumbells.
    Incline: Same as bench.
    Lat Pulldowns: 100 pounds, 15 reps, 3 sets
    Row Pulls: 50 pounds, 12 reps, 2 sets
    Upright Rows: 55 pounds, 12 reps, 2 sets
    Shoulder extensions with 20lb dumbells. 2 sets of 10.
    Shoulder raised (forward) same.
    Squat Machine: 70 pounds x 20 reps x 4 sets
    Leg extensions: 60 pounds x12 repts x 2sets
    Calf Raised: 3 sets of 20.
    Curl Bar: 3 sets of bar plus 40 pounds.
    Curls dumbell: 3 sets of 10 using 20 pounders
    Curls machine: 60 lbs x 10 reps x 3sets
    Tricep extensions using bar: 50 pounds plus bar, 10 reps, 3 sets
    Tricep pushdowns with cable: 3 sets of 40 pounds
    100 sit ups
    2 sets of Planks for 1 minute.
    That's a **** ton of curls - 9 sets after doing your other back sets seems like a lot if you are using the appropriate weight. I wouldn't be able to curl my keys after that many sets.

How many times a week do you work out?

Poe,

Lat pull downs and rows really don't work biceps that much, if done correctly. Now, there's no question that I could do more weight with biceps if I separated them on another day. Simply put, I don't like lifting that way. I like doing all muscle parts in one day. If I were doing bench press pyramids I would have to separate them.

I work out with weights anywhere from 2 to 3 times a week. I find that every 3 days works out perfect for me. Even every 4 days is fine. If I do every other day I haven't given the muscles enough rest.

Also, I am very careful to do each weight lifting exercise correctly and with the proper motion. In other words, I don't cheat or lunge back or forth to lift more weight. I always have a little motion going to put less stress on my back but it's minimal at best.

I go back and forth between stations. I start with lat pull downs and in between those sets I will do squats. The only problem with that is the lungs recovery. I find that squats work such large muscle groups that it takes time to catch your breath before going back to the lat pull downs.

I'm going to start running again as well. I will need to go very slow because whenever I start running again i need to be very careful with my feet and ankles. The bones and tendons in my feet are not used to the pounding that comes from running. In the very beginning I'll probably walk for 5 minutes and then run for one minute and repeat. It's a dreadful thought that I'll have to walk at first but that's the way it is.

OK, I guess you know best.

As far as running and walking, there's nothing wrong with interval training. Great to see you're getting into it.

When I've got the time and dedication to lift 3 times per week, I never do the "total body" approach. I'll work out 2 or 3 areas only, which gives me a week of rest for each area. Granted there is plenty of overlapping muscle groups, like pushups work primarily chest but also working triceps and shoulders to a lesser degree.
    Also FD, I've got a legs/back workout that ends up being pretty intense cardio. I know I'd be able to do more pull up reps if I wasn't gassed from legs, but I like that. Working out is mostly mental for me. It's so easy to stop before failure, but those last couple reps are where the money is.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

OK, I guess you know best.

As far as running and walking, there's nothing wrong with interval training. Great to see you're getting into it.
    I know there is nothing wrong with interval training but I simply can't stand walking. I want to run but know that I can't right now. It's not a matter of lung capacity, legs getting tired or anything else other than my concern over my feet, achille's and ankles. All those tendons need to become accustomed to running and at my age I need to start out very slow.

I know there is nothing wrong with interval training but I simply can't stand walking. I want to run but know that I can't right now. It's not a matter of lung capacity, legs getting tired or anything else other than my concern over my feet, achille's and ankles. All those tendons need to become accustomed to running and at my age I need to start out very slow.
    There's always the elliptical. LOL.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

There's always the elliptical. LOL.
    You beat me to it.

In all seriousness, the elliptical would be a good option if you have this type of mobility issue.

I'm embarrassed to have at one time been an elliptical proponent. Yes it's low impact and cardio efficient but if anyone in this town knew I ever used one my social standing would be ruined. Rep in a small town can be fragile. Thank you guys for always agreeing to keep it completely confidential amongst us. Any demands for hush money must be presented in writing.

I'm onto my winter workout which means a balance between maintaining aerobic and strength condition while emphasizing readiness for almost daily skiing. Weights down to once a week and upper body only except leg press. Also, a little more time spent on flexibility. Aerobic training takes a back seat although it's about the same for everyone here except the bike fanatics like my now ex-gf. Not going to date a bike psycho during winter, I wanna ski. She was starting to get all b.itchy about winter schedule, who the fuch needs that?

I'm actually supposed to be skiing right now except the upstairs furnace stopped working, I'd like to sleep upstairs, the repairman is two hours late because he "lost his keys" and I'm here killing time. Tick, tick, tick....
    GR lives...

Lost his keys = morning ski session.

Uh, it's not a matter of mobility but rather a matter of getting the feet used to running. The elliptical wouldn't do me any good because my feet wouldn't be landing on the surface. Instead they'd be set in place, simply moving back and forth like some dork doing cross country skiing. I expected a little more from you guys.

Anyhow, I'm going to start walking/running on the treadmill at work. There are a couple of babies that I might strike up a conversation or two with in the aerobics area. After a few weeks they'll see how a run and "BOOOO--YAAAAA!!!!".

I'm an Adonis.

Lost his keys = morning ski session.
    Exactly. At least it didn't snow this week. If you lose heat during a snow storm the repairmen will be skiing while the pipes are freezing.
    GR lives...

I need to quit doing dumbell lateral raises. My left shoulder is now bothering me. Man, getting older sucks. You have to be so careful.

That's an obvious weight lifting movement I should have avoided, though. Anything where you are raising your arms away from you with weights is bound to bother the shoulder, rotator cuff, etc.

It even bothered me a bit whilst playing golf.

Good luck with the girls but it's near impossible to overcome first impressions. Walking on a treadmill is worse than using the elliptical. Your rep will be ruined and they'll still remember you as the out of shape old man who could barely run on a treadmill.

Dream on. When they see my physique they'll know I'm in great shape. I'll do a little walking to start up the conversation and then I'll do a little running. I'll tell them I'm just warming up for the big workout. They love that.

Women have always wanted to go out with me. It just comes natural.

Got my cholesterol checked today
    Tri's 105
    HDL 41
    LDL 83
    Total 145
    Total to HDL ratio 3.54

All good but need to work on my HDL. Last year before cleaning up my diet I was borderline high.
    Last edited by poe4soul; 12-20-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Your cholesterol level has more to do with genetics than what you are eating. Yours is incredibly low and you are lucky. Mine is very high even if I get down to my ideal weight. Mine will always be over 200 unless I take medication.

Your cholesterol level has more to do with genetics than what you are eating. Yours is incredibly low and you are lucky. Mine is very high even if I get down to my ideal weight. Mine will always be over 200 unless I take medication.
    Probably true. I was eating pretty healthy last year but had much more red meat and empty calories in my diet. Mine was over 200 with that diet. Like you said, the diet I'm on is pretty restrictive. It takes some real commitment to keep on it.

Probably true. I was eating pretty healthy last year but had much more red meat and empty calories in my diet. Mine was over 200 with that diet. Like you said, the diet I'm on is pretty restrictive. It takes some real commitment to keep on it.
    Got my cholesterol check back yesterday. Don't have the actual numbers at hand but all I can say is it was much improved over my previous, moderately high results. I had only been on my improved diet a short time at the time of the test so I am pleased with the result. I believe the diet plus an increase in exercise levels has lead to this improvement.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Well, that's pretty damn good if you lowered it by that much. Maybe I should give it a serious try. Can you recap what you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Like you, I hate taking a pill or putting any kind of medication in my body. This is the first time I've been on any kind of long term prescription and I hate the idea of it.

Mostly vegetables, some beans and wild rice with a bit of good protein. The more leafy green (kale is the best, iceberg the worst) the better, plus cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc.). I'm currently cutting out sugar, wheat, soy, dairy, grain fed red meat, chicken and turkey on a cleanse. I'll be putting all back into the diet one at a time to test for allergies. then incorporating the ones I don't react to back into the diet.

Here's a link to Dr. Fuhrman's page -> http://www.drfuhrman.com look under Library and under Health and Disease for Cholesterol.

Here's a line to another popular Dr. (There's 11 chapters in this playlist.) -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfq...QJlVfagF2fResK
    Last edited by poe4soul; 12-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Got my cholesterol check back yesterday. Don't have the actual numbers at hand but all I can say is it was much improved over my previous, moderately high results. I had only been on my improved diet a short time at the time of the test so I am pleased with the result. I believe the diet plus an increase in exercise levels has lead to this improvement.
    Good job. It's more reinforcing when you get results like that. The more I look into this the more I feel our diets have more to do with it than our exercise. Exercise does contribute but if you have a shitty diet there is only so much exercise can do.

Listen to a few minutes of this video . skip to 40:40.

I agree that diet is far more important to health than exercise. I think health and weight control is 70-80% about what you put in your mouth and exercise is the icing on the cake. In other words if you eat well in addition to exercise it's ideal. But if your diet is crap exercise won't make you healthy and makes weight loss difficult.

Prior to discovering low carb diets I remember trying to lose weight through running + cycling . After weeks and weeks of this i had lost a few kg and felt pretty good and fit but got nowhere near my goal weight. Then winter set in, I abandoned the exercise and quickly put all the weight back on. About 5 years later I discovered low carb eating and achieved my goal weight within about 6 weeks with no real increase in exercise apart from the occasional stroll around the block after dinner. The weight just seemed to melt away effortlessly and my health improved all round.

I've continued eating that way these past 10 years but I was kidding myself as I was eating far too much additional junk over and above the core meals. Going strict again the past few weeks has really made a difference.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Been through achilles tendonitis recently FD. Had to stop running for nearly 4 weeks. Couple of things that you may already know that i researched and discovered whilst in recovery mode. 1/ Need to get a running shoe that suits the shape of your foot and your running style. Not all shoes are made equal.
    2/ Stretching before and after is vital. In the case of achilles heel drops worked a treat.
    3/ When running keep the stride short enough that it feels like your foot is landing inline with your knee. The longer your gait or the more you stretch the stride out the more likely the feet and calf injuries occur.
    4/ If you are sore, keep hill work out of the run.
    After following this list i am now back to running 2-3 times a week, back up to 8-10k's once a week and 4k's the other runs. At my worst i struggled to walk or stay on my feet at work for a day.
    Tm Burner Superfast, r9 4 wood,Tm 09 19*/22*
    Mizuno mp52 5-pw,mpt10 52*/56*/60*
    SC Sonoma,optima ts

I think I'm in the best shape I've been in since college. In fact, I may be more cut now than I was back then. I'm an adonis.

I think I'm in the best shape I've been in since college. In fact, I may be more cut now than I was back then. I'm an adonis.
    Not a 5'8" and 150#'s. You're just skinny.

Not a 5'8" and 150#'s. You're just skinny.
    'Bones' McCoy springs to mind rather than Adonis.

Now where the f#ck am I?

'Bones' McCoy springs to mind rather than Adonis.
    LOL. I'd post a photo but then I'd put you all to shame. Skinny? I think not. Cut up like a Ginsu boyyyeeeeee!

I'm not kidding. I look amazing for my age.

Saw this email today and thought of this discussion. He raises some of my questions about inconsistencies of cholesterol vs heart disease and answers some of them effectively. I had a physical this last month and was way less than impressed with my doctors knowledge on health care and disease prevention. I felt like she didn't know what to do or say if I didn't have a chronic condition or disease. On the flip side, I have a friend that has hypoglycemia and his doctor is treating him without considering the cause of the disease. In a nutshell, some hypoglycemia problems are an autoimmune problem and others are not. But they aren't even concerned about the cause just the script for the drugs. Granted autoimmune conditions are hard to solve but if he has one, why wouldn't you want to solve the underlying condition?

Anyway, watch this youtube on cholesterol.

Thread Information